Thread: Mexico

Default Mexico

I am going to Mexico in a few weeks and was wondering how to say the word Vegan and words like no meat, no dairy, animal free?

ANy help is appreciated.

thanks
    Ann

Default Re: Mexico

I'm not from Mexico, but I'm from Chile, another Latin American country (which is farther from Mexico than PA), but we speak Spanish, even if it is a different culture and even if we often use different words for similar things (akin to the UK and Australia vs US English).

In Chile, the word "vegan" doesn't exist, so some people just say, "vegano", but more often, hipsters just say, "vegan", with spanish pronounciation. Frankly, very few people, other than vegan punk rockers know what the means...

Most people don't even understand what "vegetariano" means. There, the idea of "naturista" is more common, which is more like a "health food eater" in the states: mostly fresh veggies, and an occasional boiled egg or fresh fish on top. Not very veg*n at all.

So what I've found most useful is to just say, "sin carne, sin queso, leche, pescado, ave, o caldos que no son de verduras." Si queiro: fideos, sal, pan (echo sin manteca), porotos (frijoles? in Mexico?), calabaza, verduras, frutas, azucar, etc."

Then again, it depends on where you go. I tend to stay with my family, and they help me look out for non-vegan foods. I also tend to go to rural areas, and after going to Chile and living there as a vegan, I also know the vegan friendly restaurants.

If you are staying in rural Mexico (as I've done once), then it is A LOT harder without really knowing the language. Ironically, vegan food is easy to find, but it is all about the language. Most people expect non-natives to eat specific foods, and even if you tell them otherwise, it is hard for them to listen and hear what you say that contradicts their ideas of what they think you expect.
    context is everything

A very good friend of mine stayed in Mexico for a few weeks recently, and described it as vegan heaven. Lots of good vegan food to be found, with stores like Super Soya (Mexico City). Good luck on your trip.

seitan

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I'm not from Mexico, but I'm from Chile, another Latin American country (which is farther from Mexico than PA), but we speak Spanish, even if it is a different culture and even if we often use different words for similar things (akin to the UK and Australia vs US English).

In Chile, the word "vegan" doesn't exist, so some people just say, "vegano", but more often, hipsters just say, "vegan", with spanish pronounciation. Frankly, very few people, other than vegan punk rockers know what the means...

Most people don't even understand what "vegetariano" means. There, the idea of "naturista" is more common, which is more like a "health food eater" in the states: mostly fresh veggies, and an occasional boiled egg or fresh fish on top. Not very veg*n at all.

So what I've found most useful is to just say, "sin carne, sin queso, leche, pescado, ave, o caldos que no son de verduras." Si queiro: fideos, sal, pan (echo sin manteca), porotos (frijoles? in Mexico?), calabaza, verduras, frutas, azucar, etc."

Then again, it depends on where you go. I tend to stay with my family, and they help me look out for non-vegan foods. I also tend to go to rural areas, and after going to Chile and living there as a vegan, I also know the vegan friendly restaurants.

If you are staying in rural Mexico (as I've done once), then it is A LOT harder without really knowing the language. Ironically, vegan food is easy to find, but it is all about the language. Most people expect non-natives to eat specific foods, and even if you tell them otherwise, it is hard for them to listen and hear what you say that contradicts their ideas of what they think you expect.
    i have vegansxe contacts in mexico, seems they have a really good scene there, musically, but they also really care about a/r stuff.

paragonx, check out this myspace link (if you have mysapce) and tel lthem rat sent you to them for info

http://www.myspace.com/xvladyx

Where are you going in Mexico? I used to live there and if you're going somewhere I've been, I could point you in the right direction. Also, are you staying in a hotel, hostel, with a family, or traveling about?

Ezme

Thanks for all the help everyone. We are going to Cancun. The hotel is all inclusive and from what i understand is vegan friendly. But we are planning some day trips to rural areas, that is what has me most concerned.

Thanks Again,
    Ann

I haven't been to Cancún unfortunately, but I can give you a little information. You should be able to get lots of fruits and veggies in all areas of the city. They usually chop up mango, pineapple, papaya, watermelon, jicama, and cucumber and then sell them together in a big cup with a fork or toothpick. They put lime (limón), salt (sal), and chile on them. If you ask for it natural (natural, but pronounced nah-two-rahl) they'll make it plain. You can also, usually, get gorditas or other corn based things in the markets or restaurants, you just need to avoid the beans. They usually put lard in the beans. I've noticed that they've started to have more vegetarian options in other parts of Mexico. They have nopales (cactus paddles) and mushroom (champiñones/hongos) tacos.

Usually they understand if you say "No como nada de origin animal" or I eat nothing that comes from animals. I usually, when eating out, just stick to fruits and plain tortillas just to be safe - I´m gluten intolerant too, so I have to be really careful about stuff. Overall, they're really good about respecting it, but sometimes people, from the USA as well, are just totally clueless that cheese comes from milk which comes from animals.

One thing I would recommend is to ask the people at the hotel for ideas about things to eat since they probably know the area and local cuisine. The hotel staff should all speak English and will hopefully be able to tell you and to write down the names of things for you.

Have fun! I went to Central Mexico for Christmas to see my boyfriend and it snowed!

I just bought a book by Kippy Nigh who has a restaurant and bakers in San Cristobal de las Casas. She is a strict vegetarian and her recipes are often vegan. I haven't read the book yet but it looks good. She gives a couple of websites to learn about Mexican products
    www.mexgrocer.com
    and www.piments.com

I was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for two weeks there is no problem being Vegan lots of food we found a great resteruante that served raw as weill as cooked plant foods. Lots of great coconuts drink the milk and than have them put the meat in a bag with lime and hot sauce this is a great snack. Where are you headed?