Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bizarre or weird news stories

Mahk

Default Bizarre or weird news stories

I thought to start a thread for news stories that are almost beyond belief. I'll start with one from today's news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7379566

Please everyone, don't post isolated "news" articles from tabloid/gossip magazines or what we call "yellow journalism" here in the US. Check to see that the story was picked up by at least a few major news organizations like Reuters, AP, BBC, CNN etc. so we know it has some credibility. Posts about Sasquatch crashing a UFO into the Loch Ness monster because of a secret government conspiracy are not what this thread is about.

Thanks.

Good sperm

Default Re: Totally bizarre or weird news stories thread.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Posts about Sasquatch crashing a UFO into the Loch Ness monster because of a secret government conspiracy are not what this thread is about.
    Damn, and I had that news story all ready to link to...

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Damn, and I had that news story all ready to link to...
    PMSL, dont let me down now by not putting it up......

http://www.lochness.co.uk/exhibition/ufo.html
    Closes i could get.

Good sperm

Good effort Puffin!

Mahk

Thanks Puffin, clearly there was no evidence that Sasquatch was piloting the crashed UFO so I think we can safely assume your news report is factual. Did everyone also notice that the regular news bureaus have steadfastly refused to cover the story; a clear indication of a massive government cover-up/ conspiracy perhaps even at an intergalactic level. I'll have to consult my crystal ball for more information because my Ouija board has strangely gone missing (probably also the government's work).

Great find by the way.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I thought to start a thread for news stories that are almost beyond belief. I'll start with one from today's news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7379566

OMG that's awful!

What a world we live in.

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Good effort Puffin!

Quote Mahk View Post
    Thanks Puffin, clearly there was no evidence that Sasquatch was piloting the crashed UFO so I think we can safely assume your news report is factual. Did everyone also notice that the regular news bureaus have steadfastly refused to cover the story; a clear indication of a massive government cover-up/ conspiracy perhaps even at an intergalactic level. I'll have to consult my crystal ball for more information because my Ouija board has strangely gone missing (probably also the government's work).

Great find by the way.
    Darn it, i need more evidence (goes to loch ness to find fragments and green particles). Cant trust the government to tell us anything, why oh why do we have to scout the Internet to find the truth in this world.

Mahk

Update: Her "innocent" boyfriend has a shady side:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23830270/

Maybe he forced her to stay in the bathroom and she won't tell authorities because of battered person syndrome. He definitely sounds like a sicko.

The things that go on behind closed doors eh?

Mahk

New story. This happened almost a decade ago but the security camera video was only released recently. This poor chap later sued the building and elevator manufacturer and won an undisclosed settlement so that's good but what an ordeal. Nothing gory, don't worry.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/vide...0421_elevators

I guess his building was unoccupied over the weekend. [When he pries the doors open is him peeing down the elevator shaft.]

Poor guy, hope he's super rich now though. How much do you think he deserved?

This was in one of the trashier papers but apparently is going to be shown on C4 here which is alot more reliable.

Child kick boxing - Contains pictures

Article is about 5 year old children being forced into kick boxing matches by their parents.
    Last edited by Risker; Apr 22nd, 2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Removed article and replaced with link
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

WTF That's sick

That poor man stuck in that elevator too. He deserves A LOT of money! Although that can't make up for the trauma he experienced.

Mahk

Risker, that's so disturbing I can't even bring myself to read the text. The pics alone make me very upset. I'm against boxing and "extreme fighting" or whatever they call it even for adults. [without head gear, at least] The rationalizations I hear my coworkers make are so delusional:

-Ali probably would have become the shadow of himself even if he never boxed in his life.

-Studies show 90% of professional boxers experience head trauma and/or detached retinas you say, Mahk? I don't care, its their choice.

-They should use "head gear" like they do in the Olympics, Mahk? Are you kidding? Do you know how much more difficult it is to knock an opponent unconscious if s/he is wearing head gear? Oh, and most matches don't have KO's anyways, by the way, its really more of a "points system". [So why the f*ck can't they wear head gear then?!]

-So what if the AMA (American Medical Assoc.) and the Australian Medical Assoc. both say it should be banned immediately, what do they know, they're just doctors.

-It's not a "blood sport" as you call it, at all; yes there's blood shed in most matches but they recover.

