Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

Default Re: 30 Day Vegan Fitness Challenge

Quote treehugga View Post
    Where I come from 'fag' = homosexual
    It is used as a derogatory term for gay men here too although it is an American invention. However it is common to ask for a fag or a packet of fags etc and it would not at all be associated with homosexuality or a derogatory term. I'm not sure where it comes from, although I know it is only common in the UK and maybe only England. One of the guys at work just suggested it may have something to do with the Navy/Army. I'm not sure. Anyone know?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    It is used as a derogatory term for gay men here too although it is an American invention. However it is common to ask for a fag or a packet of fags etc and it would not at all be associated with homosexuality or a derogatory term. I'm not sure where it comes from, although I know it is only common in the UK and maybe only England. One of the guys at work just suggested it may have something to do with the Navy/Army. I'm not sure. Anyone know?
    I don't mean to be derogatory to anyone, but I did have a chuckle reading your posts "I haven't had a fag for 4 days' just seemed funny in the context my mind put it in.
    Giving up cigarettes is no joke though. I know I've been there. I suggest rewarding yourself once a week with something of the same monetary value you would have spent on smokes. It worked a treat for me. Also I joined the gym.

Quote treehugga View Post
    I don't mean to be derogatory to anyone, but I did have a chuckle reading your posts "I haven't had a fag for 4 days' just seemed funny in the context my mind put it in.
    Giving up cigarettes is no joke though. I know I've been there. I suggest rewarding yourself once a week with something of the same monetary value you would have spent on smokes. It worked a treat for me. Also I joined the gym.
    I rewarded myself with gym membership lol! 5 days and no smoking. It's starting to nag at me a little bit and I will be drunk tonight so lets see if my resolve sticks ay?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

good luck with the op treehugga

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I will be drunk tonight so lets see if my resolve sticks ay?
    Tell everyone you are going out with not to give you a fag under any circumstances, no matter how much you might beg them!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Tell everyone you are going out with not to give you a fag under any circumstances, no matter how much you might beg them!
    That would be easy accept all of my friends smoke and so does Emily. They all think it's a big joke because I have tried to give up so many times. I've just gotta keep my head about me I suppose. Emily will look out for me but the others will be offering them to me left right and centre. The cravings are starting to some on really strong now too. GREAT!

I think it is mean how people do that - they don't want you to give up because then they might have to think about whether they should be doing the same!

Friends of mine used Valerian and Hops tincture to quash cravings when they were giving up - because it is in liquid form it works quite quickly. Might be worth a try.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Valerian and Hops tincture.
    The only word I understand there is "and"

Not hops? Are you sure?!

Valerian preparations alone or in combination with hops are popular over-the-counter products used for sleep disturbances or anxiety.
    http://www.bioforceshop.co.uk/produc...n_hops_complex

Sorry just being dumb! So you think I can get that stuff at a H&Bs?

Zero

Day 11

I have been doing very light exercise the last couple of days again, I really feel like stepping it up again!

I have been looking at apartments here in Birmingham, just put deposit on one yesterday, should be moving the end of the month.

Fuel:

7 Bananas
    200g Blueberries
    60g Raw Halva (Tahini, Agave, Carob, Maca)
    1 Cucumber
    4 Apples
    Salad

Exercise
    1.5 mile run.

I think H&B tend to only sell their own brand stuff so probably not (or only in tablet form which will take too long to work if it works at all - I've never tried it)
    But any other health food shop should have it (I'd ring before to check if you are going specifically for that). If you can't get to a shop in the next few days it might be quicker to order online.

Valerian on it's own is good too but the hops make it stronger. Good for interview nerves as well!

Thanks for that Marrers! Iwent out last night and managed to resist fags all night long hehe!

