Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Austrailan Live Exports

Default Austrailan Live Exports

http://www.liveexportshame.com/ to read the latest.
    Eve

The number of live cattle exported abroad from Australia slumped to the lowest level in 6 years, for the month of August 04. But they were worth 38 percent more, according to the Bureau of Statistics figures.

Strong demand from China for dairy cows pushed the value up to $48 million. During August, 9,000 dairy cows were shipped to China, for a total value of $18 million, that fuelled the increase in total value of exports for the month compared to last year. However, the number of cattle shipped was down 10 per cent on last year to the lowest August total since 1998, of 56,630 head.

For so long China has avoided being a dairy country, but it seems that situation is changing, and is likely to grow exponentially. Poor cows!
    Eve

The abc on-line today reports a shipment of sheep and cattle is expected to leave Fremantle for the Middle East today, despite being held up by animal rights campaigners. Members of Animals Australia staged a protest to mark last year's Cormo Express incident, where 52,000 sheep spent 3 months at sea, after being rejected by Saudi Arabia.

But they're failing to acknowledge improvements made since the incident, says John Edwards from the WA Livestock Exporters Association. "Disappointing to see these groups continuing in the manner that they are. We hear nothing different from them."
    Eve

Analyst predicts end of live export trade (reported at abc-on line today)

A leading grain analyst and woolgrower has delivered a broadside at the sheep and wool industries, for their response to animal rights activists. Malcolm Bartholomaeus says he's disappointed at the industry's low-key reaction, to the move by the group PETA to force a boycott of Australian wool in the US. PETA objects to the export of sheep, but Mr Bartholomaeus says that trade is going to die a natural death in the next few years anyway.

"Why put demand for wool at significant risk in the short term, to support an industry which is going into a sunset phase anyway. Sometimes our first loss is our best loss. If we have to take radical actions, and it's going to cost the industry some money; maybe if we take that loss on the chin right now, at maybe a lot smaller loss than trying to claw back demand for wool over, say, a 20-year period."

Sounds good to me!
    Eve

Thanks for the update eve.

There are still problems with this industry, but apparently being taken care of. The abc on-line today reported that the live export industry and the federal government are playing down an incident which stranded more 3000 cattle off the coast of Jordan.

The cattle, destined for Israel, were at the centre of a dispute over feedlot space at the Jordanian Port of Aqaba. James Martin reports: "The cattle have now began unloading after the initial 20,000 sheep and 5000 cattle were dispatched from the MV Maysora eight days ago. The federal government says a backup plan has now been enacted, and the remaining 3300 animals loaded at Fremantle are entering a different feedlot at Jordan. They're understood to be in good condition in temperatures ranging from five to 29 degrees. There have been no deaths on board since the first unloading, but the port dispute has been significant enough for the industry's animal welfare counselor, Kerin Johar, to be dispatched from Dubai to inspect the vessel."
    Eve

The Federal Government today signed a memorandum of understanding with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) covering the live animal trade. The UAE is Australia's sixth-largest market for live exports, worth about $15 million a year.

The memorandum includes a guarantee that animals would be accepted into a quarantine area in the country if there were any concerns about their health.

It is designed to prevent a similar situation to one which occurred last year when Saudi Arabia rejected a shipment of 50,000 Australian sheep, leaving them stranded in the Persian Gulf. The Government has since banned live animal trade with Saudi Arabia until a similar agreement can be reached.
    Eve

International Livestock Exports exports a million sheep and 70,000 cattle a year. LiveCorp says it'll consult with government in the New Year, to see if it can bring the cattle rate back in the line with other classes of livestock.

The Livecorp legislation was vehemently opposed in the Senate by the Australian Democrats, who moved amendments which could have forced an end to livestock exports. Democrats Leader Senator Andrew Bartlett makes no apology for attempting to stop the trade.

"The real concern the Democrats have is that the Government and the Opposition continue to press ahead with promoting and trying to expand this trade, when the community concern in Australia, and as we've seen internationally, will just continue to grow: so the industry will just be perpetually fighting this battle that I don't think it can win or should win."

Good onya Andrew
    Eve

Default Woolgrowers step up action against PETA

Woolgrowers are being called on to defend their industry in the courtroom, in an escalation of legal proceedings against animal rights group PETA. Australian Wool Innovation wants around 300 growers, who believe their income will be hurt by PETA's campaign to stop retailers buying Australian wool, to come forward.

