Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone exercise at home?

Default Re: Anyone exercise at home?

I have some skipping workout DVDs which are great fun but absolutely knackering! I must get back into that again. I've also taken up running, I walk the dog at a good fast pace every day (30-45mins), and will be going back to judo in a week or two.

I do an hour on the treadmill 5-6 times a week. I have two different yoga based programs I do on alternating days. Including holding the crow pose, pullups, bridge pose,handstand pushups and regular pushups. I also do heavybag work every third day.

I'm going to be doing a few bicycle races this year, so I'm putting in my base hours now. I hate being cold so I ride my bike in the house over the winter using a stationary trainer. Looks like this if you've never seen one before.. http://cycleopsproseries.com/jetfluid-pro-gallery/#
    I'll usually do some yoga to warm-up/stretch out before and after riding. I'll set a table next to me and snack on dates and walnuts and good ol' water during the ride. I'll ride 1 to 2 hours usually, which seems like a long time, but watching a movie or listening to an audiobook helps time pass quickly.

helen105281

I find it difficult to exercise at home as I live in a fourth floor flat so can't jump around for the sake of the neighbours. I do yoga most days though and also sometimes practice stuff I learnt when I did ballet classes, mostly barre work. Have got a Leg magic in the garage but can't use it in the flat as too noisy.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    I used to skip (jumprope) at home, but now I live on a top floor flat I don't think it would be very appreciated by the people living below .
    I just re-read my original post and saw I bought a skipping rope, which I hardly used! I'm on the bottom floor but I think the whooshing of the rope is quite loud, so I could only do it during the day, not early in the morning.

I quit the gym a year ago, trying to save money. We bought a stationary bike which I hardly used but have used a lot in the last few months. I also walk for 60 mins, 2-3 times a week and I just got an aeorbics dvd which is fun and a good work out. I have a regular bicycle too but I have taken it out for a while.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I try to remember to do 10 mins Pilates in the morning, but that's so that my hips and back don't stop working during the day.
    I have a little stepping machine that I put in front of the TV at least once a week - episodes of American TV series on DVD tend to be about 40 mins long, so are perfect.
    My OH likes to walk after work, just to the supermarket, and I join him twice a week. It's 25 mins there and 25 back. Enough to build up an appetite for dinner.
    As for paying activities, I go swimming once a week.
    Just have to stop eating so much rubbish now............

Quote cobweb View Post
    i do yoga at home if that counts
    do you have a dvd that you follow or you just doing it from your mind? i'd like a good yoga dvd....

Daffodil, I do yoga at home, too. I usually just do the same routine I created from ballet training and chiropractic knowledge. It works for my back and shoulder problems. But I also really like the Shiva Rea discs. I bought them on Amazon, I believe. The yoga ones are quite easy, I didnt find them challenging enough. I also bought her "creative core" DVD. I'll have to try it...eventually. It seems more like a pilates/ yoga mix, which I think I'll like a lot.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

helen105281

I use "Lets Yoga" on my Nintendo DS which I love as you can tailor it to your requirements for the day with regards to time and how you are feeling. Also had a couple of private sessions with my friend who has just qualified as a yoga instructor to check that I was doing things correctly. I have a few DVDs too, Barbara Currie is quite good, and I have a basic Yoga book that comes with a DVD published by DK.

I do squats all the time while watching TV or even when I'm on the computer.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

i do pilates. not often enough though but working on it.
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

I started running a couple of weeks before I went vegan last month. Today I did a 20 minute run, I plan on making it up to about 10km hopefully.

I wouldn't mind going to the gym, except its expensive and hard to get to the nearest one, I might buy some weights and something aerobic-y to do at home aswell though

Quote helen105281 View Post
    I use "Lets Yoga" on my Nintendo DS which I love as you can tailor it to your requirements for the day with regards to time and how you are feeling.
    Um isn't the screen a bit small to see, when you're standing up doing these poses??

helen105281

It is a bit small but you get used to it, I have it sitting on the bed and it's not too difficult to see. Also the program I am using at the moment tends to repeat the different asanas so you get to know them and don't need to look at the screen. I think it also verbally tells you what to do though can't be certain as my mind has gone completely blank.

I used to use a Get In Shape Girl tape. Remember that? Have been stretching lately at home

I really wish that they taught the metric system in America... I just don't understand kgs and all that stuff that the rest of the world does (thank you United States for keeping me ignorant..).

