Thread: Roadkill: Deer killed in car accident - would you eat it?

Default Roadkill: Deer killed in car accident - would you eat it?

My boss at work accidently hit and killed a deer with his car.He took the thing and cooked it up made jerkey and was giving to people at work.He tried to mess with me and offered me some i, didnt eat it but in this case i see nothing wrong with using what would otherwise be wasted roadkill for food .What do you think?

I don't think animals should ever be considered food.

Tragic accident, and a bit of an odd thing to do.. personally I wouldn't do it, I'd let mother nature take its course and let all the local wildlife have a feed.

I don't have a problem seeing animals as food, if I had no alternative I would eat meat, it's the way we do it at the moment I have a problem with.

i would have no idea about cutting up, cleaning and cooking a deer! ugh although i guess its not against the law is it? does your boss know your stand point? why do folk like to try and provoke others this way? i am thinking along the same lines as cloudy - that the wildlife and birds should finish off this sad accident, kind of cycle of life thing.
    i thought in the UK that if one hits and kills a deer it needed to be reported to someone? anyone know about this?

Quote Themightyzero
    My boss at work accidently hit and killed a deer with his car.He took the thing and cooked it up made jerkey and was giving to people at work.He tried to mess with me and offered me some i, didnt eat it but in this case i see nothing wrong with using what would otherwise be wasted roadkill for food .What do you think?

It just seems like a bizarre thing to do to me - I doubt that its legal - and I wonder - does this guy have the experience to skin and cut up an animal properly? I would think you could get sick if you donīt know what youīre doing. Also, how would you know the deer was safe to eat ? It could have been ill or carrying any kind of disease, etc. I think, if I accidently killed an animal, the last thing I would think of is eating it - just seems bizarre - I wouldnīt think of a deer as food in any situation.

Morally, I canīt describe how I see it very well, except that it seems a perverse thing to do -

I wonder - are you sure he hit and killed a deer accidently, or was he just hiding something he did illegally?

Excuse my scepticism here - just wondering what are the odds that someone causing a road accident would also be capable and have the facilities to cut up the animal. (Think of the mess, for example.)

regards,
    globesetter

It is strange. though I dont have problems with people eating meat, I couldnt and wouldnt do it. I know plenty of omnivores who wouldnt either.

He tried to mess with me and offered me some
    I would keep a note of this, or maybe make a formal complaint, as its harrassment.

julieruble

As for offering it to you if he knew you were vegan, that's inconsiderate.

The idea of cooking and eating an animal that has been killed by accidental causes, I think, is reverent. It's a way to make use of something that may not otherwise be used (except as fertilizer). I can't think of a better way to exhibit love after death than to be useful for others--that's why I'm an organ donor. I think, after death, it'd be an honor to be useful for something. I don't think it's disrespectful to the deer at all.

Also, as for skills in cutting up deer...depending on where you live, it might be a pretty common skill to have.

Pooh

I would not eat it. I would find it even more disgusting than the idea of eating an animal I hadn't seen. There's nothing in me that would want to be involved in cutting up, cleaning and cooking a deer. I wouldn't eat my dog if it died either, I don't consider it "useful" at all.

but in this case i see nothing wrong with using what would otherwise be wasted roadkill for food
    I agree. I wouldn't have wanted to eat it either but I suppose (being charitable!) that your boss might conceivably have thought if your objection to meat-eating was an objection to intentionally killing animals for food, you wouldn't mind eating it in those special circs?

Ok, so the deer died by accident. But saying you would eat it, isn't that saying vegans crave meat ?

Quote gertvegan
    Ok, so the deer died by accident. But saying you would eat it, isn't that saying vegans crave meat ?
    I re read the post who said they would eat it?

I guess the reason i see it the way i do is that, these people eat meat everyday anyway.The deer in this situation lead a free life and died a quick death.Compared to say their lunch this animal got a good deal.

I live in northwest Indiana and we have an insane amount of deer here.If the deer is hit and left it doesnt stay long on the side of the road.They are picked up by city trucks and taken god knows where.So the wildlife wouldnt have got to eat it either.Where i live cleaning and cooking deer is pretty common knowledge.Its also not at all rare for people to have extra deer meat or jerky so when he brough it in everyoines just kinda like hey yea sure.

