Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Responding to questions and comments from non-vegans

Default Re: help me!

I must be a hard ass but if anyone came into my home and mocked me or raised their voice about something that I KNOW to be right and good...well, they can find their way to the door.
    I'm not saying that you should pick a fight, but I believe that we ought to stand up for what we believe in. I'm a grown up after all, and I won't be bullied by anyone. But that's just me.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

ConsciousCuisine

Wink Re: help me!

Quote tails4wagging
    If it was me and they insisted on cooking at your house, I would leave them to it say tat-ta and go out somewhere and have a nice vegan meal at a rest,. Tell them to lock up after them and post your (spare) key back through the letter box and make sure they wash up their disgusting dirty dishes after them.

^^ That's brilliantly beautiful and balanced, Tails!

There comes a time when you must decide if suffering the issues created by being a doormat is worth avoiding confrontation;do you want to speak up for yourself at the risk of upsetting others who have no regard for your feelings?
    What is wrong with telling the truth? If the truth upsets people, what does that signify? Why does it even have to *reflect* on you?

Anyone who is a loving person (and not socially stunted) will hear you express what your needs are. If they don't respect you after you've expressed your needs, they are evil. Period.

tails4wagging

Why dont you show them this forum and the replies you have had.

Say to them that it upsets you a lot to have any association with meat/fish.
    Make yourself beforehand a nice vegan dish and microwave it so distance yourself from their food.

How about finding info about veganism and lay it around your house before they come?.

Quote my3labs
    I must be a hard ass but if anyone came into my home and mocked me or raised their voice about something that I KNOW to be right and good...well, they can find their way to the door.
    Your not a hard ass, your just setting the rules for your home. That's the beauty of having your own place...if you don't want people to smoke, you say so...if you don't want people to eat meat in your home, you tell them...if you don't want anyone to wear shoes indoors, you ask them to take'em off...ok, you get my point!

Your not a hard ass...your an honest donkey!

(ok, it's late, I'm getting silly!)

Quote Dianecrna
    Flowers,
    It sounds as though you may be relatively new to veganism (and maybe you recently moved out of your parents' house?) If so, it may take time for your family to get used to the idea of something new in your life. Maybe you could say something like "Don't worry Dad, you'll get used to me making my own decisions in time" or "Holidays/ spending time with you/ etc isn't about the food, it's about the people." I've had to use these myself. We've all experienced strong reactions from family and friends at times. If you don't feel comfortable discussing why you're a vegan than just don't do it - no one questions people on why they eat animal products. Plus, I find that people get very defensive if you point out why you think what they eat is "bad." The time to do it is never when the cards are stacked against you - it's best one on one. And usually only if they are receptive to your opinions.

However, I know that family members can push your buttons like no one. So, good luck this weekend. We'll be thinking of you.
    You know, it's hard to tell if they're asking me because they're really curious and want to know, or because they kind of know what I'm going to say and want to start a little argument.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable discussing why I'm vegan. It's WHO I have to discuss it with. I love talking to some of my friends about it, and they love listening, it's just my family! Most of them are so used to heating up leftover chicken and cooking sate, that it makes me look like the bad guy.

Thank you all so much for trying to help. I'll definately tell everyone how it goes. Until then, goodnight!
    You Will. You? Will. You? Will. You? Will.

Quote flowersandbeads
    The family is coming over, and you know what that means...
    You'll probably get some of these comments:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3024
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I had an encounter with an aunt over a bbq lunch once. She asked me about my veganism and I gave her a brief answer, wanting to avoid discussing it over food. She replied rather stingily with: "well, whatever works best for you. It doesn't mean it will work for me though."

At the time I just accepted this as fair enough as I could've gotten a more disrespectful reply, but looking back it makes me very mad. Because being vegan is not for my own benefit, but for the benefit of every other selfish person on this planet, as well as the benefit of the environment and other creatures! She seemed to think it was a dietary choice, but it's really got very little to do with "whatever works best for me" at all, as health is the very last reason why i became vegan. I wish I'd had the incentive to retaliate now... grrr... Families suck sometimes.

I'm fortunate that when I go to my mom's to eat (like for a holiday), she'll make the side dishes vegan for me. She'll set aside a portion of sweet potatoes for me, THEN put the marshmallows on the rest. She'll take out some mashed potatoes for me THEN put in the milk. She'll get biscuits that I can eat. She'll by cranberry for me, even though no one else eats it. She'll ask me to bring my animal-free butter to use in place of her dairy kind.
    I never go with my husband to his family's on Thanksgiving or Easter. He goes there, I go to my mom's. They always ask where I am. Why would I go there if I can't eat anything?? He tells them I go to my mom's because she makes food I can eat.

Your dad is insisting on cooking sate? Why can't he make vegan sate? I make it all the time.

What's sate? Presumably something disgustingly meaty?