I'm sure this is more slang than actual unit of measurement, but can somebody please tell me what a "stone" is? Is it like a pound?

Sloth

1 stone = 14 pounds....It's not slang.

I do yoga and I use my grocery bags to do bicep curls on the way home from the supermarket

Top tip: you can get some real bargains for home exercise gear in your local classified ads or freecycle where someone has bought an item, used it 3 times and given up.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I go to the gym because if I run outside my back will screw up and then I won't be able to run any more. I love running and, unfortunately, the last two Sundays I HAVE been lucky enough to run outside (with no ill effect except happily aching calves). Which now means the treadmill will probably be the dullest thing on earth, especially when you're on it for 45 minutes at a time. Music is good to pass the time, but it's nothing compared to the great outdoors. Ah well, I gotta do what I gotta do! 'sides, I like the heated swimming pool and the steam room. Mmm mm, eucalyptus!

Though this Sunday I might have to take a sneaky run up and around Calton Hill a few times. Given I'm doing a 10k around Arthur's Seat in a month, it'd be wise to get used to hills

My flatmate exercises at home most days, though, and she loves it. She has a stationary bike and otherwise does strength work, I think. She's lost a bunch of weight, it really shows. We're both looking better atm

I have a very quiet and compact stationary bike that fits well in my closet (I live in a shoebox sized apartment, so it's great I can store it). I like to ride it while listening to music or even reading a book. Usually after my cardio bike work outs, I'll do yoga for flexibility, strength training and reducing my stress. Free and I don't have to deal with gym egos and B.O.

I, as a geek, have the obligatory Wii Fit, and My Fitness Coach. My Fitness Coach seems to think I live in a huge house with room to do a lot of grapevining etc.

I also have a Hula Hoop, which my lounge is just big enough to accomodate if I stand in the middle of the room.

I like the Hula Hooping most... it's playing, and that makes it rocktastic.

Although far less dedicated than life pre-child, Kundalini yoga, stability ball, elliptical trainer and giant trampoline in back garden all endeavour to keep me semi-healthy around my own home. Plus, I walk everywhere and get to feel good about my lessening carbon footprint by not owning a car(unhealthy, polluting, non-vegan contraptions).
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

cobweb

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I, as a geek, have the obligatory Wii Fit, and My Fitness Coach. My Fitness Coach seems to think I live in a huge house with room to do a lot of grapevining etc.

I also have a Hula Hoop, which my lounge is just big enough to accomodate if I stand in the middle of the room.

I like the Hula Hooping most... it's playing, and that makes it rocktastic.

i have wii fit, too, it's great
    i dance a bit round the house, too, and do yoga and stretching.
    Can't walk very far now

I go on walks most days - but I keep meaning to take up running. it's just something I can never be bothered to do.

I also have wiifit, which i don't use much anymore, it gets boring very quickly.

And taebo DVDs, they're okay, but he does some weird stuff that i cannot always keep up with.

cobweb

is it the Billy Blanks Tae Bo?
    i used to love that!

^ Yeah! he's very motivating to say the least. But I swear they have the heatong on in the studio because they always end up 10x more sweaty than me.

I've been exercising at home this summer (when I haven't been able to go hiking). I've been trying to shoot for over an hour a day, 5-7 days a week.

I'm lucky enough to have a punching bag to work on (I had an idea after I cut my hands one time, as I often do. I call him Mr. Freckles. We're bestest friends), and a pair of tonfas, so I can practice what I learned in kenpo karate.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

*live*&*let*live

^That must be hard balancing the keyboard!
    I have Wii Fit and a modern exercise bike. I also jog well attempt to with this bloody achilles injury on the spot (you will NEVER see me jog outside of my home!). Will be getting the extra exercise stuff for the Wii when cash permits and I can justify the cost. Doing house up at mo. :smile:

ETA Oh God got Natalie Cassidy's workout DVD ooerrr! It's a real KILLER!
    I have a few pilates dvds and the mat but not used them yet. The mat is handy for the Wii though.

Oh my word... is that blood??? You'll have CSI at your door... (Will you let me know if Gary Sinise comes round? If it's David Caruso just send him away )

*live*&*let*live

I was wondering that too Fi, my mum would prefer Grissom!

