Thread: I shall have my damned chocolate raisins!

Default I shall have my damned chocolate raisins!

So I've been running around to local movie theaters a lot recently trying to catch all of the Oscar nominees before the show and, as a result, have found myself staring longingly at boxes of Raisinettes on more than one occasion. I'm thinking of trying to make my own this weekend. I buy a lot of Terra Nostra Organic Ricemilk Bars and am thinking that, perhaps, I could just melt a few of these down, pour some raisins (I assume they're vegan, right?) in there and then let them cool. Has anyone tried something like this, particularly with this sort of chocolate and, if so is there any trick to melting chocolate that doesn't have dairy properties?

I'm not really good in the kitchen but I'm thinking this sounds pretty simple, right?

Default Re: I shall have my damned chocolate raisins!

Quote Russell View Post
    So I've been running around to local movie theaters a lot recently trying to catch all of the Oscar nominees before the show and, as a result, have found myself staring longingly at boxes of Raisinettes on more than one occasion. I'm thinking of trying to make my own this weekend. I buy a lot of Terra Nostra Organic Ricemilk Bars and am thinking that, perhaps, I could just melt a few of these down, pour some raisins (I assume they're vegan, right?) in there and then let them cool. Has anyone tried something like this, particularly with this sort of chocolate and, if so is there any trick to melting chocolate that doesn't have dairy properties?

I'm not really good in the kitchen but I'm thinking this sounds pretty simple, right?
    ok, unfortunately i am not very good in the kitchen either. but i think it might just be the same as melting regular chocolate. i would look in to doing it in a double boiler type of thing so it doesn't melt and/or burn. also, have you ever tried carob? i have to say, it has been my savior now that i don't eat chocolate anymore. also, its less calories and fat than rice chocolate. i actually buy carob covered raisins at the grocery store where i shop. they are almost exactly like regular choc covered raisins.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Mahk

Much cheaper than vegan chocolate bars are vegan chocolate chips. They can easily be found even in common supermarkets often in the "health food" section. Try this but replace the peanuts with raisins, of course, and replace the alternate butterscotch chips with just more of the same:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/112327

I made a peanut butter cup topped with peanuts this way. It was spectacular, even better than Reese's in my opinion, but I must say I could be biased. [messy to eat though, I didn't have cupcake/muffin paper so I just used the bottom of a glass for a mold. Once solidified I ran the bottom of the glass under hot water to release it.]

I used a microwave on medium/low and stirred often to prevent burning.

You guys are the best! I've never had the carob ones, so I will be scoping out the grocery store for these on Friday! I will definitely use that recipe for my chocolate raisins too. I'll post and let you know it works out.

let us know how it works out...i used to be addicted to raisins in milk chocolate! and i still crave them sometimes!
    Piggy

Mmmmm yum! Mahk, that chocolate cup looks divine

Quote Roxy View Post
    Mmmmm yum! Mahk, that chocolate cup looks divine
    haha! i know! i dont think i have ever seen a more vivid picture.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

JC

Quote Mahk View Post
    Much cheaper than vegan chocolate bars are vegan chocolate chips. They can easily be found even in common supermarkets often in the "health food" section. Try this but replace the peanuts with raisins, of course, and replace the alternate butterscotch chips with just more of the same:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/112327

I made a peanut butter cup topped with peanuts this way. It was spectacular, even better than Reese's in my opinion, but I must say I could be biased. [messy to eat though, I didn't have cupcake/muffin paper so I just used the bottom of a glass for a mold. Once solidified I ran the bottom of the glass under hot water to release it.]

I used a microwave on medium/low and stirred often to prevent burning.
    Woah..........how did you do that?! i've had peanut butter cups from veganstore.co.uk before, and i always wonder how they get the peanut butter actually inside the chocolate... did you just pour chocolate over the peanut butter? i am very impressed!!!

