Thread: gObama!!

Thumbs up gObama!!

ok...just wondering...is anyone else out there as totally stoked as I am about the way Barack has been sweeping these primaries??
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Default Re: gObama!!

Just curious... what do you like about Obama?

Quote Kay View Post
    Just curious... what do you like about Obama?
    well, i definitely like all of the things that he wants to do with the country. from ending the war that i am adamantly opposed to, to being the voice for the typical, low to middle class citizen trying to get by. and i guess along with all of the policies that i agree with...i just get a sense that he is not completely full of crap. i say that because there will always be that part of me that tends to think that anyone seeking that much power can't be 100% good. but most politicians simply wreak of phoniness and bs...and i just dont really see that with him. not a fan of his?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

He's ok, but I think Hillary is ok also. I know a lot of people who are crazy about Obama, and I'm just trying to understand why that's all. ... May the best person win and do a good job

Quote Kay View Post
    ... May the best person win and do a good job
    absolutely!!!!

He got my vote, although I almost voted for Kucinich even though he dropped out. Hillary and Barack seem to be almost the same politically but she voted for war. If I knew Bush was lying, she should have known.

Quote John View Post
    He got my vote, although I almost voted for Kucinich even though he dropped out. Hillary and Barak seem to be almost the same politically but she voted for war. If I knew Bush was lying, she should have known.
    yes, i agree. also, something else that will never sit right with me in regards to her voting for the war is that still today, every single time she has been given the opporunity..she will never say the words "i made a mistake". i think the fact that she refuses to say that speaks volumes as to what type of person she is and what type of leader she would be. i don't know about you, but i certainly don't want another president who is too proud to ever admit having made a mistake. we all see where that got us with the last one!
    and what a shame that dennis is never taken seriously just because he is such a believer in peace. if only more leaders would take his approach...

Between Hilary and Obama, I prefer Obama.

I think it is great that he's a great orator. I think that is quite important. What will be needed isn't just another policy wonk leading the executive, but what we really need is an "educator" in chief. That means being able to make great speeches to rally people to come together on tough issues like healthcare and defense... and instead of just knowing policy, or having experience, we actually need someone who can talk and inspire.

I get annoyed by how talking and giving a great oration is downplayed. That is EXACTLY what is needed now. We need that hope based on vision more than we need a million hours spent in closed doors negotiating in backrooms in the senate. We need a great speaker who can educate the nation, we don't just need a policy expert.

So while Hilary would make an acceptable president instead of Bush, what we need is an exceptional president. We have that opportunity in Obama more than in anyone else currently running.
    context is everything

Pilaf

I'd have heavily preferred Kucinich, Gravel, Richardson or Edwards over Hillar or Obama.

Especially the first three...the ones who didn't, you know, actually help authorize the war in any way shape or form.

Which Obama did...but boy did he sure turn against it when it was unpopular. And now he wants to bomb Pakistan..some progressive he is.

Pilaf, I couldn't agree more.

I'm just comparing what is left of the fray. Electoral politics is generally makes for a false sense of change and disposes of community power for proxy power. Electing a king still produces a monarchy. It might not be as black and white, but the idea still stands.

For the sake of comparison, though, I do like Obama out of the possible winners. Gravel, no matter how interesting, has no chance at all of getting the delegates needed to be a candidate in the general election... and elections aren't really the way anywhere anyhow.

PS. I voted "Kucinich" in our primaries...
    context is everything

Quote Pilaf View Post
    I'd have heavily preferred Kucinich, Gravel, Richardson or Edwards over Hillar or Obama.

Especially the first three...the ones who didn't, you know, actually help authorize the war in any way shape or form.

Which Obama did...but boy did he sure turn against it when it was unpopular. And now he wants to bomb Pakistan..some progressive he is.
    i'm sorry but...how did Obama help authorize the war? and maybe i missed that but i dont recall ever hearing him say he "wants to bomb pakistan". i do agree that kucinich has great ideas and richardson is fine..but lets all be honest..gravel is a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. i do like the fact that he was able to stand up in the beginning debates and blurt out alot of truths that most of the public didnt even know about, but honestly..not someone i want to lead my country.