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    ^That must be hard balancing the keyboard!
    I have Wii Fit and a modern exercise bike. I also jog well attempt to with this bloody achilles injury on the spot (you will NEVER see me jog outside of my home!). Will be getting the extra exercise stuff for the Wii when cash permits and I can justify the cost. Doing house up at mo. :smile:

ETA Oh God got Natalie Cassidy's workout DVD ooerrr! It's a real KILLER!
    I have a few pilates dvds and the mat but not used them yet. The mat is handy for the Wii though.
    Hehe, well, I usually don't type at the same time =p

I really would love to try the Wii Fit if I ever got the money to spare for it. Ouch... I'm sorry about the injury. I hope it heals (er... no heel/heal pun intended >_>).

Quote fiamma View Post
    Oh my word... is that blood??? You'll have CSI at your door... (Will you let me know if Gary Sinise comes round? If it's David Caruso just send him away )
    Well, it's all my blood, so I guess I don't have to worry =p Though just in case, I'll make sure to send Gary Sinise your way =p

I used to work out a lot and I'm getting back into it. For the last few days I've been doing sit ups and chin ups to get back into the swing of it. As of next week I plan on starting a legs / arms / abs 3-day thing with a rest day in between.

Quote hanseidavid View Post
    I used to work out a lot and I'm getting back into it. For the last few days I've been doing sit ups and chin ups to get back into the swing of it. As of next week I plan on starting a legs / arms / abs 3-day thing with a rest day in between.
    I got great 3 kg hand weights the other day from Tescos, ideal for shadow boxing and, even better, due to their shape (a kind of handle with a flat bit that goes over the knuckle) they instantly transform into one of these 'push up' devices!!!!!
    So i'm incorporating that into my routine now!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I've been doing more aerobics dvds (Ministry of Sounds and Davina's) as well as time on the stationary bike plus I've just ordered a fitness ball and a set of hand weights.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I've been doing more aerobics dvds (Ministry of Sounds and Davina's) as well as time on the stationary bike plus I've just ordered a fitness ball and a set of hand weights.
    Too late now, but for anyone else, if you are going to buy any fitness equipment try the local paper or gumtree.
    Every house or garage in the country has unused fitness stuff lying around!
    I only bought my Tesco hand weights because they are so unusual and handy, but everything else i get, i usually get free or for a ridiculously cheap price and then use until they are broken or worn out!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I got great 3 kg hand weights the other day from Tescos, ideal for shadow boxing and, even better, due to their shape (a kind of handle with a flat bit that goes over the knuckle) they instantly transform into one of these 'push up' devices!!!!!
    So i'm incorporating that into my routine now!
    Do you eat a 'bodybuilding' diet (6 smaller meals per day) or just a normal diet and work out? Just wondering.
    I used to post over at bodybuilding.com and I remember a lot of articles about vegan nutrition and toning up. I'll hopefully go back and read through them when I reach the plateau.

I do try to eat smaller meals more frequently, but usually it's 3 small meals, and a few snacks throughout the day. Though I try to have my higher carbohydrate meals (like pasta or cereal) before workouts, and have more protein after. I'm not exactly bodybuilding, I do want to build some muscle if possible.

Quote hanseidavid View Post
    Do you eat a 'bodybuilding' diet (6 smaller meals per day) or just a normal diet and work out? Just wondering.
    I used to post over at bodybuilding.com and I remember a lot of articles about vegan nutrition and toning up. I'll hopefully go back and read through them when I reach the plateau.
    Nah, just 'normal' food for me! Every month or so i'll have a week of a lot more fruit and a protein shake every day, but that's about it!

The only reason you need to eat a 'body building' diet is if you want a ridiculously low body fat % which, unless that is your natural shape, is not worth the health risks.
    Look at the shape of guys from the '50's and 60's who were into that kinda thing, say Sean Connery, that's as natural a shape as i would ever want to attain to.
    I'm not really into the aesthetics of it anyway, more just the fitness.

Yes, I exercise at home, along with my other exercise pursuits!

I have a plethora of DVDs. Currently I am starting work on Tracy Anderson's dance cardio. I do Davina workouts and a 10-minute boot camp boost every day.

I do some skipping at home, which is good fun! I don't actually do it in the house I also have a wee trampette which I picked up for not much money. It certainly doesn't collect dust! Good exercise when watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and The Biggest Loser...

