Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: coffee: to drink or not to drink

Default Re: coffee: to drink or not to drink

y'all are helpful. today i had a "venti" cup from *bucks, which is what, 3 cups? and a medium decaf at afternoon. my plan is to keep it to 2-3 cups of regular in the morning, cut out the decaf, drink lots of tea, and in 2 weeks cut it out entirely.

PLAN, baby!

I agree with snivelingchild--I'm all for purity of consumption.

I still think 1 cup a day isn't going to kill you
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    ok ok, i agree with both of you. s.c. cuz i'm from the "all or nothing" camp, sandra cuz i like my small pleasures in life.

small pleasures vs. virtue?? aaahhhhhhh!

Quote sandra View Post
    Right. It's not going to kill you. It might however, slightly increase how often you get headaches or migraines, like adding a one more headache a month. It might add slightly more pain to menstruation. It will run slightly more stress on your adrenal gland, which might cause problems with hormone production at a slightly younger age. It might make it slightly harder your you to get to sleep.

That's the point. If you go form 2 cups a day to one, you cut your symptoms in half, but they're still there. Even if you don't notice symptoms, the effects on the body are still being done. You can't feel cholesterol from a small low-fat yogurt every day, but it builds up over years, and people who suffer blot clots are thoes with less than 50% cholesterol blockage, not those with severe blockage. Every little bit helps, and every little bits hurts.

Like I said, this isn't an issue about coffee itself. There's hard-core proof that caffeine has these effects on the body. It's about personal choice, and whether one has preferences for doing as much as they can to help themselves, or doing things in moderation to cut down on ill effects, while still enjoying whatever activities they feel attatched too. I hope some of you continue to enjoy your (fair-trade, vegan) coffee. For those who want to quit, try some grain-based coffee substitutes, while weening down your caffeine levels.

I've just recently decided to cut out chocolate bars. It seems to be too much caffeine at one time, resulting in a migraine and general crap feeling every time. I'm going to switch to carob in baked goods, and only have chocolate in small amounts elsewhere. All that sugar at once wasn't good for me anyway.

I never got used to coffee, I don't like the taste. I usually got my morning wake-up from a super sugary cereal. I've finally quit store bought cereal and make my own granola now, with only 1/2 cup maple syrup per 8 cups of granola. Some cereals have sugar as the number 1 ingredient

I feel bad for my boyfriend though, because he has to drink one cup of coffee every day, or else he has a terrible headache bordering on migraine that lasts the rest of the day. He had spinal surgery at the age of 12, and the headaches started shortly after. It wasn't for a couple years that he discovered a cup of coffee in the morning would prevent them from happening. He can't even stay in bed after waking up in the morning (like I usually do ) because if he doesn't get his coffee soon after waking up, he gets a headache that won't go away for the rest of the day. I suppose a strong headache pill would do the trick as well, but he would take coffee over pills any day.

But I would say avoid coffee if you can, or at least limit it as much as you feel comfortable with.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    I've just recently decided to cut out chocolate bars. It seems to be too much caffeine at one time, resulting in a migraine and general crap feeling every time. I'm going to switch to carob in baked goods, and only have chocolate in small amounts elsewhere. All that sugar at once wasn't good for me anyway.

I really admire your willpower snivellingchild!
    I used to think I had a strong will and could do anything I put my mind to but I know I just couldn't give up chocolate!
    Good on you for being able to eradicate from your diet everything you feel is harmful.
    I wish I could do the same, only I would miss my chocolate cake and red wine too much!
    I think I could ditch the one cup of coffee I drink each day far quicker than I could give up chocolate!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Mind you, there have been suggestions that coffee has one or two health benefits, e.g. in relieving depression - http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...283/5407/1445a

Not sure how far this research has got though!

Pilaf

Quote harpy View Post
    Mind you, there have been suggestions that coffee has one or two health benefits, e.g. in relieving depression - http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...283/5407/1445a

Not sure how far this research has got though!
    Again...it covers the symptoms of depression, just as it covers the symptoms of sleeplessness. It's a tradeoff, really. You get a slightly more uplifted feeling, but with all the extra baggage that comes from having a destructive substance in your veins. It builds up over time and damages the body, and then I suppose you'd be even more depressed than you were to begin with.

