Thread: HSBC Insure Hunts

Default HSBC Insure Hunts

From Howl magazine:

HSBC, Britain's largest bank, is set to insure dozens of hunts against the cost of a court case if they are prosecuted for illigally hunting foxes. The bank has said that they will pay legal fees for hunt employees even if they are found guilty.

According to figures collected by the League Against Cruel Sports, the bank is insuring as many as 125 hunts, an arrangement the League claims gives those taking part confidence that they can break the law without suffering financial hardship. The insurance was organised through the Masters of Foxhounds Association (MFHA), which represents 174 packs of foxhounds in England and Wales and a further 10 in Scotland.

Under the hunting ban introduced in February 2005, prosecutions can be brought either against hunts as organisations or as individuals such as hunt masters and employees, riders who take part in illegal hunts or landowners who allow them.
    John Cooper, a barrister and chairman of ther League since 1995, said he was 'shocked' at HSBC's actions, and that he would be writing to the bank's chief executive to query the arrangement. Cooper said: 'Millions of people bank with HSBC. I'm sure that they do not know that the bank is using their money to help bail out criminals. What next? Insurance for burglers and shoplifters?'

Please contact HSBC to voice your disgust at their support for criminal activity. Contact your local branch, call them on 0800 881 155 or fill in the complaint form on their website:
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/popups/how...dNbo:11j71s4j3

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/

Default Re: HSBC Insure Hunts

time to switch banks i think
    "We ourselves may be loved only for a brief time...Even so, that will suffice...There is a land for the living and there is a land for the dead"

I bank with First Direct who are connected with HSBC somehow, not exactly sure how. Is it worth me complaining or will they say its nothing to do with them?
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

You don't have to bank with HSBC at all to complain, Maisie, but obviously they'll take more notice of their customers. I said I was thinking of banking with them but have now decided not to until they stop insuring hunts. I haven't received a reply yet. If First Direct are connected in some way with HSBC it's worth getting in touch with them. They may well say that it has nothing to do with them but if enough people complain to them they might pass that on to HSBC. Every bit of moaning helps.

Complained through their online site with the following:

I have just heard that HSBC is insuring Hunts in the UK against the cost of a court case if they are prosecuted for illegally hunting foxes. I am also informed that HSBC has said that they will pay legal fees for hunt employees even if they are found guilty.

As hunting with dogs is banned in the UK, I am shocked to hear that a respectable organisation such as HSBC is insuring those who may be involved in a criminal offence. I will be letting all of my work colleagues, friends, and family know of this decision by HSBC and hope that they too will advise as many people as possible about this. Some of them are bound to be HSBC customers and should they also be shocked at this decision I'm sure they will take appropriate actions to cease doing business with HSBC.

Shame on you HSBC.

Good email, vegcurry

I've cross posted this EVERYWHERE and even emailed all my non-AR mates. 99% of the public say fuck hunting so should be interesting.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Here's the reply from HSBC:

Our reference : xxxxxxx

Dear xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry about insurance for hunts. I hope the following will be of assistance.

The position is that HSBC is not an insurer to hunting groups in the UK. HSBC has acted as a broker only in arranging a number of schemes through which other insurers provide cover for legally-constituted hunting groups for legal expenses in defence of an action (and only when the insurance company’s Counsel’s opinion is that the group has acted within the law and that there is a case to defend), and for personal accident and third party civil liability cover.

I should emphasise that in any instance where, in the opinion of the insurer’s legal advisers, there had been an intent to break the law, legal expenses protection would not normally be provided.

I can assure you that HSBC would not do anything to encourage law-breaking of any nature and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify matters on this issue.

Yours sincerely

Kumar Nadar
    Customer Service Representative

HSBC Bank plc

Customer Service Centre
    Telephone 08457 404 404
    International +44 1226 261010
    Textphone 08457 125 563I

uh huh
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

yeah ... don't blame us, we're just the middlemen HAHAHHAHAHAAA. What a load of **********

I wish a newspaper would do an expose on this kinda shit.....most people dislike hunting, omnis or not!

I should emphasise that in any instance where, in the opinion of the insurer’s legal advisers, there had been an intent to break the law, legal expenses protection would not normally be provided

It may not normally be provided, but you can bet it will in this case. Hunters aren't normal, in any sense of the word.