Thread: Vegetarian (not "vegetarian-friendly") USA Places?

Default Vegetarian (not "vegetarian-friendly") USA Places?

I have an important question for my fellow like-minded vegetarians who reside in the USA. My husband and I currently reside in N. Central Florida (yuck, ick) and we need to relocate to a much more conscious USA state before the end of Summer 2008. I forgot to mention that we were born and raised in California and for painful reasons I can't go into right now, we can't return. Florida is the largest or 1 of the largest beef-production states in the USA and I tried to get more specific information, but the research grossed me out and I couldn't stand to read the hits any more. I can't even say or read the word "b**f" or "m**t" without feeling sick to my stomach, I'm very sensitive. My intuition tells me that there are states with regions that are completely vegetarian with zero meat-eaters and these places have at least 6 vegetarian restaurants that serve 100% non-meat vegetarian dishes. I said not "vegetarian-friendly" because I'm interested in actual vegetarian places and restaurants, not restaurants that serve meat and accommodate vegetarians. I would really like to find these places. Would someone please help me find these places? I'd great appreciate it. Thank you.
    Last edited by veganpixie; Feb 22nd, 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention something.
    From My Healthy Kitchen To Yours
    www.tastyvegankitchen.com

Default Re: Vegetarian (not "vegetarian-friendly") USA States?

California is a really great state for vegans and veggies. There are many vegan, veggie, and even raw restaurants out there! The only thing is getting past the politics and how EXPENSIVE it is there in comparison to most other states.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

You can also access this site to see what vegan, veggie, and raw restaurants are out there. California has quite a few!

trey

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    You can also access this site to see what vegan, veggie, and raw restaurants are out there. California has quite a few!
    happy cow doesn't really seem to keep it very up to date. Whenever I have been somewhere it has been very difficult to find restaurants that are still open, and actually have vegan options.

In N.Carolina we went to a restaurant and they said everything but three things were okay to eat. Then I pointed out that the na'an probably had a little butter in it and he goes oh yeah it has a little. Well, duh, then that's not okay. There ended up being LESS THAN three things to eat.

Oh really? I wasn't aware it was out of date. Personally, I've never been to an exclusively vegan, veggie, or raw restaurant but have made due very well at Indian and Japanese restaurants. I would also think that since CA is a much more liberal and populated state there are more options. Too bad you didn't find something at the restaurant, you can always substitute and combine meals, too!

Ditto on Northern California. That place is vegan heaven as far as restaurants go.

However, restaurants are only a shallow measure of how many vegans live in an area, and that social support is much more important than how many veg*n restaurants there are. The best measure would be to see how many active veg*n groups or AR groups there are in the area.
    context is everything

Vegan

Default Re: Vegetarian (not "vegetarian-friendly") USA Places?

Quote veganpixie View Post
    My intuition tells me that there are states with regions that are completely vegetarian with zero meat-eaters and these places have at least 6 vegetarian restaurants that serve 100% non-meat vegetarian dishes. I said not "vegetarian-friendly" because I'm interested in actual vegetarian places and restaurants, not restaurants that serve meat and accommodate vegetarians. I would really like to find these places. Would someone please help me find these places? I'd great appreciate it. Thank you.
    I am not sure if there are any "completely vegetarian" regions, but the Northwest (i.e. Portland, Seattle) has a high number of vegan/vegetarian restaurants if you are looking to avoid California. Cost of living is also a lot cheaper than California - it's not cheap by any means, but it's significantly more manageable than California. But, no, unfortunately vegans and vegetarians are still outnumbered here. But by not nearly the numbers as is the case in other parts of the country (such as Florida, I'm assuming).