Thread: Want to go somewhere vegan friendly

trey

Default Want to go somewhere vegan friendly

I would like to go on a bit of a vacation, I will be travelling west of Texas this summer, so I'm thinking I would like to go somewhere mid US or east US, somewhere really vegan. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Want to go somewhere vegan friendly

California!! Visit San Fran, Yosemite, Salt Lake, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, LA, etc, and then hit the Grande Canyon... It sounds like a great trip to me. I mentioned this in another thread, but CA is a very veggie and vegan friendly state.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

trey

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    California!! Visit San Fran, Yosemite, Salt Lake, Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey, LA, etc, and then hit the Grande Canyon... It sounds like a great trip to me. I mentioned this in another thread, but CA is a very veggie and vegan friendly state.
    yeah i'm going west this summer, so before that I would like to head out center north or east... thanks for the suggestion, i'll definitely go again when I'm out west, i've been out there several times before

I'm not sure what places in eastern US are vegan friendly. I'd say NYC just because of the size and diversity. And perhaps Philly, I lived there last semester. Or Vermont?! I've heard Vermont is full of "granolas", hippies, vegetarians. I think I'm visiting this summer. Anyway, hopefully someone will jump in and help you! I think anywhere can be vegan-friendly, its just a matter of the culture and openness to different people.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

In the midwest, Chicago is quite vegan friendly. Out of small cities, Ann Arbor Michigan is quite vegan friendly too.

In the "middle" of the US, other than that, several small college towns are vegan friendly; such as Yellow Springs, OH, and that small town in the west of NC... whose name I forgot.

The best out of the middle are Ann Arbor and Chicago.

Then there's what's been mentioned already (NYC, Austin TX, SF, etc.)
    context is everything

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I'm not sure what places in eastern US are vegan friendly. I'd say NYC just because of the size and diversity. And perhaps Philly, I lived there last semester. Or Vermont?! I've heard Vermont is full of "granolas", hippies, vegetarians. I think I'm visiting this summer. Anyway, hopefully someone will jump in and help you! I think anywhere can be vegan-friendly, its just a matter of the culture and openness to different people.
    VA is great for vegans,even a supermarket i was in in Brattleboro had a whole wall of veggie food ,i think in the 60's,70's a lot of folk 'dropped out' from NY (but had money) and moved up there and the positive fallout of that is to be seen now!
    I found Pittsburgh quite good as well,met a lot of vegans there!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I nominate my hometown: Portland, Maine. It's an awesome vegan city! There's an active vegan dining group, tons of veg-friendly restaurants and loads of earth-friendly businesses. Plus whether you want to hike the city's urban trails or go gallery hopping in the Arts District, Portland has it all going on. We're right on beautiful Casco Bay and only two hours by train from Boston. If you do decide to visit, I've posted my top 10 list of vegan-friendly restaurants at http://communetestedcityapproved.blo...-portland.html

Happy travels!

Isn't Portland, OR vegan-friendly?

I wouldn't suggest chicago as such a vegan-friendly city. i've lived here all my life and it is quite rare to run into many vegans. If you want to eat vegan here you pretty much will be eating salad unless you go to one of the veg restaurants. However, there are a few vegetarian restaurants that have numerous vegan options spread out amongst chicago.
    Here are a few:

Chicago Diner
    www.veggiediner.com

Handlebar
    www.handlebarchicago.com

Karyn's Raw
    www.karynraw.com