Thread: Should I go cold "turkey"...lol?

Default Should I go cold "turkey"...lol?

I have been and vegetarian for about 4 years, but I ate diary and eggs. I thought that it was going to be difficult but it was not. Even at age 10 I found my self sickened about 1/3 the way through a hamburger. I decided to try it and I have never looked back. I LOVE vegetables and they were always the stars of the meals in my home. And I have a passion for cooking. But, how hard will it be to incorporate all of these new recipes. I want to drop all the dairy and eggs but that kills my recipe collection (although it is vegetarian).

I guess my main question is I have this HUGE health food store here (Earth Fare) and I have access to all my wildest vegan dreams. Should I take 2-3 weeks to slowly get my head around it and gobble up the contents of the fridge…or purge my fridge while I am motivated? Did anyone in here have a rough time with it? I have wanted to do this for quite a long time but, boy oh boy, this is a serious change. I have always had an extremely healthy diet, and I know it will continue to be so but will a sudden change break me…lol? How about trying to reduce the intake of eggs and dairy by 50% for a month?

So, it all boils down to… 1. Take my time and incorporate more and more vegan in my diet…or 2. Just clean house and do it.

I appreciate your help and I am sure you have been asked this question before but I am excited and just wanted to ask right away. Thanks all!!!!

Michelle

hi michelle - only you know inside how comfortably you feel taking any of the options to convert! if you want to take it one day/week at a time getting a bit more info and tips on changing over, great! (no need to feel guilty about taking it slowly if thats your gut feeling, we each have our own way), if you dump your cupboard and can invest in a new food supply and you feel confident about replacing foods, equally great!
    - for me, thinking back i gradually decreased over a period of about a month, doing more and more each day to cut out the dairy and eggs and then one day just decided that tomorrow was D-day and that was it. i'm still learning about vitamins and minerals in foods etc but had been veggie for 15yrs so i felt i had a fair grounding, been vegan now for 4 months and i love it!
    good luck - and keep posting!

Honestly, how much work is it. Do you have to ask a lot of questions when you go out to eat? Do you find yourself with very few options in social settings. I don't think that this would really effect my decision. I am just trying to get my head arnound it. Thanks all!!

Michelle

Live off less...and live more!

I went from omni to vegan over a period of about 2 weeks - I just continued eating the food I had at home, and added something new everyday or so. I think, that it would be less stressful to do it more gradually, though.

It did change my social life a bit - in that I didn´t know that my friends would be so concerned - worrying about where I could go to eat with them, or if they invited me to dinner, what would I eat, etc. etc. There were no big problems though.

I haven´t had much trouble at restaurants - I used to ask alot of questions when I was an omni anyway, so it wasn´t a big change for me -

The only `work` I felt was the first few weeks of learning new foods and recipes.

the recipes are fine still using egg replacer and soymilk. thats what i use and i dont have any problem.

i went vegan right after watching the peta video on animal torture. i couldnt imagine putting anything animal in my mouth after that. it depends on whats right for u. i would personally prefer just doing it right away. why would u want to "ween" off of animal products. just stop eating them.

i dont have too much of a problem in restaurants. i just always eat salads or fries lol.

Hello there. I recently became a vegetarian about two months ago, after sixteen years of being an omni. After I read what went on on dairy and egg farms, I knew I wanted to go vegan. I began purchasing vegan replacements for my makeup, shampoos, soaps, deodorents, etc and gave my other things to the other members of my family. After I finally went grocery shopping to get some necessary vegan items (soy milk, egg replacer, etc), I went vegan last week, cold "turkey".

It has been a difficult week but I feel it's worth it. I'm slightly going through cheese and sour cream withdrawls (soy cheese tastes nothing like the real thing, in my opinion), lol, and I do miss ice cream a bit, although tofutti is very good and almost exactly like ice cream.

So anway, to sum up, I encourage you to go cold "turkey." It's not that bad as long as you remember why you're doing it. And you still get to have some really delicious (and healthy!) food!

x Jamie
    miss_taken77@hotmail.com

P.S.
    I noticed your avatar. Do you do henna? I've been doing henna also for about three years now.

Well, ah. As someone who spent a long time going from vegetarian to vegan, I can confidently say there was no reason for me to have been vegetarian. Veganism is not that hard as long as change doesn't frighten you. I do recommend that you don't do it half-assed. Seriusly learn about nutrition so you don't have problems. too many people fail at veganism and vegetarianism because they just cut out meat and eat whatever is left. You have to learn new foods.