Thread: itchy scalp

Default itchy scalp

What is a good natural way to get rid of itchy scalp?

Default Re: itchy scalp

Shampoo? Rub some olive oil?

I'd like to know too. My scalp is hella itchy lately. I'm going to the doctor, it bleeds!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Interesting, I read this right after putting some apple cidar vinegar on my scalp. Works great for me. I also find that not using shampoo helps, because when I use shampoo, no matter what kind, no matter how well rinsed, leaves my scalp horribly itchy.

I tried the apple cider vinegear once and my scalp felt like it was on fire.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

hmmmm i've been having an itchy scalp for about a year now. i've tried the usual things, changing shampoos, rinsing really well with fresh water, massaging in conditioner etc. its just the front inch or so across my forehead at the front. itchy with embarrassing flakes that work themselves off. i've tried moisture cream, sweet almond oil etc no joy. i thought it was my age at one point (early menopause??), or hormones?

a visit to the trichologist would have cost £45 for an initial consultation which i cant afford right now so i went to the doctor, who basically prescribed me an anti dandruff shampoo and mild steroid cream to rub in

i'm no wiser nor less itchy - what a waste of an appointment - i'm saving for a trichologists visit now...

A friend of mine finds cider vinegar very helpful.

Personally I have found using a shampoo or conditioner containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate) is guaranteed to make the flakes worse so I avoid those. My favourite shampoo at the moment is Green People's Rosemary Shampoo. Seems to really keep the flakes at bay. (It is not cheap but lasts for ages as a tiny bit really does go a long way.)

Also try to not scratch your scalp when it is itchy - you'll dislodge more flakes. Try digging your nails in a bit over the area rather than scratching.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I tend to get itchy scalp and dandruff. I have been using the JASON Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo for the last few months. It's really mild, but still keeps my dandruff and itchy scalp at bay.

I found that using too mild a shampoo made my scalp very itchy after a few weeks use. The JASON one seems to strike a good balance.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I tried the apple cider vinegear once and my scalp felt like it was on fire.
    Try diluting it, and don't do it after you've been scratching because you leave the skin nice and open tiny wounds. You can also use it in the shower, and rinse it out.

I make an oil blend that works wonders. Rub this into your hair and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then wash with your preferred shampoo. Do this 2-3 times a week until your itchiness/dandruff clears up, and then cut back to once a week or every other week.

Here's the blend with the ingredients in order from most to least (I've found the exact proportions are not that important):

sweet almond oil (should make up about 2/3 of the mixture)
    jojoba oil
    wheatgerm oil
    rosemary essential oil (10-15 drops)
    lavender essential oil (8-12 drops)
    juniper essential oil (5-8 drops)
    chamomile essential oil (5-8 drops)--optional, recommended for blondes.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Flaky scalp is not dandruff btw, that doctor's think that it is infuriates me.
    Baking soda and vinegar work pretty well for me, and oiling in between. I have in mind that I am scrubbing the dead skin off with the baking soda while I am doing it.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

RebeccaDye

How about this Lush Product:
    http://www.lush.co.uk/categories/Sca...tments_70.aspx
    It's not exactly homemade but it works for me!

i'll check those out next time i'm there, thanks rebecca. incidently my daughter has a school friends called rebecca dye - what a coincidence!!

RebeccaDye

You're welcome cedarblue. Really! Haha that's great!

Dragging up an old thread, but I've been having this problem for several months and its driving me craaaaaaaaazy !

My scalp is constantly itchy - not a dandruff problem, but just sore and red and I need to scratch all the time !

I've tried everything that has been previously mentioned on this thread. I swear I have tried every vegan shampoo that exists, as well as no shampoo, cider vinegar, different oils, baking soda, essential oils, stuff from lush ...

I've also been to the docs and he's no help The other thing is that my hair is coming out in clumps - seriously, I'm surprised I'm not bald ! (but my hair is definitely thinning) I've had blood tests and they can't find anything wrong.

Anyone got any ideas of products/remedies apart from the ones that I've already tried that may help ??
    Thank you

Sounds like it might be worth giving homeopathy a try since nothing else has worked and the gp is also stumped.

Could it be stress related? Maybe you could see if yoga, meditation or relaxation tapes help?

I'm suffering with an itchy scalp too but when I scratch I get dandruff flakes - very embarassing. I think it's caused by hairsprays etc since I've changed hairstyle.

I hope your situation improves. I know quite a few people who have lost hair due to stress and now have thick healthy hair again.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

got enough omegas in your diet?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote Marrers View Post
    Sounds like it might be worth giving homeopathy a try since nothing else has worked and the gp is also stumped.

Could it be stress related? Maybe you could see if yoga, meditation or relaxation tapes help?