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    Between Hilary and Obama, I prefer Obama.

I think it is great that he's a great orator. I think that is quite important. What will be needed isn't just another policy wonk leading the executive, but what we really need is an "educator" in chief. That means being able to make great speeches to rally people to come together on tough issues like healthcare and defense... and instead of just knowing policy, or having experience, we actually need someone who can talk and inspire.

I get annoyed by how talking and giving a great oration is downplayed. That is EXACTLY what is needed now. We need that hope based on vision more than we need a million hours spent in closed doors negotiating in backrooms in the senate. We need a great speaker who can educate the nation, we don't just need a policy expert.

So while Hilary would make an acceptable president instead of Bush, what we need is an exceptional president. We have that opportunity in Obama more than in anyone else currently running.
    ok, i have to be the one to say it...i think a chimpanzee would make an acceptable president instead of Bush!

also, i def agree with you about this country needing someone who can inspire them. other candidates try to shrug that off as something trivial. but the fact is..for the past 8 years the american public has been left in the dark, and dumbed down by distractions meant to instill fear with a side order of helplessness. its about time we have a leader that will tell us the truth, whether good or bad, not one that thinks he is above everyone..and every law. and feels no need to explain and/or justify his actions.

I though Bush was a chimpanzee!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    hahaha! striking resemblance!

I for one am very excited for Obama. I just hope this can get decided before convention becuase I think it will really hurt the Democrats chances if it comes down to a bitter battle with the superdelegates. Especially if whoever gets the nomination had less pledge delegates. It will cause more division and people on the fence may vote republican. Anyway, I think Hillary or Obama would be okay, but some things about Clinton rub me the wrong way...like that stunt she pulled in Michigan keeping her name on the ballot. And now trying to seat them against the decision of the party. That's BS in my book and dirty politics.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    I for one am very excited for Obama. I just hope this can get decided before convention becuase I think it will really hurt the Democrats chances if it comes down to a bitter battle with the superdelegates. Especially if whoever gets the nomination had less pledge delegates. It will cause more division and people on the fence may vote republican. Anyway, I think Hillary or Obama would be okay, but some things about Clinton rub me the wrong way...like that stunt she pulled in Michigan keeping her name on the ballot. And now trying to seat them against the decision of the party. That's BS in my book and dirty politics.
    yes, i do agree with you about the superdel's being the ones to decide. i honestly think that is bs anyway...but if he continues to win every state...she should just realize that for the good of the party it is better to back down and let him have the nomination. but she is going to be a typical stubborn woman and stay in it potenitally messing things up. and yeah, the stunts that she pulls are dirty for sure. and even worse, i find that she cant take any of what she dishes out. i want someone that is above all of the dirtiness of politics who is just looking to do what is best for the country..and to me it seems like he is more the one to do that.

Quote missbettie View Post
    Please don't insult the chimpanzee.

Although I feel Obama has the calibre to be an exceptional president, I don't have faith in the way the American democracy works. IMO most presidents end up as being mere puppets for CIA, government bodies and business men who have their own agenda. This is what has happened in history and I personally don't think much is going to change.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

Quote Kiran View Post
    Please don't insult the chimpanzee.

Although I feel Obama has the calibre to be an exceptional president, I don't have faith in the way the American democracy works. IMO most presidents end up as being mere puppets for CIA, government bodies and business men who have their own agenda. This is what has happened in history and I personally don't think much is going to change.
    Kiran, i can't really say that i disagree with you on that point. i do have little faith in the way our system works..if any at all. but i am trying to believe that there is a shred of hope this time that maybe things can be a bit different. who knows....

Quote Pilaf View Post

By supporting the war, you mean voting to fund it? Because here's an excerpt from a speech, "Delivered on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 by Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator, at the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq war rally (organized by Chicagoans Against War in Iraq) at noon in Federal Plaza in Chicago, Illinois; at the same day and hour that President Bush and Congress announced their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War, but over a week before it was passed by either body of Congress."

. . .
    Now let me be clear – I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity.

He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him.

But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda.

I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars.

. . .

