Thread: digestive enzymes

Default digestive enzymes

has anyone ever taken any digestive enzymes? i am considering it because for some reason it seems i can't digest anything normally anymore...and i am pretty much at my wit's end..
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Good sperm

Default Re: digestive enzymes

Probiotics don't work, but prebiotics do. Natural prebiotics include all fresh fruit and veg, so try eating plenty of raw fruit and veg every day to give the bacteria in your gut something to live on, and multiply.

Or maybe you're eating something you're intolerant to? Try an elimination diet and see if you notice any changes.

...though if you have acquired a digestive problem for no known reason I think it would probably be worth checking with a doc before trying to self-medicate, just in case you've got an infection or something.

Quote harpy View Post
    ...though if you have acquired a digestive problem for no known reason I think it would probably be worth checking with a doc before trying to self-medicate, just in case you've got an infection or something.
    yeah..its been going on for a little while now. it started with using no cal sweetener...so i stopped. but now i am noticing that anything with preservatives at all bothers my stomach..in addition to my asthma. basically i feel like its an allergic/intolerant reaction. i just dont get why its every day. and to be honest..i am a bit of a scaredy when it comes to the dr. plus, i know they will want to give me meds and i am not really a fan of pharmaceuticals
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

You don't actually have to take what they recommend of course, but it might be good to have a diagnosis?

If you have suspicions about foods that you think cause the problem, then maybe you could try eliminating them from your diet for a while to see if it helps? Obviously eliminating too much stuff may not be wise but if you think it's e.g. foods with preservatives then that still leaves plenty of other things to eat...Good luck.

Quote harpy View Post
    You don't actually have to take what they recommend of course, but it might be good to have a diagnosis?

If you have suspicions about foods that you think cause the problem, then maybe you could try eliminating them from your diet for a while to see if it helps? Obviously eliminating too much stuff may not be wise but if you think it's e.g. foods with preservatives then that still leaves plenty of other things to eat...Good luck.

yes, i have been trying to do that. its so difficult because those preservatives sneak up in so many things! its a drag. i will keep on trying..i know it takes a long time to figure out by process of elimination. thanks for the suggestions...i appreciate it!

I suppose that is an argument for making meals from first principles as if you eat stuff like vegetables with rice you know exactly what you're getting.

Mind you even natural and "healthy" foods can upset an individual, of course. I don't get on at all well with wholewheat or wheat bran, for example. I hope you get yours sorted out soon.

I take digestive enzymes and find that they definitely help me. I can recommend a vegan brand if you'd like that is specifically formulated to help break down carbohydrates from vegetables, legumes grains etc..
    Let me know if you're interested.

Quote Karmalife View Post
    I take digestive enzymes and find that they definitely help me. I can recommend a vegan brand if you'd like that is specifically formulated to help break down carbohydrates from vegetables, legumes grains etc..
    Let me know if you're interested.
    hi Karma..I would def be interested in that. I have also been thinking about getting some probiotics. sometimes i wonder if anything will help. how long have you been taking them? what made you decide to start up with it?

Sorry about your digestive problems! I take an enzyme complex medication "perscribed" by my osteopath for my liver/ stomach acid issues. I've been on meds for my stomach for about 8 years and this is the first one thats worked. It's helped A LOT!! I take two of them with each meal but am weaning myself off them as I eat more raw. Although its helped, I still don't like taking meds, either. Perhaps you could contact an osteopath about this, as they'll definitely integrate your asthma and digestive problem programs (as mine does).
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

cobweb

i take probiotics and find them helpful, i started taking them because i was getting heartburn after eating fruit.

thank you ella and cobweb! i think i will look in to the probiotics..and also, i would like to try to eat more raw foods..maybe this will help.
    i am like you, ella...i always prefer to try a method that doesn't involve meds.
    thanks again!

Veggiemaya:I worked in a health food store (briefly) and learned a lot about this sort of thing. I never tried probiotics but I did find that they are becoming very popular (especially for people who are prescribed antibiotics by doctors-argh!!).
    Anyway...the brand of digestive enzymes is called Enzymedica and the particular product I was referring to is called "V-gest".
    I personally have digestive problems myself- I get very bloated and uncomfortable when I eat- especially beans and grains. I've also tried the "Digest Gold" and that works well too. It's also vegan (I'm pretty sure all of their products are).
    You can take 2 with meals.

Hope this helps and hope they work for you!!

http://www.enzymedica.com/products/V_gest

wow, Karmalife..thank you very much! I will definitely look in to that brand the next time i hit the health food store. i appreciate the suggestions and i will let you know how it goes.
    thanks again!!

i"ve heard that fermented food is something helping us in digestion. like the fermented german cabbage "sour kraut" is excellent for a lot of things, (and same for the korean Kimchi, really nice stuff, i love it)
    AND! you can make your own "seed yoghurts" by taking sesame seed for instance (or nuts or other seeds) and mix with a mixer together with some water, and then add some lactobacilllus and let it become sour, for a couple of days... you can even buy lactobacillus in powder or tablett form, but, these bacteria are sensitive and might easliy die if not kept refrigerated. Or even if YOU do the right thing and keep them cold, they might have become damaged during transport before coming to the shop. SO, one good thing is to do your own stuff, (seed yoghurt) and then you'll be able to taste when it is ready.
    And by the way, there are scientist who have studied old tribes and how they lived and ate, and they learned that frementing food using good bacteria was a very important part of their meal. It was aslo a great way to store vegetables, when no refrigarator was available.
    There is a vitamin that people have just started to talk about, and it is the vitamin K2. It mostly in animal food, but guess what, it is found in saurkraut ! it is the good bacteria that does it.....