Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleep, and how do I stop doing it?

Russ

Default Sleep, and how do I stop doing it?

Okay, as I just wrote in the coffee thread, I have no problems falling asleep whatsoever. I close my eyes and I'm asleep almost immediately, for the whole night pretty much.

It's the waking up that's the hard part.

I set myself two alarms almost every day. This morning is a classic example of what happens ... I get up and turn them both off, then go back to bed and sleep in another 4 hours

Actuallty or at the very least would be more appropriate ... possibly even given how dozy and brain-dead I feel for the rest of the day. Even after drinking coffee and a ton of water I can't 'wake up' properly until sometime in the evening around 7-8pm ... and then I feel -really- awake and don't want to go to sleep until gone midnight .. AND SO THE CYCLE REPEATS ITSELF ...

Today is the first time (in a good while) that I've actually missed a lecture because I chose to sleep in instead. I was meant to get up at 8. Lecture is until 11, and then my plan was to go food shopping, bring it back here, then head to the library and work all afternoon.

It's now twenty past one and today I have:
    - looked at forums

Unfortunately this is the NORM rather than an exception ...
    Bad sleep patterns = demotivation = wasting time ... I have so much I need to get done as well.

Does anyone have any idea how I can force myself to get up earlier? It sounds kind of silly cause it's just something I should be able to -make- myself do ... usually I'm pretty good at just -doing things that need to be done- but sleep is like a DRUG at that time in the morning .. ALL I seem able to think about is scoring more of it ...

I guess earlier nights would be a start ... easier said than done ..

Default Re: Sleep, and how do I stop doing it?

One thing I find helps:
    Put your alarms somewhere where its hard to get to them , so you have to physically get out of bed and walk over to turn them off, stops me just reaching my arm across, turning it off and going straight back to sleep
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

My average getting up time at uni was about 12-1pm; I went to very few morning lectures.

I had serious issues getting up before then and always felt extremely tired if i did. I had blood tests for glandular fever and saw a nutritionist (incase my vegan diet was a bit too extreme), but the blood tests were fine and the nutritionist said my diet was one of the healthiest she'd ever encounter a student having. Here's what I've learnt from 4 years uni/4 years in work:

a) my body needs 7-8 hours sleep a night. Less than that and I will feel tired. If I get more than about 9 I'll also feel tired. I can probably do a few days on 6 hours, but it's not good.
    b) caffeine doesn't always make me feel less tired - sometimes I can make me feel more tired. It's better to be a bit tired than a bit tired with a caffeine headache.
    c) I need a regularish bedtime +- 1 hour (i.e. 10pm-12am). If I stay up till 3am one night it will screw around with my tiredness for days
    d) university/having a social life resolving round drinking and staying up all night isn't condusive for any of the above.
    e) feeling tired when you wake up is generally quite normal, what matters is if you feel the same when you've been up for 30 minutes/are driving down the motorway

I still haven't totally cracked it, but I'm getting there. Ideally I'd like to survive on 6 or less hours a night, but my body really doesn't like that idea. I've come to terms with the fact that it's not about being feeble/mind over matter - bodies just naturally need sleep and different people different amounts.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Russ

@ Fungus: haha yeah ... that's my second alarm ... and it used to work ... but now I've developed the habit of getting up, turning it off and heading straight back to bed ... sort of like it's a REFLEX ...

@ Mr Flibble: indeed, maybe it's just the fact that I'm a student. I'm usually pretty good with attending morning lectures (though I don't tend to take much in cause of tiredness) but I actually think I'm getting worse with this ... I'm with you on the 7-8 hours a night as optimal ... I used to get that regularly back when I somehow had the drive to wake up earlier and felt great for a while, before it all hit me at once and suddenly I was back to 9+ again ..
    I don't really do the student lifestyle thing any more .. haha ... but the late nights part is true. 10pm-12am sounds about right and what I should be aiming for.

Thanks for the replies ... I might give me InnerTalk CD another shot (the Sleep Reduction one) ... (the PMA one worked wonders and pretty much changed my whole perspective on LIFE ... mine, at least ... Sleep Reduction has been less successful but that could be cause I haven't given enough effort to repeating the mantras ...)

Taking extra exercise might be helpful unless you already get loads - it makes you ready for bed earlier and also I think may improve the quality of your sleep.

