Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Friends of the Earth

Default Friends of the Earth

Hi all,

FoE have a last started talking seriously to their membership about eating meat and dairy.

FoE have a massive media presents compares with any of the UK veggie organisations. It is essential we use that powerful voice.

There's more here:

"This is most important thing you can do for veganism":

http://www.activeg.org/news/1705.html

Default Re: Friends of the Earth - now is the time to join

Hi, Stevie!
    I just completed the survey without being a member, clicked 'Done' and they thanked me for completing the survey.

me 2

"Join FoE. If you can't afford it then drop your subscription to one of your veggie organisations". That's a bit harsh isn't it?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

vegankiss

I went to one local FoE meeting a couple of years ago and was not impressed. They were mostly flesh-eaters and were only concerned about riding bikes, energy saving bulbs and recycling (all important, of course, and things I do), but would not even entertain the idea of vegetarianism, let alone veganism!

I'm a big supporter of green issues, but mainstream 'green' lobby groups are worthless as the two main parties have ripped off all their ideas anyway, so they're not going to get anywhere. The only effective groups, IMHO, are those that take action... Greenpeace and others less well known.

Lisa x

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    me 2

"Join FoE. If you can't afford it then drop your subscription to one of your veggie organisations". That's a bit harsh isn't it?
    Sure - it sounds like an organization I'd rather boycott than join.

cobweb

^ agreed!

Quote vegankiss View Post
    I went to one local FoE meeting a couple of years ago and was not impressed. They were mostly flesh-eaters and were only concerned about riding bikes, energy saving bulbs and recycling (all important, of course, and things I do), but would not even entertain the idea of vegetarianism, let alone veganism!
    Not FoE, but this has been my experience of environmental groups - e.g. fixated only on extremely easy things to change. It's great that such groups exist and no doubt have a big impact on helping others do so, however I just found it all a bit too namby pamby hypocritical coffee morning for my liking.

cobweb

^ agreed!

as it's been proven that the single most important lifestyle a person can make is to go vegan, then i would rather keep on with my support of vegan groups fighting for change rather than joining in a pat on the back session for using a goddam low-energy light bulb.

I can´t trust or endorse those environmental organizations that don´t discourage meat&fish consumption.If such groups preach about saving endangered species and caring about trees and forests while their members gobble endless chops and shrimp salads , their credibility is nil to me. They may care a hoot about the value of non human animals, but they betray their principles by choosing an unsustainable diet that runs counter to the basics of ecology. They should be told how many litres of water have been spent on the steak they regularly eat, apart from the methane, pollution, waste of grain stuff.
    Sorry but I find their stance incoherent

Sounds like some Greenpeace meetings that I went to. I don't support them anymore.

Just want to point out that its not FoE who said that, its the website http://www.activeg.org who wrote the article. Now that FoE have spoken out about the environmental impact of an animal based diet I think we should give them our support.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

I just had a look over the Friends of The Earth (Canada) website, and I can't see anywhere, where they're advocating a vegetarian or vegan diet

Quote Roxy View Post
    I just had a look over the Friends of The Earth (Canada) website, and I can't see anywhere, where they're advocating a vegetarian or vegan diet
    You're right, neither can I - not on the U.S. site, either.
    I then had a look on the UK website, which enables you to do a search, unlike Canada or U.S. websites. Entering the word "vegan" gave 17 results, the most relevant being the resolution to the 2007 conference.

I'm a big supporter of green issues, but mainstream 'green' lobby groups are worthless as the two main parties have ripped off all their ideas anyway, so they're not going to get anywhere. The only effective groups, IMHO, are those that take action... Greenpeace and others less well known.
    Lisa x
    I had the same experience when I did voluntary work for the Wilderness Society - it was completely offputting at lunch time when they tucked in to their meat pies.
    I just accessed the Australian (Melbourne) FOE, and with all their advice on saving the planet, food is not mentioned once. So I sent them an email pointing out that the UN's FAO recently reported that the meat industry has a far greater footprint than all the cars, planes, trains, trucks etc in the world, and asked whether the FOE promotes vegetarianism or veganism.
    Eve

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Just want to point out that its not FoE who said that, its the website http://www.activeg.org who wrote the article.
    Indeed, stevep to be more precise, who posted the link originally.