But the move has come under fire from rebel wool group, the Australian Wool Growers Association, which believes farmers will be liable for hefty costs if the case is lost. Chairman Chick Olsson says growers should reject any offer to join the action.

But chairman of Australian Wool Innovation Ian McLachlan says growers will be indemnified against any costs should the legal action fail. He says the battle against PETA is now the biggest issue the wool industry has ever faced, and in the past few days, growers have been rushing to join the action to help save their industry.

Meanwhile woolgrowers are being warned not to dismiss PETA as a minor threat. Agribusiness advisor Andrew Smith says PETA is a formidable opponent, and the wool boycott has the potential to hurt sales.

Mr Smith, from PPB Rural Services, says the wool industry should set up a meeting with the activists to try to resolve their differences, before heading to the courts.
    Eve

In today's 'The Australian' paper, there's a very nice letter from an American woman, on the subject of live exports. Her name is Virginia Canino of Sth Orange, NJ, who writes that she simply believes that as we are hoping to move towards a more evolved way of living, we might all begin by being considerate to the helpless among us.

I thought that was well said.
    Eve

Quote eve
    In today's 'The Australian' paper, there's a very nice letter from an American woman, on the subject of live exports. Her name is Virginia Canino of Sth Orange, NJ, who writes that she simply believes that as we are hoping to move towards a more evolved way of living, we might all begin by being considerate to the helpless among us.

I thought that was well said.
    That's right by where I work. NJ is a small state but fortunately, has a vocal and active animal rights population. Hence, no bear hunt this year .

Yes you are fortunate, feline01, as it can be quite dismaying to live among meat eaters who care nothing at all for nonhuman animals, and most people here love fishing. There are no vegans to my knowledge, though it is always surprising to me when I go shopping in the supermarket to see pkts of tofu, soymilk, homas, etc. Who's buying it, apart from me?
    By the way, what do you mean by 'rage against the machine'? Are you a luddite?
    Eve

I should clarify, it's not that my state is so pro-animal. It's because there are so many hunters, fishermen and people who want to murder deer because the deer are eating the landscaping on the million dollar home they built next to a heavily-wooded reservation or kill all the geese because they poop that there is such a strong animal rights movement here.

Rage Against the Machine is a music group with political messages. I guess they would be considered punk/heavy metal sort. I wouldn't describe myself as a luddite per se but I would like to live more simply.

Since June 22nd 2004 the Director-General has held the responsibility for investigating Animals Australia's legal complaint that a shipment of sheep aboard the livestock vessel MV Al Kuwait that departed Fremantle for the Middle East, breached the WA Animal Welfare Act.

The evidentiary basis of the complaint has been supported by expert legal opinions and assessed by the State Solicitor, yet Director-General has failed to instigate an investigation in the 6 months leading up to a hotly contested state election. "It is important to recognise that Animals Australia is not seeking the introduction of new laws. The Parliament of Western Australia has enacted laws for the protection of animals. The rule of law requires that those who are entrusted by Parliament with the enforcement of those laws carry out their obligations and duties," said Mr Martin Bennett of Bennett & Co Barristers and Solicitors.

"Had this alleged breach of WA legislation related to 100,000 human victims there is no way that 13 months later it would remain uninvestigated. Animals Australia will ensure that every legal avenue is explored to call those to account who are entrusted with enforcing animal welfare legislation - including lodging a complaint against the Director-General with the WA Crime and Corruption Commission," said Ms Oogjes, Executive Director of Animals Australia.

The vessel MV Al Kuwait, capable of carrying over 100,000 sheep, is currently in Fremantle on its 10th return visit since the lodging of the complaint. At least 3 million sheep have left WA on live export vessels potentially in breach of WA's Animal Welfare Act since Animals Australia first lodged their controversial complaint in December 2003. "It is outrageous that the Al Kuwait has been allowed to return to Fremantle on 10 occasions to load hundreds of thousands of sheep for the Middle East in the face of serious allegations. The Kuwaitis and their Australian agents have continued their business under the nose of authorities who are meant to be enforcing WA's animal welfare legislation," said Ms Oogjes

Animals Australia's Supreme Court legal action on the politically sensitive live export issue will not be welcomed by a Gallop government seeking to avoid controversy in the lead-up to the February 26th 2005 WA state election.
    Eve

