Thread: not losing weight

Default not losing weight

hello
    I am new here. great forum. thank you!!
    question, I've been a vegetarian for 15.5 years and now finally vegan for almost a month, I was hoping to loose a couple pounds, but nothing, I even seem to gain weight.
    anybody any ideas why or what I might be doing wrong???!!
    thanks a bunch.
    kerstin ^o^
    "Humans aren't the only species on earth! We just act like it!"

Default Re: not losing weight

Quote batlady View Post
    hello
    I am new here. great forum. thank you!!
    question, I've been a vegetarian for 15.5 years and now finally vegan for almost a month, I was hoping to loose a couple pounds, but nothing, I even seem to gain weight.
    anybody any ideas why or what I might be doing wrong???!!
    thanks a bunch.
    kerstin ^o^
    hi...welcome to the forum! i will say that it is very possible for you to lose weight from a vegan diet, but it does not automatically happen. there are so many foods out there that can be healthy and yet still fattening. first, how are your portions? that is important to weight loss no matter what type of diet you have. can you give me an idea of the things that you have been eating on a typical day? i may be able to help you point out what the problem is. also, do you do any type of exercise?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Hi batlady and welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could give us a sample of what your daily diet is like as a vegan.....what kinds of things are you eating each day? That way, we might be able to help give some advice.

Hi Batlady.

As an overweight vegan, let me tell you that veganism is not a weight-loss diet! Anything you once enjoyed can be made vegan. And vegan desserts are 10 times more irresitable because it's cruelty-free.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

veganism is not a weight loss program, but welcome batlady. The same applies to vegans as applies to anyone else, that is, consume fewer calories than you expend, and increase your exercise.
    Eve

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Hi Batlady.
    And vegan desserts are 10 times more irresitable because it's cruelty-free.
    Totally!! I have to exercise restraint when it comes to vegan desserts!

Ditto with the vegan desserts. I've had to increase exercise and reduce portion sizes to lose weight and still those vegan delights tempt me... peanut butter flavoured anything is my downfall.

JC

i always thought veganism was a good way to go to lose weight. but lots of things you always thought were healthy actually aren't. for example, i've been having a small bowl of muesli for the past week, assuming it was a good breakfast. today, to my horror, i discovered i'd been consuming almost 400 calories in that little bowl of muesli with alpro light!!! jeez, i might as well have had that hot cross bun i'd been craving. heck, i could have had 2!

animaladvocate

http://www.skinnybitch.net/index.html

http://www.gillianmckeith.info/

I lost weight and have more or less maintained the loss with Gillian Mc Keith

JC, low calorie and healthy aren't always the same. Muesli can be high in fat and sugars because of the nuts, seeds, dried fruit in it. But the fat is the kind that is better for you than fat from animal sources, and these foods give you more vitamins and minerals than you would have got from those two hot cross buns.

I make my own muesli so I know what is in it, I add the seeds and fruit so I have control over how much I eat. I can make it luxurious by adding lots of fruit and seeds or cut back if I feel I am overdoing it. Why not try the same? And have an occasional hot cross bun or whatever, if you enjoy it! Food is enjoyable as well as nutritious and cruelty-free.