There are better ways to combat depression. When I did it, I looked to the roots of what was making me unhappy as a person. I lost a lot of weight, got in shape, became more social. One of the things I actually gave up to combat depression was caffeine because I was relying on it too much for energy. I found that by taking away the crutch, I was forced to educate myself about nutrition and proper sleeping patterns. As a result, most of the physical and mental pain I had had disappeared!

Don't trust any study promoting slight supposed health effects of any substance, especially if there's sufficient evidence it's bad for you. There aren't many common ailments that can't be fixed by simply adjusting one's life style a bit.

Yes, you have to be careful about who is funding a given scientific study, and also about assuming causality when there's no evidence of it - the reported negative correlation between suicide and caffeine intake might just mean, for example, that depressed people tend to give up caffeine.

However, I'd say the jury's still out about whether a moderate caffeine intake is necessarily bad for everyone.

Russ

I'm pretty sure coffee would only affect me negatively if I ever tried to STOP drinking it ... at the moment I'm in an equilibrium ... stress levels are generally -low- (or at least no higher than they were PRE-caffeine dependency) ... I have NO problems falling asleep, I'm usually out like a light in less than a minute (I used to be fairly insomniac before I started drinking coffee regularly). Managing to actually get up in the morning is a whole different story and one in which I generally -FAIL- before even managing to brew a cup ... it's actually becoming an issue that is impinging on my life ... NEW THREAD TIME ... *check this forum in a few moments*

Quote sandra View Post
    I really admire your willpower snivellingchild!
    I used to think I had a strong will and could do anything I put my mind to but I know I just couldn't give up chocolate!
    Good on you for being able to eradicate from your diet everything you feel is harmful.
    I wish I could do the same, only I would miss my chocolate cake and red wine too much!
    I think I could ditch the one cup of coffee I drink each day far quicker than I could give up chocolate!
    Thanks, but it's not really will power. I get far more pain from a 24-hours migraine (and this happens every single time), then the enjoyment of 1/2 a chocolate bar. I'll still enjoy the occasional chocolate in something, unless it would taste just as good with carob, which it often does. I'm just adding to my enjoyment, because migraines are no fun.

The migraines actually occur because of the dehydrating effect of caffeine (50% of all migraines are caused by dehydration) and it happens even if I drank more than 64oz. of water that day. Well, actually, I guess it could also be caused by the change in blood pressure it causes. Eh, who cares?

And I'm not just sensitive to caffeine, I used to have about 600mg a day with no symptoms, because I was used to it. Now, if I have one caffeinated beverage, I get terribly painful to the touch breasts, along with a headache. That's another thing it can cause, fibromyalgic symptoms. Just because you get used to a drug, doesn't mean it's not doing it's work. My mother-in-law and her mother were both very sensitive to caffeine and couldn't have caffeinated cola or coffee without going to the hospital. She did, however, keep her addiction to chocolate. She had so many health problems anyway, she needed it.

I quit drinking coffee 3 months ago and i'm so glad i did. I didn't realise the effect it had on me until i quit, the first week without was horrible. I had headaches and couldn't concentrate, basically, i slept most of the week. That alone is for me a good reason to not drink it anymore, i don't like to be so dependent on something. And, after the withdrawls were over, i felt so much better, i don't get tired in the afternoon anymore and don't have migraines as often as before.
    And, very important as a student, i save a lot of money .

In deference to the received wisdom I actually gave up coffee for two months a while back. In all honesty it didn't make a blind bit of difference way way or the other, so I figured I may as well carry on drinking it.

Nowadays I only ever have it black and have never taken sugar.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

cobweb

I have totally given up Coffee. The only caffeine i have now is in Hot Chocolate.
    I did try a sip of Coffee recently after not having any for months and it was horrible!.

Sometimes I want to quit coffee but I just love the taste so much!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Sometimes I want to quit coffee but I just love the taste so much!
    Sometimes I want to drink coffee but I hate the taste so much!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I love coffee. But I have *almost* given up it up and replaced it with not-so-caffeine laden tea. (I drink coffee usually about once a week, if I need something extra when studying or if I have a dessert that I really want coffee with). I have not made it in the morning though since last semester, and I used to take it every morning before class.
    tabbouleh-bouleh