(I also cycle from home to work, and I have started playing squash, but obviously these aren't at home!)
    Last edited by pusskins; Aug 14th, 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: I seem to love the word 'also'
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I think I prefer exercising at home because even if that's less fun than a trip to the gym, I am more likely to keep it up because I am too lazy to go to the gym or don't make time for it.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

I work out at home. I don't have the money for the gym, and I think they're kinda gross.

I have a 5 pound dumbell and some mats that lock together.
    I do about 30-36 bicep curls
    36 bench presses
    20-30 squats
    60 bicycle crunches
    20 shoulder raises
    30 tricep presses
    15-20 regular crunches
    15 regular push ups
    60 push "offs" (push ups against a wall)
    30 thigh presses
    60 calf raises
    I then do some yoga and ballet stretches.
    After that, I may do a power walk around the block, making sure my glutes are squeezed, and I stand tall for confidence. I feel like I can do anything!

I have some fitness goals:

I took Judo in the spring, and I really want to go back and achieve a couple more belts.

I want to learn how to ride a bike.

I want to get some rollerblades!

When I was growing up, we had a pool and I wish we still had one. Maybe I'll find a clean pool to swin in. I miss the water!

I also used to dance and I'd like to reapply myself to that in the future... but it may take awhile.

Rocket Queen

I run round the park each day unless I am ill/too tired/hungover but 6 out of 7 days
    And I do my dumbell arm exercises at home and go on my friends trampette

Emily, I could never find time for all of that. Even if I were really focused, I don't think I could do it because I'd rather do other things.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Sarabi View Post
    Emily, I could never find time for all of that. Even if I were really focused, I don't think I could do it because I'd rather do other things.
    Aside from the stretching you could get through all these exercises in around 20 mins.
    It looks like quite a good little daily routine though!

Quote pusskins View Post
    I do Davina workouts and a 10-minute boot camp boost every day.
    I really enjoy her dvds, they're a lot of fun!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Aside from the stretching you could get through all these exercises in around 20 mins.
    It looks like quite a good little daily routine though!
    There's no way I could do that in 20 minutes.

boatsteem1

Like Shrapnel I also have a boxing bag at home which I use daily. I got it last December and it's by far the best investment I've ever done. There's nothing like duking it out with something that doesn't run away.

It's perfect for exercise. I train some kickboxing so it's good to keep some muscles there when I can't spar with somebody.

I also use it when I'm really annoyed with something or when I need to make an important phone call. I box for a while to build up some aggression - then I'm ready to for any phone call

Greatest thing ever!

Hmm. This is interesting:
    http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I really enjoy her dvds, they're a lot of fun!
    They're fabulous, aren't they? You get a good, all-over workout. I'd like to get her second boxset which is now out. I also like it that she looks fit and 'normal', for want of a better word.

Quote mazatael View Post
    Like Shrapnel I also have a boxing bag at home which I use daily. I got it last December and it's by far the best investment I've ever done. There's nothing like duking it out with something that doesn't run away.

It's perfect for exercise. I train some kickboxing so it's good to keep some muscles there when I can't spar with somebody.

I also use it when I'm really annoyed with something or when I need to make an important phone call. I box for a while to build up some aggression - then I'm ready to for any phone call

Greatest thing ever!
    Do you know, I would love to have a boxing thing! Get a lot of my frustration and pent up energy out in a matter of minutes. Nowhere to hang it, though, and far too expensive!

I've been looking at joining a gym recently, and I reckon I've found one which fits my budget. It feels like I'm trying to fit my work around my fitness schedule at the moment! ^_^
    Last edited by pusskins; Aug 18th, 2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: mis-phrased
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

boatsteem1

Quote pusskins View Post
    Do you know, I would love to have a boxing thing! Get a lot of my frustration and pent up energy out in a matter of minutes. Nowhere to hang it, though, and far too expensive!

I've been looking at joining a gym recently, and I reckon I've found one which fits my budget. It feels like I'm trying to fit my work around my fitness schedule at the moment! ^_^
    I know the nowhere to hang it thing. I cleared up some space in my bedroom and now I have it there in the corner. You kind of need pretty much space for moving around but I like it the way it turned out. I've space for doing other things there, too.

It's not too expensive, though, I would say. I got mine used for €40, and mounting equipment was another €5 which was totally within my budget

Gym is another good option