Geoff

Supreme Court order granted in WA live export case
    Director-General found to have case to answer
    Leading WA solicitor Martin Bennett, acting for peak animal welfare body Animals Australia, successfully argued today in the Supreme Court of Western Australia for the granting of an order nisi regarding the failure of the WA Government to act on Animals Australia’s live animal export complaint.
    As a result the Director General of the Department of Local Government and Regional Development, Cheryl Gwilliam, will be ordered to appear before a Full Court of the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
    The Order calls on Ms Gwilliam to show cause before the Supreme Court why she should not be compelled to carry out her duty under the Animals Welfare Act 2002 and determine in respect to Animals Australia’s live animal export complaint, whether to commence proceedings against appropriate persons for contravention of that Act.
    Animals Australia lodged papers in the Supreme Court on Monday 24th January 2005 seeking a Writ of Mandamus, naming the Director-General of the Department of Local Government and Regional Development, Cheryl Gwilliam, as the respondent.
    This unprecedented legal action was taken when the Director-General failed after 7 months to instigate an investigation into Animals Australia’s complaint that a live export shipment aboard the livestock vessel MV Al Kuwait in November 2003 breached Section 19 of the Animal Welfare Act.
    Section 19 (1) (3) states that it is an offence to “transport an animal in a way that causes or is likely to cause it unnecessary harm”. At least 1000 sheep died on the voyage in question. Evidence was also documented by Animals Australia and Compassion in World Farming (UK) investigators in Kuwait City that sheep during this voyage had suffering injuries and ailments as a result of the transportation.
    A comprehensive dossier of evidence with supporting expert legal opinions was provided by Animals Australia to the Director-General.
    “We are very pleased that this matter is in the hands of the Supreme Court and that finally we will have the independent body necessary to assess the merits of our complaint, “ said Glenys Oogjes, Executive Director of Animals Australia.
    “All expert legal opinions sought have attested to the solid foundation of evidence on which Animals Australia’s complaint is based. It is therefore inconceivable and deeply disturbing that it remains un-investigated.”
    “Since this complaint was first lodged with accompanying expert legal opinions supporting its merits, millions of sheep have been allowed to depart from Western Australia on live export vessels potentially in breach of WA laws,” said Ms Oogjes.

Default Austrailan Live Exports, RSPCA calls for a ban.

Little late but still a great development.

Live trade must end: RSPCA
    Friday, 8 April 2005

In a brave address at the WA Farmers Federation (WAFF) annual conference last week, RSPCA president Lynn Bradshaw told producers the live export of animals is cruel, costs Australian jobs, and is unnecessary.

"The RSPCA has long maintained that livestock should be slaughtered as close as possible to the point of production, because of the suffering associated with their transport," Ms Bradshaw said.

Ms Bradshaw said exported livestock could be humanely slaughtered in Australian abattoirs, which would create jobs and build more resilient economies in rural and regional communities.

She said research and international experience, such as the banning of live export of lambs in New Zealand, had shown banning the trade did not need to adversely affect farmers.

Ms Bradshaw warned farmers not to buy into the myth that markets in South East Asia and the Middle East demand only live animals for religious or cultural purposes.

She said Australia already exports chilled and frozen meat to every significant market for live exports, and this means Australian meat is competing with Australian live exports in the same overseas markets.

"It was Gandhi who said, 'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated,'" Ms Bradshaw said.

"The continuation of the live export trade is a sad reflection on our country, and is hardly representative of the wishes of the vast majority of Australians.

"Producer groups and farmers' federations must come to realize that 85pc of the community supports the RSPCA, and it is the Australian community which must be satisfied over animal welfare issues."

SOURCE: Farm Weekly, April 7 issue.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Default Re: Austrailan Live Exports, RSPCA calls for a ban.

Good news about those who protested at the live sheep exports. The Jury acquitted Ralph Hahnheuser, of Adelaide.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1362051.htm
    Eve

Default Re: Austrailan Live Exports, RSPCA calls for a ban.

Quote eve
    Good news about those who protested at the live sheep exports. The Jury acquitted Ralph Hahnheuser, of Adelaide.
    Yes, it is good news. I saw it on the telly last night.
    A bit rattled

cross barer

Default Re: Austrailan Live Exports

Congratulations to Ralph, and I was very pleased to see him continue to fight the conviction despite his recent and very public exuent from the AR movement...