Today I've been raw all day. I'll probably have a raw dinner too.....kinda strange I didn't think about it really. It was just what I fancied

Fresh homemade orange juice

Few baby spinach leafs

Raspberry, bananna, mango and kale smoothie

More orange juice

Only did a 20minute run today as I'm a little tired after being out on the piss last night. Tomorrow and Sunday = HARDCORE GYMNESS!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    good luck with the op treehugga
    Thanks Cedarblue. I'm sure I'll be impatient to get back to gym after afew weeks (well 6 ).

Today I did 1 hour of Body combat and ate a fairly healthy diet of dips and bread and a vege burgur for dinner. Might polish it off with a banana soy smoothie

Yesterday I spent two hours at the gym. Did some hardcore 20min cardio and some lesser cardio i.e rowing machine and ALOT of weights.

Ate very healthly except in the evening where I ate about half a bag of walnuts - however I'm going to burn them off at the gym in the next few hours. All in all a good weekend for working out.

Oh and guess what? NOT ONE SINGLE PUFF OF A CIGGY!

cobweb

well done emzy, it gets easier. i use walnut bach remedy when giving things up as it concentrated the mind/willpower.

today i cycled a few miles - first time on bike for over a year. damn nearly killed me but i feel great now i've recovered. i've decided i am not prepared to miss out the foods i enjoy, including the cakes, etc, so i'm going for damage limitation - more of the good things to balance out the not so good, and exercising daily. i'm going to start using dumbells this week aswell as cycling and a walking programme as i would like to firm up a lot.

I cycled 20 miles before breakfast this morning, still haven't quite got up to my 100 miles per week yet though.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

but walnuts are good for the old omegas emzy!

cobweb

Quote Jiffy View Post
    .............haven't quite got up to my 100 miles per week yet though.
    he-he nor me, jiffy

Quote cedarblue View Post
    but walnuts are good for the old omegas emzy!
    I once read that fruits, veg and nuts that are shaped like organs are actually good for that organ. Funny that walnuts look like little brains hehe! I know that are good but too many and it's abit calorific! (This bag was huge btw!!)

Well yesterday afternoon I spent 2 hours at the gym:

Speed walked - 2 miles
    Rowed - 5 minutes at 800cals per hour
    Bike - 20minutes on hill training
    Cross Trainer - 10 minutes on very high intensity
    Leg Press - 30 reps 20kg
    Lat Machine - 30 reps 15kg
    The two inner and outter thigh machines - 30 reps on each at 25kg
    Ab Cruncher - 30 reps at 30kg
    Chest Press - 30 reps at 10kg
    Triceps - 30 reps at 15kg
    Biceps - 30 reps at 20kg
    Side and ab twister - 30 reps each side at 15kg

Food - Scrambled tofu with lotsa veggies

Salad and more veggies in wholemeal tortilla wraps

sausage and mash with lotsa steamed green beans

Well done on the exercising emzy - and the not smoking!

I wonder how Zero, Cup O' Tea, Heartsease and Yum are doing? (And anyone else who has goals on here.) Give us an update folks!

Zero

Day 13 (saturday)

Yeah Marrers, I know I've been a bit sporadic with my updates of late.

A good day, I pushed myself really hard at the gym. Did things I don't normally do, like the treadmill, I generally stick to the Cross Trainer becuase it's non impact, I used to run half marathons and I am still careful with my knees after all that running on concrete.

Fuel:

8 Oranges
    200g Blueberries
    Big Salad
    5 Peaches
    2 Nak'd bars
    6 Bananas

Exercise:

Cross Trainer 15min
    Upper body weights (bench press, tricep dips etc)
    Treadmill - Army PFT 3.2km / 20min
    Core exercises

Zero

Day 14 (sunday)

Lazy day.....

Fuel:

6 Oranges
    200g Blueberries
    3 Nak'd bars
    2 Bananas

Not Raw:
    Vegetable Stew
    2 Slices of German rye bread

Exercise:
    None!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I wonder how Zero, Cup O' Tea, Heartsease and Yum are doing? (And anyone else who has goals on here.) Give us an update folks!
    I'm doing really well with the 'laughing more' and 'getting to bed before midnight' (or closer to midnight, at least...).

