Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anyone exercise at home?

Default Re: Anyone exercise at home?

Quote mazatael View Post
    Like Shrapnel I also have a boxing bag at home which I use daily. I got it last December and it's by far the best investment I've ever done. There's nothing like duking it out with something that doesn't run away.

It's perfect for exercise. I train some kickboxing so it's good to keep some muscles there when I can't spar with somebody.

I also use it when I'm really annoyed with something or when I need to make an important phone call. I box for a while to build up some aggression - then I'm ready to for any phone call

Greatest thing ever!
    I really want one, my bf's brother-in-law even offered me one but I have no where to hang it right now. When we move to somewhere bigger I will get one, I can't wait!

Quote pusskins View Post
    They're fabulous, aren't they? You get a good, all-over workout. I'd like to get her second boxset which is now out. I also like it that she looks fit and 'normal', for want of a better word.
    I understand what you mean, she looks happy, healthy and fit! Yest'day I did one of the Ministry of Sound dvds I have and I found myself wishing I'd chosen a Davina one! I have Super Body Workout and am waiting on Davina McCall - High Energy Five and Davina - The Box Set : The Power Of 3 / My Three 30 Minute Workouts
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I weight train and do most of my cardio at home. I also ride my bike, and while it's excellent exercise, I do that more for fun.

Quote Slowly I Awake View Post
    I weight train and do most of my cardio at home. I also ride my bike, and while it's excellent exercise, I do that more for fun.
    Exercise should be fun, it should never be a chore!

And, as for the punch bag, there really is no better thing to have hanging in the house/garden/garage! Until you've hit a bag till you can't lift your arms (which is a lot quicker than you may think) you've never lived! Any frustration or anger you may have had will be well gone.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Exercise should be fun, it should never be a chore!
    Heh...you're right. I suppose I worded that wrong. I should have said that I don't concentrate too hard on getting my HR up or anything ~ I just cruise and enjoy the sunshine.

Back when I took self defense classes, we had one class that concentrated only on bag work. When I first walked in, I thought, "Oh good...no partner training. Much easier!"

It ended up being the hardest class.

I'm currently cycling 15.5miles to work for four days a week and the same back. This is due to a lack of funds rather than a need to exercise. I am slightly peeved I've not lost any weight however.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I'm currently cycling 15.5miles to work for four days a week and the same back. This is due to a lack of funds rather than a need to exercise. I am slightly peeved I've not lost any weight however.
    You might be building muscle, though? You should pop to a chemist which has a weighing machine which measures your fat %. And you will be a lot fitter and healthier for it! I started cycling to and from work about 5 months ago - 10 miles to get there. It took me over an hour to start with. I now am averaging 40-45 minutes, and hope to get that time down when I get new tyres designed for my journey.

Well done!
    Last edited by pusskins; Sep 8th, 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarifying I also come back home, too!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    That should work out at about 1lb weight loss per week in calories burned.
    How long you been doing this?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Pusskins - the first time I did it it took me three hours! There are lots of hills on the way which is a help and a burden at the same time. I have a very high spec road bike that I found at cash convertors for next to nothing so it rides perfectly but it still takes me two hours as I am really not fit at all.

Gogs - I've been doing it for two months or so, so that probably is muscle gain I suppose.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

phact0rri

I'm to poor to afford something fancy like a gym membership. I don't even have weights. I pretty much just make do with the martial arts I know, and zero point exercises.

If I'm too short of time/thwarted by SWMBO/grandchildren et al to get out on the roads, I use an indoor trainer hooked up to my PC http://www.tacxvr.com/

Probably the nearest I'll ever get to cycling up moutains on the continent.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Pusskins - the first time I did it it took me three hours! There are lots of hills on the way which is a help and a burden at the same time. I have a very high spec road bike that I found at cash convertors for next to nothing so it rides perfectly but it still takes me two hours as I am really not fit at all.

Gogs - I've been doing it for two months or so, so that probably is muscle gain I suppose.
    I wouldn't worry about the time it takes, at least you ar doing it and not making feeble excuses. When I first started out that sort of distance was very challenging.

