Thread: Acid Alkaline

Default Acid Alkaline

I couldn't seem to find a thread about this anywhere. Does anyone monitor their PH or eat food to keep it in balance?
    When someone says eat 80% alkaline and 20% acidic what exactly does that mean? By weight? Or maybe by calorie?

Thanks!
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Default Re: Acid Alkaline

I try to eat the most alkaline foods possible. Alkaline means foods that have an alkalizing effect on the body: fruits, vegetables, some raw nuts. Pretty much everything else is acid- forming in the body. I don't know if it's by weight or calorie that's a good question but I don't think it really matters much, just try to eat the most alkaline foods that you can.
    isawearthlings.com

Doesn't the body do its own balancing?
    Eve

Well, your body maintains a nearly constant pH in the stomach of around 1-2 and slightly higher in the small intestine. The blood pH is also held constant at 7.4. It's not really possible to alter your pH in some systems in your body - it would be deadly if what we ate just constantly changed these values. Perhaps eating "alkaline-forming" foods has something to do with making it easier to maintain these pHs(?) I really don't know.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

My understanding is that it changes the ph of your urine. A very alkaline PH can give you bladder infections supposedly, like, there isn't enough acid to burn up the infection.

Somehow this translates to other areas of your body also.
    Maybe it only effects it by a very small percent but that percent is a huge difference to your body?

http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/Art...id_alk_bal.htm

I went to a dr who does MANY alternative medicine options as well and she introduced me to the ph level stuff. It took me a while to get it up where it should be. (Lots of pee measuring.) She explained to me that there is now a lot of interest in ph levels as they are learning through research that a body that is acidic is prone to disease. She was working with a group of women suffering from breast cancer and was teaching them to manage their ph levels because of this. Stress lowers the ph dramatically. It is all tied into an unhealthy cycle. So, by raising your ph to the healthy level your whole body is more equipped to be dis-ease free. Since then I have read lots about it and see that it is becoming a more 'popular' thing for mainstream medicine too. She said that when she feels a little off (even just emotionally) she tests her ph and often that can be what is causing her off-ness. Fascinating!!!!!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Haniska, thanks for the url, but that text simply appears to be just gobbledegook! Perhaps I'm biased because Weston A Price is a 'milk pusher' whose organisation has spread false information about soymilk causing all sorts of ills, wheareas REAL milk is great! Yeah, right.

As I said in posting #3, surely our bodies do their own balancing?
    Eve

I dunno, the link worked for me. I imagine the whole thing is possible, after all some vegans suffer constipation... why doesn't my body just relocate all that water?

Hi.

I am new to the forums and this is my first post. As far as our own bodies balancing acid and alkaline itself, I think that maybe a body that is already balanced in everyway may do this. I know for myself, that I have to be very careful to eat a diet that is mostly alkaline. It's one of the reasons I am now vegan ....that and living next to a dairy farm at calving time.

Quote eve View Post
    Haniska, thanks for the url, but that text simply appears to be just gobbledegook! Perhaps I'm biased because Weston A Price is a 'milk pusher' whose organisation has spread false information about soymilk causing all sorts of ills, wheareas REAL milk is great! Yeah, right.

As I said in posting #3, surely our bodies do their own balancing?
    Well, I suppose in a natural world perhaps this isn't a problem. But stress, poor diet, lack of sleep and all that stuff make an acid body.

If I pee and test it and it is low ph, I can drink a heap of water, eat some almonds and test it again and it will be raised. So, we certainly can and should influence our ph levels.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Haniska View Post
    My understanding is that it changes the ph of your urine. A very alkaline PH can give you bladder infections supposedly, like, there isn't enough acid to burn up the infection.
    That happened to me once. I was eating 100 percent raw and my body had an alkaline overload, which is nearly impossible but it happened to me! I was so upset because I was doing everything right and I got sick.

I went to a holistic doctor and he checked my PH and told me to eat more acidic for a few days.

After eating foods like manna bread, cooked corn and potatoes I felt really good again.

People on the raw forums were cursing me up and down, saying how WRONG I was and that no one can EVER be too alkaline. Well, guess what? I was.

Our body chemistry is so different from each others, I've really come to believe no one way is the right way. (Except being vegan, of course, but some of us have to work harder at it than others).