Use a double boiler for the chocolate to prevent it from burning. If you do not own one then they are easy to make. Find a bowl that sits on top of a saucepot without touching the bottom of the inside. Put the chocolate you are intending on using in the bowl and put about and inch or two of water in the pot itself making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Put on the stove top. The indirect heat of the steam to the chocolate to melt will keep it from burning.
    mmmmmmm...cupcakes

Mahk

Quote JC View Post
    Woah..........how did you do that?!
    I used a tapered drinking glass. Fill with a small amount of liquefied vegan chocolate chips from microwave or double boiler method forming a small disk at the bottom. Put a generous dollop of peanut butter (optionally pre-mixed with sweetener, I used Florida Crystals brand natural cane sugar) in the center of the disk, forming a mountain in the center of the chocolate puddle. Fill the glass with the rest of the chocolate liquid until the peanut butter is just covered. Add nuts optionally. Put in freezer. Come back an hour or more later and release from glass by running hot water over the glass until a thin amount of the chocolate re-liquefies and the cup tumbles out into the sink, er, I mean your hand. Place on a plate and return to the freezer for 10 minutes to solidify that partial outer layer you just melted.

Eat.

I advise cupcake/muffin papers instead, both for ease and keeping your fingers clean while you eat it, but I didn't have any at the time.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I used a tapered drinking glass. Fill with a small amount of liquefied vegan chocolate chips from microwave or double boiler method forming a small disk at the bottom. Put a generous dollop of peanut butter (optionally pre-mixed with sweetener, I used Florida Crystals brand natural cane sugar) in the center of the disk, forming a mountain in the center of the chocolate puddle. Fill the glass with the rest of the chocolate liquid until the peanut butter is just covered. Add nuts optionally. Put in freezer. Come back an hour or more later and release from glass by running hot water over the glass until a thin amount of the chocolate re-liquefies and the cup tumbles out into the sink, er, I mean your hand. Place on a plate and return to the freezer for 10 minutes to solidify that partial outer layer you just melted.

Eat.

I advise cupcake/muffin papers instead, both for ease and keeping your fingers clean while you eat it, but I didn't have any at the time.
    I can't wait to try this! Where did you get the vegan chocolate chips? I buy carob chips at the store just to snack on when i am in the mood for a little "chocolate" but i haven't seen vegan chocolate chips. I guess the carob might work the same. I wonder what almond butter would taste like in there. MMM....this is gonna be fun!!

Mahk

Shaw's supermarket health food section. Sorry, I don't think they're in NJ but try other stores. Do you have Trader Joe's near you? Whole Foods Market? They might be good. Next time I go I'll read what brand they are so locating them should be easier. I should report back within a few days.

They actually had two kinds right next to each other possibly even from the same brand but only one was marked as vegan. The only thing that may have made the "non-vegan" one not OK is that the sugar may have been "possibly" filtered through bone char or mixed in the same mixer that they make their milk chocolate chips in (cross contamination or "made in a facility that also makes milk chocolate"). I usually don't worry about such things.

Try these if you can get them at your grocery store:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=457241

Quote Mahk View Post
    Shaw's supermarket health food section. Sorry, I don't think they're in NJ but try other stores. Do you have Trader Joe's near you? Whole Foods Market? They might be good. Next time I go I'll read what brand they are so locating them should be easier. I should report back within a few days.

They actually had two kinds right next to each other possibly even from the same brand but only one was marked as vegan. The only thing that may have made the "non-vegan" one not OK is that the sugar may have been "possibly" filtered through bone char or mixed in the same mixer that they make their milk chocolate chips in (cross contamination or "made in a facility that also makes milk chocolate"). I usually don't worry about such things.
    yeah, i do try to avoid things like that if i can, but i will have to check in whole foods. also, have you ever used cocoa nibs? i always see them but i never really know what i would do with them if i bought them, haha. i guess i could always just buy a dairy free chocolate bar or 2 and use that. i will find a way!

Quote Roxy View Post
    Try these if you can get them at your grocery store:

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=457241
    oooh! i have seen this brand in a bar at the stores, but i haven't taken notice as to whether they have the bag of chips or not. i will have to keep my eyes open, thanks!

The rice milk chocolates don't tend to behave in quite the same way as other chocolate. I tried to melt and mould the Organica rice milk and white chocolate type things for Easter Eggs and although they looked pretty and tasted okay the texture went a bit fudgy/grainy. You are probably better off using a dark chocolate than a "milk" chocolate, for melting and coating.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple