View Poll Results: What's your Body Mass Index ?

Voters
386. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMI less than 18.5 - Underweight

63 16.32%
  • BMI 18.5-25 - Ideal

242 62.69%
  • BMI 25-30 - Overweight

47 12.18%
  • BMI 30-40 - Obese - should lose weight

20 5.18%
  • BMI greater than 40 - Very obese - lose weight now

6 1.55%
  • That's none of your business

8 2.07%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Body Mass Index ?

LittleNellColumbia

Default Re: What's your Body Mass Index ?

Im thin, but i have a very small frame, and not much muscle which is why i am so light i do personal training to gain muscle tone and strength

yogini

mines in the ideal range....yay!

Mine is about 25. This might sound a bit high, but I do quite intensive exercise daily. Because muscle weighs more than fat, sporty people can have a BMI which does not reflect their true levels of body fat. I like to use a scale which can measure the fat index, which can tell how much of your weight is body fat.
    Mind you, heres the scarey thought for the day. When you apply for life insurance, the insurers do not ask for your BMI, but calculate it from your height and weight. So if you are rippling with muscle and have a high BMI, your insurance company may well think that you are just fat and hike your premiums - if I become rippled with muscle anyday soon, I'll start to worry. lol
    tim

21.99 - healthy so they say! However must agree with Ben and others that this is not an accurate way to determine if your healthy - I suppose there may be some obvious numbers for those in high risk groups (very under or over weight). I look healthy and slim to most people yet I couldn't run around the block. I think in determining our health we need to include many more factors, in fact weight should probably for the majority be the least of our concerns.

I'm ideal but getting close to the underweight at the moment.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I don't put much stock in it, judging by the varied results on this thread. I feel as though I'm at my ideal weight.

I'm envious of those of you with wobbly bits though, as soon as I lose weight my chest returns to its natural ironing board state!

26.03, I was 24.something at xmas. Comes from working in an office job for the past year as opposed to doing sport and stuff and walking everywhere whilst at uni. I just need to incorperate some more exercise and try to enjoy food less

The bbc link that corresponds to was a tv program a while back (about xmas, possibly easter i think) where you had to answer loads of questions to see how your health is. Not smoking, drinking much etc I came out pretty good, but lost points for not eating fresh fish! It was a very silly test, just as BMI isn't really very scientific, more an average.

Mine's 17.06

It sure gives itself get out clauses, just in case anyone tries to blame their result for whatever they do afterwards. For me, it basically says;

"You're underweight. But that might be your natural state."

Hmm, OK. It is, because I've basically been the same size my entire life, but still...Translated it means it doesn't know anything

Quote antman
    Hmm, OK. It is, because I've basically been the same size my entire life, but still...Translated it means it doesn't know anything
    I see that all the time, everywhere. I love to watch commercials so I can see the difference between what they're actually saying about the product and what they want the viewer to think they're saying. It's lines like "Helps relieve coughing for up to 8 hours" that make me laugh. For one thing, "helps relieve" doesn't actually mean the medicine will relieve. The advertisers don't seem to realise that "help" is a transitive verb, because they don't state "what" or "who" the medicine is helping. And "up to 8 hours" says nothing about the efficacy of the medicine, it just means "anywhere from 0 to 8 hours". So if your cough medicine doesn't do anything at all for your cough, you can't sue the company because their commercial only claims that the product may or may not do anything whatsoever. Almost every commercial I watch has nothing solid to claim about the product at all.

My favourite article is called "Doublespeak" by William Lutz, which I studied in first year English. It's all about advertisers and how they want consumers to believe that they're saying one thing about a product, when in fact they're saying just the opposite or nothing at all.

Oh yeah, I'm 20.8, and it basically gave me the same waiver spew about how that might be my normal state too.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

wow i just found out that i am a fat ass, couldn't have figured that out on my own

LittleNellColumbia

Quote xwitchymagicx
    I'm ideal but getting close to the underweight at the moment.
    Hi Sarah! are you eating healthily and in the right quantity? Make sure you look after yourself! ofcourse, its up 2 you if you wanna lose weight, but just look after yourself

Quote mophoto
    wow i just found out that i am a fat ass, couldn't have figured that out on my own
    LOL
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote happycow
    Yes???
    Sorry, didn't mean to mother you but i was worried. I guess you're only a littleun though, i didn't read you were only 19!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

LittleNellColumbia

Im really confused about BMI. Coz i dont understand how a set of numbers can determine our health. we all have differ body compositions too

For e.g my BMI is almost 13-14 and i look fine at my weight and am healthy

I look like a porker wen my BMI is anyway over 16. why is that? i dont understand it. and before anyone says it ITS NOT DISTOTED IMAGE!!! lol

Quote happycow
    Im really confused about BMI. Coz i dont understand how a set of numbers can determine our health. we all have differ body compositions too
    I agree!

