Thread: Vegans in Luton?

littlemiss

Default Vegans in Luton?

Hello, I'm moving to Luton in a week, I used to live there 7years ago but was pescatarian then. Any advise on places to eat or shop? Also where can I buy veg cheap? I'll be right in the town centre so I can get to most places.
    Or do you just travel in to London to eat out like we're used to?
    Thanx!

animaladvocate

Default Re: Vegans in Luton?

Quote littlemiss View Post
    Hello, I'm moving to Luton in a week, I used to live there 7years ago but was pescatarian then. Any advise on places to eat or shop? Also where can I buy veg cheap? I'll be right in the town centre so I can get to most places.
    Or do you just travel in to London to eat out like we're used to?
    Thanx!
    The brilliant Emzy is a Luton lass!
    *wishes I could live in Luton so I could have Emzy as a housemate/neighbour*

Hey Littlemiss! I live in Luton Town Centre. We should hook up when you come down. It's not great for vegans but there are a few places in town and on the outskirts. PM me if you are interested and we can exchange numbers etc. I am the only other person on the forum from Luton btw.

Oh and AnimalAdvocate - You just wanna live next door?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

littlemiss

Hello, Thanx for reply, Sorry for the delay, Moving house and doing goodbye dinners...Which I have to cook because being invited out is near impossible
    Hope this doesn't sound offensive but I'm not into meet ups. My schedule is pretty packed most the time too. Thanx for the offer though, Its realy generous of you!
    At least you have another vegan to share luton with. There must be others lurking around?
    I did have lunch in a bar there last year, Opposite the walk in clinic and sent them info on vegan catering but I doubt it made a difference. The meal they did was passable.
    Oh well, Its chesseless dominoes pizza on movingday, Should keep my omni friends happy!
    Thanx again for the reply.

No probs littlemiss! I eat in a place called the park alot. They do falafel and a veggie burger that is vegan.

Screw dominoes...they are rubbish! It's all about papa johns in Luton.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

littlemiss

All moved in and back on line! I think I remember the park from before, thats good to know, I love fallafel.
    I'm glad the Adsa here stocks tofu, they stopped doing it at my last one. Hopefully I can find all the ingredients I'm used to!

littlemiss

Oh and I spotted the vegan mag in the main library, that must mean there are others!!!?

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    It's all about papa johns in Luton.
    Ooo, there is one near here - do you know if all their bases are vegan? (I read that the thin crust contained milk but was from several years back.)
    Is it the same everywhere or do branches differ?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Tescos in Dunstable is where I shop because it has more vegan stuff although the ASDA is pretty good too. They have all sorts of stuff in asda....sometimes vegi deli stuff and it is always on offer. The H&B in the arndale is very good as well. There are also several chinese take aways that have a very good vegan selection. Also if you are in Luton now you gotta get ur arse up to veggieworld in Bletchly (up the A5 past dunstable!!!)

Marrers - As for papa johns it is only the medium-extra large normal curst pizza bases that are vegan as they make them on sight. All small, thin of deep pan pizzas are cooked from frozen and contain milk and eggs. The potatoe wedges also contain milk...very strange but true. Believe it or not though the garlic sauce which looks and smells like butter...is also vegan. I know this shit because I worked there as a third job not so long ago. All the things I just said are PJ standard.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Tescos in Dunstable is where I shop
    i have a friend who lives in one of the houses in luton rd just opp that tesco!

Quote cedarblue View Post
    i have a friend who lives in one of the houses in luton rd just opp that tesco!
    You need to come to my house for a cuppa on the way back then hehe

littlemiss

Yes I noticed the Asda free from section was smaller than I'm used to. Popped into H&B today, nice reassuring place. Spotted green and blacks cereal bars but they put honey in them!! Stupid G&B's. I have heard of this veggieworld so I will obey your command just to be polite and try that sometime. What chinese places do you recommend? What noodles do they do instead? I didnt get a choice i my last place.
    I discovered asda do a vegan society approved clothes conditioner which is great, I dont have a washing machine so doing handwashing right now. Have been using eco balls for over a year so havn't bought conditioner. Things are changing.
    Hope you are all having a nice day. My husband wanted to go raw food untill I pointed out his chocolate is not raw, chocolate is his weakness!

They do naked bars in H&B which come in choclate flavour and are raw

I use China cottage as they do tofu on skewers with satay sauce and shit like that. But really please go to veggie world. It is the best vegan food I have EVER eaten including my recent vegan trips to Brighton and Liverpool. It is just soooo good. Some places will do rice noodles for you if you ask...but I'm not a fan of noodles so dont have them that often.

Hmm I never knew that the conditioner was vegan. I'm still using up my bulk ecover supplies I have from when they were on offer like 9 months ago and still vegan.

Quote littlemiss View Post
    My husband wanted to go raw food untill I pointed out his chocolate is not raw, chocolate is his weakness!
    google online to the rawchocolate shop - i ordered some choc from there last week for easter!! he will love it

littlemiss

Apparently the hellenic greek taverna on guildford street/rd have a dish thats vegan. I was planing on going last night so rang them up. Its the stuffed vegetables, Yemista but i'd double check before going!
    I will slowly build a small list of places to eat out, but I remembered how crazy greek places get and decided not the night out I was ready for!

Thanks for that littlemiss! If you find any good places to eat in Luton let me know, because other than The Park I just stay in and eat normally.

Littlemiss and any other vegans who are browsing this forum - there is now a pure vegetarian indian shop right in the town centre.

Haven't had a chance to go there yet because it was closed this morning as I walked past.

THAT IS THE BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD IN AGES!!!!!

I hate to drag open an old thread on my first post but I googled vegans in Luton and this thread came up!

Couldn't resist posting as I have yet to meet a vegan in my home town, and I really think we should start up a local group that will generate some business that will cater for vegans!

Anyone from the area up for this?

Quote a_luton_vegan View Post
    I hate to drag open an old thread on my first post but I googled vegans in Luton and this thread came up!

Couldn't resist posting as I have yet to meet a vegan in my home town, and I really think we should start up a local group that will generate some business that will cater for vegans!

Anyone from the area up for this?
    Hey Luton Vegan!

There are a few of us here and there. Feel free to add me on Facebook and I'll add you to our meetup groups. You never know, you might already know me. :P (Emzy Mouche)

Hey! Thanks for replying. Must admit i'm shocked to get a reply considering its been four years sine the last post on this thread!

Anyway, unfortunately I don't 'do' facebook which kinda makes it difficult for me to add you. I think I have a fake account somewhere, but I'm not a fan of social networking. However, could you PM me about meeting up would be so cool to meet like minded people in the local area!

Would love a veggie-world or loving hut equiv in Luton!!! There is a distinct lack of that kind of thing in Luton. I have started to go to the humous bar in the Arndale between marks and spencer and debenhams...the falafel wrap with carefully selected salad and sauce is vegan :-D.