View Poll Results: What's your Body Mass Index ?

Voters
386. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMI less than 18.5 - Underweight

63 16.32%
  • BMI 18.5-25 - Ideal

242 62.69%
  • BMI 25-30 - Overweight

47 12.18%
  • BMI 30-40 - Obese - should lose weight

20 5.18%
  • BMI greater than 40 - Very obese - lose weight now

6 1.55%
  • That's none of your business

8 2.07%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: What's your Body Mass Index ?

sugarmouse

Default Re: What's your Body Mass Index ?

Mine is now 23.6. I lost weight.

I'm at a 21 BMI...weird cause I thought I was quite fat (I have gained several pounds the past few months) .

I don't think BMI means too much. It's basically a ratio of your height and weight and doesn't take into account the amount of fat one has. BF % is a much better measurement than BMI. But I'd be too scared to know my BF % anyway!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

19.5 =]

pavotrouge

Has anybody taken a look at the illustrated BMI categories at flickr ?
    It's especially good watched as a slideshow with comments on and shows how little those BMI numbers mean in reality.

The last time I checked my BMI, which was about a year ago, it was within the normal range but I've put weight on since then - so new year, new diet!

Megan89

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Has anybody taken a look at the illustrated BMI categories at flickr ?
    It's especially good watched as a slideshow with comments on and shows how little those BMI numbers mean in reality.
    oh! v interesting i couldn't guess most of them.......

15,5 but going up.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

All these 15, 16, 17 BMIs are making me depressed.

RubyDuby

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    All these 15, 16, 17 BMIs are making me depressed.
    why would u want to be underweight? (not that this deserves that much credit)

Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

19.5 normal, I guess

I've always wondered how the BMI charts can be anymore accurate than the standard height/weight charts on whether someone is over or under weight.

steven1222

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    why would u want to be underweight?
    To look younger?
    To fit into old clothes?
    To improve self-esteem?
    To feel less self-centered?
    There are many reasons to want to be "underweight."

I have a harder time thinking when my BMI is above 19.4. Currently, it is around 19.5
    Last edited by steven1222; Jan 11th, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: 100th post

Quote steven1222 View Post
    To look younger?
    To fit into old clothes?
    To improve self-esteem?

I have a harder time thinking when my BMI is above 19.4. Currently, it is around 19.5
    Being underweight doesn't improve anything, and if you think it improves self esteem then you probably have an underlying problem and should problem seek professional help.

I know there are people that have a hard time putting weight on and are naturally underweight but no one should strive to be underweight just as no one should strive to be overweight.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

steven1222

Quote missbettie View Post
    Being underweight doesn't improve anything
    Actually, it can reduce heart rate, as well as having a calming, relaxing effect. In some people, those effects would be beneficial.

and if you think it improves self esteem then you probably have an underlying problem and should problem seek professional help.
    There is no such thing as an underlying problem just like there is no such thing as evil - it is all a matter of individual perception.

I know there are people that have a hard time putting weight on and are naturally underweight but no one should strive to be underweight just as no one should strive to be overweight.
    People should strive to be whatever they want to be. If that means underweight or overweight, then that is what it means. Life is too short for living up to general ideals.

People should strive to be whatever they want to be. If that means underweight or overweight, then that is what it means. Life is too short for living up to general ideals.
    So people should strive to be unhealthy? Being overweight and obese increases peoples risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer. And being underweight has SOOO many negative affects as well.

So people should strive to be drug addicts? Alcholics? Abusers? Yes lets tell people to strive to do something unhealthy, good idea, doesn't really matter if they will die too early or teach their children unhealthy habits to continue the cycle...

And the underlying problem could be that the person has an eating disorder and self esteem issues that cannot be solved from just being 80 pounds.

RubyDuby

To look younger?
    To fit into old clothes?
    To improve self-esteem?

I don't really understand this post. If u changed the word "underweight" to "healthy weight" I would agree, partially.

being too skinny does not make one look younger. How could being underweight possibly make a person less self centered or have a higher self esteem? If anything, that much concern for being "underweight" would be just the opposite.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    being too skinny does not make one look younger. How could being underweight possibly make a person less self centered or have a higher self esteem? If anything, that much concern for being "underweight" would be just the opposite.
    In sick anorexic thinking it does. Loosing weight, getting thinner and thinner does improve your self-esteem. Or at least you believe it will. It shows you that you're strong, in control of something (which you lack in other areas of your life). Of course the end is that you will never be thin enough to feel happy about yourself, and that in the worst case you starve yourself to death. But when I was in the depths of anorexia it did greatly improve my self-esteem, at least temporarily.
    Victor Hugo

RubyDuby

how did u feel about yourself, besides your weight?

It couldn't possibly have truly improved your self esteem if you're completely focused on your weight. Its a lie.
    (not u, the false idea.)

Quote applepie View Post
    In sick anorexic thinking it does. Loosing weight, getting thinner and thinner does improve your self-esteem. Or at least you believe it will. It shows you that you're strong, in control of something (which you lack in other areas of your life). Of course the end is that you will never be thin enough to feel happy about yourself, and that in the worst case you starve yourself to death. But when I was in the depths of anorexia it did greatly improve my self-esteem, at least temporarily.
    And thats why in thinking being underweight will improve your self esteem and health typically means there is an underlying problem i.e. an eating disorder. do you agree?

@rubyduby: There wasn't much else of me. I was reduced to my body weight, nothing else mattered. It was all-consuming, the constant thinking about not eating, calories, losing weight. Therefore to see that I had lost weight did increase my self-esteem (at least temporarily, until I set myself even lower goals) as it was all I could focus on.

@missbettie: Definitely. I completely agree that wanting to be underweight indicates an underlying problem. But I can still see why people would think that it would increase your self-esteem.
    Victor Hugo

RubyDuby

but it isn't real. I don't think that could really fit the definition of "higher self esteem".

sorry u had to go through that

Actually, it can reduce heart rate, as well as having a calming, relaxing effect. In some people, those effects would be beneficial.
    Here is a list of possible medical effects of being underweight:

irregularity or cessation of menses, bradycardia (low heart rate)/irregular heart beat, electrolyte imbalances, dizziness/fainting spells, sudden cardiac death and long term health complications including osteoporosis, depression, and reproductive complications.

If anyone thought their heart rate needed altering, they should discuss this with a doctor or qualified medical professional.
    Our heart rate is not something we should try to alter, its our heart beat which keeps us alive!
    Messing with our heart rates can lead to death.
    The calming effect of food restriction is a psychological one due to underlying control issues.
    If anyone wanted to lower their heart rate there are safer ways to do it, like doing yoga or meditation, and keeping fit generally.
    I wonder if this debate should be moved to the eating disorders thread?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Good sperm

Overweight, apparently...

steven1222

Quote missbettie View Post
    So people should strive to be unhealthy? Being overweight and obese increases peoples risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer. And being underweight has SOOO many negative affects as well.

So people should strive to be drug addicts? Alcholics? Abusers? Yes lets tell people to strive to do something unhealthy, good idea, doesn't really matter if they will die too early or teach their children unhealthy habits to continue the cycle...
    If people are aware of the consequences of doing "unhealthy" things and still want to do them, that is their right. Who are we to tell them otherwise?

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Actually, being "underweight" can reduce hormone levels, delaying the aging of the body. Normally, it does not make a person less self-centered or increase self-esteem; I mentioned those as possible effects if a person feels like it allows oneself to focus more on important things instead of self-gratification (eating).

If a body is underweight for long periods it will go into "survival" mode, that means the body does stuff to try to keep itself alive in the short term, like reducing heart rate, lowering metabolic rate, shutting off reproductive function- which is why hormone levels change. Also why osteoporosis occurs, because the body takes the minerals away from bones to use for essential survival functions.
    Being vegan is not about eating disorders or anorexia but we have a thread on it so why not go there to discuss this?

Here is the eating disorders thread
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...ting+disorders

fu BMI.

I'm skinny but overweight.
    context is everything

Ekk I didn't mean to start a whole discussion on eating disorders!

If people are aware of the consequences of doing "unhealthy" things and still want to do them, that is their right. Who are we to tell them otherwise?
    Friends? People don't like watching their friends be unkind to themselves, self-harming and risking their health.

pavotrouge

I agree with Roxy.

Some years ago, I had a friend who was really suicidal and kept talking about his plans.

Would you tell them: "Ok, go and jump if it's your wish!" ?!

I'm by all means for personal freedom, but not to a point where things endanger someones life.

steven1222

Quote Roxy View Post
    be unkind to themselves, self-harming and risking their health.
    That is a good description of what big-bellied meat-eaters do when they eat dinner. That is a good description of what overweight people with high cholesterol do when they drink their next cup of whole cow's milk. Those two examples harm both the person and animals, and should therefore be emphasized over behavior that harms only the person.

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    Some years ago, I had a friend who was really suicidal and kept talking about his plans.

Would you tell them: "Ok, go and jump if it's your wish!" ?!

I'm by all means for personal freedom, but not to a point where things endanger someones life.
    I do not like when people try to set arbitrary limits on other people's personal freedom. I am all for the right to have a BMI of 14 and the right to commit suicide. Of course, I also believe in educating people of the negative effects of such extreme action and helping them find more moderate solutions, but using a demanding tone or forcefully preventing them from doing what they want to do does not truly help anyone.

RubyDuby

I don't think anybody was being forcful. In fact, I think this discussion is a good example of "educating people of the negative effects of such extreme action".

steven1222

I did not mean anyone was being forceful in this thread. What I meant is that senseless force and demands should not be used to prevent people from doing something unhealthy. Many people draw the line between tolerable and extreme too low; banging one's head on a table occasionally or having a BMI of 17 can sometimes help a person more than it harms.

i guess there is really no point in agrueing about this...espcially in the bmi thread. lol

I don't agree with you steven but thats what makes the world so diverse and wonderful!

21 - except I'm pretty podgy really lol so I could still do to lose some! I've had a lot of ED problems in the past though so I find if I lose it, I can't stop losing it, so I get back on the recovery road with a lot of anxiety and upset in the meantime, then I get to this podgy stage again!!

I'm 21.5 but I have 27% body fat,I'd really like to lose to loose 6kg to get my body fat % down but then BM1 would probably go down !

patientia

Now 20.7. I lost weight over the past year or so and feel much better for it. Still feel like I could lose a bit more. I have trouble resisting chocolate and wine though!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

not a chef yet

Quote VeganBride View Post
    21 - except I'm pretty podgy really lol so I could still do to lose some! I've had a lot of ED problems in the past though so I find if I lose it, I can't stop losing it, so I get back on the recovery road with a lot of anxiety and upset in the meantime, then I get to this podgy stage again!!
    My sister used to have anorexia and has now recovered probably as much as it is possible to do so. She's now a bit bigger than she's happier with, but to be honest I think she looks great and so does everyone else. Obviously I don't know what you look like, but I expect you've got a nice figure. It's just that most of the images we are inundated with by the media are of women who are probably underweight or border-line underweight and airbrushed to the point of unnatural perfection. I think normal and healthy isn't often portrayed by the beauty industry, so a lot of women don't know what it looks like when actually all they have to do is look in the mirror to see it.

Mine's 20.5
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

it's funny, we all did this at work the other day. Mine was the only one that wasn't overweight out of 5 of us. One of them that it said was overweight really isn't overweight though!

"Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    fu BMI.
    Indeed. Not to mention they shifted the parameters downward in the late 90's. People who were once "normal" are now "overweight." Previously "overweight" folks are now "obese."
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

18.95 for me. I wouldn't say I'm that close to being underweight though... I feel perfectly healthy

Although my BMI is normal, I am very underheight. Being vegan hasn't changed that at all.