I like this website for the sheep: http://www.savethesheep.com/
    Eve

Default Re: Australian Live Exports

A couple of news articles on the ham attack case.

Jury acquits sheep feedlot contaminator

A man who contaminated a sheep feed lot at Portland in Victoria's west, has been found not guilty of deliberately setting out to cause economic loss.

A County Court jury in Geelong unanimously ruled that Ralph Hahnheuser, of Adelaide, was motivated by a desire to save the sheep from export when he spread ham through their feed and water two years ago.

Mr Hanhueser's colleague Mark Pearson, from the Animal Liberation Group, says his intentions were noble.

"His intent was not to cause economic harm but in fact to prevent suffering to animals," he said.

"That was clearly the intent in his mind and therefore he was released a free man."

But Davis Peddie, who owns the feed lot at Portland, says the decision astounds him.

"I can't understand how a man who cost companies - legitimate businesses - millions of dollars can walk away completely free," he said.

"I don't understand the system."

Farmers believe a jury's decision will see an escalation in activities designed to sabotage the live export trade.

The Victorian Farmers Federation's Simon Ramsay says he fears the decision will see a raft of similar incidents.

"That was our fear from the start - that if this case wasn't successful and there was a not guilty verdict found, the animal liberationists would take advantage of that and immediately seek license to go out and commit unlawful acts," he said.

Animal rights activists across Australia will meet soon to discuss escalating their campaign against the live export trade.

Mr Pearson says most of the animal rights and welfare organisations across Australia will meet in three weeks.

"We're going to have a major meeting in order to discuss how we're going to escalate the campaign and intensify the campaign, particularly in the light of the Government permitting the opening up the trade to Saudi Arabia yesterday," he said.

Jury acquits sheep feedlot contaminator

A man who contaminated a sheep feed lot at Portland in Victoria's west, has been found not guilty of deliberately setting out to cause economic loss.

A County Court jury in Geelong unanimously ruled that Ralph Hahnheuser, of Adelaide, was motivated by a desire to save the sheep from export when he spread ham through their feed and water two years ago.

Mr Hanhueser's colleague Mark Pearson, from the Animal Liberation Group, says his intentions were noble.

"His intent was not to cause economic harm but in fact to prevent suffering to animals," he said.

"That was clearly the intent in his mind and therefore he was released a free man."

But Davis Peddie, who owns the feed lot at Portland, says the decision astounds him.

"I can't understand how a man who cost companies - legitimate businesses - millions of dollars can walk away completely free," he said.

"I don't understand the system."

Farmers believe a jury's decision will see an escalation in activities designed to sabotage the live export trade.

The Victorian Farmers Federation's Simon Ramsay says he fears the decision will see a raft of similar incidents.

"That was our fear from the start - that if this case wasn't successful and there was a not guilty verdict found, the animal liberationists would take advantage of that and immediately seek license to go out and commit unlawful acts," he said.

Animal rights activists across Australia will meet soon to discuss escalating their campaign against the live export trade.

Mr Pearson says most of the animal rights and welfare organisations across Australia will meet in three weeks.

"We're going to have a major meeting in order to discuss how we're going to escalate the campaign and intensify the campaign, particularly in the light of the Government permitting the opening up the trade to Saudi Arabia yesterday," he said.

Why don't you just give a tiny precis plus the url - that way we don't have to wade down the page reading paragraphs for every single sentence, when we can read the whole thing on the abc websites?
    Eve

Latest talks between woolgrowers and Animal Lib - in full at http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1363192.htm
    Eve

Vets expected to support renewed live exports (from abc on-line 10/05/2005)

The Australian Veterinary Association is expected to support the resumption of live exports to Saudi Arabia at its annual general meeting next week. A motion to remove all support for the live sheep trade is unlikely to succeed, given the group voted strongly against a similar proposal last year.

Read the rest here: http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2005/s1364131.htm
    Eve

Today, Animals Australia's newsletter referred to the failure of the WA government to investigate Animals Australia's 'Al Kuwait' live export complaint alleging that live sheep exports breach the WA Animal Welfare Act.

The government has now announced that it will investigate. It has received both state and federal legal opinions which have confirmed that there is no jurisdictional impediment to the complaint progressing.

We have every confidence that a full investigation will provide the evidence necessary to launch a prosecution that has the potential to end live sheep export from WA.

