Thread: Need a mega-special cake recipe

Default Need a mega-special cake recipe

Does anybody have a really lush, over-the-top cake recipe to share please? Preferably with a photo.

I want to make my husband something really nice for our anniversary. He's such a cake-head it not true!

I'm thinking three layers (maybe different flavours) and some elaborate icing/decoration.

Somebody posted one on VF months and months ago which had strawberries on it and white chocolate drizzled over that top .... if that was you please put your hand up

JC

Default Re: Need a mega-special cake recipe

here's the recipe i would use:
    1. go on www.bluelotusproducts.co.uk
    2. choose the banana, coconut and lime cake
    3. pay for it and arrange for it to be delivered

jobs a good'un!

lol, sorry, i'm awful at baking, it's the best i can come up with

i think various people made the chocolate and strawberry cake, including me, but somebody made an extra pretty decorative chocolate icing with white choc...unfortunately i couldn't get hold of that, so mine was a bit plain. but very nice!
    the recipe was posted in this thread: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...colate+truffle
    Piggy

JC that website is amazing! I'm going to get my next birthday cake from them for sure - they're bookmarked in my favourites

Piggy - the recipe link in the thread doesn't work and it looks scrumptious in all the photos. Can you remember the recipe/did you write it down anywhere?

JC

I know! I really do recommend the banana, coconut and lime cake. I had it for my 18th, it was sooooo good - even my omni family loved it (which was actually a bad thing because it meant i couldn't eat it all to myself )

Quote Est View Post
    JC that website is amazing! I'm going to get my next birthday cake from them for sure - they're bookmarked in my favourites

Piggy - the recipe link in the thread doesn't work and it looks scrumptious in all the photos. Can you remember the recipe/did you write it down anywhere?
    In case no-one wrote it down, the raspberry blackout cake from VWAV is very similar - the choc truffle cake didn't have any preserves in it, and the ganache was just soya cream and plain chocolate - if you search the web there are MANY rave reviews for the raspberry blackout cake so it should be an acceptable alternative!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Woah that truffle cake has to be made this week.

To buy:

Sugar
    Chocolate
    extra large trousers

For the truffle cake recipe try this link
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Thanks Poison Ivy! Might try both

It looks like you already recieved some pretty impressive suggestions, but I thought I'd give you another one as I recently made this for my birthday and my whole family was hovering over it since it popped out of the oven.

Rich Chocolate Cake: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=124 Surprisingly, all the ingredients are dirt cheap besides the pure maple syrup. Like the title implies, the cake is rich and smooth and oh, so chocolatey!

For decorating I suggest icing your cake with a glaze. Unlike icing, it smooths on like a velvety mound of warm heaven and you will not end up getting little crummies in your presentation! After you place the cake in the fridge, the glaze will harden and you'll have a chocolate covered chocolate cake!!

Chocolate Glaze
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    3 tablespoons margarine
    1 tablespoon corn syrup
    1/4 teapsoon vanilla extract

Melt all the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat besides the vanilla until the mixture is smooth and sexy! Add the vanilla and let your glaze groove.

Dump the warm glaze on top of the cake and spread from the middle down. Don't worry when a massive avalanche of glaze rolls down. Just scoop it up and smooth it back on!

Before I did this, I added canned cherry pie filling into the middle. After I let the glaze harden in the fridge, I made an icing mixture of icing sugar, a little bittie bit of vanilla, and beat until it created a hard white past. Then I added some margarine to soften the mixture up and continued this until I had perfect icing.

I put this in a bag and cut the corner off and squeezed a circle out around the top of the cake and then filled the circle in with more cherries! In all honesty, it looked amazing and it tasted even better!! The contrast between the white, dark, and vivid cherries was very appealing and you'd never, ever, in a million years guess it was vegan.

I took a picture, but it's on my cellie! But I just looked at the truffle cake and it looked identicle to that, so do what ever your three times to big heart desires!

Happy caking!!!

Aradia, no matter what you make it always looks fabulous and I'm sure this cake (whichever one you choose) will be no exception Be sure to post a photo of the finished product!

Thank you for the posts you lovely bunch.

(Is it wrong to get aroused looking at cakes???!!!! )

oh god definitely not, aradia! I'm sure something...moves...wheneve I'm browsing food.

I definitely felt something when I want looking at this last night!

how do you guys get your cakes to rise? i made the raspberry blackout cake for valentine's and the recipie is supposed to make two cakes to sandwich, but mine was definately only enough for one little cake. they never rise up very big when i make 'em.

wonder if i'm cooking them wrong or something??

amanda

i always use some baking powder (a small bag of 11g, about 2 teaspoons), even when the recipe doesn't mention it. i also use some cornflour mixed with the basic wheat flour we use for cakes (makes the cake moist). that works well, except for the cakes requiring some whipped egg-whites. they remain desperately flat

I've never had a problem... especially with cake recipes that require vinegar.

i obviously just suck *l* my cakes only ever come out about and inch and a half thick.

amanda

use more mix

*l* well, yes i have thought of this, but if it doesn't happen to anyone else, why me???? *l* this never happened to me with non-vegan cakes, so i can't help thinking there's a knack to egg-less cooking that i've yet to master.

amanda

This is a lovely cake, from Ronny's Cake Scoffer booklet.

Black Forest Cherry Gateau

This cake is very special, but even without all the extras it makes a great chocolate sponge.

6 oz plain flour
    6 oz sugar
    2 oz cocoa powder
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    half a teaspoon of salt
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    1 tbsp vegan cider vinegar
    4 floz vegetable oil
    8 floz water

For filling:
    1 tin black cherry pie filling
    Optional small quantity of kirsh, cherry brandy or cointreau
    Creamy topping:
    2 tbsp cornflour
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    5 floz sweetened soya milk
    2 oz vegan marg

1.) Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add wet ingredients and stir together until mixed.

2.) Pour into a greased 8 inch cake tin and bake at gas 6 / 200 C for 35-40 mins. (or split between 2 cake tins)

3.) While the cake is cooking, make the creamy topping (or it could be made first). In a saucepan mix the cornflour with the soya milk and vanilla essence. Bring to the boil stirring constantly. Cool. Beat the marg into the mixture with an electric mixer or a fork.

4.) Turn the cooled cake out onto a plate. If just one cake, slice in half . Splash the alcohol on the bottom layer, then spread with the cherry pie filling.

5.) Spread the creamy topping on top of the cherry filling and sandwich the cake together. Decorate the top with a sprinkle of icing sugar or drizzled melted chocolate.

by Ronny

I love frosting so when I make it I do a chocolate fudge topping and put some cherries on the top.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    In case no-one wrote it down, the raspberry blackout cake from VWAV is very similar - the choc truffle cake didn't have any preserves in it, and the ganache was just soya cream and plain chocolate - if you search the web there are MANY rave reviews for the raspberry blackout cake so it should be an acceptable alternative!
    Have to agree, this is the bast cake i have made and always turns out well. I usually make this cake for birthdays. The carrot cake in vegan with a vengeance is also wonderful and very rich and moist.