Must say I was just the same in my final year at university, and I'm not sure why - don't think I was drinking a lot of booze, but I did use to like late nights (and still do )

If you are sleeping 9+ regularly, you might need that much, and to sleep less you might shortchange your body.

I'd worry less about sleeping so much and enjoy it. your body clearly needs it. I'd love it if I *could* get that many uninterrupted hours a night.
    context is everything

I usually get ~ 7 and a half hours sleep a night, but I dont really find it that hard which is odd, as has been said exercise does help hugely in being able to get to sleep ...
    fyi: I get to bed at ~ 11-12 and up at 7:50 usually , but when I have holidays its more like ~12-1 and up at 11:30 and feel -much- less tired, even though I've just wasted that 4 hours
    Just thinking of it, I know someone who uses a sleep technique and apparently successful with it, 6 hours a day, I'll ask him but he's in australia and its 1am so will be asleep
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Russ

Quote xrodolfox
    I'd worry less about sleeping so much and enjoy it.
    I'd like to ... the problem is it's impinging on other aspects of my life ... the more important ones ...

Basically, I'm just an idiot for sleeping in so late most days and even more of one for not going to bed earlier.

It sounds like you're getting to sleep at about the same time every night? That's good.

Making sure you keep the house dark after sundown will help your sleep hormones regulate, and you will be able to get a very deep sleep. You also need to make sure to open up the windows and get as much light in as you can when it's time for you to get up.

Do a small amount of slow-paced exercise before you go to bed, and when you get up, try doing a couple basic things to get your blood flowing. (Actually, I used to do a shot of apple cidar vinegar, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper to get me going in the morning, worked wonders, but I doubt most people would do that; I just do APC now.) If you can try and do some kind of action when you get up for 60 seconds, even if your still zombied, it'll help.

Experiment with your sleep times. I usually need about 6-7 hours sleep, so if I get an hour more, then it's hard for me to wake up, and I end up sleeping for 13 hours.

And, you won't like this one, but I really do think cutting out the caffeine would restore a better sleep rhythm. *runs and hides*

Quote Russ View Post
    I'd like to ... the problem is it's impinging on other aspects of my life ... the more important ones ...
    I don't understand

Russ

Quote Russ
    Today is the first time (in a good while) that I've actually missed a lecture because I chose to sleep in instead.

Can you get a copy of someone else's notes?

Could you get hold of one of those alarms that gradually light up your room?

Russ

Quote aubergine
    Can you get a copy of someone else's notes?
    I can get everything (actually, more than is given in the lecture) online. But that's not the point. I don't want to be sleeping in until 11 then feeling demotivated all day ... I take my studies pretty seriously ...

Quote auntierozzi
    Could you get hold of one of those alarms that gradually light up your room?
    Haha ... maybe ... they sound like they'd be expensive though.

I have a good way of waking: a niursing student partner who gets up at 6am and needs breakfast and a packed lunch doing.

Works a treat.

I have a cure for that........take out a large mortgage and find a really stressful job i.e with the NHS. I can guarantee you won't sleep at all, ever

I think my message is - enjoy it while it lasts mate

Having kids is another way of never sleeping more than 3 hours in 24 also.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Russ View Post
    Basically, I'm just an idiot for sleeping in so late most days and even more of one for not going to bed earlier.
    yep, thats me too

I have exactly the same problem. I take my job 100% seriously and still work lots of hours, but I really struggle to get up in the mornings. It is a running joke at my office, I have been known to arrive as late as 11am

lucky i've got a good boss
    I dont get crunchy people?

Russ

Thanks to everyone for responding ... here I've made a list of possible solutions. I've narrowed it down to five ... things. The others I've already tried and don't work, or are non-applicable.

Moving alarm across the room
    Getting to sleep earlier
    Exercising
    Things are fine, leave them as they are
    Open curtains in the morning (I don't actually do this until the afternoon usually)
    Vinegar, lemon juice and pepper cocktail (it's worth a shot ..)
    Stop drinking coffee
    Alarm that gradually lights up the room
    Partner who demands I get up early
    Mortgage
    Stressful job
    Kids
    Become the Dean of the University

Can I use any type of pepper for the shot? And does it have to be LEMON juice? Like fresh lemon juice? I think I just like the idea of taking a shot first thing in the morning.

