Thread: building immune system - advice please

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default building immune system - advice please

hi all!
    I work ina children's nursery and i'm constantly picking up bugs, flu, viruse etc. Any ideas on how i could build my immune system? I thoughteating oranges- for flu. Any thoughts? I've always picked peoples bugs up and when working with kids i'm picking things up more regularly (like nearly every week- even if its just a cold )

x

Default Re: building immune system- advice please

Make sure you get lots of fresh fruit and vegatables. I work with the public and find as long as I'm getting a couple of portions of fruit a day I stave off the infections everyone else goes down with. Smoothies are a good way of adding to your intake although store bought smoothies are a bit pricy.

As well as the above suggestions, washing your hands alot cannot be overstated enough when you're around germs and viruses. Plus, if you don't think your hands are overly clean at any given moment, don't scratch your eyes, nose or mouth. Those are direct routes for an infection to enter.

Echinacea and zinc are great for the immune system. Also, avoid acid-forming foods such as caffeine, alcohol, and tomatoes. But I'd keep the citrus fruit intake up, in addition to taking a multi-vitamin and mineral. Also, I find taking zinc helps me to get over my colds a lot faster. Although this one seems to be really hanging on!! The best bet is to just avoid them altogether with a strong immune system!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Do you think some people have stronger immune systems than others? I never get sick really ever. I drink LOTS of water and eat at least 6/7 portions of fruit a day, whether I make my own smoothies, own fruit juice or just open a tin of pineapple for example. I come into contact with about 90-100 different people in a daily situation and they are covered in dirt and grime, yet I never catch anything ever.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Do you think some people have stronger immune systems than others?
    DEFINITELY! I've been sick for months at at time with bronchitis, strep throat, flu, colds, sinusitis... I've been sick for the majority of the year since the age of 16... I've been tested for nearly every auto-immune disease there is. But others I know haven't had a cold since highschool! I don't think it has much to do with my diet, I've always been careful to avoid foods that can trigger these symptoms, along with eating all of my vegetable servings and fruit most days. Effin sucks.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I have a thoery which is that i have a poor immune system because i wasn't breast-fed. Does any of those who get sick alot not been breast-fed?

Thanks for the great advice: fruit anmd wash hands and supplements... right, got it!

Thirding the "wash hands" advice.

Another advice: sleep regularly, often, and a lot. Also, it helps not to have children of your own. I used to *never* get sick, then I had kids. No more sleep. No more space. Surrounded by illnesses brought home from school... and now I get sick at least once a winter.
    context is everything

emzy, I don't get sick either.

Quote sponge View Post
    emzy, I don't get sick either.
    Were you breast fed for a long time? I think I was still on breast milk when I was 18months old!!!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: building immune system - advice please

Count me in as one who doesn't get sick either.

I rarely sleep, but do almost everything else right: meditate, yoga, exercise, good attitude, vegan food ... my only vices are tea, vegan alcohol and potato chips (in moderation of course)

Despite coming out of an illness right now, I hardly ever get properly ill. But as I haven't had to isolate any particular part of my life to work out what it could be, I don't knwo whether it's due to my lifestyle or genetics. My parents seem to rarely get ill, but then I eat pretty healthily. I do sleep quite a lot though, so that coudl be helping.

I'd only be able to say what's already been said then: eat fruit (and veg but I'm sure you already do that) and sleep well. The only other factor I can really think of is stress, but it's not as though people go out of their way to be as stressed as possible, so I can hardly say chill ouuuutttttt! and expect it to be in any way constructive.
    How did I get down here?

RebeccaDye

I have a thoery which is that i have a poor immune system because i wasn't breast-fed. Does any of those who get sick alot not been breast-fed?
    I was looking at a link the other day regarding premature birth and immune systems.
    The tips are meant for premature babies though some of them should work for adults;
    http://www.parenting.com/article/Pre...ystem-Boosters

I don't think I was ever breastfed, emzy. I did breastfeed my own kids for quite a while, realizing the importance. I think that I've confessed "good health" for so long that my body had no choice but to submit.

I am always sick... and I don't think I was breastfed... I don't think there is a huge connection here. Not to say there isn't any connection, but I think it has more to do with individuality of immune responses. Same with susceptibility to premature arthritis or autoimmune diseases.