Thread: Scotland Trip

Default Scotland Trip

Me and Emily are going on a week trip to Scotland in August. We are staying in a little eco cottage on Loch Ness.

Any tips of where to eat and what to do vegan wise in the area. I hear Inverness is quite near too but cannot find anything there.

Cheers,

Emzy
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: Scotland Trip

Hi Emzy, this thread might be of interest: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17556

Inverness isn't great for vegans but as a frequent visitor there, I can recommend the following shops:
    the health food shop on Baron Taylor Street
    the co-op on Church Street
    and there is a Holland and Barrett's on Eastgate (near Poundland!)

I don't eat out there much but there is a Thai restaurant, Lanna Thai, which is good and understands what vegan is: http://www.thaifood-scotland.com/

Hope that helps!

Anne

Thanks for that AnneCE! I'll take alooK!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Ok just had a look at the menu there....alot of seafood. I am pretty fucking allergic to seafood. Are they pretty good there? Do they cook the veg stuff seperately? Quite a few good looking dishes though so seems a shame to waste it.....

I live not too far from Inverness and have been to the Luna Thai in my non-vegan past. The waitresses were really cool and the chef came out to our table and pretty much invented a dish on the spot for my friend who was just being fussy! I think if you explain that you're vegan and allergic to the swimmy stuff they will do their best to make you something good.

I hope you guys enjoy your trip up here. I have to say, eating out is a bit of a pain in the ass if you are looking for anything nutritious, but the scenery and chilled out atmosphere will make up for it, if thats what your looking for!

I hope you have a great holiday Emzy! I'd love to visit Scotland some day

We are going up there to get away from the hustle so to speak. Emily will work on her dissertation (sp?) and so some paintings no doubt and no doubt we will both go on long walks/hikes.
    The eco lodge where we are staying does Breakfast and Dinner but we have only booked breakfast at the moment because of the money situation. Although I would be looking at having dinner there too if we have money then. The only thing we will have to worry about is lunch and I am already dead set on taking a little cool box with some goodies in it and maybe some vegan pot noodle type things (obviously not pot noodle cuz unilever suck!!!)

I have never been to Scotland before and I think it will be a truely memorable trip!!

cobweb

Hope you have a lovely time there!.

There's a huge shortage of vegan friendly eating places in the North of Scotland - maybe you could ask ahead though in your nearest pub/restaurant and see what they can do.
    As has been said, Inverness does have health food shops and a large Tesco so you might be better off making your own meals (will you have cooking facilities there?).
    The battlefield at Culloden is well worth a trip, and Loch Ness itself is stunning.
    If you have transport whilst away there's also the Black Isle, a peninsula near Inverness which is very pretty. Fairy Glen is a lovely place to walk there, and there are some nice beaches in the area. Elgin is a nice town, too, not too far away.
    Mind you if you just want to chill out you are going to the right place and may not want to travel about.

cobweb

p.s - you may want to get some Neem Oil to scare away the ubiquitous Highland Midges!

Quote cobweb View Post
    p.s - you may want to get some Neem Oil to scare away the ubiquitous Highland Midges!
    Thanks for that! Local knowledge rocks!

I think we will just be sticking aorund Loch Ness to be honest with a day trip to Inverness at some point during the trip. If we like it, which I'm sure we will, we will be going up more often. The eco lodge is more like a B&B than a lodge so we don't have cooking facilities as such.

cobweb

i see - well if you like it in Scotland you should come to Orkney someday - far less Midges, loads of historical sites and some great little shops! (also lots of wind and Sheep - oh, and my gigantic man eating Hare that lollops round the field next to my window! )

Quote cobweb View Post
    i see - well if you like it in Scotland you should come to Orkney someday - far less Midges, loads of historical sites and some great little shops! (also lots of wind and Sheep - oh, and my gigantic man eating Hare that lollops round the field next to my window! )
    I've heard about that hare lol! Well if I ever get a new job I plan on travelling the UK as it is something I have wanted to do all my life. I've done most of Europe and north Africa. I won't venture any further because of the flying. Orkney is definately on my list of places to go!!

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Thanks for that! Local knowledge rocks!