-Only a few people have died. Do you know how many people have died from car accidents? Should we ban cars too?

Heavyweight boxing, at least as it is in the US without headgear, is barbaric and akin to the Roman gladiator days.

Quote Risker View Post
    This was in one of the trashier papers but apparently is going to be shown on C4 here which is alot more reliable.

Child kick boxing - Contains pictures

Article is about 5 year old children being forced into kick boxing matches by their parents.
    Much as i love combat sports, although my days of competing are well gone, that is just sick! It was on the news here last night and one of the parents came out with 'I have a better bond with my kids than these parents that do nothing'!!!
    He obviously doesnae do irony!

And these women were taken to court in Plymouth last year for filming their kids fighting!!!!
    Is there a difference?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

News of the world is a tabloid. Actually, I doubt you'll find bizarre or weird stories that aren't printed in tabloids, they corner the market on those kinds of stories (even if they have to make them up or exaggerate the shit out of them).

did you not watch the baby fight club program, nyphur? It may be senationalist, but it's bloody shocking.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    did you not watch the baby fight club program, nyphur? It may be senationalist, but it's bloody shocking.
    That's the entire point, sensationalist news is designed to be shocking. Proper newspapers like The Times take some editorial license to keep stories interesting but tabloids and sensationalist programs will stoop even lower and misreport or misrepresent a story to gain readership.

There are two types of parent involved in this. The first is the kind that is coercing their kids into fighting against their will for some reason. The second (and probably most common) is the type of parent who is letting their kid compete in a sport that they like. This is a bad parenting technique that allows the child to make decisions about what's best for them despite them not understanding the dangers of the sport but it's not forcing the kid to do something against their will. Not all of the parents involved are forcing their kids to fight, some are just inadvisedly allowing them to.

Arguably, they're the same thing and the consquences of letting a kid fight like that are essentially the same as forcing them. However, as a matter of journalism there is a huge difference between reporting the news and distorting it. If the news is reported fairly, it should be primarily enlightening and informative rather than shocking.

Quote Nyphur View Post
    There are two types of parent involved in this. The first is the kind that is coercing their kids into fighting against their will for some reason.
    And those were the sorts in this program. 4-year-olds wanting to kickbox? One little girl was crying before a fight and was coerced back into the ring by her dad. Then she was cheered (though the term "baying" might be more appropriate) on by everyone surrounding her. Nobody should have to go through that. I chose to do Tae Kwon Do when I was 9. Actually chose. Being trained by obsessed parents from walking age is different.

If the news is reported fairly, it should be primarily enlightening and informative rather than shocking.
    I think that when it is reported fairly, then it can be the most shocking, because the truth outs.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    And those were the sorts in this program.
    That's my entire point. The program was made ABOUT those sorts, which presents the false implication that those are the only type of parent involved when they might well be a minority. It's the kind of deliberate unbalanced reporting that makes for popular shocking news but that isn't reliable a complete overview of the story they're covering.

Mahk

Wow. Hard to believe but I checked and the story is being carried by many legit news organizations:
    [YOUTUBE]RKZYpHmUayg[/YOUTUBE]

Default Re: Totally bizarre or weird news stories thread

Awwww what an AWESOME story!

Now they need to decide wether to call him Romulus or Remus.

Vicar went to hospital with potato stuck in bottom

The clergyman, in his 50s, told nurses he had been hanging curtains when he fell backwards on to his kitchen table.

He happened to be nude at the time of the mishap, said the vicar, who insisted he had not been playing a sex game.

The vicar had to undergo a delicate operation to extract the vegetable, one of a range of odd items medics in

Sheffield have had to remove from people's backsides or genitals.

Others include a can of deodorant, a cucumber, a Russian doll – and a carnation.

Speaking of the vicar, A & E nurse Trudi Watson, of Sheffield's Northern General Hospital, said: "He explained to me, quite sincerely, he had been hanging curtains naked in the kitchen when he fell backwards on to the kitchen table and on to a potato.

"But it's not for me to question his story. He had to undergo surgery to have it removed."

She advised anyone tempted to use such objects in sex games to think again.

"It can be very dangerous and potentially life-threatening," she said.

"Surgery can lead to infection, nasty scarring, and it could possibly end up with the person having to use a colostomy bag as a result."