Clearly there's plenty room for improvement, even if much of that is down to the very foul weather we've been having. I feel shoved a little now (in a good way - thanks Marrers) and see that I still need to spend more time outdoors soaking up sunshine (or rain...blah!) to reach my goal.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

let's just say I didn't go out on my bike today, what with the monsoon and 60 mph winds.

I hope the weather improves later in the week.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I didn't do anything whatsoever yesterday except sit at work and be fucking miserable. I love going to the gym as it makes me feel good. No fags for 9 days now

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I once read that fruits, veg and nuts that are shaped like organs are actually good for that organ.
    *Makes mental note to feed the boyfriend lots of bananas*. We've got to keep that in good working order.

Funny you should mention that, but what I read actually cites banannas as good to prevent erectile dysfunction. I think it was an MSN article!

Good sperm

Quote Enchantress View Post
    *Makes mental note to feed the boyfriend lots of bananas*. We've got to keep that in good working order.
    It's yellow and curved?

It wasn't the last time I checked.

I'm not gonna be working out for five whole days !!! Got work today and tomorrow and after a 12 hour shift I just cant be arsed to do anything. Then Friday I'm going up to Liverpool until Sunday. Monday - Thurs I'm off work so 2/3hours at the gym everyday. Really get my shit together. Can feel a difference in my arms already...bit more muscle. I like it!

Zero

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I'm not gonna be working out for five whole days !!! Got work today and tomorrow and after a 12 hour shift I just cant be arsed to do anything. Then Friday I'm going up to Liverpool until Sunday. Monday - Thurs I'm off work so 2/3hours at the gym everyday. Really get my shit together. Can feel a difference in my arms already...bit more muscle. I like it!
    Good going Emzy, you are kicking ass!

Zero

Day 16

Cardio Combat was cancelled! So I just ran home instead to get my work out, the gym is always full of people on a Tuesday night so I avoid it.
    Gym Wednesday.

Fuel:

4 Apples
    1 Head of lettuce
    6 Oranges
    5 Bananas
    8 Strawberries
    Avocado Salad
    4 Fresh Figs

Exercise:

20 min run

Zero

Day 18

I went to the gym and really pushed myself, although my diet was a little messed up today. My diet has been less raw while doing this but at the moment I feel ok and I will get to where I need to be in due course I am confident in my long term resolve so I am less worried about the short term.

Fuel:

4 Apples
    1 Cucumber
    1/2 Cantelope
    1 Pineapple

Not raw:
    Bean and vegetable stew
    Houmous Salad Sandwich

Exercise:

Cross Trainer: 20 Min
    Upper body weights
    Treadmill 3.2km (18 min at average 11kph)
    Core exercises

Well, I hope to join in a short while (perhaps when this one is over we can start a new one). I need to get my diet sorted out. I'm not eating exactly what I want to, due to limited time and cooking skills. I think I'll do a bit of a detox for a week or two. Then I'll start doing all raw breakfast and lunch with half of dinner raw. That is, if I can get this worked out where I'm doing it healthily and on a student's time schedule. Workouts will resume on Monday evening. I'm looking forward to that.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Zero

Day 19

In the gym again, more or less the same routine as the previous day but I finished the PFT run in 17 min (18 min yesterday).

Fuel:

2 Pineapples
    2 Cucumbers
    5 Apples
    1 Watermelon
    1 Lemon juiced in water
    Avocado Salad
    Raw Halva

Exercise:

Cross Trainer: 20 Min
    Upper body weights
    Treadmill 3.2km (17 min)
    Core exercises

Zero

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Well, I hope to join in a short while (perhaps when this one is over we can start a new one). I need to get my diet sorted out. I'm not eating exactly what I want to, due to limited time and cooking skills. I think I'll do a bit of a detox for a week or two. Then I'll start doing all raw breakfast and lunch with half of dinner raw. That is, if I can get this worked out where I'm doing it healthily and on a student's time schedule. Workouts will resume on Monday evening. I'm looking forward to that.
    Cool ellaminnowpea, I have certainly got my level of activity back up using this thread. I haven't got to where I wanted to yet but hey, theres nothing wrong with having a goal right?