I'm suffering with an itchy scalp too but when I scratch I get dandruff flakes - very embarassing. I think it's caused by hairsprays etc since I've changed hairstyle.

I hope your situation improves. I know quite a few people who have lost hair due to stress and now have thick healthy hair again.
    I hadn't thought about homeopathy, will give that a go - thanks Marrers

Hmmmm, probably is stress related, and I haven't meditated for a long time now thinking about it.

I remember I used to get flakes when my hair was shorter and I used hairsprays and things - v. annoying ! (Your new style looks great in the pics I've seen )

I keep thinking about just shaving it all off - not at all sure I could pull that off though

Quote vava View Post
    got enough omegas in your diet?
    I've just started adding some to my smoothies every day, hopefully that may make a difference ??

Hi Scarlett............have you changed your shampoo recently, it could be a bad reaction to a new shampoo or conditioner!

p.s. It's good to see you back on the forum again!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

hey sandra

I usually have around 5 shampoos on the go and rotate them - my hair goes a bit mental if I use the same one more than a couple of times !!! I reckon it is stress, as its been flaring up on and off for years, having thought about it

Oh, I thought it was a recent thing Scarlett.................if it's something you've been having for years it probably means you are just allergic to something and haven't found out what it is yet. On the other hand maybe it is stress. Hope it goes away soon though! xx
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote scarlett View Post
    hey sandra

I usually have around 5 shampoos on the go and rotate them - my hair goes a bit mental if I use the same one more than a couple of times !!! I reckon it is stress, as its been flaring up on and off for years, having thought about it
    My hair is like that too--I always just thought I had weird hair. It looks so much better for the first week or so after I change shampoos, then goes kind of funny on me. I never thought to keep several and rotate....thanks for the idea!

I have to rotate to. My hair goes greasy otherwise.
    Hope you find a way to stop the itching scarlett.

I often used to have itchy scalp problems, but since working for stuff i've found the following things amazing...

Soak and float shampoo bar - loads of cade oil in it, so doesn't smell nice but certainly gets rid of the itching.

Veganese conditioner - has lavender and rosemary infusions that are great for the scalp.

But mainly... snake oil, a scalp massage bar, it solid cocoa butter that you melt in your fingers then massage into the scalp, all sorts of lovely ingredients in it that soak into your scalp to give it loads of moisture and sooth away any itches.

^ Sadly, I find Lush hair products just make it worse ^

Thanks puffin the search continues ...

Hope rotating works for you mariana

Quote scarlett View Post
    ^ Sadly, I find Lush hair products just make it worse ^
    Even the snake oil? That'd be reeeally strange.

There's also a new hair moisteriser treatment called hair doctor thats brilliant for the scalp too.

Quote Sticklebricks View Post
    Even the snake oil? That'd be reeeally strange.
    Yep, even that

Quote scarlett View Post
    Dragging up an old thread, but I've been having this problem for several months and its driving me craaaaaaaaazy !

My scalp is constantly itchy - not a dandruff problem, but just sore and red and I need to scratch all the time !

I've tried everything that has been previously mentioned on this thread. I swear I have tried every vegan shampoo that exists, as well as no shampoo, cider vinegar, different oils, baking soda, essential oils, stuff from lush ...

I've also been to the docs and he's no help The other thing is that my hair is coming out in clumps - seriously, I'm surprised I'm not bald ! (but my hair is definitely thinning) I've had blood tests and they can't find anything wrong.

Anyone got any ideas of products/remedies apart from the ones that I've already tried that may help ??
    Thank you
    My mother has exactly the same problem, started about three and a half years ago now. Scratching etc has made it much worse. The problem is that after a while the skin and even nerves can be damaged and then there are problems such as crawling sensations, imagined insects etc. In my mother's case it is now getting a little better though she will probably always have a bald patch from it. The best thing seems to come from using a non medicated cream. Essentially the carrier cream for medication. Applying it whenever the itching gets too unbearable. Replacing scratching in this way should help quite a lot. Keeping your head covered with a loose, open backed bandana or similar can help keep your fingers from getting at it too often and reduce damge from scratching.

I myself have a mild problem with this, the hairline is the worst but there are a few trouble spots on myscalp where it feals like there is something there that there isn't but I keep worrying at it now and again. this perpetuates it though. On my back there is an area that was badly affected by shingles where I frequently think there is something. To satisfy this I can often be seen thumping myself on the back.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

How funny is it that you are promoting "snake oil"?

lots of lush products have weird names. it is actually a vegan product!

Hehehe. I more-so meant that 'snake oil' is the term for products that are a lot of hype and no benefit.
    "Snake oil salesman"