I agree with the people who said eat something other than lettuce and show them how good, healthy, appetising and well-balanced vegan food can be.

I hate the feeling when there's nothing much vegan to eat and everyone is tutting and saying 'is that all you're eating - how unhealthy!". They don't understand that it wouldn't be your first choice. I went to a wedding recently and everyone was piling chicken legs and cheese sandwiches onto their plates, and all I could eat was crisps! The only other vegetables were garnishing the meat so I wasn't going to touch those. I was really aware of people staring at my plate and thinking I had some sort of eating disorder.

It should be different in your own home though. At least give yourself a proper meal. Then they can at least see that at least you are eating properly, and might even think yours looks nicer than theirs.

Try to ignore all the negative comments. I sometimes think people do that just to justify to themselves that their meaty diet is ok.

To me sate is fried tofu, usually on skewers, with an indonesian-style spiced peanut sauce.

tails4wagging

Isnt sate fish??

sate is pork on a stick... my brother is over right now marinating it.

Some of you are suggesting veggie burgers, but I never liked them. I don't understand why people like eating substitute hamburgers. To me, that's the image I'm trying to avoid. I never order boca burgers at restaurants, because just the thought of biting into it makes me uncomfortable. It resembles an actual burger too much to eat it without any guilt. How many of you see it that way too?

Anyway, I found some microwavable vegan dinners that I'll make for myself (and my mom, of course) but I'm still preparing myself for the nasty remarks!

Thanks everyone,
    ericha

EDIT: Miel Miette...sorry, my dad won't cook "vegan sate" for everyone...he'd have a fit if I ordered everyone to eat that and everything else vegan too. I would probably get yelled at first...then after calming down, he'd get everyone in the car and go somewhere to eat...and I don't want to get into a big fight with the entire family there. I think the microwavable dinners will do just fine.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote flowersandbeads
    To me, that's the image I'm trying to avoid. I never order boca burgers at restaurants, because just the thought of biting into it makes me uncomfortable. It resembles an actual burger too much to eat it without any guilt. How many of you see it that way too?
    We are all so different

I personally would never alow animal products of any kind in my home and will do my best to never be around those eating animals or secretions... yet I would gladly eat a *vegan* veggie-burger on occasion while out rather than the usual option (iceburg lettuce, an anemic looking tomato and lemon slices). I haven't ever known the average omni restaurant to have a truly vegan burger. I don't feel at all guilty about eating an organic veggie burger from an AR point of view. I personally rarely eat them for another reason; most are too highly processed and full of sodium for my tastes.

Good luck flowersandbeads, sorry about my comment, i never realised your dad was like that I hope one day he will understand and stop giving you a hard time.

I think I'm making my dad look like the bad guy. But really, he's not. Suddenly I go from devouring animals to this, and it's starting to make it harder when we go out to eat etc... and he's not used to this. Nobody in my family is, and that's why none of them are open to the idea. It's almost...unnatural? I don't know. I just wish they would appreciate my choice and not ask so many questions.

Talk to you all tomorrow!
    ericha

tails4wagging

I am like CC wont allow 'meat' anywhere near my house, oven, microwave or fridge!!.

I would show your dad this thread!!

Mozbee

Quote tails4wagging
    I am like CC wont allow 'meat' anywhere near my house, oven, microwave or fridge!!!
    I'm like Tails 100% on this issue, no death in my home.

I don't know how you cope.
    Maybe as time goes by you will become more assertive in your domain

It's Sunday morning

Nobody is here yet, which gives me time to go out and get something for my grandmother (happy 91st birthday to her!) AND pick up some vegan microwavable dinners for me and mother.

Hope things go well today!
    -ericha

EDIT: Update! I know, it's only been about 5 minutes, but that gave my dad plenty of time to complain. The sate was kept in the refrigerator overnight, and he's complaining about how long it will take to put the meat on the stick and I won't help him (my brother isn't here yet) .... and isn't my life wonderful? Anyway, I'm getting out of the house for a while.

tails4wagging

Good on yer, leave em to it!!

I've never had to do this, but meat eaters would be subjected to the same treatment as smokers, as they are both displaying anti-social habits, and sent outside to the bottom of the garden.

Mozbee

Quote Nivvie
    I've never had to do this, but meat eaters would be subjected to the same treatment as smokers, as they are both displaying anti-social habits, and sent outside to the bottom of the garden.
    But woe is me then I'd worry they'd be squashing creepy-crawlies on purpose!

Flowersandbeads...your doing good
    We are actually having a BBQ at my parents today for daddy's day, the whole fam is coming over and my mom is sick, so I'm in charge of the food. Mom sent me to the grocery store last night, told me to get whatever I think we will need for the party...