A hospital trust spokeswoman in Sheffield said: "Like all busy hospitals we do see some unusual accidents.

"But our staff deal with them in a discreet, professional and kind way."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-bottom.html

Or how about

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...e-stomach.html
    Priest 'smashes chair' over Italian restaurant owner's head as nuns kick him in the stomach
    An Italian restaurant owner was allegedly attacked by a priest and two nuns in what witnesses described as a Wild West-style "saloon bar brawl".

Nick Squires in Rome
    Last Updated: 10:48PM GMT 03 Nov 2008

The clergyman and nuns allegedly hit and kicked the 49-year-old man in an argument over the lease on the restaurant, which is owned by the Catholic Church.

The restaurateur said he rushed to the eatery, in the village of Rutino near Salerno, in southern Italy, after hearing that the priest and nuns were causing trouble.

He told police that he got into an argument with the priest, who smashed a chair over his head. The nuns followed up by kicking him in the stomach.

Stunned passers-by were shocked to see tables and chairs being hurled around the bar and promptly called the police.

"I came down to try to calm things down but the priest hit me with a chair and I ended up on the floor. Then the two sisters started kicking me, insulting me with unrepeatable words," the unnamed owner said in a statement.

He was taken to hospital with injuries to his neck and bruising to his abdomen.

A lawyer for the clergy disputed his version of events, noting that the nuns had "a combined age of 160".

"This establishment was being occupied illegally," said lawyer Gaetano Di Vietri. "As to the alleged aggression, I would only say that the two nuns have a combined age of about 160. For the rest, it will be up to the magistrate to clear up, but the clergy members deny the allegations."

The priest and nuns belong to a religious order, the Disciples of Santa Teresa and the Baby Jesus, which owns the lease on the premises and reportedly wants the property back.

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Nazi leader Hitler really did have only one ball

Hitler really did have only one ball, according to claims by a German army medic who saved the Führer's life during the First World War.

The Nazi leader lost a testicle during the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the doctor claimed.

The medical condition, for which there has never been conclusive proof, was mocked in the Second World War ditty which begins: "Hitler has only got one ball, the other is in the Albert Hall."

The disclosure is made in a document noting a conversation in the 1960s between German war doctor Johan Jambor and his priest, Franciszek Pawlar, according to The Sun. The priest's document has come to light 23 years after Jambor's death.

Although it was known Hitler suffered a groin injury in the Somme, evidence that he was 'monorchic' - the medical word for the condition - has evaded historians.

Blassius Hanczuch, a friend of Jambor, said the doctor later blamed himself for saving Hitler's life. He said: "In 1916 they had their hardest fight in the Battle of the Somme. For several hours, Johan and his friends picked up injured soldiers. He remembers Hitler. They called him the 'Screamer'. He was very noisy. Hitler was screaming 'help, help'.

"His abdomen and legs were all in blood. Hitler was injured in the abdomen and lost one testicle. His first question to the doctor was: 'Will I be able to have children?'."

The popular song emerged in 1939 and is thought to have been written by a publicist for the British Council, which was tasked with helping build propaganda that would damage the Nazis.

The commonly-recalled version is an adaption of the original, which ran: "Göring has only got one ball, Hitler's [are] so very small, Himmler's so very similar, And Goebbels has no balls at all."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-one-ball.html

Here kitty, kitty: Meet the two-faced cat

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-13762,00.html

Omg that poor, sweet baby. I hope he/she survives (they call the kitten an "it" throughout the article).

aw little kitty or is it kitties?
    i wonder if the kitty has one or two minds?

didn´t you know about that?! that´s been known for years... but still interesting...
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

^ Well, that confirmation was only published yesterday so...

Mahk

Um, there's a medical condition, I'd assume there's even a name for it but I can't find it, where one (maybe even both?) testicles move upward into the man's body cavity. This can happen from getting kicked or in this person's case naturally from sex. Anyway my point is that even to a trained medic, a casual view of the guy's junk would look like (ahem, and feel) like the dude only had one nut. Seeing as it isn't a painful experience and Hitler was already in extreme pain at the time to notice his "balls felt out of place" I'd think the odds that this is what had temporarily happened to him just as, if not more likely than he was born with only one nut.

It might be related to this.

