Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could live anywhere in the USA, where would you live?

Default Re: If you could live ANYWHERE in the USA, where would you live?

Add another vote for San Francisco!

I'm really thinking about moving to Salem, Orgeon after school, now. I've passed through it before, and loved it. Turns out, housing prices are just barely more than they are here, and there are LOTS of tiny houses (600-900 sq. ft.) with huge yards (for gardens!). Plus, only an hour from Portland, with mild weather for being so far north. Seems perfect for us.

Ohhh Salem, Oregon seems like a really nice place!! I live in Michigan right now and I too am waiting to get out of school so I can move! I've always wanted to move somewhere with nice mild weather and somewhere with a lot of land. My dream is to have a farm and adopt abused farm animals. (Farm sanctuary lets you do this!) I think it would be such a good feeling to help the animals live the rest of their lives in peace.

the moon

Quote Klutz View Post
    Linus, if the sn*w can be measured by something thicker than a single strand of hair, it is much too much.
    I just don’t understand that! To me there is so much of worth in the wintertime. There is the magic of an individual snowflake gently floating to the ground, the beauty of an icicle or a frozen waterfall and the power of an almighty blizzard. Then there are the joys of leaving footprints in the virgin snow or of building a snowman.

Can you agree with me that variety is the spice of life? When Alexander Solzhenitsyn took exile in the USA he could have lived in Florida or California or Hawaii but instead chose Vermont because he insisted that his soul needed all the four seasons of the year.

In the 1980s my family and I had a magnificent holiday in New England. Even that long ago we were able to dine on giant veggie burgers, vegan cheese and vegan ice-cream in a restaurant.

So, if you are an unrepentant townie I would recommend Plymouth NH. If you would prefer a rural idyll then I would suggest a plot out of town where you could tap your own maple trees, grow your own corn and squashes, be astounded by the leaves in the fall and ski or skidoo in the winter.

To me that all sounds almost as heavenly as the North Yorkshire Moors.
    I may be ancient but I’m active, a bit like a volcano.

Default Re: If you could live anywhere in the USA, where would you live?

I love wear I live right now and I hope I never have to move. I live next to most of my family but tucked away in the little mountains that surround the city I grew up in. It is an adorable little beach town that has a really rich history.

I am also not a big fan of snow, its very cold, I like looking at it and then leaving...perhaps playing in it for a bit....

I am very blessed because it typically never gets below 50 degress Farienheit on its coldest days and rarely above 80 degress though I don't really like it that hot. Not to mention within the span of 2 hours I can go visit the nice sandy beach and up to the snow in the mountains. Not to mention you can visit several creeks and lakes. Its perfect.

The only draw back is house prices if you want to buy a house around here you will easily be spending anywhere from 500,000 to a million. oh well one day.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

cyril,

Here is what I have against snow:

1. It is cold. Snow is always cold. I hate cold. Therefore, I hate snow.

2. Snow turns to muddy slush. Muddy slush takes forever to disappear, but snow turns to muddy slush very quickly.

3. People drive like idiots in the snow. So, (in my logic) snow is dangerous.

4. Snow sometimes covers ice, so if an unsuspecting person thought she merely had to wade through snow to get to her car, she might end up slipping on the invisible ice beneath the traitorous snow and falling on her butt. Again, (my logic, work with me here) this makes snow dangerous.

5. Snow means that summer is truly over. Same with fall. Summer and fall are warmer than winter and cold is bad. Cold is very very very bad. Therefore, snow is bad. Very, very VERY bad.

I could go on, but I'd likely sound even more ridiculous. Basically, I cannot withstand being cold, so I hate winter and hate snow. If I do not have to go out in it and can view it safely from a window while sitting in a toasty warm house, then it's not so bad. But, I always end up having to go to work, buy food, walk the dog, etc. and then *shudder* I'm in the snow. BLECH~ I know that a lot of people like snow and think it's beautiful. My guess is that they either do not get cold easily or enjoy being cold. I enjoy being hot. I think that anything below 80 degrees is cool. I prefer about 95. If there is low humidity, I'm quite happy in above 100 degree weather.