I think we will just be sticking aorund Loch Ness to be honest with a day trip to Inverness at some point during the trip. If we like it, which I'm sure we will, we will be going up more often. The eco lodge is more like a B&B than a lodge so we don't have cooking facilities as such.
    Honestly,don't take the warnings about midges lightly.I have heard of studies showing concentrations of half a million per square meter!August time round water,lol,they could literally ruin your trip if you're not prepared.Get yourself a head net and some kind of repellent,Neem,as mentioned before or a Citronella or Eucalyptus based one!
    I remember camping one time without the above precautions and gave up counting the bites on one arm alone when i got to 150!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

cobweb

he-he, Gogs, they don't like me, i never get bitten but my husband who has pale skin and red hair gets eaten alive if he just steps outside!

cobweb

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I've heard about that hare lol! Well if I ever get a new job I plan on travelling the UK as it is something I have wanted to do all my life. I've done most of Europe and north Africa. I won't venture any further because of the flying. Orkney is definately on my list of places to go!!

i always wanted to see the whole of the U.K - in the end i did it by moving around so much!
    i started off in South Cornwall and ended up in Orkney
    Orkney is great and i can get loads of vegan supplies here

So where can I find this midge repellent stuff?

ooh we were looking at going Scotland in August! But now we're getting married instead

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    ooh we were looking at going Scotland in August! But now we're getting married instead
    All I can say is

My life changing trip to Scotland!

I started my drive on a lovely hot and sunny day. I already had plans to stop off at Liverpool where my "big sister" lives and go to Manchester Pride. Liverpool is about 250miles from me which is roughly 3hours at my pace.

Anyway pride was fantastic. I saw lotsa yummy girls, danced around to ABBA tribute bands and brought loads cool gay stuff...which unfortunately I lost somewhere before the day was out.

The next day I got up early and said goodbye to my friends. It was raining really heavy and was very windy on those 450miles of highland roads. You could barely see anything. I took regular breaks and was amazed at the small hills that had started to rise around me. Where I live it is totally flat!

When I finally pulled into the B&B almost 7 hours after I set off the owner, Fiona, was so welcomming. She showed me my room and round the house. She even told me the first place I should go. I charged my phone in my room and stuck my walking boots on. I trekked down the road abit and the first thing I noticed was that all I could hear were the birds cheeping. No cars, no people....NOTHING! It was beautiful....oh btw the B&B was on the side of Loch Ness. :smile: So I start walking down this track and find this little peir jutting out into the gloomy black waters. I went and sat on it for hours on end during my trip but the view was amazing and sent pulses of good energy through me.

I have always been scared of being alone and since breaking up with Emily I have had to face the hard truth of this. I saw the track ahead of me and picked up a large walking stick. I kept looking all around me to make sure noone was in the trees or following me. Then all of a sudden two red squirrels run out in front of me, look at me as if to say, " what are you doing in my wood?" and then ran off. Calmed me down alot. Then out of nowhere a stagg and a couple of deer ran out right infront of me. I have never seen live wild deer before. I felt so safe and welcome in the forest I stayed there for a while. When I finally climbed the hill toget out the otherside I was in a self inspired state of euphoria. I had changed right there and then. I was no longer depression ridden Emz....I was someone new and the changes didn't stop there.

For the rest of the holiday I did everything alone and loved it. I climbed the Nevis Range and drank fresh spring water. I saw castles and took a cruise on the Loch. I even went to ancient burial grounds and loved every single second. All the while eating a great vegan breakfast everyday! I even got myself a new tattoo whilst I was there!

On my last night another couple were staying at the B&B and turned out they were vegan too. Over a wonderful dinner we chatted constantly...which is why I have no pics of my food! We even went down to my little pier and watched the sun set. So dark and with no light pollution.

Leaving was very emotional. I cried and hugged Fiona. She was wonderful and so was her husband!

I stopped off in Liverpool again on the way back and gor roped into going to Merseyside Animal Rights punk gig fundraiser. Can you believe the city council even gave them a grant??? What is that? Anyway had a wikked time there eating banana cake and jumping around.
    The next day I called an old friend and we met up for a walk in the countryside around Liverpool where we saw:

To cut a long story short I plucked up the courage in my new found self and kissed him, which ofcourse he was not expecting, me being the big lesbian and all. To cut a long story short....we ended up making love and it was the weirdest and most spontanious thing ever.

