Thread: Vegan food in Bath?

Default Vegan food in Bath?

I'm going to Bath over the May bank holiday weekend for my birthday Does anyone know of any nice restaurants that do good vegan food but also non vegan food (my boyf won't eat vegan food!). Thanks.

Default Re: Vegan food in Bath?

Will he eat veggie food? Demuths is lovely but you will definitely need to book asap. I think it is busy all the time but especially weekends.

ETA
    If not try the Walrus & Carpenter. Probably need to book this too.

Also look here.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

try the happycow webste too.

I reviewed a couple of the places we went to last year on HappyCow. The Eastern Eye is definitely worth a visit for eye-popping surroundings even if the food is only average.

There was a very good wholefood shop there, Harvest, which I also seem to have reviewed on HappyCow - must have been having a fit of industriousness. It would be good for buying a picnic.

JC

i work at Harvest it has a deli which sells samosa type things, cakes and the best sandwiches in the world. they're mostly vegan, but your b/f won't know
    as for restaurants, there's demuths as marrers said, which is totally yummy, but also really expensive. i go there just for the vegan fudgecake with dark chocolate sauce and soya ice cream otherwise, there are a couple of other veggie places; the porter - sells veggie pub food (quite cheap), and above bloomsbury is the metropolitan cafe, but i haven't tried that. those two are good for during the day. there's quite a few choices for vegans at wagamamas, i really like it there. or, there's pizza express, which can do really nice pizzas without cheese. let me know if you want to know where any of these places are.

As a former Bath ressie, I'd give a big two thumbs up for the deli at Harvest which is excellent if you are planning to buy a picnic and maybe sit out on the benches in Abbey Green by the Roman baths to enjoy the sunshine (sometimes); the buskers (usually); and the pigeons (always)!

I've had poor experiences at Demuth's myself, so wouldn't recommend it for evenings or busy lunchtimes, although it's okay for breakfasts.

The Porter is great now that it's non-smoking, and the food is yum. It's the kind of pub grub (pasta, falafels, sandwiches etc) that your other half won't feel that he's in a specifically veggie place, and it's a nice pub too.

I tend to go to Wagamama myself, or to the cafe above Shoon.

Enjoy beautiful Bath.

Quote JC View Post
    i work at Harvest
    Lucky you, except that I can imagine putting on a lot of weight if I worked somewhere like that

seitan

Quote Marrers View Post
    Will he eat veggie food? Demuths is lovely but you will definitely need to book asap. I think it is busy all the time but especially weekends.

ETA
    If not try the Walrus & Carpenter. Probably need to book this too.

Also look here.
    demuths is good, but its very expensive!
    for a starter, main and pudding for three (and some drinks i guess) it was £90!!!!!! my wife was convinced we could get a viva discount, but we couldnt!

also in bath, is the porter butt pub (fuck, i hope thats what its called!!) which does vegan food.

JC

Quote harpy View Post
    Lucky you, except that I can imagine putting on a lot of weight if I worked somewhere like that
    And i have damn staff discount!

And about pizza express, i went a couple of months ago and was assured (several times) that the pesto was vegan. i went yesterday and was told that it contained cheese. what's the deal?!

I read the title of this thread as "vegan food in the bath" and was intrigued lol. Anyway, i don't know of anywhere, never been to Bath, but as someone's already mentioned, try the Happy cow website.

On our recent trip to Bath we revisited Demuth's (still good though a bit pricy for everyday) and tried the Porter Bar and Metropolitan Cafe.

Porter Bar was very pleasant; I think the pie I had may have been a Clive's Pie though I didn't ask, but I like those so am not complaining. Other half's shepherd's pie looked homemade but I can't remember if it was vegan (he's lacto-veg). Staff were friendly and place had a nice atmosphere I thought.

Metropolitan was not very vegan-friendly - all they had was hummus or tapenade sandwiches as they said they couldn't adapt the almost-vegan-sounding wraps etc on their menu (I gathered that the fillings were already assembled). I had a hummus sandwich which was fine as far as it went

After the theatre we also went to a place called Yum Yum Thai in Kingsmead Square which had a fair amount of apparently-vegan, and well-cooked, food.

Once again one of our most enjoyable meals was a picnic bought from Harvest and eaten in Victoria Park.

Belated thanks to JC and everyone else for the tips.

Yak Yeti Yak is well worth a visit if in Bath. Really nice and friendly people, vegan wise, at least 3 vegan starters, 8 main dishes, and a vegan desert too.

www.yakyetiyak.co.uk

Thanks! Looks nice - must give it a try next time. Was slightly perturbed by the floor cushions but I see they have chairs as well

I went to the Pumphouse a few weeks ago and they modified a dish for me. it was delicious!! bit weird trying to eat lnch with a load of tourists gawping at you. the food was delicious and there were chandeliers and a pianist and not even that expensive. i loved it!

We did go in the Pump Room last time, but only to gawp. Too bad you weren't there eating your vegan food and then there would have been something worth gawping at

Quote seitan View Post
    demuths is good, but its very expensive!
    for a starter, main and pudding for three (and some drinks i guess) it was £90!!!!!! ....
    Yeah, that seems about right. In fact, it seems quite reasonable to me. Haven't you noticed the cost of food has gone up a LOT recently?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

demuths has great food but i still felt hungry after dinner there but i only had a main and drinks, due to the expense.

cobweb

Quote twinkle View Post
    Yeah, that seems about right. In fact, it seems quite reasonable to me. Haven't you noticed the cost of food has gone up a LOT recently?

i thought the same - i would expect to pay that much in a place like Bath, anyway.

Does anyone know of any mid-range omni restaurants in Bath that also cater well for vegans? I am arranging a family meal and as the only vegan in the group, I don't think Demuths would be appreciated, unfortunately for me!

That's a shame, wouldn't they even try Demuths? It's the sort of place omnis sometimes like because the food is so well-presented.

Do they like Indian food? We went to one called the Eastern Eye which is omnivorous but reasonably vegan-friendly and is in a rather splendid Georgian ballroom IIRC. It was a few years ago so it would be advisable to check more recent reports online. ETA sorry I see I'm repeating myself from the message above, how time flies

Unfortunately not which is a shame as Demuths would have been perfect. I don't even think they'll appreciate Indian food, I have a really fussy bunch to consider - and they think I'm the fussy one! Thanks for your help Harpy!

Yes it's annoying that, when vegans are accused of being "fussy" by fussy omnivores. I will eat virtually anything that's vegan, if I have to.

There are one or two other omnivorous places listed on Happycow or maybe someone here will know somewhere. I'm sure all the usual chain restaurants have branches there, if there are any that they would find acceptable. My foreign-food-hating m-in-l will consent to go to places like Pizza Express.

Pusskins, as well as the porter pub already mentioned, I'm led to believe the guy previously behind the porter is now connected to Chapel Arts Centre.

Brilliant - more cake! Thank you.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

New veggie cafe in Bath with good vegan options too apparently. Haven't been yet, anyone else been?

https://twitter.com/GreenRocketCafe

According to Tripadvisor, The Porter is now selling meat.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...t_England.html