Indeed, stevep to be more precise, who posted the link originally.

This is true - it was me!

I knew that statement would grab the attention, very naughty of me. But my motives are true.

Yes, FoE and Greenpeace have been next to useless up to now in even mentioning the veggie factor but the message is now getting through. Many have been trying to push these two giants in the environmental movement in our direction for a years, generally with little success - until now.

But why make the effort? Because they are giants. One press release on meat and the environment from FoE is worth a 1000 from any of the veggie organisation - sad but true. It not their fault, its just the way the media behaves.

I can't image any veggie dropping their membership of their fav organisation to join FoE but I hoped that that idea would give a sense of the importance of getting FoE on board.

And as report, it appears you can do the survey without membership - go for it.

Hi StevieP,

May I make a suggestion? It would be helpful to change the wording on your website to show that non-members can complete the survey too and just have to ignore the membership number question

Having just completed the survey, I feel that FoE are taking a very sincere look at their current/future stance. I appreciated the opportunity to put forward my views in the many boxes for further comments. It's great that FoE are listening to what we have to say.

I would really urge everyone to take this opportunity to influence their policies.

Quote Est View Post
    Hi StevieP,

May I make a suggestion? It would be helpful to change the wording on your website to show that non-members can complete the survey too and just have to ignore the membership number question

I've update the article in line with your suggestion - ta.

But I've also contacted FoE to find out if they are paying any attention to surveys without membership numbers. I'll post back when I know where they stand. My understanding is that the survey is only for members - you might just have found a bug in their survey.

Quote eve View Post
    I had the same experience when I did voluntary work for the Wilderness Society - it was completely offputting at lunch time when they tucked in to their meat pies.
    I just accessed the Australian (Melbourne) FOE, and with all their advice on saving the planet, food is not mentioned once. So I sent them an email pointing out that the UN's FAO recently reported that the meat industry has a far greater footprint than all the cars, planes, trains, trucks etc in the world, and asked whether the FOE promotes vegetarianism or veganism.
    Well done, eve! Let us know what their reply is. It's interesting the way their advice varies from country to country - I think it shows that they take notice of local opinions, so each person's actions can make a difference. It would mean that StevieP is right and perhaps we should all be making contact and perhaps even joining. I'll need to see if there is a local group where I am.

Quote StevieP View Post

Yes, FoE and Greenpeace have been next to useless up to now in even mentioning the veggie factor but the message is now getting through.
    I joined the Greenpeace Forum a few weeks ago, hoping for more advanced discussion on environmental issues, but I've been rather disappointed so far - this forum is in fact usually better!

However, there is a fair bit of discussion on diet, so I have stayed with it, occasionally being able to give encouragement to those interested in veganism.

Khashoggi

I've a meat-eating friend who's a member of a local environmental group, and she tells me that they're all flesh-eaters too -- apparently composting will have a bigger impact than cutting out meat.

Well I wouldn't join or support in any way, any of these so called environmental groups. It wasn't just the Wilderness Society that was offputting for me, but also FOE and even Greenpeace - I would no longer give any of them tuppence.

It's obvious that it is far better to support charities that do not support experimentation on animals. You can always check out humanecharities.org.au to see who are listed. Of course there are other groups such as MSF that are well worth supporting, that are in no way connected to animal care.
    Eve

FoE reply on non-members completing their meat survey:

Surveys completed without a supporter number will be seperated from those with a supporter number. It is the surveys from supporters that our Food team are most interested in analysing the results from.
    My little article: http://www.activeg.org/news/1705.html has been updated inline with this.

So, if you want to make a difference, become a member. In case you a re wondering, no I'm not a evangelist for FoE, in fact I've been moaning at them to get their act together for a long time. I've persisted because the potential gain for all is enormous.

treaclemine

Gosh darn it - I completed the survey, but without a supporter number as I'm a member of the local FoE not the EWNI one ...

Quote StevieP View Post
    It is the surveys from supporters that our Food team are most interested in analysing the results from.
    Presumably because they want to check they wouldn't lose income from donations if they dared suggest that their supporters might like to try eating less meat.