I get back and now I like guys too! Wow! I feel so free in myself...I can do what I want now and don't have to hide it!

So on a follow up to that I had a date with a guy yesterday!

(No omni trouble and no hassle my entire trip! Loved it!)

lovely photos Emzy - so glad you had a good time

Wow Emzy, you and your pictures are so beautiful! It's amazing what a holiday alone can do for the soul, and in a place as stunning as Scotland...

I'm really sorry about your breakup, but it sounds like things took a very pleasant turn in any case

Glad you had such a good time.

It looks lovely there. Great story and great pics

Looks and sounds like quite a trip - well done emzy!

I think I see Kevin Costner at the bottom of that waterfall - nakey!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote vava View Post
    I think I see Kevin Costner at the bottom of that waterfall - nakey!
    I was thinking more of Jenny Agutter but, hey, there's probably room there for them both!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I was thinking more of Jenny Agutter but, hey, there's probably room there for them both!
    yeah but then they would get it on with each other! - looks like it is you and me then gogs!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Fab photos emzy, and what an inspirational write-up about your journey (and not just the trip to Scotland!)

I'm so glad that you are feeling great in yourself. Go you!

It was wonderful and is why I haven't been on the forum for ages. (that and a lack of internet!)

So life is this new canvas for me! The depression practically ate me alive, but now I'm back...maybe to a person I haven't been in years...maybe an entirely new person. All I know is that I am happy and that life is moving on!

Hi Emzy
    it was brilliant reading about your trip north and the effect it has had on you. I struggle with depression too and am under a bit of stress - I have begun to think about a wee trip to spend some time in the fresh air, no light pollution etc - and you have inspired me to go for it. It won't be till November at the earliest but I like that time of year. Can you give me the B&B's details by PM or even on here?
    I bet I won't be the only vegan heading their way based on your recommendation.
    And enjoy being alive after the depression!
    Anne

Quote vava View Post
    yeah but then they would get it on with each other! - looks like it is you and me then gogs!
    Ach, it's a nice big waterfall, plenty of room for everyone!

And i'm real glad you had a great time in the Highlands Emzy. And not a mention of midges!

Lovely to see your holiday photos Emzy and to know you had such a wonderful time! xx
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

The B&B is called Evergreen! http://www.evergreenlochness.co.uk/

You should definately go AnneCE and say hi to Fiona and Graham for me! I'm definately going back!

There were no midges but plenty of wasps!

Quote AnneCE View Post
    I bet I won't be the only vegan heading their way based on your recommendation.
    Makes me want to hot-foot it up there right now, could do with a bit of inner life change myself!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

brilliant, emzy, just what you needed as it turned out!.

Life can be funny sometimes, you must of had someone watching over you on your trip.

Very happy for you.x

wow, that sounds amazing emzy! and the b&b sounds fab...will definately remember that. we're planning to make a trip to scotland some time next year, and the thought of food was holding me back a bit (there are times when sometimes i irrationally hate my veganism...)

glad you had a fab time. i had a year similar to the one you had by the sounds of it, a few years ago. bad breakup, depressed, hated life etc... i took myself off to california for a month and rediscovered life and i literally came back a completely different person. sometimes it takes a little time alone in a strange place to really get to know yourself. sounds cliched, but i really think it's true...

amanda

Quote cobweb View Post
    brilliant, emzy, just what you needed as it turned out!.

Life can be funny sometimes, you must of had someone watching over you on your trip.

Very happy for you.x
    I felt abit like something very powerful was watching over me, almost sitting on my shoulder after the deer incident. What is meant to be is meant to be. Two days before, I wasn't even gonna go at all.

Guys, if you do go there make sure you have dinner at least one night. All the rooms have mini fridges anyway so you can bring all your own munchies. Fiona stocks them up with fresh fruit and soya milk everyday anyway!

Dinner consisted of:

Starter: Avocado, rocket, pine nut and sundried tomato salad
    Main: Vegetable stew with new potatoes
    Desert: Swedish glace and maple syrup

Also there was plenty of vegan wine on offer for those of you who like a tipple!