Won't they be surprised

I just finished preparing potatoes for the grill, sliced some tomatoes, washed some lettuce, etc. fot he "burgers" and whipped up some veggie sandwiches.

My father, who was watching me prepare all of this, looked a little disturbed! He has demanded that I make something non-vegan (silly way of putting it!) for his day.....soooooo....I pulled some eggs out of my moms fridge, boiled'em and made some egg sandwiches. He is somewhat content now. It is the least I can do (not to mention, the only thing I can make up without being tottaly discusted).

So, at least this BBQ/party will be meat free! (this is a big deal for a get together at my parents house)

Tasha, atleast you're in charge of the food!

I had no idea my aunt was going to come buy with a HUGE basket of food. I told her not to bring anything, but she didn't listen. All she brought over was meat/dairy plus a cake to celebrate my grandmother.

So anyways...here's the update: My mother and I were sitting inside at the dining room table eating our little microwavable dinner (she's still there) and everybody is outside eating sate, egg salads, chicken etc... my dad asked my mom if she wanted sate (he still doesn't get it? arrrg!) and everyone looks pretty disgusted with us for isolating ourselves. There's nothing else we can do... my dad was going crazy trying to BBQ the animals quick enough because he wanted everyone to start eating right away!

They should all be licking the sauce off their fingers by now...maybe I should go out and sit with everyone?

You know, this morning I went out to Albertsons and got some fruits. I cut everything up and put it out for everyone.... the bowl remains half full. These people have no manners. I go out of my way with this stuff, and they're too busy piling their plates with sate sticks (and I mean they REALLY pile their plates)

I'm feeling a bit awkward right now... first family gathering since I became vegan. My mom is having a hard time too.

The kids are banging on my piano now...I gotta go

Thanks to everyone who's been keeping up with this thread!
    love,
    ericha

I really feel for you flowers . I did a vegan buffet for my family and only one of them made a sarcastic comment but they were joking at the same time, they ate loads and thanked me after for the lovely food. You have stayed so calm through out the day and it sounds like you handled things great.

Thanks Puffin

I just feel awful not eating the cake with everyone. God only knows how much longer my grandmother is going to live. (I was wrong. She's not 91, she's 92.) and I'm not sharing the day with her like I used to.

I really hope everyone had a good day! I sure did the best I could for these people here. Hopefully for my birthday (July 19th) I'll be in charge of the food. Which isn't a bad idea... I have some Indian friends who do vegetarian/vegan catering.

Well, I should go now. They're all getting ready to leave soon.

love,
    ericha

tails4wagging

I wouldnt bother to invite your family (except your mum)!!.

Just mom! Sure would be a peaceful evening

How do I get pictures up here? I took some today!

If you need a recipe for a really easy vegan cake you can cook for you birthday then please pm me, they wouldnt even notice it was vegan

Mozbee

Ooooh especially a gorgeous vegan choccie cake mmmmm nice!

Quote Mozbee
    Ooooh especially a gorgeous vegan choccie cake mmmmm nice!
    Is there any other type of cake, i only thought they came in double choc with a little extra choc just incase you didnt have enough chocolate in it

Default what do you say to people when...

hi, i'm new at being a vegan, and i need some advice.

i've been a lacto-ovo veggie since march 2003 and decided that the natural transition is to become vegan. i just couldn't support the dairy industry anymore.

my parents ask me these questions and i never know what to say to them, so i need some help.

the questions :

"if we didn't eat animals, they would over-populate the earth".

"if we didn't drink milk, the cows would burst"

to me, they are absolutely ridiculous statements to make and i really need a reply to them.

thanks for your help and i can't wait to get to know everyone on this board

Default Re: what do you say to people when...

Hi Taraelf!

Quote Taraelf
    "if we didn't eat animals, they would over-populate the earth".
    Well, actually we're breeding farm animals. It's not like these animals are just mating naturally. I think that points pretty clearly to the fact that we certainly are not helping to keep the earth from being over-populated by animals. Also, what we have is a problem with animals going extinct and becoming endangered, which is not only sad for the animal but is also sad for the planet. (I don't have time just yet to provide you with some links, but maybe I can get back with you or someone else on the forum can hook you up with some links to some actual facts and real numbers...)