Today's media release follows:
    "WA Government investigates live export cruelty complaint" Peak animal welfare body 'Animals Australia' has applauded the decision by the WA State Government to investigate its benchmark complaint which alleges that live sheep export breaches WA animal protection legislation.

Animals Australia had received expert legal advice that live sheep exports from Fremantle, breached Section 19 (1)(3) of the WA Animal Welfare Act 2002. The Act states that it is an offence to ‘transport an animal in a way that causes or is likely to cause unnecessary harm.’ As a result, in November 2003, investigators from Animals Australia and UK-based group, Compassion in World Farming, travelled to Kuwait where they documented the condition of Australian sheep on arrival of the livestock vessel MV Al Kuwait. The evidence gathered, combined with 20 years of documented research into the known causes of suffering and deaths aboard live sheep vessels, led to Animals Australia lodging a complaint and file of evidence alleging a breach of Section 19 (1) (3) with WA Police.

In June 2004, Animals Australia placed the responsibility for the complaint with the WA govt. In January 2005 Animals Australia commenced proceedings in the WA Supreme Court seeking a Writ of Mandamus in regards to the government’s failure to instigate an investigation.

The State Solicitor’s Office, acting for the Director-General of the Department of Local Government and Regional Development, has advised Animals Australia that the govt is now investigating the complaint.

Ms Oogjes, Executive Director of Animals Australia says:
    This investigation is the most significant of any ever undertaken in Australia into an animal welfare complaint. Regardless of the arguments for and against live animal export, if live sheep export is found to breach Western Australia’s animal welfare legislation, it has to end.”
    Eve

cross barer

What was the evidence obtained from the Al Kuwiait? Wasn't that the one blockaded at Portland? I thought the complaint related to the Cormo Express?

The Al Kuwait was blockaded at Portland 24th to the 26th of September 2003. The evidence was collected at the destination.

For the other dates try the Animals Australia page here.

cross barer

cheers

A new live animal export ship is being built to service South-East Asian and Middle Eastern markets. The $47 million vessel, commissioned by Wellard Rural Exports, should be ready to sail in two years. It will carry 6,500 cattle or 26,000 sheep and is expected to service Western Australian and Northern Territory ports, including Darwin.

Live cattle exporters have welcomed the announcement, saying it will increase competition for shipping rates and improve animal welfare. The industry has previously raised concerns about a looming shortage of livexport ships, with many to become obsolete under new maritime safety regulations due in 2007.
    Eve

cross barer

Is it being constructed in australia?

That's how I read it adam, but I've emailed the abc to ask your question.
    Eve

cross barer

Ta

adam, the answer to my email is below:
    "Report: Jane Grieve - A WA live export company says it believes custom-built vessels, designed specifically for exporting sheep and cattle, are essential in addressing animal welfare issues. This follows news that Siba Ships has commissioned a new $47 million livestock carrier, which will begin service in early 2007.

Speaking from Italy, Managing Director of Wellard Rural Exports Steve Meerwald says the industry needs a fleet of modern vessels to service Australia's live export trade. In terms of the future of the industry, he says this sort of investment shows a commitment from shipping companies and exporters to the trade. Mr Meerwald says having purpose-built ships means the industry can confidently answer any animal welfare concerns, and any concerns the ships' crew might have. He says the future of the industry depends on investment along these lines. If the trade continues to be serviced by old ships that only meet minimum requirements, then the industry is justified in receiving the criticism it receives about shipping capacity. For $47 million, livestock can be protected because of its dual propulsion system, which means the ship wont break down at sea. It has a ventilation system 3 times the current requirements and regulated feed and water systems. Mr Meerwald concedes the June 2000 incident on the MV Becrux, where 880 cattle and 1200 sheep died on board the vessel from heat stress, was a fault of the company's decision, rather than the vessel."
    Eve

Pastoral sheep to be trialed for live export, 29/08/2005

A trial to investigate whether pastoral sheep are fit for the live export trade will start early next month. Pastoralists in far-western New South Wales have been lobbying against a recommended ban on sheep exports out of Port Adelaide and Portland during winter. The trial will look at whether sheep that travel more than 800 km to port are more prone to on-board sickness and mortality, with the first shipment to leave Portland within weeks.

All they're interested in, is money, money, money, and never mind the poor sheep.
    Eve

Dairy calf producers exporting to China are being urged to improve communication with their buyers to ensure the trade survives. Dairy calf exports dropped dramatically in recent years, following the death of a large number of calves.