Update: the double-headed kitty has died. Poor thing.

poor kitty

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...2&in_a_source=

Missing - one cockatiel. Answers to the name of Smokey. Literally...

An escaped parrot has been reunited with his owner after squawking his name down the phone to confirm his identity.
    Fugitive Smokey was found in a park by Sue Hill, who tracked down his owner's phone number and called to check the cockatiel was indeed his.
    She spoke to David Edward's wife, who asked her to hand the phone over to the parrot. Right on cue, he began chirping: 'Smokey, Smokey!'
    'It was very funny. That was the first time the bird had spoken and it was then I was sure he belonged to them,' Mrs Hill said.
    Smokey did a disappearing act from Mr Edwards' house in Wrexham on Saturday.
    The next day, he landed on Mrs Hill's shoulder while she was out walking in a park 3km (two miles) away. 'He was very friendly and just stayed there,' she said. In a bid to return the lost bird, she phoned several local vets and eventually found one who had been contacted by a worried Mr Edwards.
    'I couldn't believe it when Sue contacted us to tell us she had found him. We were delighted,' the grandfather said.
    'He has his own character and says phrases such as "Hello Smokey", "Smokey-Cokey" and "What's that?" he added.

^ I'd have liked it better if Smokey had just sent his former jailors a postcard from Mexico...

that would have been far funnier indeed!!! LOL

Five years ago, when neighbors noticed elderly Frank Bernstorff had quit puttering around his Evanston garden, they asked one of his live-in sisters if anything was wrong.
    No, Margaret Bernstorff said, there was nothing to be concerned about -- he'd gone to live with out-of-state relatives.
    Last spring, when sibling Anita Bernstorff stopped coming out onto the porch, neighbors repeated the question.
    Anita had become afraid to venture outside, Margaret Bernstorff said.
    No one wanted to pry. Why should they? They had no reason to suspect anything strange had happened inside the large green-and-white house with the faded lace curtains and yellowing blinds.
    Unseen since early '80s
    On Saturday, the Bernstorffs' neighbors on historic Judson Avenue grappled with the news that the skeletons of Frank, Anita and a third sibling had been found inside the home a day earlier.

That third sibling -- identified by the Cook County medical examiner as Elaine B. Bernstorff -- had not been seen since the early 1980s, when she was believed to be in her 60s. She was born in 1916.
    Anita Bernstorff was last seen alive in May 2008 at age 98 and her brother, Frank, was last seen in April 2003 at age 83, according to the medical examiner's office.
    Investigators said all three died from natural causes, but that did little to unravel the mystery of why the remains were kept inside the Bernstorff home.
    Halloween treats
    "Some were partially clothed, some were wearing full clothes," said a source in the medical examiner's office. The bodies were covered when they were found, another source said.
    Margaret Bernstorff has been placed in a senior care facility, officials said Friday. In recent months, Bernstorff had become increasingly frail and, at the urging of some of her neighbors, had sought help from an advocate for the elderly in Evanston. It was that relationship that led police to discover the bodies Friday, investigators said.
    As a winter-like wind raked the fallen leaves along Judson Avenue on Saturday, neighbors stared at the yellow police tape around the Bernstorff home and spoke of Margaret Bernstorff as an an articulate, friendly and generous woman.
    "She is just a sweet old lady, and we are all very fond of her," said one neighbor, tears welling in her eyes.
    That was a common sentiment along Judson Avenue, a wide boulevard of elegant homes with deep front lawns.
    Margaret Bernstorff frequently plucked flowers from her yard and delivered them to her neighbors. On Halloween, she handed out candies to the neighbors' kids.
    'You didn't go inside'
    Neighbors said the Bernstorffs had lived at the Evanston home at least since the 1920s. Neighbors recalled Margaret Bernstorff going to neighborhood Fourth of July parties and talking about her father, a professor of German at Northwestern University. Professor Frank Adolph Bernstorff had also written several German grammar textbooks.
    But others noted that Margaret Bernstorff almost never invited neighbors into the house.
    "You didn't go inside," said one neighbor. "You left things at the back door."
    Al Redmond, 44, a local contractor, had made several outside repairs to the Bernstorff home during the last five years, and he also kept his vintage Buick in its garage, Redmond said.
    Redmond said Margaret Bernstorff rarely let him or his workers inside. If Redmond asked to use the bathroom, she'd say there was something wrong with the toilet, he said.
    But one occasion, Redmond had to open the attic windows because he'd just painted the exterior frames and didn't want them to get stuck.
    The inside of the home was lined with stacks of old newspapers -- some as tall as him, he said. Redmond said he sometimes had to turn sideways to get by the newspapers.
    And inside the attic, "it was like it hadn't been touched in 40 years," Redmond said.
    But if there were bodies inside the home, Redmond never saw them, he said.
    "She was very proud and private," said one neighbor. "No one wanted to pry. She had a real grace about her, and everyone wanted to respect that."
    http://www. suntimes. com/news/metro/1267657,evanston-woman-living-with-three-dead-110708. article