Russ

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    lucky i've got a good boss
    You ARE the boss!

*added to list

in all seriousness, the way i combat it is to make appointments that i cant break (clients etc..) first thing in the morning. That way I HAVE to get up.

Just going to the office is not motivation enough, but if it will impact on my clients or my business that is reason to force myself out of bed.

you could perhaps apply that in someway to your studies? arrange to meet someone for coffee before lectures etc..?
    I dont get crunchy people?

Russ

Yeah ... that should work. Whenever I manage to get into the library at 9 and work all morning, I get so much more done, and then still have the 'rest of the day' (which to me is like 'the day').

It's what I did for a lot of last semester ... and that (as well as avoiding certain time-consuming forums ) certainly worked ... problem with arranging to meet someone is no one else I know wants to get up early. They're students, after all.

I'm going to get an early night tonight, and set my alarm for 8. We'll see how it goes from there ...

you could have sleep apnoea - just a thought i had. You could think you're getting 14 hours sleep, but actually you're getting about half an hour.

pavotrouge

If you're going to bed at the same time and set your alarm at approx. the same time, it might also be that you're being waked during an REM phase (=very deep sleep), so setting the alarm an hour earlier/later might work, too.

I always thought of myself as a night person but since I've discovered this and I get up at 5.30 most days I'm happier, more awake and all than before when getting up at 7-7.30ish.

Russ

Isn't REM the -least- deep stage of sleep? And that's why there's more of it towards the end of the night? I assume this to be the case because it's when the brain is most active, and most people I know can remember their dreams regularly ... which only happens if you wake up during one ..

Quote Russ View Post
    ... they sound like they'd be expensive though.
    I have a Lumie alarm clock lamp thimajig and it was around £50 if I remember correctly. It's very good although I keep forgetting to turn it on...

I have similar problems with sleep. I haven't had a proper night's sleep in at least a year for a variety of reasons. This exacerbated a situation similar to yours. I have no idea how distinguish between when I need a lie in due to exhaustion, and a normal morning when I'm just struggling to wake up.

Years ago it was worse. I had (and still have) three alarms to wake me up and I would hear none of them. One of them is a very loud DAB Radio, although I was also the only person in my class to sleep through the hurricane of 1987.

As the years have gone on I've slept a bit lighter at the crucial time for an alarm to wake me but for the last couple of years I've felt more tired and groggy when I wake up than I did when I went to bed. In my waking stuper I equate this with needing a little more time to wake up and end up being very late for work. Thankfully I have a somewhat sympathetic employer.

I've very recently come to the conclusion that the groggy feeling in the morning is perhaps extreme but unavoidable. By dragging myself out of bed earlier (6.20am in order to leave the house by 8.45am) I can afford the sit on the end of my bed feeling nauseaus for half an hour before getting ready. I'm not sleeping better but I'm at least getting to work on time.

So basically what I'm saying is that what has worked for now is trying to ignore what my body seems to be telling me. If I don't do this I'll happily stay in bed 24/7. Really. I've no idea if this will be helpful but I thought I may as well share my experiences as they are not dissimilar to your own. It can feel pretty isolating as most people just think you're being lazy when actually you never feel like you have the energy to do anything.

Incidentally although I give in to the urges more now because I'm not very happy, I actually felt physically much worse before going Vegan.

Cure number 2: Post a number of drunken emails/posts/nude pictures of yourself, guaranteed you will not sleep for weeks maybe years

Quote Russ View Post
    Can I use any type of pepper for the shot? And does it have to be LEMON juice? Like fresh lemon juice? I think I just like the idea of taking a shot first thing in the morning.
    Heh, yeah I actually used this to help my digestive system start, as I would always have to get up and leave for work within half an hour (I like sleeping late, too) and I would feel sick to my stomach after eating breakfast too early, unless I did this first. I'll tell you, it'll SURE wake you up though. It's a good shock to the system.