I posted on the FoE discussion board a couple of weeks ago because I was interested in finding out if the message was getting through to environmental types yet, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the quality of the responses (stuff about lions, blood types, etc.), so I hope their official bods do start spreading the message soon.

I just emailed FoE to say that if they did decide to take action regarding livestock farming and its environmental problems (i.e. mention them at all) then I would consider becoming a supporter, that it would be a very positive step in general and that they might get more support from vegetarians and vegans. Don't know if they actually care, but showing that they might gain supporters rather than losing them might help.

Quote derwenna View Post
    if they did decide to take action regarding livestock farming and its environmental problems (i.e. mention them at all) then I would consider becoming a supporter
    Good, everyone likes carrots.

Just had a response to my email:

Thank you for your email and your kind words of support.

We have very recently published a new briefing about the environmental impacts of livestock. Please see http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/briefings/hoofprints.pdf

Friends of the Earth believes that if there is to be a sustainable future, then the use of the environment must be aligned with real environmental capacities. This should be via the adoption of lifestyles and policies that reflect the state of the real world and enable us to move towards a more sustainable future.

As one of the sectors with the highest environmental impacts in terms of climate change, loss of biodiversity, resource use, pollution and environmental justice, livestock production urgently needs more attention. There is an urgent need to educate and activate the public on the effects of an increasingly intensive, mass production system worldwide. We will be running campaigns to help people and the government understand the effects of our UK consumption of livestock products like meat and dairy foods and how they can help to reduce that impact.

Rearing livestock uses a great deal of resources, and it is clear that feeding crops to meat is a highly inefficient method of food production, especially because rearing livestock is extremely energy intensive. It requires far greater resources including land, water and energy, to provide nutrition to humans through livestock products than by more plant based foods. We are already calling for meat to be produced in sustainable free-range systems (like organic farming) which use less energy and give animal welfare high priority, avoid genetically modified (GM) feed and prohibit the routine use of antibiotics.

The consumption of livestock is also a significant contributor to global warming. The recent report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation - ‘Livestock’s long Shadow’ confirmed the very significant impact of livestock production on Greenhouse Gas emissions – their research suggested that livestock is responsible for 18% of emissions globally. In Europe as well, meat and dairy products have considerable climate impacts and are responsible for over half of the emissions from the food chain. Therefore it is vital that our work in developing long-term, robust solutions for the food chain tackles the impact of the livestock system.

It is worth noting that one of Friends of the Earth's key areas of work on food has been on genetically modified food and feeds. We have been looking at the huge threats from GM soya grown in rainforest cleared areas in South America. This has given us valuable information and contacts on soya and agribusiness in general. We will now be working to tackle meat consumption through reducing unsustainable production of animal feeds as well as other meat products like beef. We are working with partners in the south to determine the best remedies which will ensure their livelihoods as well as reduced environmental damage.

We will be promoting policies which reduce the impact of our consumption – presenting policies which will help reduce an individual’s ecological footprint. This will include fiscal, regulatory, trade and other related measures such as traceability and labelling rules as well as support for more sustainable feeds and meat such as local and organic.

I hope that is helpful.

Fantastic work derwenna.

It seems the tide has turned.

Well done to all those who have been paddling against it. If we get FoE we will also get Greenpeace in turn. Keep up the support and pressure everyone.

Dream on!
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    Dream on!
    Surely you've watched enough Disney films to know that dreams can come true.

Seriously, we can't expect FoE to come out with a "Go vegan" message in the next 6 months, but if we can get them to say something like "here are our top tips for going green:

1. Reduce your meat and diary consumption
    2. Reduce your car use
    3. Reduce your plane use
    etc. "

it would be fab.

Its a gamble, yes, but the price of that bet is as little as sending a supportive email to FoE as derwenna did, and the reward may be a PR effect that none of the veggie organisations could dream of achieving.

We will now be working to tackle meat consumption through reducing unsustainable production of animal feeds as well as other meat products like beef. We are working with partners in the south to determine the best remedies which will ensure their livelihoods as well as reduced environmental damage.
    This sounds pretty vague, but when it comes from an organization with statements like "If you can't afford it then drop your subscription to one of your veggie organisations - the Vegan Society, the Vegetarian Society, Animal Aid... " - I'm all for a total boycott. Why do they specifically mention that you should drop your subscription of "of your veggie organisations"? Why not skip some other expenses or some other memberships?