There is a possibility that I might be part reptile. I realize and accept this.

Good sperm

Quote John View Post
    I've never been to the UK but from what I've seen Europe has a serious problem with neo-nazism and ultra-nationalism. Add to that Muslim unrest and failure to assimilate, as well as commonplace anti-immigrant attacks throughout Europe and it makes you wonder why people think that the USA is any worse than the rest of the world.

PS: I'm not angry or trying to start a debate. Just a little rebuttal (my point of view).
    'From what you've seen' - where? A Fox News Special "WHEN YURRUP ATTACKS!"?

Your judgement of Europe and the UK is about as realistic as me saying that the US is full of toothless red-neck KKK members who intermarry and live off roadkill.

AMF you make me giggle!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Mahk

People who want to discuss why a country/continent they aren't in is racist/evil/worthy of hatred etc, which started with this one, should start their own thread, just as Seitan had suggested in that post. I'm pretty sure it's off topic from what Klutz intended.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    'From what you've seen' - where? A Fox News Special "WHEN YURRUP ATTACKS!"?

Your judgement of Europe and the UK is about as realistic as me saying that the US is full of toothless red-neck KKK members who intermarry and live off roadkill.
    I agree with AbsentMindedFan Europe and the UK are nothing like that the whole thing makes me giggle!
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Quote Klutz View Post
    Houston sounds warm. Off to research that.
    Houston isn't warm, it is unbearably hot, and pretty much always humid/muggy/clamy. If you enjoy breaking a sweat just by walking out your front door, then you may like Houston.

I currently live just a little north of Houston, and I can say from experience that it is a horrible place to live.

Heh, TX is really hot and the humidity makes it worse. But it seems ideal for Klutz, she said she likies 90 degree weather and doesn't mind humidity... Plus the "no snow" rule has narrowed it down to CA/ WA/ OR or hot/ humid states.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Heh, TX is really hot and the humidity makes it worse. But it seems ideal for Klutz, she said she likies 90 degree weather and doesn't mind humidity... Plus the "no snow" rule has narrowed it down to CA/ WA/ OR or hot/ humid states.
    Exactly! I can't stand it in Texas. I plan on getting out as soon as possible. Moving back to Michigan in Nov. (Grand Rapids).

Laguna Beach, CA.

it's changed alot. People with more money than character building their dream-homes and driving the price of 900sq ft shacks over a million.
    Still, it was always veg*n friendly and arty and has the best beaches east of Hawaii. Winter can be wet and chilly: I actually could see my breath!
    When that happens hie thee over the mountains to the Mohave.
    Phish Taco with salsaverde, anyone?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    I agree with AbsentMindedFan Europe and the UK are nothing like that the whole thing makes me giggle!
    I'm talking about things I've seen with my eyes directly (in Europe), and read about, and events recounted to me by others. I like a lot of things about Europe--if I had lots of money I'd be in Paris this spring--but its certainly got it's own problems.

But anyway, I shan't disuss it any further.

I have to say New Jersey has got to get my vote at the moment--believe it or not. I cant think of anywhere I'd want to go in these here United States. I like New York but I'm not going to pay a fortune to live in a closet surrounded by people from Ohio. California must be nice. Do they have any cities that are compact and not totally automobile-dependant--and affordable? I like European-type cities.

Quote Klutz View Post
    cyril,

Here is what I have against snow:

1. It is cold. Snow is always cold. I hate cold. Therefore, I hate snow.

2. Snow turns to muddy slush. Muddy slush takes forever to disappear, but snow turns to muddy slush very quickly.

3. People drive like idiots in the snow. So, (in my logic) snow is dangerous.

4. Snow sometimes covers ice, so if an unsuspecting person thought she merely had to wade through snow to get to her car, she might end up slipping on the invisible ice beneath the traitorous snow and falling on her butt. Again, (my logic, work with me here) this makes snow dangerous.

5. Snow means that summer is truly over. Same with fall. Summer and fall are warmer than winter and cold is bad. Cold is very very very bad. Therefore, snow is bad. Very, very VERY bad.