I used raw apple cidar vinegar, the juice of half a lemon, and powdered cayenne pepper. Other pepper might work too, but I'm not sure. Although, you could do JUST the apple cidar vinegar, and it'll do most of the benefit itself. You'll feel warmed, because it increases your circulation. Some people take it diluted in water, but I just take a big ole swig! Grows hair on your chest. *looks down at chest.....ewwww*

Let us know how the suggested cures work for you Russ

I've got the same problem Russ. For whatever reason it seems absolutely logical to go back to sleep because you ARE THAT TIRED. And then I'm late for work. I have a special problem with my hours being somewhat flexible, that encourages me even more. What my brain fails to see is the word "somewhat" ie. I can come in at 12pm but not 1pm.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Russ

UPDATE

Well I don't think last night counts, cause I had a crappy nights' sleep anyway. There was a dog barking for ages and then my flatmate (a story for another time, for now we'll leave it at "Borat the Hutt") was walking around in the kitchen at 3am ... wtf? Anyway ...

I went to bed just after 11 and lay awake for a while. I guess cause I'm not used to going to sleep that early ...
    I -could- have got up at 8, but my lecture isn't til 11 and I hadn't slept that well, so reset my alarm for 10. BUT I woke up at about 20 to 10.

It's a start.

I have to get up the second when I wake, thanks to both my cat and my bladder! I am pretty dopey first thing due to medication, so once in the bathroom, I run the tap and wash my face and that helps me wake up big time. Meanwhile hungry cat is making such a racket that I have to go feed her - by then, I am downstairs, in the kitchen, and I might as well make coffee...

Thinkgeek.com has a nice selection of relatively cheap novelty alarm clocks. Might I suggest the "Sonic Bomb Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker", which claims to be louder than a jackhammer

I also had this problem as a student, and I gradually fixed the problem by forcing myself to get up at 6:30 and go to bed at 9:30 every day. If I went to bed at 1:00 a.m. and forced myself to get up at 6:30, I would be so tired all day that I would WANT to go to bed at 9:30 p.m.

Or you could try setting your alarm much earlier, like 4:00 a.m. If you sleep in 4 hours later after turning off the alarm, you'll still be getting up at 8:00 a.m!
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Russ

Quote AnneCE
    I run the tap and wash my face and that helps me wake up big time.
    Yes ... I may adopt this tactic ...
    I even considered taking a freezing shower every morning (our shower is FAIL and we don't get hot water in the mornings) but I just don't hate myself enough to go THAT far ... also that would probably make me want to -never- get up ...

Quote Yoggy
    Thinkgeek.com has a nice selection of relatively cheap novelty alarm clocks. Might I suggest the "Sonic Bomb Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker", which claims to be louder than a jackhammer
    My alarm is plenty loud .. always wakes me. The problem is I just turn it off again.
    It's those few moments when I get out of bed to turn off the second alarm. That's where the battle is fought, every morning. I need to do something like splash water in my face and drink the shot before I've even had time to think about it ...

SnivellingChild, what would you suggest should be the ratio ? Two parts lemon juice to one part vinegar?

Quote Russ View Post
    My alarm is plenty loud .. always wakes me. The problem is I just turn it off again.
    How about a radio alarm?

Or a snooze button so it keeps going off again every ten minutes or so? Then have your 'final' alarm on the other side of the room set to go off at your deadline time.

(Yoggy my o/h adopts the 'clock goes off at 5am and then you sleep on til 8am' trick but it does not make for a happy relationship when you share a bedroom with someone who cannot go back to sleep after your 5am faux alarm!)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Russ View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how I can force myself to get up earlier? It sounds kind of silly cause it's just something I should be able to -make- myself do ... usually I'm pretty good at just -doing things that need to be done- but sleep is like a DRUG at that time in the morning .. ALL I seem able to think about is scoring more of it ...

I guess earlier nights would be a start ... easier said than done ..
    You may have a sleeping disorder if you find it that difficult to wake up and are not properly wake until the evening. Or you may just naturally have a sleeping pattern that's different from the average. Getting around to a 'normal' sleeping pattern might take professional help. If all the advice that's been given doesn't work, it might be worth thinking about going to the doctors about it as it's affecting your day-to-day life.

It may partly be a question of breaking out of the cycle.

You could try making yourself an appointment or two first thing, so you have to get up even if you're tired. I didn't sleep very well at all last night because of various anxieties but had to go out in the morning so got up about 8 (wow! ). I'm fairly sure I'm going to sleep very well tonight and the odd short night doesn't actually seem to do you much/any harm.

