Thread: Wheat allergy symptoms

Default Wheat allergy symptoms

I am allergic to wheat, although I still eat it occasionally if there happen to be delicious, vegan cupcakes baked for a birthday. Recently, though, I haven't had any wheat except for spelt bread, which I found I am not allergic to, fortunately.
    However, I went to a friend's house tonite and she cooked pasta. She forgot that I was allergic to wheat (no big deal, really, it's not like I'll die and the meal was completely vegan) and I didn't want to be rude or upset her so I ate the pasta (which was very tasty).
    I immediately started sneezing and itching, and my nose started running.
    Now I have a headache and tummy trouble on top of it. These symptoms usually go away within 24 hours so I'll survive.
    Does anyone else have these kind of symptoms or does everyone else just have a severe allergic reaction? (like the kind I have to potatoes)

Default Re: Wheat allergy Symptoms

tummy problems seem to indicate it could be food allergy.
    for the nose, i don't know. i currently have the same symptoms you described, but in my case i also know i'm allergic to pollen and given the nice temperatures in my country lately, it's possible my rhinitis is back.

maybe consult a doctor and see what he/she has to say about it ?

another way of seeing if you are allergic to a food is to stand up and raise one arm to the side of the body at right angles. Have somebody press down on your arm .. you should return the pressure so that you arm stays in the same position.

Now, take a piece of the food you thing you might have a problem with and place it under your tongue for 10 seconds.

Then repeat the arm thing. If you are allergic, you will be unable to return the same pressure as your body will be spending it's energy coping with the reaction to the allergy.

THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL OR SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURE! DON'T try it with something you normally don't eat. Allergys can be very dangerous. This is just a bit of fun and MAY be an indication of allergy.

Celiac symptoms are typically pretty severe. It can be dangerous over prolonged periods because it interferes with absorption of minerals and vitamins in the small intestine.

Gluten intolerance symptoms are milder, more manageable, and harder to identify. The main symptoms are with digestive system - like bloating, diarrhea, gas, and pain. I haven't heard of the nose and sneezing problems but I suppose that could be related. The headache seems to be related to the food allergy/ intolerance. I think headaches are often caused by other foods as well, but this is obviously different for everyone.

I think there a few members on here that are gluten intolerant or celiac (pisces and witchy) that could help you with first hand experience.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Aradia, I tried the thing you described and it really worked! Bread under my tongue = no strength. I've been to a holistic doctor before who did the same thing by sticking a b12 vitamin under my tongue and it was crazy how much more strength I had with the vitamin under my tongue! I had fogotten all about that! Thanks!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Default Re: Wheat allergy Symptoms..help please

[quote=ellaminnowpea;430861]

Gluten intolerance symptoms are milder, more manageable, and harder to identify. The main symptoms are with digestive system - like bloating, diarrhea, gas, and pain.

.[/quote]

These symptoms described i can relate to after eating gluten foods. I went to the doctor yesterday and i'm going to have a blood test. Doctor said i still should eat some gluten for the test results to be qaccurate but test isn't until 2 weeks. Any ideas of what i can eat? At the moment all i eat is bread, pasta, pastry, cereals, veggie sausages and i'm feeling ill as a result.

Thanks

yum
    x

I'm allergic to wheat and peanuts. My throat and bronchial area start squeezing/swelling shut and with wheat, on top of the swelling, I get lumps in my throat. I can NOT cheat at all.

Quote yum View Post
    Doctor said i still should eat some gluten for the test results to be qaccurate but test isn't until 2 weeks. Any ideas of what i can eat? At the moment all i eat is bread, pasta, pastry, cereals, veggie sausages and i'm feeling ill as a result.

I think youll just have to keep eating gluten, even if it hurts. Otherwise, you'll never get accurate results. Any wheat grains, breads, etc will do fine. Gluten is the protein porton of grains, like the stretchy stuff, so breads will have a good amount of gluten. Sorry to hear about your symtoms, though!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

yup, you will have to continue eating gluten stuff. cereals and breads are the worst for me, especially the wholewheat stuff.

Quote yum View Post

These symptoms described i can relate to after eating gluten foods. I went to the doctor yesterday and i'm going to have a blood test. Doctor said i still should eat some gluten for the test results to be qaccurate but test isn't until 2 weeks. Any ideas of what i can eat? At the moment all i eat is bread, pasta, pastry, cereals, veggie sausages and i'm feeling ill as a result.

Thanks

yum
    x

Definitely check with your doctor about how much gluten you need in your diet for a reaction to be detected by the tests. You probably don't have to make yourself completely miserable by eating almost exclusively foods you know will trigger a response. Maybe mix in some meals that are completely digestible and only eat wheat products once a day or limit the quantities in your servings throughout the day. Your body chemistry should be off kilter enough to show up in the tests, but you won't have to spend the next 2 weeks on vacation in the bathroom.

Quote Aradia View Post
    THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL OR SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURE!

You're right. Although highly cool and probably pretty accurate, the arm thing is not a medical nor a scientific procedure. Blood tests, however, are and that was the post referenced. Take care Mr. Flibble.

The arm thing doesn't work when used as part of a powered randomised controlled test unfortunatly. the reaction is most likely a placebo

Quote Aradia View Post
    another way of seeing if you are allergic to a food is to stand up and raise one arm to the side of the body at right angles. Have somebody press down on your arm .. you should return the pressure so that you arm stays in the same position.

Now, take a piece of the food you thing you might have a problem with and place it under your tongue for 10 seconds.

Then repeat the arm thing. If you are allergic, you will be unable to return the same pressure as your body will be spending it's energy coping with the reaction to the allergy.

THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL OR SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURE! DON'T try it with something you normally don't eat. Allergys can be very dangerous. This is just a bit of fun and MAY be an indication of allergy.
    Glad you added that little caveat at the end. There's loads of bogus allergy tests out there preying on people who feel unwell. Take a look at this link for an overview of the most common. The one described is the there. They call it applied kineisiology to give it a scientific ring -

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...ergytests.html

Default Re: Wheat allergy symptoms

I came up as allergic to wheat/grains when I got tested recently which I expected because I used to get the worst stabbing pains when I was younger. I usually avoud gluten/wheat but every now and then I will eat it, like you said esp. if it's a vegan potluck!

I noticed my hay fever was worse the day or day after I ate something containing gluten but usually it's just sore tummy and headaches.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Zero

Default Re: Wheat allergy symptoms

I have spent the last 4 days wheat free and my skin already looks and feels better, I do feel a little better, but not 100% because I have been overeating the last few days.

Up until now I have been eating low amounts of wheat in my diet and this doesn't really affect me, however I seem to go off the deep end and have a "wheat binge" (not gorging myself, but just basically eating a lot of whaet based products) every so often and then I look and feel like crap for a while so I am making a more concious effort to stay away from it.

I have read a few articles that talk about wheat being addictive and from my experiences with trying to cut it out or down it seems that way, that is likely why I've been overeating, because I am looking for something in my food that hasn't been there.

Haven't found anything that gets into a real scientific analysis but here are some articles:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...iving_the.html

http://www.adhoc-web.co.uk/SAC/mp-food_addiction.html