Dan Williams, from Austrade, says local producers need to provide the Chinese with a better understanding of environmental and feed requirements to keep animals alive.

Why did these young calves die? And how many were involved? Why are we still sending them to China?
    Eve

Free_Tibet

Default WA exports 350,000 sheep to Saudi

Breaking Rural News : LIVESTOCK
    http://qcl.farmonline.com.au/news_daily.asp
    WA exports 350,000 sheep to Saudi
    By REBECCA RAWLINGS
    Monday, 24 October 2005

WA has already exported more than 350,000 sheep to Saudi Arabia, since the trade re-started in July.

But there's been a slow start to resumption of trade in the Eastern States.

WA Live Export Association chair, John Edwards, said that, on top of the normal Middle East requirements, four sheep shipments, with some cattle, had left WA since the Saudi market reopened.

And another 90,000 sheep are being prepared for the next consignment.

Mr Edwards said that, since the trade had re-opened, no shipments had left the eastern states. However, shipments were likely to begin in November, when WA sheep numbers dried up.

Mr Edwards warned that, due to the distance from the Middle East markets, the cost of fodder and fuel was impacting on the price importers would pay for sheep.

Any upward movement of shipper prices would mean loss of market share in Middle Eastern markets.

"While we can maintain bigger than average live weights at current values sheep will remain competitive," Mr Edwards said.

Mr Edwards said importers were looking for heavier sheep to balance out increasing shipping costs.

"We are now in the month of Ramadan and going into the Haj festival in January," he said.

"This should regain the confidence of Australian sheep producers, providing a firmer position for long tail contracts after some scepticism from producers following last year's Haj festival."

He said 2006 would provide good opportunities for producers preparing long tail sheep, with some producers preparing long tail sheep for a shipment in December.

SOURCE: Farm Weekly, WA, October 20.

Default Re: WA exports 350,000 sheep to Saudi

Last weekend we heard that the live export ship the MV Maysora had been moored for a week off Fremantle (WA) with up to 80,000 sheep onboard. A wharfside accident had occurred on Saturday 15 October, and the marine safety authorities had required a full investigation - delaying the departure of the full-laden vessel for the Middle East. We had also been advised that the ship had engine problems and there were fears that the assisted ventilation system on the Maysora may not be operating adequately.

We alerted the RSPCA and the Depart of Local Govt (responsible for animal welfare in WA), who had not previously known of the situation. The ship finally departed Fremantle late Saturday evening - meaning some sheep had already been on the vessel for 8 days prior to departure.

Animals Australia issued a media release on Saturday to alert the media to the plight of these sheep, and are following up with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and others to try to prevent similar incidents. Each further day on one of these massive sheep ships is a further day too many for the animals. This incident just provides further evidence as to why this trade must end.
    Eve

cross barer

Live Export Ships Blamed as Sheep Fat Washes on to Perth Beaches

West Australian, Saturday October 29, 2005. Page.13

Sheep fat that live trade opponents say was almost certainly dumped from live export ships has washed up on Perth beaches, sparking outrage from animal activists and a shark expert.

Clumps of fat from the dead sheep, which are gutted before being dumped overboard, were found at Swanbourne yesterday but Cottesloe resident Paul Nelson, who alerted authorities, said the fat had been on beaches from Swanbourne to City Beach for three days.

"All along there is sheep fat mixed in with the seaweed and you can see people's dogs eating it." he said. " I think it came in with the las big blow. It's polluting our beaches and that's what I am not happy about."

Shark expert and author Hugh Edwards said sheep fat would be attractive to sharks and could bring them closer to shore. Mr Edwards said the find was particularly alarming given a recent spate of shark sightings

The West Australain takes letters at letters@thewest.com.au

[from abc news on-line today] Live export company Emanuel is facing animal cruelty charges over a shipment of sheep from the Western Australian port of Fremantle to Kuwait in 2003. There were reports at the time that more than 1,000 of the 100,000 sheep on board died during the voyage.

WA Minister for Local Government John Bowler has confirmed charges have been laid against two company directors. Emanuel is accused of breaching several sections of the Animal Welfare Act.

Animals Australia pushed for the investigation and says it is pleased with the latest development. Spokeswoman Glenys Oogjes says the Animal Welfare Act will be tested in the case. "This is the first time that charges have been laid in relation to the live export trade in relation to this section of the Act and so we really welcome that going to court probably next year," she said.