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama's_Iraq_Speech

By supporting the war, you mean voting to fund it? Because here's an excerpt from a speech, "Delivered on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 by Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator, at the first high-profile Chicago anti-Iraq war rally (organized by Chicagoans Against War in Iraq) at noon in Federal Plaza in Chicago, Illinois; at the same day and hour that President Bush and Congress announced their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War, but over a week before it was passed by either body of Congress."

. . .
    Now let me be clear – I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity.

He’s a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him.

But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda.

I am not opposed to all wars. I’m opposed to dumb wars.

. . .

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama's_Iraq_Speech

^^
    I don't know why that double-posted and I don't know why I can't erase one. I give up.

Quote John View Post
    ^^
    I don't know why that double-posted and I don't know why I can't erase one. I give up.
    john, i am really glad that you posted that! most news and media only give the vague fact that he was always opposed to the war and that clinton wasn't. but to read those words that he spoke 6 years ago is actually even more inspiring to me now. how much more dead on could he have been?! it just goes to show the type of insight that he has. good stuff!! i just hope that the Ohio and Texas can see clearly enough to recognize that.

Yes, it's true. I do wonder how he felt about the Afghanistan invasion. I don't know if he was for it or against it. I was against it but at least I can see some rationale for it--practically no one thought that Bush would decide not to concern himself with bin Laden anymore.

John, I think Korn took away the ability to delete our own posts. You can just edit it and put an "." in there instead, if you want to.

I gave up.

LOL - Ok.

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    but she is going to be a typical stubborn woman and stay in it potenitally messing things up
    Would you say Huckabee is being "a typical stubborn man" by staying in?

I prefer Obama to Hillary, but I think she's gotten a lot of sexist treatment of the subtle and not-so-subtle varieties.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

Obama will probably go through but I did not like his anti stance on gay marriage or civil partnership. He lost me there.
    Hillary, I think, would be more effective in the white house because she just ain't nice. I don't like her but she can be my president. Anyway, good to hear so many young people inspired... the way Reagan did in my time

good luck to them both
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote ALexiconofLove View Post
    Would you say Huckabee is being "a typical stubborn man" by staying in?

I prefer Obama to Hillary, but I think she's gotten a lot of sexist treatment of the subtle and not-so-subtle varieties.
    no, hes being a typical stubborn republican! haha, just kidding. i dont think with him its being stubborn. i think he might just be praying for a miracle and really believes it will happen.

and i dont know if i have seen or heard that much sexism toward Hillary. they have raised the issue of "can she do it?" being that she is a woman, but i think that was unfortunately unavoidable being she is the first woman to ever be a serious candidate for the presidency. but i have to say, as much as they have raised the issue of her gender, they have raised the issue of his color. it will always be something...so goes the nature of politics.

As Chris Rock said:
    Sure, America's ready for a woman President.
    I'm ready for a woman President.
    Just not this one..

I tend to agree but only because she seems so plastic.

In their debates she comes across as far too lawyerly whereas Obama comes across as the orator.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    As Chris Rock said:
    Sure, America's ready for a woman President.
    I'm ready for a woman President.
    Just not this one..

I tend to agree but only because she seems so plastic.

In their debates she comes across as far too lawyerly whereas Obama comes across as the orator.
    i could have said those exact same words! in my opinion..you've hit the nail on the head!

Quote Roxy View Post
    John, I think Korn took away the ability to delete our own posts. You can just edit it and put an "." in there instead, if you want to.
    That's true. If someone deletes the text in a thread, others can at least see that a post is missing now...

Earlier, if someone deleted a whole message, the following posts sometimes didn't make sense at all (and people complained to us about deleting posts...).

Do you all think Clinton will stay in it if she loses Texas tomorrow?
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    Do you all think Clinton will stay in it if she loses Texas tomorrow?
    i personally don't think its a matter of Texas as much as Ohio. I am getting the sense that she will do better there than most people have anticipated. If she happens to lose both states, I tend to think she may not continue on..but then again, you never know. I just wonder if he will actually sweep again. 3 in a row...could it be?]

ivandurago

The only person I could possibly feel good about voting for this year is dennis kucinich