ETA I see I'm actually seconding a suggestion from VBB here.

I try to get into a routine that way by getting up early etc - I then feel so tired all day and think I'm sure to sleep that night but I can end up getting a 'second wind' and can then stay up for hours again!
    The key when doing that I think is to go to bed as soon as you can once you are tired, not try to put it off for longer.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

What Harpy and Marrers said. My son (25) had exactly the same problem, he had messed up his sleep cycle and turned night into day and was wasting his days getting up after midday.
    It took a few months of rigid discipline of going to bed at a certain time and getting up early for him to break this cycle and move into a more natural and acceptable rhythm. It happened to me when I did night duty.
    You must go to bed at a set time but nothing unreasonable you can't stick to i.e 10-11 at night and get up at the same time in the morning such as 8 or 9 for about 2-3 months religiously.
    Simon did that and now sleeps well but can get up early and is more productive as a result, essential as he is a self employed artist.

Russ

Yeah. In the end I think that's what it's going to come down to. Though I didn't think it would take as long as a few months to get into the cycle ...

Everything else (like the shots and water in the face) are just going to help me through the 'transition' until I get used to it ... BOTTOMS UP ... *downs jug of vinegar*

I read an interesting fact somewhere: when you splash water on your face to wake up, it's not the temperature of the water that makes you wake up. When your face is covered in water, it tricks your brain into thinking you're drowning, so your body wakes up as a self-preservation mechanism. So I always splash with warm water, it's more comfortable and still wakes me up

I've had problems getting up early for as long as I can remember. Just recently though, I've been in a better sleeping pattern and finding it easier to wake up. The kids have been off school this week and I've been waking up at around 7.30am without an alarm. I've been doing a number of things to feel healthier so maybe its a combination of the things I've been doing.

Heres what I've been doing:

Taking extra B vitamins and rhodiola rosea (a herbal anti-depressent)

Walking (instead of driving) to the gym so getting more daylight and fresh air as well as the extra exercise.

Doing more exercise than usual and exercising in the morning

Trying to keep active throughout the day instead of watching TV for hours on end. When I do watch TV I've been jumping up during the commercials to do stuff. Long periods of TV make me really sleepy.

Eating more vegetables and less junk food.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

This is the alarm from thinkgeek that I almost bought myself, except I knew I'd had 5 cats chasing it every morning (which would probably wake me up more) and one dog trying to eat it.

I'd do a 50:50 ratio juice/vinegar.

The cats don't wake me up in the morning. I mean, I'll have four out of five meowing on my bed, but I guiltlessly ignore them until several hours late if need be. I have no consious. MY problem, is my dog likes to snuggle under the blankets, and she'll sleep til 3PM with me just fine. I try and get out of bed, but she says, "No, mom, now is sleep time!"

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    This is the alarm from thinkgeek that I almost bought myself, except I knew I'd had 5 cats chasing it every morning (which would probably wake me up more) and one dog trying to eat it.
    LOL that's a great alarm clock too! I love thinkgeek

Genius.

Alternatively, you could find some responsible parental-type person who is always up early to phone you every morning at 8 and nag you until you get out of bed.

I think the suggestion of opening the curtains is one to definitely try, especially when the clocks change again. I've found it a very effective, gentle and natural way of gradually waking up.

Good sperm

Quote harpy View Post
    I didn't sleep very well at all last night because of various anxieties but had to go out in the morning so got up about 8 (wow! ).
    8am! That's a lie in! I get up at 5.45 to run 4 days a week, and 6.20 the other 2 weekdays...Sunday is the only day I set no alarm

Hmm, if I knew I had to go for a run after I got up, I'd probably never get up at all

There are some advantages (for a sluggard) to being freelance in terms of not usually having to get up early, but on the minus side I often have to work evenings and weekends.

BlackCats

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    8am! That's a lie in! I get up at 5.45 to run 4 days a week, and 6.20 the other 2 weekdays...Sunday is the only day I set no alarm
    Wow you must be incredibly motivated.

Good sperm

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Wow you must be incredibly motivated.
    It's the only time I have to run, and my 'lie in' days (6.30am) I have to get up for work.

I might be a little mad though...I like getting up at 6am on a Saturday and heading out on a long run. I get to see dawn that way