Thread: Hillside animal sanctuary Norfolk vegan cafe

Default Hillside animal sanctuary Norfolk vegan cafe

I was just reading my newsletter from Hillside sanctuary, and noticed they have taken over the Norflok Shire Horse centre - full of rescued horses. Situated at West Runton.

Says there is a cafe there and are offering customers snacks/cakes/dairy free ice creams/drinks all totally animal free

The shop area of the newsletter is also selling several vegan cookery books.

www.hillside.org.uk

Good sperm

Default Re: Hillside animal sanctuary Norfolk vegan cafe

Fantastic! I hope it's a roaring success

cobweb

i also noticed that in my newsletter (that reminds me, must fill in the spot the duck competition!).

wish i had any chance of getting there - we have adopted 5 of their animals between us, it'd be great to visit them and have a nosh-up!.

We got news that Jessica the goat died recently - v. sad. Looking forward to going to the new Shire Horse centre... but not sure about the riding lessons.

Id love to visit but never in Norfolk, the cafe sounds good think they are just setting out there, it didnt say vegan but says everything is animal free

They also have self catering holiday cottages on the shire horse centre land which looks really good, id be interested in that but there is not an enclosed garden which we really need for our dog companion.

Anyone fancy a meet up there? Ive yet to meet any vegans in this part of the world, to busy with life I guess. Becky and I are expecting our first baby in the next few days so it could be his first day trip!

Wish I lived nearer, sounds a great idea but not when i dont drive Im afraid Its too far, but if i ever get there Il get in touch My cousin and his wife are interested in going with their 3 and 5 year olds but are not vegan.

An exciting next few days then for you

No problem alisont, I don't think theres many people on here from Norfolk but it was worth a try. Yeah, busy times ahead but it should be great fun. Can't wait to be a daddy!

Hello,

Just joined this forum. I'm actually off to Hillside some point next week when I'm staying in a cottage on the North Norfolk coast. I'm a supporter of the sanctuary so am really looking forward to going there. Strangely enough it was thanks to one of Hillside's newsletters that I became vegan! I have them to thank for my new way of life and I'm so grateful! Hoping to see Bluebell and Pixie the cows that I'm sponsoring

Hi Shroo, My adoptees are Tessa ( a wedding present), Starlight and Rosemary.

I went to Hillside several years ago, it was great to see looking so 'happy' and healthy. Although a little sad to know that for every one of those lucky residents there are millions that don't have that kind of respect and care

I had a real surprise that the cafe was vegan, but when I thought about it really makes sense that a sanctuary ought to be vegan.

When I went last summer I had a lovely vegan fruitcake and cup of tea. Could also have had an ice cream, but had brought a huge packed lunch as I didn't realise there would be vegan options.
    Veganvoo, I don't think there's many vegans in East Anglia, or if there are they choose to be quiet about it! I'm in Suffolk and will maybe be visiting the sanctuary later in the summer.
    Hope your baby is bouncing and well.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I know of a lot of vegans in East Anglia. There are vegan groups who meet in Norwich, Suffolk, Cambridge and Essex....we are out there.

Ah that's good to know! Vegan groups in Norwich and Suffolk sounds cool. Do they have a website or anything do you know, photomad?

I went to Hillside on Monday and had a great time there. I can't believe how big one of my adopted cows is - Pixie - he is massive!! My dad is a farmer and I was discussing it with him as I had never seen a bullock so big. He pointed out the sad fact that most bullocks are killed before they reach full size - effectively they're still babies - how awful.

Anyway, on happier news, the animals all looked great. And how wonderful it was to grab a bite to eat at the cafe! I must admit, that it threw me a little when I looked at the menu which contained a range of cheese sandwiches. I made my omni companion ask what on the menu was vegan when he went to order our food and he said that the girl thought he was a little stupid when she told him that 'everything' was vegan, lol. It's just difficult to get out of the mindset that you have to check everything.

Anyway, really enjoyed my trip there and hope that I will get back there at some point soon

cobweb

i think that is so excellent, especially listing the sandwiches as 'cheese' and not backing down but having everything vegan as i'm sure many visitors aren't even vegetarian - i wish more sanctuaries did this. It used to drive me mental when i lived/worked at a 'sanctuary' (not such a great haven for the poor dead animals though) where they had death meat BBQs to raise funds. Grrrr.

Sounds great,my cousin and his family are going to Norfolk for their summer hols so ive said it would be a fab day out with the kids, his wife is veggie and the cafe would be good for them

Quote Shroo View Post
    Strangely enough it was thanks to one of Hillside's newsletters that I became vegan! I have them to thank for my new way of life and I'm so grateful!
    Hillside were a major factor in my decision to go vegan too. i went there on my 24th birthday and loved it there.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Wink Re: Hillside animal sanctuary Norfolk vegan cafe

I've been so busy with our lovely baby boy I almost forgot this post. Great to hear all the support for the sanctuary. As for the norwich vegan group I have every intention to join them at a future meet up. Does anyone here go?
    Our boy was born on the 4th of may and weighed 7lb. His name is Oliver and we have every intention to raise him vegan.

good for yoooouuuu veganvooooooo

Hillside just sent me this!

Dear Friend

We now find ourselves in an extremely serious financial situation, which is about to affect our ability to continue feeding and caring for our animals.
    We have to thank our regular suppliers of feed and hay and our vets, who have up to now been very patient and extremely understanding of our plight, but there is only so much leeway they can afford to give us with regards to settlement of their bills.
    Regrettably, we have had to make some staffing cutbacks but the remaining staff have been brilliant in managing to care for our rescued animals in difficult circumstances.
    Unfortunately, we couldn’t have predicted this current recession and all the spare funds we’ve had in the past have now been tied up in extra land, which is now home to the many animals who live there.
    It is fortunate that we do have some legacies due but they are mostly reliant on the sale of property before funds can be released to us. These are being held up owing to the serious slump in the housing market.
    Any offer of help you could give us now, however small, will be more than gratefully appreciated.
    You may donate through the following link:
    http://www.hillside.org.uk/acatalog/donations.html

Thank you for reading this email.

Best wishes
    Wendy Valentine
    Founder
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Thanks emzy1985.
    I just bunged them a fiver and will do more when I can.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

That's so sad. I got the same email, have marked it as unread to remind myself to do something when I get paid. Will have to pay that cafe a visit in the summer, too.

thanks Emzy, i'm on their mailing list so i don't know why i didn't get that email
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'