"It's been a really long haul and we're thrilled of course that charges have been laid and we're extremely grateful that the State Government, state solicitor's office and the West Australian police have done a thorough investigation to bring it to this point."

The WA Farmers Federation says if the prosecution is successful, it could pose a threat to Australia's animal export industries. (well, let's hope so )
    Eve

This is the press release:
    Live Export Company Charged With Animal Cruelty

Historic charges laid by police in epic complaint. West Australian Police acting on behalf of the West Australian Government and the Office of the WA State Solicitor have laid animal cruelty charges against a leading WA live export company for breaching the WA Animal Welfare Act.

The WA Government has advised national animal protection body Animals Australia that charges have been laid against Emanuel Pty Ltd and two directors which allege that the company between the 10th and 14th November 2003 breached Section 19 (1) and 19 (3) (a) (b) (d) and 80 of the WA Animal Welfare Act. The offences allege that the exporter breached Section 19 (1) of the WA Animal Welfare Act ; a person must not be cruel to an animal, S.19 (3) (a) transporting an animal in a way that is likely to cause it harm; (3) (b) confining an animal in a way that is likely to cause it unnecessary harm and (3) (d) not providing proper food.

The charges relate to a complaint lodged in December 2003 by Animal Australia which alleged that a shipment of over 100,000 sheep which departed Fremantle for the Middle East aboard the livestock vessel MV Al Kuwait breached the WA Animal Welfare Act. Acting on expert legal advice that the live export of sheep potentially breached Section 19 of the WA Animal Welfare Act, Animals Australia in conjunction with international farm animal welfare group, Compassion in World Farming conducted an investigation in Kuwait in November 2003.

Investigators, including Animals Australia’s Communication Director Lyn White met the MV Al Kuwait on arrival into Kuwait City. Evidence documented by investigators supported by 20 years of industry research into the causes of death aboard live export vessels was provided to authorities to support a complaint that this shipment was in breach of WA animal welfare laws.

The news that charges had been laid was welcomed by Animals Australia and their legal counsel in Western Australia, leading barrister Martin Bennett. Mr Bennett on behalf of Animals Australia had instigated Supreme Court action in January 2005 to compel the government to investigate the complaint. The action was withdrawn on being advised that the government were instigating a full investigation.

Martin Bennett said: “It is pleasing to see a positive outcome to the investigation prompted by the Supreme Court legal action taken by Animals Australia. The shipment in question of live sheep was an industry-typical shipment as regards treatment of sheep and mortality rates, as such, the outcome of the prosecution could have wide-ranging ramifications for the live sheep trade generally.”
    ====
    Not often we get good results, but Animals Australia didn't give up.
    Eve

Free_Tibet

Default WA Farmers backs Emanuel live exporter in court dispute

WA Farmers backs Emanuel live exporter in court dispute

http://www.farmonline.com.au/news_daily.asp?ag_id=30637

Australia

Monday, 14 November 2005

Animal cruelty charges against one of WA's biggest live sheep exporters, Emanuel Exporters, is seen as a threat to WA's $700 million-a-year live sheep export trade.

Police have charged Emanuels and two of its directors under the WA Animal Welfare Act, following a long-running campaign by animal welfare group Animals Australia.

The charge, the first of its kind, relates to a shipment of sheep to the Middle East in 2003, in a manner allegedly likely to cause them harm.

WAFarmers has warned that a successful prosecution could bring down the entire WA live export industry, if it set a precedent.

“The charges being pursued against Emanuel Exporters must be kept in perspective in that they occurred two years ago on a specific ship, at a specific time and specific place,” WAFarmers President Trevor De Landgrafft, said.

“No Farmer condones cruelty to animals," he said.

"The industry is continually moving towards the adaptation of new technologies and improved animal husbandry, as they become available, to minimise animal mortality rates throughout the entire supply chain."

The charges come a few months after the WA live sheep trade with Saudi Arabia was resumed in July.

The trade was suspended after the MV Cormo Express incident in 2003, when Saudi Arabia rejected the shipment on the grounds of alleged scabby mouth disease.

The Cormo Express then spent two months at sea, with 57,000 sheep on board, until an alternative port could be found, with government help, to unload the sheep.

SOURCE: WAFarmers media

=================

Disclaimer: Please note articles are for informational purposes only. This member does not necessarily endorse the content or content of links provided.