I
    I'm with you all the way sister! I hate the snow too

I like New York but I'm not going to pay a fortune to live in a closet surrounded by people from Ohio.
    Sometimes you say the funniest stuff John I don't know why but that really made me giggle

Quote John View Post
    California must be nice. Do they have any cities that are compact and not totally automobile-dependant--and affordable?
    ...no....even in LA its best to have a car...it sucks. Actually I take that back, SF if you stay around the bay area has the best public transportation. Not to mention its just a cool city. but I am a country girl at heart and would rather be in the boondocks.

Oooo you just reminded me of my SF holiday in September!

Mahk

Quote Christoph83 View Post
    America's Best Veg-Friendly Large Cities
    Thanks Christoph83, that post took a lot of work to create by providing instant links to all those cities. Much appreciated for all your kind work and effort.

Good sperm

Quote John View Post
    I'm talking about things I've seen with my eyes directly (in Europe), and read about, and events recounted to me by others.
    Well the obviously as a visitor you must know waaaay more about the place than those of us who live there.

Quote John
    I like a lot of things about Europe--if I had lots of money I'd be in Paris this spring--but its certainly got it's own problems.
    No shit, just like everywhere else in the world.

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    I'm hoping to move to Portland someday.
    Quote Heartsease View Post
    Useful website for people who prefer not to fly for whatever reason:

http://www.seat61.com/
    Quote Paranoid Jandroid View Post
    I'd totally live in Portland OR. That place is awesome. Amazing food, good bands, AMAZING coffee.

Haven't been that many other places but we did a 6 week tour last year and Portkland and NY were def my fav spots. So much good food!

The Oregan coast is beautiful too.
    i don't really know about the u.s apart from what i read and see on tv but i'd love to visit oregon too! based on nothing really - it just seems a good place.

heartsease, that seat.61 is a great site - i'm enjoying reading through it!

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Well the obviously as a visitor you must know waaaay more about the place than those of us who live there.

No shit, just like everywhere else in the world.
    Chill out. He was just talking about some experiences with problems in one country, in response to seitan's post about his experiences of problems in another. No one's trying to say "my country's better than your's" or "X country has all the problems."

I don't think anyone was judging. Everyplace has it's problems. He was giving his point of view, which I'm glad of because frankly I think people blow racial problems in the US out of proportion, and frankly I think every nation has problems with nationalism. THIS WAS A NON-THREATENING REBUTTAL, NOT AN ARGUEMENT, since seitan's post was anecdotal and not intended as a general description. Neither, therefore, was John's.

Everyone has different experiences everywhere in the world. Can we just get back to the subject matter of nice places to live in the US.

I don't think anyone was judging. Everyplace has it's problems. He was giving his point of view, which I'm glad of because frankly I think people blow racial problems in the US out of proportion, and frankly I think every nation has problems with nationalism. THIS WAS A NON-THREATENING REBUTTAL, NOT AN ARGUEMENT, since seitan's post was anecdotal and not intended as a general description. Neither, therefore, was John's.
    Agreed, and nicely put.

Burlington, Vermont.

Quote Klutz View Post
    I'm very big on sunshine and blue skies...
    Have you ever been to Santa Fe, New Mexico? It is my very favorite place on earth....very progressive and vegan/vegetarian friendly! It's such a uniqiue blending of cultures and rich with history and art. It's simplly magical for me.

Quote E.F. View Post
    Only people who don't live in CA, call California 'Cali"...drives me absolutely nuts...
    I call it cali.

Where I am right now, even if I have to stay in this studio apartment in this seedy neighborhood for the rest of my life. Ah, the feeling of contentment.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

That's really cool Mila. Why do you like it so much?

Smile Re: If you could live anywhere in the USA, where would you live?