Quote buttons View Post
    Update: the double-headed kitty has died. Poor thing.

Poor baby

Mahk

As far as I can tell this is real:

http://www.foxnews.com/video-search/...or_cheater.htm

From another site:

Female athlete was really a man
    Xiao Nan, of Chengdu, won more than 40 medals as a women in student competitions after graduating from high school...
    Chengdu
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Chinese woman athlete who won dozens of medals has thrown most of them away after learning she is really a man.

Xiao Nan, of Chengdu, won more than 40 medals as a women in student competitions after graduating from high school.

But after hospital tests confirmed Xiao's suspicions that she was really a man she has thrown out all but 10 of them.

"Being a champion was never a happy thing to me. Standing on the podium made me feel guilty, and I always thought the real champion should have been the one standing next to me," Xiao said.

Xiao's extraordinary athletic performances in schools and in provincial and national competitions, won her great honour and free access to university education.

But, inside, she felt confused: "I felt I often had an impulse or desire for women instead of men. And my body is more like a man than a woman."

Xiao had a check-up at a local hospital and the result confirmed she had male chromosomes.

He is now living as a man and has begun a course of sex change surgery at Sichuan Xichan Plastic Surgery Hospital which will take nine months.

"The first thing I want to do after the surgery is to go swimming, wearing only boxer shorts," Xiao told.

Anyone else know more?

Can you imagine only realizing your true gender as an adult?!

There have been other examples of athletes with questionable gender but they were in on it; even Hitler had some I think.

^ it's possible to be born as an intersex person and be raised as the 'wrong' gender and only realise which is your true gender when you get older. there was a very sad case of a guy born intersex who was raised as a girl - as part of an 'experiment' the doctors wanted to carry out to see if you could 'force' a gender onto someone - but realised he should've been a man much later in life; he eventually committed suicide.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I was really uncomfortable with the way that news item was covered on the link, btw.

Mahk

Fox "news" is rather juvenile and unprofessional. In the US we pejoratively refer to it as bordering on "yellow journalism", but I have no idea if that expression is used elsewhere, seeing as it's origin was based on US newspapers c. 1900. From my limited understanding "The Sun" in the UK might be considered analogous.

Ah, that would fit.

Zero

You may want to quote some of the text from some of these articles you guys are posting because the stories don't stay up on news websites forever or get moved into archive areas of their sites.

Mahk

^Good point. I've added text from a different source to my previous entry.

yeh fox news is about the same as the sun newspaper (uk and ireland) which is a bit like the New York Post. We sadly get Fox News in the UK now. It is awful. And they have the cheek to use the slogan 'fair and balanced'
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Mahk

I don't watch fox news, mind you, it's just that my internet service provider's news section on my home page is a mix up of various sources [and out of my control as far as I know] so I never know if when I click on an interesting headline if I'll get CNN, them, or whatever.

glad to hear it lol.
    what that channel has done to journalism is just shocking
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/arti...entid=16148817

Tree 'found in man's lung'
    A fir tree has reportedly been found growing inside a man's lung during surgery for suspected cancer in Russia.
    The 5cm sapling was discovered by surgeons when they operated on Artyom Sidorkin, 28, to remove what they thought was a tumour, according Russian television reports.
    Vladimir Kamashev, one of the surgeons operating of Sidorkin, said he was "shocked" when he cut into Sidorkin's lungs during the routine operation and discovered a small fir tree inside.

Didn't it need to photosynthesise or something?

If you like strange happenings, I recommend the "breaking news" section of the Fortean Times website. A daily update of odd news.

http://www.forteantimes.com/latest/breaking-news/