21 something I'm ok

Geoff

BMI works well for someone of average build like me. When I first 'voted' I was 24.5 but am now at 19.6 thanks to Dr John McDougall. Coronary artery problems tend to get one's attention!

LittleNellColumbia

Well done Geoff! thats great good onya

oooh if anyone has any good vegan weight loss tips please PM me! I was just over 35!! I'm 170cm tall and about 104kg. I'm trying to keep a rein on what I eat and have just started back at the gym again. I'm not doing any proper programs, just cardio at the moment along with one yoga class a week that isn't supposed to be strenuous but I always sweat like a bastard in. I am a hungry hippo though and like rather a lot to eat at dinner time. I'm trying to at least keep it healthy food that shouldn't matter too much if I overeat it, and I suppose trying to be less hungry at dinner might help. I just love the taste of stuff!!! It makes me want MORE!

18.4 . That's up from about 16 a few months ago.

sugarmouse

im 24.8.only just not fat apparently.I agree bmi calculation cannot be accurate for all.
    I have recently lost 7 pounds thru eatin less rubbish and runnin 2ce weekly...i actually think I look overweight though still.

I have dropped out of the obese category into the overweight category. Sad thing is, so many people tell me I am skinny. Standards have changed so much in the modern era. I am somewhat fit, but bulge around the beltline.

25.8 -I think my diet is fine, I just don't exercise enough

I am trying to lose weight now. I'd like to lose 30lb.
    "Everybody has a heart. Except some people." -Bette Davis

I'm ashamed to say me and hubbie are 30...we've just joined the gym on a season ticket and are doing gym, yoga, 2 swimming sessions a week and morris dancing. Determined to be fit by next summer!!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

Peace, love, and happiness.

Bah! My BMI is 31.5. I'm 5'6 (167 cm) and 195 pounds (88.5 kg, or 14 stone). I used to weigh 270 pounds (122.5 kg, or 19.2 stone) about 4 years ago. I got down to 165 pounds (75 kg, or 11.7 stone) about 2 years ago, but I regained the 30 pounds. I would KILL to be 165 again!!!!! I know exactly what I need to do, it's not like I'm mystified about how to lose weight, I just eat too damn much. You girls here that have a BMI of like 25 and you want to lose weight, I wish I was that lucky

Oh, I have to add, when I was 165, my body was SLAMMIN and I got checked out more than any 120 pound chick!

My 'natural state' is about this. Maybe a teeny bit less.

Quote Enchantress
    18.4 . That's up from about 16 a few months ago.
    Yay Enchantress! Well done.

Quote Jamie
    oooh if anyone has any good vegan weight loss tips please PM me! I was just over 35!! I'm 170cm tall and about 104kg. I'm trying to keep a rein on what I eat and have just started back at the gym again. I'm not doing any proper programs, just cardio at the moment along with one yoga class a week that isn't supposed to be strenuous but I always sweat like a bastard in. I am a hungry hippo though and like rather a lot to eat at dinner time. I'm trying to at least keep it healthy food that shouldn't matter too much if I overeat it, and I suppose trying to be less hungry at dinner might help. I just love the taste of stuff!!! It makes me want MORE!
    Exercise m8,best solution.Find a daily amount to eat that you don't put on weight with then increase your exercise and your body will naturally lose fat!
    Walk/jog every day,building your distance up and soon you'll be doing 5 miles no problem.6 months down the line you'll see a huge difference and you'll feel a whole lot better as well!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I don't think people should take a huge notice of these figures........i'm 5'10" and between 11 st 3 and 11 st 7 depends on my fluid intake and exercise that day etc and it has me at 22.56-23.14 which is at the high end of the scale for healthy.I would say i was quite slim,not skinny,but deff not well built,but according to this chart i could lose 2 STONE and still be considered healthy!
    If i was 2 stone lighter i would deff be ill!

Blueshark

BMI doesnt take into account muscle mass.

It is just a height/ mass ratio?

Exactly,people shouldn't read too much into it!

Hahaha, I have no muscles.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote gogs67
    Exercise m8,best solution.Find a daily amount to eat that you don't put on weight with then increase your exercise and your body will naturally lose fat!
    Walk/jog every day,building your distance up and soon you'll be doing 5 miles no problem.6 months down the line you'll see a huge difference and you'll feel a whole lot better as well!
    Thanks Well we'll just have to see - I'm not very good at sticking with the gym but hopefully the goal of being in the Australian summer in about 3 months time will help me along!