Its interesting and beauitful to see people here that think hitting an animal with a car then eating is kinda wack.I need to move.

Quote julieruble
    I don't think that's a bad thing. Being a vegan doesn't mean you don't like the taste of meat, or that you don't crave it. It means you've taken a stand (often based on the belief that it's wrong to kill animals) against killing animals by not eating/using them regardless of how you feel about the taste of meat.

Maybe some of you don't like meat, or crave it. But I'm willing to bet there are plenty of vegans who do, but have decided against eating it anyway. I've heard several vegans say they miss the taste of cheese. It's not a bad thing.

I have never heard of a vegetarian or vegan who missed or craved eating meat, I have heard of several people who miss cheese, but if they eat it, they feel sick.

I suppose people who make the change from omni to veg*n overnight would have times when they miss eating meat or something, but if you have not eaten meat for a few months, it starts to look and smell disgusting.

I have been cooking organic chicken for my sick dog lately, and the smell and look of it makes me sick - I canīt eat for several hours afterwards, and I have to disinfect the kitchen and air out the apt - even though I use the vent over the stove and keep the window open. I canīt believe I used to eat it because it smells so vile to me now.

That is not to say, the if someone craves a non-vegan food, they are bad, but I donīt think that was the point of the above post - I think the point is that many non-veg*ns think we must be feeling deprived and craving something that we are `not allowed` to eat.

regards,
    globesetter

julieruble

I think I read the post differently. I thought it was implying that it would be a negative thing if you did crave meat.

Also, sorry to hear that your puppy's sick. What sort of sick?

Quote julieruble
    I think I read the post differenly. I thought it was implying that it would be a negative thing if you did crave meat.

Also, sorry to hear that your puppy's sick. What sort of sick?
    She just has worms and a light intestinal infection. She just finished anti biotics, and almost finished with her worm tablets.

She isnīt a puppy, though - between 2 adn 3 years old.

She has improved remarkably since I got her, though - sheīs a real eye catcher on the street!

regards,
    globesetter

well first of all, i have mixed views on this. but with what cloudy said, about letting the local wildlife feed on it, thats a very good viewpoint! i never even thought of that. =) i aggree to let mother nature do with it what she will. (my father is definitely sumbody who would do the same thing as to cook it up and offer it to his workers!)

and again, i aggree with cloudy, as i have no problem with other people eating meat, or eating it myself, but its the way we do it at the moment that causes me to make the choices i do.

by the way, i dont "crave" meat. but when i see people eating it, i say mmm that looks good or whatever. but often when i see meat i feel sick. (i cant go thru the meat section in the grocery store) it depends on how im feeling i suppose. sumtimes meat looks good sumtimes it doesnt. either way i dont eat it. lol.

julieruble

She just has worms and a light intestinal infection. She just finished anti biotics, and almost finished with her worm tablets.

She isnīt a puppy, though - between 2 adn 3 years old.
    Poor thing. Well I hope she feels better soon. By the way, I have a bad habit of calling all dogs puppies. Something to emphasize cuteness I guess, but it confuses everyone.

It may not be a craving for meat, but just a craving for the taste, texture, or smell of meat. Which can be found in mock meats, dairy alternatives etc.

Quote julieruble
    Being a vegan doesn't mean you don't like the taste of meat, or that you don't crave it. It means you've taken a stand (often based on the belief that it's wrong to kill animals) against killing animals by not eating/using them regardless of how you feel about the taste of meat.
    First, I don't think the word 'believe' is relevant - I've never met a vegan who says that he believes that it's wrong to kill animals. Humans are known to adjust their opinions according to their feelings. If we wouldn't feel that it's wrong to kill for food, we probably wouldn't be against it. What is important isn't how we feel about the taste, but what we re. killing an animal.

After some time, most veg*ns discover how disgusting the idea of eating other ex-living beings is. It really doesn't matter how it was killed. This might sound arrogant, but the only way to really understand this is to be grounded in feelings, and not in theories.

Re. "why others are not vegan".... why are those of you that participate in this thread (who are not vegans) not vegans? Or are you all vegans? I'm sure you are the most suitable in here to provide a proper answer to this question.