If you keep at it you should be able to get it under an hour, or just over, depending on traffic of course. I do hate it when those horrible metal boxes get in my way :smile:

What bike have you got BTW?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

yah i do every morning , so much easier and cheaper and its just easier than taking yourself off the gym
    io used to pay for one a few years ago but then i just invested in some equipment , few free weights , strechy ropes , yoga mat . hand grips
    I do pilates which really only requires the mat!.

plus i have a mini trampoline ( given away free !! )
    and i skate.

that being said I also have acsess to the gym in the basement where i work so use that at lunch time as well

... i dont work in a basement...btw
    just there IS a basement and uhh it has a gym in it for staff

I do treadmill and weights , but not recently because of the declline in my health. (this is why i am returning to the xVx lifestyle)

I'm all about working out for FREEEE (besides, I'd get too selfconsciouslike at the gym!) lol.. I run at this big gorgeous county park nearby where I can see deer and foxes and be on the bay and see all kinds of critters.. and I've always done a bunch of yoga, but now I'm in a yoga teacher training program so I'm doing yoga nonstop whenever I'm not at my 2 jobs (and it's always lovely that I get unlimited free classes at the yoga studio!)

When I get a house (soon I hope) I'm planning to fill my garden with various obsticles like rocks, logs, pallets etc. so I can practice bike trials in my garden.

I currently ride around to my local church to ride on the walls and stuff. I find bike trials to be such a good workout, I think it combines stretching/flexibility with stength/power exercises.

I do a few weights at home when I'm not too lazy

I like to run everyday (weather permitting) and I also do ab workouts a couple of times a day.

When I was a kid in primary school, I was really great at long distance and sprints but I eventually got out of running when in high school.
    Since being veggie and now vegan, I've gotten back into it, cos I thought 'why not, I have all this energy!' and I feel fantastic! Just wish I could run for hours on end ... it's so peaceful ...
    Last edited by MoonDance; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: used 'whether' instead of 'weather' lol
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

I try to go for a longish walk every day, because I work from home most days and need a change of scenery and some fresh air!
    I love exercise and don't have a car (ugh), so I walk or cycle to anywhere local. As there are no local gyms, I would never go if I joined one, so I have my own equipment. I have an exercise bike (donated by someone who never used it), a treadmill (donated from freecycle), some free weights and a thing for doing sit-ups. I read while on the bike and I love my daily work-out, which usually lasts about 90 minutes (I have a job where I need to read lots so the time on the bike isn't wasted). I sometimes skip days, although I feel restless if I don't get enough exercise.
    Only problem is that I currently have really sore knees. Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!
    Live and let live

RubyDuby

I'm still doing Insanity once or twice per week, but sometimes alternate with other high energy circuit training DVD's. I like to make playlists of songs that I know make me wanna move, and time them to the DVD's. It really helps me to get through the 40 minutes and actually kind of enjoy it. (not a big exercise lover)
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    When I get a house (soon I hope) I'm planning to fill my garden with various obsticles like rocks, logs, pallets etc. so I can practice bike trials in my garden.

I currently ride around to my local church to ride on the walls and stuff. I find bike trials to be such a good workout, I think it combines stretching/flexibility with stength/power exercises.

I do a few weights at home when I'm not too lazy
    I now Have my house and have a selection of pallets and wooden things to ride on...It's really great to step out into the garden and be able to practice trials.

I'm off due to injury at the moment (crashed downhilling) but looking foward to getting back into it.

I can't stand using exercise equipment indoors whether at the gym or at home.

As a cyclist I usually train outdoors regardless of the weather unless its really bad outside. If its too cold or wet outside I'll run the treadmill. For this winter I'm getting a bike trainer because it gets really cold and nasty during the winter here.

Right now I'm racing cyclocross every weekend, which is a really short (1hr) intense form of off-road bike racing so most of my weeks are about resting and working on my strengths. If I really can't get rides in I'll ride to work rather than drive. If I can get rides in I do 3-4 1 hour rides with short bits of race intensity intervals.

Rocket Queen

Yes, I do dumbells and this workout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQsRE8zMTA it's ace, only ten mins long and reeeeeeally works me!
    I run outside as well though but if I can;t be bothered with that after working a long day I do that.
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.