In UK, the national average wage in 2005 was estimated at Ł22,000 (= circa US$ 44,000 as of March 2008). A membership in eg. The Vegan Society is Ł21 (youth membership is Ł7). Ł21 is 0.1% of what an average UK citizen makes in one year, so why not suggest that people should eat less junk food for a few days, stop wasting money on something else they don't need (like skip eating meat for a few days) or use their bicycles instead of their car for a week?

Quote Korn View Post
    This sounds pretty vague, but when it comes from an organization with statements like "If you can't afford it then drop your subscription to one of your veggie organisations - the Vegan Society, the Vegetarian Society, Animal Aid... " - I'm all for a total boycott. Why do they specifically mention that you should drop your subscription of "of your veggie organisations"? Why not skip some other expenses or some other memberships?
    Hi Korn,

Read back down the thread: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=16

OK, so the statement was yours, but if the members "were mostly flesh-eaters and [..] would not even entertain the idea of vegetarianism, let alone veganism!", this can't be the best way to promote veganism. Other, much stronger and larger organizations (like United Nations) are already focusing in reducing meat consumption... I'll let them do what they are good at, and rather spend my time promoting what's unique for vegans: promoting veganism. I'll rather do that directly than doing it through a group of flesh eaters...

There are thousands of ways of doing this without joining (or leaving) an(other) organized group, especially without joining a group of non-vegans. If you, like me don't think there's an pro-vegan organization that represents your viewpoints in a way you support, wouldn't it be better to start a new organization anyway, that having to join a group of people who disagree with you in something as basic as use of animal products?

Quote Korn View Post
    OK, so the statement was yours, but if the members "were mostly flesh-eaters and [..] would not even entertain the idea of vegetarianism, let alone veganism!"
    Surely, the issue is what is the most effective way of prompting veganism. It is not a matter of only supporting purely vegan organisations, it is a matter of where best to use our influence. Simple question, which is your preference:

1) A FoE that totally ignores the environmental effects of livestock (as they have done) with the massive implication to the general public that it is not an issue.
    2) Or A FoE that publicly says meat consumption is bad for the environment.

I can't really see the problem. If you discovered the Vegan Society etc was in talks with FoE would you stop backing them? - no, one would think it was great news. One need not go through a vegan organisation to push the vegan message.

The amount of time you've spent reply to this could have been spent sending a nice email to FoE .....

Quote Korn View Post
    There are thousands of ways of doing this without joining (or leaving) an(other) organized group, ...
    Don't get read too much into this, it was just an attention grabbing technique.

cobweb

^ possibly not the best attention-grabbing technique though!

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ possibly not the best attention-grabbing technique though!

Just wait and see what I do next!

cobweb

ok.......................

Quote eve View Post
    Dream on!
    Success!!!!

I've just opened FoE members magazine and from the strength of their survey they are taking up the issue of meat/diary and the environment. Details to follow next month.

Considering Earthmatters never mentions meat/environment issues, this month's has one page on the new policy, another on Soya led de-forestation and chickens, an interview with Micheal Pollan "Meating eating make a tremendous contribution to climate change .... ", the How can i stop climate change article mentions low carbon diets, and a letter on Animal Farms.

Well done all those we acted on this. Having FoE on board is a great asset.

So you think an article in the FOE mag equates with "success"?

Could be the article is the result of a UN report by FAO declaring that the animal industry has a far greater detrimental effect on the environment than the global transport industry combined, including cars, trains, planes, trucks, etc. It's amazing that this is the first time the FOE has seen fit to mention meat/environment issues.
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    So you think an article in the FOE mag equates with "success"?

Sorry it does not come up to your standards.

Yes, success, the aim was to get FoE to acknowledge the issue, which they have done so. What will follow is their strategy on how to sell the idea to the general public and we can influence that by encouragement and dropping them an email thanking them for taking up the issue.