Quote Taraelf
    "if we didn't drink milk, the cows would burst"
    That's strange to me as I haven't heard that one yet. Well, we humans are also mammals who nurse our young, but we don't burst once our children are weaned. I wonder, have your parents ever seen a cow burst due to not being milked, or do they expect you to come up with all the biological facts to present to them? I do not mean to encourage you to disrespect your parents, but that one seems kinda silly. I sincerely ask - do they really think that, or are they just teasing? If they really are thinking it is good for cows to be milked, what they need to see is some educational videos or clips of how cows are really "benefiting" from the milking industry. It is really heartbreaking...and disgusting. (Sorry for not supplying a link for you just yet...) And then there's the whole awful nightmare of how these mommy cows have their babies taken away from them and murdered, so that humans can steal the milk and have veal! And them there's the reality of what people are really drinking when they're drinking cow's milk -- it's enough to make one want to vomit! (It's been discussed on this forum in other threads)

I suggest you start reading the literature that is out there. Animal Liberation by Peter Singer is a good place to start - it's considered the bible for vegans and anyone else interested in animal rights, and should be required reading for anyone calling themselves vegan. After all, how can anyone defend their position if they barely even understand the facts of it themselves? Good luck with your education!

yes, i know i have to read up on more vegan information, because i'm hopeless at explaining what i mean and how i feel. some links on where to find the so-called information would be extremely helpful.

Quote Taraelf
    some links on where to find the so-called information would be extremely helpful.
    Check out HERE and the faq on HERE Taraelf.

This is a website especially for new/young vegans: http://veganic.net/Xtra.html
    Eve

Mozbee

There's always a healthy carrot cake

Yes that's right carrot...cake! Maybe you could serve it after garlic...bread!

Quote Mozbee
    Yes that's right carrot...cake! Maybe you could serve it after garlic...bread!

It's a good thing I know what you're talking about Mozbee, so I can help you explain when the Americans, Canadians, Australians and non-Kay fans try and cart you off to a home!

Mozbee

Mozbee

Let them take a look at The Meatrix

When people, especially family, started on at me about milk, I would simply say 'Would you drink pigs milk? Dog's milk? Or like in the Simpsons, rats milk?'

'Of course not!' a collegue once said, 'That milk's not designed for us'

Ooohh, I see, and cow's milk is, is it?

Dumbass.

Quote Nivvie
    When people, especially family, started on at me about milk, I would simply say 'Would you drink pigs milk? Dog's milk? Or like in the Simpsons, rats milk?'

'Of course not!' a collegue once said, 'That milk's not designed for us'

Ooohh, I see, and cow's milk is, is it?

Dumbass.
    I say to people, would you drink a woman's milk?

They're all revolted, but really, if you insist on drinking milk during adulthood, shouldn't it at LEAST be from your own species, if not your own mother? But people find this idea weird.

It's odd, like in the West it's seen as strange if a baby is breast fed longer than a few months, and yet you're supposed to stop breast feeding, and give them cow's milk instead. Because obviously, that's so much more normal.

Mozbee

I knew I could rely on you Nivvie

Mozbee

Quote Shisha Fiend

They're all revolted, but really, if you insist on drinking milk during adulthood, shouldn't it at LEAST be from your own species, if not your own mother? But people find this idea weird.

It's odd, like in the West it's seen as strange if a baby is breast fed longer than a few months, and yet you're supposed to stop breast feeding, and give them cow's milk instead. Because obviously, that's so much more normal.
    Yes Shisha Fiend beautifully why stop a infant (in this case a human) from following its instinctive feeding patterns, taking food from its parents breast, to only replace it: 1)with that of another animal whose food (ie milk) is not specially cultured so that it does not have the anti-bodies etc to protect human babies (because it is meant for other animals) 2)milk powder! - human exploitation?

Garlic...............bread, yeh i got it to

Mozbee

But can you show me the way to Ammarillo!

Quote Shisha Fiend

I think we should employ women to produce milk for the industry. They could sit and read magazines, knit, or talk on the phone with a machine hooked up to THEM all day pumping the milk out!! Hey, at least they would be consenting to it! Maybe they could hire the woman who have babies and put them up for adoption or new mothers could make a little extra cash....hmmmmm.......

Mozbee

Or maybe mum's who feel they have a bit left over!
    Perhaps when their baby's stopping knawing their nips they could 'give' to other babies - problem is maybe a lot of the milk would end up in fetish/kinky shops being sold to adults!

sugarmouse

personaly, i never humour these kind of arguments. i haev my reasons and that is that.unless of course i feel the person is actually INTERESTED and i may make a difference.as others have said on here, obviously, these animals are created, to be put to (a horrible )death. and as a beleiver in the wonder of nature, i beleive this is SICK! we have been blessed, as man, to have the ability to control other species, and we are abusing our power, by creating life to kill it i mean WTF?! i think all life is sacred and this truly saddens me.animals dont breed out of scale, MAN breeds them excessively.

as for milk, i think it has all been said in the best ways already.we arent meant to suckle off another species.we do not need to suckle another species.cows naturally produce for their young, it is us that makes them produce excessively.

but to the ignorant ones who question me, who say 'i could simply not give up milkshakes tho jenni'
    or similar, i simply say, i know you will not win the argument with me personally that we are meant to drink from a cows breast....ii do not care how age old the habit is, I do not beleive it is natural, and particularly the way we artificially produce the milk nowadays, i certainly do not and never will beleive it to be morally right.