Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Responding to questions and comments from non-vegans

Heya, my advice is to be patient and encouraging with him. Ask him what he ate during these few days he was off meat, its possible that he just ate what he normally ate except without the meat, and didn't get any good plant protein. I'm not sure about detox, as I didn't experience it personally, but encourage him to give it another go and give him some advice on eating a good balanced diet. Also if he said he felt better after he slept it was possible that he was just tired!
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: "Farming animals is more sustainable than farming plants"

Quote fabianv View Post
    How do I respond do that? thanks everyone!
    I don't know, most likely I would GROAN...

If people do not WANT to understand, then they will most likely disqualify everything you say as "your opinion" etc.

Best regards,
    Andy

Default Re: What do you say when...

Quote Susieannah View Post
    I know it's not my place to force veganism on anyone, and that's not what I'm trying to do, but I do want to let him know that that is a normal way to feel as all the crap leaves your body, and that it's worth persevering.

What do people think?
    Hi,

It's quite normal - when someone changes their food habits - that they miss the food you're used to for a little while. And some people have temp. negative reactions when trying to eat more healthy: not because the lack of meat, but becuse of lower blood sugar (if they eat less sugary/junk food), and some people also cut down on things like coffee etc , which can give them some reacions.

Or: they just eat what they used to eat - minus the meat - which probably means too little protein in addition to a rather boring experince for their tastebuds.

It could be anything, really, but you could always show him these polls:

More / less energy on a vegan diet?

How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Responding to questions and comments from non-vegans

This is a situation where I might recommend some of the more appetising meat subs, if someone eats quite poorly they might not be used to preparing healthy meals, if they can bung a veggie burger in place of the normal burger it might help them make the switch in a painless way. Alternatively, maybe he could try again in a more gradual way, alternating vegan days with non-vegan days until he gets more confident that he can eat just as well (in fact better) as a vegan.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thanks for all the advice! I'll keep up the encouragement and all, hopefully he will give it another chance.

He finally admitted the way he felt might not have been helped by the "loads of crispy coated peanuts" he ate. *rolls eyes* Why do people WANT veganism to be bad for you?!

Quote Susieannah View Post
    Why do people WANT veganism to be bad for you?!
    I think it's because people are terrified they might actually find it's good for you! Especially if they have a problem with actually making a change! I think lots of people tend to think 'Oh my god, what if that was the last bacon sandwich I'll ever eat?! Oh the horror!' and deep down don't want to like veganism because it'll take them past the point of no return! A bit like if you start a new job and don't really want to go, you will think of all the bad things so you can't admit that deep down it's ok
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

... because veganism being healthy renders their excuses ineffective.

Best regards,
    Andy

Crusty Rat

Nngh. Very irritated Rat wishes she didn't have anxiety and actually spoke up rather than getting wound up afterwards.

Still fuming about yesterday. Back at college, lunchtime. This woman who calls herself vegetarian was talking about how she doesn't eat fish very often, only when she "has to" or "there's no other option". She then starts saying she's vegetarian because of welfare reasons, she doesn't like how animals are treated on farms or that they're not allowed to live a natural life. She said that she's not against hunting because "in the end, animals eat animals, that's just the natural order of things" and, "theoretically, if I went out and shot a rabbit I could eat that but it just feels wrong" but "that's just how I feel" and "I don't want to push my opinion on anybody".

There were so many things wrong with what she was saying I didn't know where to start. Plus I guess I was still in shock from the quasi-racist comments she was making earlier that day. I really do wish I'd said something though, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.