Quote eve View Post
    Could be the article is the result of a UN report by FAO declaring that the animal industry has a far greater detrimental effect on the environment than the global transport industry combined, including cars, trains, planes, trucks, etc.
    Yes and no. No, in the respect that the only time they referenced that document was in this issue. That doc was released 18 months ago. But, also yes, in that every bit of research in this area would have been an influence on them, as is the opinions of their members, and, of course, the publication of that doc was fantastic evidence for those pushing this argument. I certainly pushed it in their face every time I corresponded with them.

It's amazing that this is the first time the FOE has seen fit to mention meat/environment issues.
    Yes, and it is great they are now and I hope they will, in time, renew your enthusiasm for such organizations.

It's so great you've got all these articles in the new mag, StevieP. I'm glad you stuck around to update us on your work through all the criticism. Though its a slow process, educating people on animal issues and veganism (and environment!) will always be worth the time and energy. And I'm so happy you put in the time and energy; I hope to see the results one day!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Thanks.

This is definitely good news.

I ditched my membership to FOE about 2 years ago after their Earthmatters article on Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall and one of his nauseating books about meat. In the same magazine they were encouraging readers to buy UK caught fish. It put me right off them and i let them know exactly why i was leaving them.

I get the odd letter now and then asking me to re-join, and everytime i reply to them saying that unless they've adopted a firm pro-veg*n stance i'm not interested.

Sounds like perhaps they're heading that way? Although i doubt they will promote veganism. More likely is that they'll promote "sustainable" animal agriculture, whatever the hell that is, and a reduction in our meat/dairy consumption. Better than nothing i guess, but still not good enough for a group that's meant to care about the planet and its inhabitants.

I would expect them to be cautious at first.

They, like all organisations, will want to maintain their current supporter base, and ensure that their overall message is not ignore for the sake of one issue.

They will need to educate about the issues before they can make any vegan proclamations. We will see ...

It will be interesting to see the change in the number of times these keywords appear on their site:

vegan: 15
    vegetarian: 22

at the moment. Give it 6 months.

BTW - it was only about 360 that filled in the survey and most of them had already reduced or removed meat from their diet - it shows how few people it can take to change things.

Quote StevieP View Post
    Yes, and it is great they are now and I hope they will, in time, renew your enthusiasm for such organizations.
    MY enthusiasm SteviewP? I think not. Why would I ever renew enthusiasm to support FOE when they are just talking about veg*anism.

You say that you'd expect them to be cautious at first - like all organisations, will want to maintain their current supporter base, and ensure that their overall message is not ignored for the sake of one issue.

One issue? If you mean intensive farming, I'd say that is THE issue.
    You also mention only about 360 filled in the survey and most of them had already reduced or removed meat from their diet - it shows how few people it can take to change things, and to give it 6 months. Are you suggesting that most of the 360 reduced/removed meat from their diet? Please pass the salt! ;:
    Eve

Default Re: Friends of the Earth

It's amazing that this is the first time the FOE has seen fit to mention meat/environment issues.
    It seems that you haven't read Eve's posts...

I agree that it's amazing - in a negative way. The link between meat consumption / use of animal products and environmental issues has been mentioned - and even discussed - even in mainstream media since the sixties /seventies. Why is it that an organization that is mainly is focusing on the environment need more time than others to use and promote this information?

Hey, i can believe that 360 people reduced the meat in their diet! You do, however, have to allow for the ones who go down to four times a week from every day, and of course the ones who don't consider chicken and fish to be meat and are eating that instead of beef. And the ones who eat extra dairy and eggs instead.

cobweb

i agree with your posts, eve, korn and lisey

i am frankly outraged that FoE and other such groups are only just discussing this issue -

and people who 'cut down on meat', hmm, that could mean just having one pork chop instead of two at dinner time (what a horrible thought).

Lisey_duck, I'm sure you are right about people not considering fish and chicken to be meat. The husband of a friend of mine had a heart attack and after his stay in the ICU, the doc suggested he cut out meat from his diet. After discussion there was a compromise that he ate meat only on 3 days a week. I later asked my friend how her husband was doing on meat 3 days a week, and she said it was no problem as she filled him up with chicken on the other 4 days!
    Eve