Zero

Day 20 (Saturday)

I got myself to the gym and pushed it again! I am feeling good and I am seeing my muscle definition coming back in my arms again.

Fuel:

200g Blueberries
    2 Pineapple
    1/2 Watermelon
    250g Grapes
    8 Apples
    Avocado Salad

Exercise:

25 Mins Cross Trainer
    Light upper body weights
    Core exercises
    Push ups
    Dips
    PFT run 3.2km in 17 min

---------------------------

On Sunday I completely blew everything, no exercise, hardly any raw! and I just felt lethargic all day monday. It's been a while since I've fallen off that badly.

Back to the gym tonight though, 3 oranges and 4 apples later and I am feeling more like myself again

Sometimes I think a little slip (and feeling the negative consequences) can actually help to keep you on track cos it reminds you why it is worth putting the effort in!

Zero

Quote Marrers View Post
    Sometimes I think a little slip (and feeling the negative consequences) can actually help to keep you on track cos it reminds you why it is worth putting the effort in!
    It cetainly does that, I have done it many times and I may even do it again in the future, as long as I get back up everytime it's ok

Thanks for the encouragment

animaladvocate

Quote Zero View Post
    It cetainly does that, I have done it many times and I may even do it again in the future, as long as I get back up everytime it's ok

Thanks for the encouragment
    Here here

VegProf

Hi! I'd be interested in starting this up again, too, once the current "30-day" challenge is over. I don't eat entirely raw, but I have loads of other fitness and health goals. Anyone else interested?

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to the gym to try it out/get signed up! I'm skinny fat and hope to put some muscle on so that I can gain or maintain weight but lose size. Also my wedding is coming up Quit smoking too.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Was at the gym for almost three hours yesterday. Managed to do abit of running aswell. Just goes to show the wonders of giving up smoking Almost a month now!!!

I did some hardcore cardio and was sweating alot which is quite unusual! I also spent a good hour on the weights and afterwards 20mins in the steam room. Abit of a treat really because I worry about my tattoos.

Quote VegProf View Post
    Hi! I'd be interested in starting this up again, too, once the current "30-day" challenge is over. I don't eat entirely raw, but I have loads of other fitness and health goals. Anyone else interested?
    We also have this thread for ongoing stuff. Or start a new one.

Zero

Day 23

I really didn't feel like doing anything, I think the cooked food "binge" the other day slowed me down a lot. I took myself to the Cardio Combat class today.

Food:

1 Green smoothie (2 Oranges, 1 Banana, 4 Lettuce leaves)
    Large salad - Avocado, lettuce, peppers, portabello mushroom with Hemp and Tamari dressing)
    5 Apples
    1 Trek bar

Exercise:

1 hr Cardio Combat

Quote Zero View Post
    Day 20 (Saturday)

Fuel:

200g Blueberries
    2 Pineapple
    1/2 Watermelon
    250g Grapes
    8 Apples
    Avocado Salad

Is that all you're eating in a whole DAY?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Zero

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Is that all you're eating in a whole DAY?
    Well yeah.....

Thats a lot of food when you really think about it, and it is very high in essential nutrients.
    Imagine all that on a table in front of you, it probably takes up more surace area than the average healthy 3 meals a day plus light snacks, but its lighter.
    My Salads are always really big too, with at least a whole big avocado among other things.

8 apples in one day would be enough to fill me up...jeeze! and are you really eating 2 whole pineapples?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Zero

Quote missbettie View Post
    8 apples in one day would be enough to fill me up...jeeze! and are you really eating 2 whole pineapples?
    Sometimes yeah

(They were two smaller ones as I recall)