Default Re: WA Farmers backs Emanuel live exporter in court dispute

Beef and cattle producers have been warned they need to get organised or suffer the consequences of the latest animal welfare campaign. Next year the World Society for the Protection of Animals will go into battle against long haul livestock transport, with Australia one country in its sights.

The Department of Agriculture's Dean Merrilees told the Cattle Council's annual general meeting that "Certainly Australia as a major exporter of livestock and livestock products will be a focus for that campaign both internationally and domestically," he said. "The simple messages are about being prepared, being proactive and making sure that you have your case ready to put forward with credible spokespeople and there are many in the beef industry that are well placed to play that sort of role."
    Eve

Free_Tibet

From FarmOnLine
    SOURCE: Extract from full report in Stock & Land, Victoria
    Australia, November 17

Animal welfare issues to escalate in 2006, and beyond
    By Brydon Coverdale - Australia

http://www.farmonline.com.au/news_daily.asp?ag_id=30669

The Australian cattle industry should prepare for more campaigns
    from animal liberation groups - the PETA campaign against sheep
    mulesing was just the beginning.

That was the message from a Department of Agriculture expert to
    members of the Cattle Council of Australia (CCA) at its annual
    general meeting in Melbourne on Tuesday.

Dean Merrilees told CCA members the PETA campaign against mulesing
    was just the beginning.

Australia needed to be proactive and provide scientific research on
    welfare issues to justify its policies.

Mr Merrilees said consumers, especially in Europe, increasingly
    wanted food and fibre products from "welfare-considerate" production
    systems.

Mr Merrilees warned that the World Society for the Protection of
    Animals would be launching next year a campaign against the long-
    distance transporting of animals - by sea, road and rail.

Australian livestock industries needed to be aware it was an area
    that would be closely scrutinised.

SOURCE: Extract from full report in Stock & Land, Vic, November 17

The RSPCA says it will continue to push for an end to live animal exports after the deaths of 94 goats sent from Queensland. The goats died en route from Roma in the state's southern inland to Vietnam.

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) is investigating.

Queensland RSPCA chief executive Mark Townend says the arguments for live exports on religious and economic grounds can not be supported. "We've had many thousands of deaths over the years and it won't stop until we stop live export trade and it's got to be stopped," he said.

"It's not going to be continued and it should be replaced with carcass trade - that's good for everybody, good for exporters, good for jobs in Australia and good for the animals."
    Eve

'Good for everybody' When will this madness ever end?

That's what even people who genuinely want to stop the live export trade say - that it is better to export carcasses. Actually Roma is not all that far from where I live really, and a friend of mine was there last week. I had no idea there was a trade in goats. If 94 died, how many continued on to Viet Nam I wonder.
    Eve

The latest is that the goat deaths prompt air freight overhaul. The Australian Quarantine Inspection Services (AQIS) is making significant changes to the live export of animals by air, after the death of goats on a flight from Brisbane to Vietnam.

Ninety breeder goats died in the cargo compartment of a Singapore Airlines passenger plane during two flights in September. AQIS is still investigating the incidents and says it is introducing broad changes to rules as a result.

Owner of the stock, boer goat breeder, Glen Telford, says it appears poor ventilation caused the deaths. "While it was a very distressing incident, it has meant that there has been a very, very thorough investigation into the transportation of livestock by air," he said. "And I believe that that industry will be all the better for that.

"It was just a pity that me and my goats had to suffer to bring the investigation about."

He & his goats? Did he die?
    Eve

Exporters are preparing to send another 45,000 Tasmanian sheep to the middle east, in the next month.
    Hubby and I have been to a protest this morning.

Dont forget to keep the pressure on our politicians.
    For more info. http://www.animalsaustralia.org/defa...1272&idL2=1283

Australian Day of Action - Ban Live Exports - 25th of March

There will be activities in many cities; download the petition here.

Set up petition gathering in your area ( - check with council regulations.)

For further information - and stirring motivation, go to the Animals Australia site.

With great gratitude, Alistair.

Today in the abc on-line news, there's an article about the wet season taking its toll on live cattle export. It says "The Northern Territory's protracted wet season is having a lasting impact on live cattle exports to South-East Asia. Feedlots in Australia's largest market, Indonesia, are less than half-full, with another 50,000 cattle needed."

It doesn't explain how the wet season takes its toll on the live cattle exports - do the cattle die of the wet?
    Eve