Well: *deep breath*
    • There's a lack of the large numbers of chain stores and restaurants you see in most places.
    • Lots of local fare - Several Mexican restaurants have tofu as a meat type, and lots of automatically vegan foods. Not to mention the (relatively) large number of vegan and vegetarian restaurants.
    • Small, locally owned stores are successful. Rasputin Music, Stacey's Books, Ike's Place, Rainbow Grocery, Out of the Closet, etc are every bit as well-known among townies as Borders, Best Buy, Safeway, and Goodwill.
    • The weather is mild. It's 49° right now, but I have a window open. Air conditioning is really unnecessary (unlike where I grew up where you'd get heat stroke if you didn't have it!).
    • Our community college, City College of San Francisco, is a fine school which only charges $20/unit and top schools like UC Berkeley and UC Stanford accept transfer students from it. The college even has a brand new "fitness center" which for a total of $100/year, you have a GYM that is hardly ever crowded and ANYBODY can use it if you sign up for the class!
    • People are more likely to be open to people with different points of view. I walk around with my "MEAT is MURDER" button and other like slogans on my backpack without challenge - something which happens frequently when I stray far from the city.
    • The public transportation is amazing! The BART train is faster than driving, MUNI covers nearly every square acre of the city, and all that on $45/month (Much cheaper than gas!). Owning and driving a car here is an inconvenience - a big plus in my mind.
    • Lots to do! (ICE SKATING! Nuff said! )
    • Rich history, fully stocked libraries, health- and socially conscious residents, lowest car-to-adult rates in the state (0.6), goods in many languages and cultures (Japan Town!), and it's just SO beautiful here.
    Of course, there's the two main drawbacks: the high cost of living and large homelessness rate. The first can be explained by the fact that everybody wants to live here! Only 30% of city residents were born in California at all, myself being born elsewhere, too. But know what? You make more money here to offset that and you don't need a car. Living elsewhere, my husband and I both worked and barely eeked out a living, but here we're just as (un-?)well off on one income and me going to school. We moved here because we love this city; now that we've lived here, we never want to live anywhere else. How many people get to say that?

Mila, I absolutely love it there, too [grew up there!]... I miss it like hell. I'm tired of people saying "why would you want to live there?" Derrrr!! It's the best city ever. If you can avoid the politics and make enough money to live there, do it!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Personally, I also love the politics here. People here care about one another and are willing to put their money where their mouths are. Were it not for the big-heartedness of this city, I wouldn't be able to afford a particular medical device I have implanted and would be markedly worse off. I'd go into more detail what I like about San Francisco politics but this thread shouldn't be turned into a political one.

If you ever get the chance, try the aforementioned Ike's Place (on 16th between Market and Sanchez). It's a sandwich shop where a full 1/3 of the menu is vegan!! I had to force myself to stop going so often because I was gaining weight.

I would love to live in the Berkshires, New Hampshire, USA where they have real genuine Autumn, Winter, Winter Solstice, snow, cold, beautiful, vibrant jewel leaves and trees and flowers, where they speak clean, clearly, and are articulate and eloquent. i want to live in a place where they enjoy the cold and feel uncomfortable with and don't tolerate the heat and warmth because this is how I feel. I'm now an Autumn Winter person/girl/woman. I prefer to be cold and bundle up. Heat is oppressive and is very difficult and uncomfortable with my severe asthma. Oh, how I'd love to live in the Berkshires, New Hampshire, USA, up North, above the Mason-Dixon Line.
    From My Healthy Kitchen To Yours
    www.tastyvegankitchen.com

You're really making me look forward to my vacation in September Mila! You're so lucky to love where you live.

I'd love to live in San Francisco but if I'm going to spend that kind of money for rent I might as well move to New York.

A few years back I was actually considering moving to--or at least checking out--Vancouver (not in the USA) but I changed my mind.

Yeah, John, but I forgot to mention the weather. ^_~ No sub-freezing temperatures.

apparantly portland origin is the most vegan friendly place my friend has ever been...

Um ....Wyoming because it's full of green grass and mustangs. Please don't spoil my illusion/delusion.

Awww why haven't I got a picture I've been trying all night to add one?