Mine is 23.76 - I am 5'6" and weigh 10 stone 7lbs (147llbs).

I am therefore in the normal range but I know that I would feel better if I lost around 7-10llbs. The problem is I love food and eat way too big portions plus I drink too much...

I do swim regularly, but I could do more exercise which would of course help.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote Jamie
    Thanks Well we'll just have to see - I'm not very good at sticking with the gym but hopefully the goal of being in the Australian summer in about 3 months time will help me along!
    You don't need to spend all your money at the gym.Stats show in the UK that 80% of people that take out a gym membership only use it as much as they'd planned for 2 months,the rest of the year their attendence just tails off,no matter how well intentioned!
    Build up your own exercise program in the house
    sets of
    pull ups on a door frame (hands facing forward and then towards yourself)
    push ups ( hand s wide apart and also close together with elbows tucked in)
    sit ups ( various types)

Build up from sets of 10 to 15 and repeat every day.
    After a week or so you will be doing say,a set of 20 pull ups,50 sit ups and 50 press ups.Do that 3 times a day (only takes 10 mins) coupled with a running/cycling program (again,take it easy and build up) and,i promise,you will notice ahuge difference in your upper body and your cardio stamina (and,of course,your weight)
    A couple of free 10kg hand weights are good as well for sitting in front of the tv for bicepts/tricepts if you can be bothered!

I just like using the cardio machines at the gym - recline bike (the normal one makes me feel like I have piles!! ouch! ), the cross trainer (my fave), treadmill, and rowers, and there are trampolines too if I felt like a bit of that. There's also a pool but I don't use that too often as I have to remember to defuzz first lol! And there are loads of classes included in the membership and of course all the weight machines too if I feel thatway inclined.

I'm more of a two week intensive and then something happens to break the pattern and then it's nothing for about 2 months... I'll just have to TRY MY BEST this time around, since I know I haven't got long!!

Whoo. My weight has finally settled down after being really unhealthy a few years ago. I worked at Pizza Hut before I went Vegan.. I don't recommend it. Not that there's anything Vegan there anyway.

sugarmouse

mines gone down to 24.4 now.I have been ill for couple of days, had to leav work early monday and just went bk today.so iv lost some weight.

Are you some kind of Ironman, gogs?
    Quote gogs67
    I always have this mental image of the door frame breaking off...

Quote gogs67
    After a week or so you will be doing ... 50 press ups.
    I'm lucky if I can do five of those

Quote gogs67
    A couple of free 10kg hand weights are good as well for sitting in front of the tv for bicepts/tricepts if you can be bothered
    I have a couple of 5kg ones and they kill me....

I feel like such a lightweight... I'll stick to walking the dog

i weight 9st exactly and am 5ft 4in.

i'm 21.6

Quote gogs67
    Build up your own exercise program in the house
    sets of
    push ups ( hand s wide apart and also close together with elbows tucked in)
    sit ups ( various types)

Build up from sets of 10 to 15 and repeat every day.
    After a week or so you will be doing say,a set of 20 pull ups,50 sit ups and 50 press ups.Do that 3 times a day (only takes 10 mins) coupled with a running/cycling program (again,take it easy and build up) and,i promise,you will notice ahuge difference in your upper body and your cardio stamina (and,of course,your weight)
    A couple of free 10kg hand weights are good as well for sitting in front of the tv for bicepts/tricepts if you can be bothered!

Or,alternatively,walk the dog a lot!lol..................................

I was thinking the same Fiamma but was too ashamed to admit it!

I can do sit ups but none of the other stuff. I'm such a weakling! lol. I don't mind really I'll get there in the end.

This must be less accurate for women I'd have thought because of their extra bodily features.

sugarmouse

lol good point!! grrr I want big boobs now.lol

Quote mophoto
    yes, i just quoted myself, from almost a year ago!! i am officially not morbidly obese anymore.. or overweight. i am average (barely)

the bmi is evil and i should stop looking at it - my sister and best friend are considered morbidly obese according to that scale and they can run circles around me, in terms of energy. when we go walking, i lag, not them. i do feel better but it makes me sad to see the emotional crap they put up with on a daily basis. when i was "morbidly obese" i wanted it to make it my goal to be skinny so i could be a spokes person for the overweight. i am there- fat people rock!!!! the bmi is a lie!

yaaay mophoto!!! well done! I hope I can do the same in a year

xxx
    john