Why do you use animal products?

julieruble

First, I don't think the word 'believe' is relevant - I've never met a vegan who says that he believes that it's wrong to kill animals. Humans are known to adjust their opinions according to their feelings. If we wouldn't feel that it's wrong to kill for food, we probably wouldn't be against it. What is important isn't how we feel about the taste, but what we re. killing an animal
    I've heard "I believe it's wrong to kill animals" from plenty of vegans. I think, while it may be grounded in a disgust that animals die, period, for some people, for others it's just that they don't like HOW animals die and/or that they die for OUR use. For instance, I don't think anyone has a problem with a deer dying a natural death. Whether or not you'd think it was okay to eat that deer depends on your take on veganism. I don't think there's really a set vegan opinion.

Pooh

Quote julieruble
    For instance, I don't think anyone has a problem with a deer dying a natural death.
    Meaning what?

[/quote]I don't think there's really a set vegan opinion.[/QUOTE] Vegans are against killing animals - just like vegans are against killing humans. That is a very clear definition.

julieruble

I am fully aware that vegans are "against the killing of animals," but that has no bearing on whether or not a vegan feels all right about eating animals who were NOT killed (i.e. died a natural death) or who were not killed FOR FOOD (i.e. died an accidental death by car--so, it was killed, but not for food).

Quote julieruble
    I am fully aware that vegans are "against the killing of animals," but that has no bearing on whether or not a vegan feels all right about eating animals who were NOT killed (i.e. died a natural death) or who were not killed FOR FOOD (i.e. died an accidental death by car--so, it was killed, but not for food).
    I know many vegans (15-20 of them) and none of them would eat a deer, or any other animal that was accidentally killed, or died a natural death. Most vegans who have not eaten animal products for awhile, donīt see animals as food in any situation.

The only time the vegans I know would eat meat would be in a life or death situation where they were starving and there was nothing else to eat.

The majority of vegans donīt consider animals food, no matter how they were killed or died.

It would not occur to me to eat an animal that had died by the road or any such thing. The thought is pretty revolting actually - More likely, I would want to bury it.

regards,
    globesetter

i dont think shes saying she knows vegans who would EAT another animal. i think shes just talking more about the beliefs, as they can range from person to person. if u are vegan u obviously arent going to eat meat. but alot of vegans feel diffrent towards meat i suppose. i think thats what her point was?

Julie said:

but that has no bearing on whether or not a vegan feels all right about eating animals who were NOT killed ...

And I said:

I know many vegans who do not feel alright about eating animals in any situation.

I am not saying what all vegans would do - that would be impossible as I do not know all vegans. I was just sharing my experience.

regards,
    globesetter

julieruble

I am not saying what all vegans would do - that would be impossible as I do not know all vegans. I was just sharing my experience.
    Yes--that's my point. Someone posited a reasont that vegans don't eat meat, and I wanted to point out that the little complexities in that reason differ from person to person and so you can't really say "vegans feel this way, and so they would do this." This is something that I've observed during my time at the forum.

perhaps the majority (my quote) of vegans are so because its an animal rights/welfare thing, there will be others who are because they dont like the taste of meat and dairy, again more may do it just for their health and yet others have an allergy. there may be folk who are vegan for a mixture of these reasons. idont think its right to generalise, just because most are vegan on this forum, on the reasons and motivations of folk. i think we generalise all the time about various stuff but it can lead to misunderstandings.
    just my euro's worth

Hmmmm well there's just something about the thought of eating a piece of decaying flesh off the side of the road that is quite repulsive. And that is my vegan opinion

Roxy

lol yes that idea doesnt really float my boat either. it kindof sinks it :\

I just hope I don't get run over by your boss!

I agree with phillip!

Where I live it is not legal to use your car instead of your deer rifle in the off-season to bring down game for the freezer. If a person accidentally hits and mortally wounds an animal then reports it, the game department will come and collect the remains for SARVEY which is a wild life rehabilitation center specializing in birds of prey such as eagles and hawks to eat while they recover from injuries.

Quote Aristarchus
    I agree with phillip!

Where I live it is not legal to use your car instead of your deer rifle in the off-season to bring down game for the freezer. If a person accidentally hits and mortally wounds an animal then reports it, the game department will come and collect the remains for SARVEY which is a wild life rehabilitation center specializing in birds of prey such as eagles and hawks to eat while they recover from injuries.

What a great idea!

regards,
    globesetter