Quote Janet View Post
    Awww why haven't I got a picture I've been trying all night to add one?
    Were you doing it in the right place? If you want a picture to appear by your posts you need to go here:

User Control Panel > Edit Avatar

Not the Profile Picture link, as this will only appear on your profile page, although this distinction is not really obvious from their names.

When you try to upload a picture wait to make sure it worked as if it is too large (either the dimensions or the size) it will fail, but will give a reason explaining what happened.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

I think it's the photos are too big (is a mb bigger than kb?) My computering consists of pressing buttons until the computer does what I want or dies! Can I make a picture smaller pixels once on the computer(easily) or do I have to take the original pic with smaller pixels. Or can I pick a pic from somewhere else because it wasn't even a pic of me to begin with?

By the way I have a lot of relies in MInnosota so is there anything good about that area?
    er..Minnasota, Minnesota,ummm I'm sure you know where I mean!

Aye, a megabyte (MB) is bigger than a Kilobyte (KB).

1 MB = 1,024 KB = 1,048,576 Bytes.

(Being totally pedantic that is not technically accurate, but that is how everyone uses the terms so no need to worry about the boring science stuff!)

You can resize your photo on your computer if you have a suitable graphics program, but there are also web sites which can do it for you and make the process very simple. Like this one:

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

If you select the photo you want to use as step one, then click the "100 pixels" option as step two, you can then skip the rest and go to step five to "Resize" it.

Although there is no option to specify the file size, unless the photo has lots of tiny details in it then the default 'better' quality will usually make it small enough to fit with the rules on this site. If not you can always try using the page again but select the 'Good' quality in step four which will then produce a smaller file.

Anyway, once you have clicked the resize button yor image should be displayed at a suitable avatar size, so just click the "Download this picture Now" link and it will be saved to your desktop (or wherever else files are usually downloaded to on your computer) and then you can try uploading it here.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

I'm now strongly tempted to move to New Orleans. Don't get me wrong, it is not the most vegan-friendly city in the US. However, it's so laid back and has great music and culture. It's just a whole other world.

I'm going to send in a long review of my trip over the weekend. For now, it's just one of my favorite places ever.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

No, you should come here!!! New Orleans is a great place to visit, but believe me, you DON'T want to live there. You really don't. All the great things it had are either gone, replaces with condos, or turned into crappy tourist shit. God, the french quarter is hardly worth going to anymore.

Lafayette is actually pretty awesome. Not as good as NO vegan-wise, but we've got one great DISCOUNT health food store, so vegan groceries are cheapo. It's also got a huge arts community. There's local theatre companies, we even get lots of huge companies that tour here. There's a huge local music scene, art galleries out the wazoo, AND we have FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL. A FREE 3 day music festival with internationally known artists, celebrating the french and cajun culture. Unfortunately, I had to work through the whole festival this year.

I'm all about San Francisco or New York at the moment. Of course, I'm stuck in Boston for at least two and a half more years, so it's kind of moot. (Boston could be worse)

No, you should come here!!! New Orleans is a great place to visit, but believe me, you DON'T want to live there. You really don't. All the great things it had are either gone, replaces with condos, or turned into crappy tourist shit. God, the french quarter is hardly worth going to anymore.

Lafayette is actually pretty awesome. Not as good as NO vegan-wise, but we've got one great DISCOUNT health food store, so vegan groceries are cheapo. It's also got a huge arts community. There's local theatre companies, we even get lots of huge companies that tour here. There's a huge local music scene, art galleries out the wazoo, AND we have FESTIVAL INTERNATIONAL. A FREE 3 day music festival with internationally known artists, celebrating the french and cajun culture. Unfortunately, I had to work through the whole festival this year.
    That does all sound great. I could always move to NO and visit Lafayette. I wouldn't live in the French Quarter, but the (and my spelling of this is probably waaaay off) Fauberg Meringay neighborhood seemed really nice.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

I really, really want to move to Berkeley and open a vegan, organic, Fairtrade coffee shop at the moment.

It will happen soon.
    Last edited by MarkAnthony; May 9th, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Academic Heaven. Liberal. Beautiful!