Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your Daily Calorie/Fat Quota

Default Re: Your Daily Calorie/Fat Quota

have you seen the Eating Disorder thread, fiamma?

sorry to hear you've been struggling. i hope things get better for you.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks for that, Gorilla, I'll check it out. Mods, feel free to move my post...

Lovely to see you fiamma

I eat small amounts and i must admit i have got worse over the last few months, i dont really feel that hungry anymore and find it hard to increase what i eat. Its hard to eat when you dont feel like it, but if you need to put on weight fiamma please try and eat one small thing extra each day and increase it over the month.

Thanks Puffin

Ah, the mysteries of the human body... I'm not underweight despite eating less calories than I should, I guess it has just got used to my daily intake. I do want to start eating more though, despite my terror of putting on weight. I must say though that the Olympics has given me an enormous boost - all those super fit and healthy bodies!!!

Yeah im loving the Olympics but its making me feel like a real slob
    Im far from underweight lol so i know what you mean. Maybe a extra bit of fruit would be good, extra goodness without feeling guilty and then add a little extra food to your plate.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i almost couldn't get into my jeans at the weekend. i haven't even been eating that badly and i've been as active as normal. i'm really worried i'm getting back into the same situation as when i was on medication before, i.e. my weight just suddenly shooting up without me realising, and then having a really hard time losing it again until coming off the meds

i've been too scared to weigh myself
    after seeing photos of myself looking huge at the London vegan fayre meet-up i decided i ought to weigh myself. i've gained a stone in the last few months i'm sure it's due to the medication i'm taking because this happened to me before - food and exercise have stayed the same but my weight's shot up.

apart from stopping the medication i don't know what i can do i eat pretty healthily as it is and hate going to the gym i feel so fat at the moment though

Though it's been a couple of months since I saw you last I can't ever imagine you actually being fat (unless you were to gain like 5 stone not 1).

Are there any non gym related exercise methods you can indulge in? Though I had several near death experiences I found cycling yesterday outdoors far more interesting than staring at music videos of 'artists' I hate in the gym.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

well, i can't ride a bike, despite trying to learn - so that's out.

i used to go swimming but the pools in Brighton are terrible, too small and always full of kids messing about, i'm not a very strong swimmer so if i go to the serious swimmers' sessions i just get in people's way and annoy them because i'm not very good.

i used to quite like tennis, but i don't have anyone to play with

i hate jogging

i haven't had much chance to practice my favourite form of exercise lately

other than that i can't think of much else

how about juggling/poi/staff?

It's not the most strenuous form of exercise and I used to think people were clutching at straws somewhat when they claimed it's good exercise, but I must say that when I was practicing daily I probably was at my fittest. It's always good to find things that are addictive so you're concentrating more on the fact that it's fun than exercise

true... but i'm really uncoordinated, i'm useless at juggling and stuff! it's hard to find something that's both active and enjoyable as far as i'm concerned.

I'm starting a new strict diet regime. I've been trying to lose weight since April and I've lost 20lbs/9kg or so. But my diet wasn't that fantastic (sometimes a lot of junk food but still relatively low calorie) and I didn't exercise. I'd like to lose another 20lbs or more.

I've reading up on calorie cycling, where you eat "high cals" one day and "low cals" the other day. I think I might give it a shot. Some days I'll have 1500 cals, some days 750(!), and one day a week is 2000. I'm also going to focus on WHOLE FOODS primarily and do a juice "fast" every Sunday (juice "fasting" as I'll probably still getting in 1000-1500 calories). Apparantly, high-low calories is suppose to boost your metabolism and trick your body into burning more calories because it's uncertain about how many calories are going to be consumed. I also plan on exercising daily and allowing myself to eat the calories I "burnt" on my low days.

I'm aiming for 70-80% carbs, 10-15% protein, and less than 15% fat.

And for those interested in The Daily Plate, it's now run through Livestrong.com, so you'll need a Livestrong.com account.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Let us know how that goes Tigerlily. I think I kind of do that 'some days high and some days low' calorie intake by accident!

Gorilla - what about a trampoline? It was really good fun at first, made me laugh so might also be good for your mood. I hate all exercise but have been able to stick with the trampoline as even after about 6 months it is still reasonably good fun and if I have my headphones on while I'm doing it the time passes quickly as I get involved in the music while I am jumping or bopping around on autopilot.
    Although I haven't tried one of those small indoor trampolines I wondered if that might be worth a try for you? I'm planning to get one for the winter.

Also what about dancing?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

hmm, i'm no good at dancing and i don't enjoy it, but the trampoline is an interesting idea. i might get bored quickly though.

What about skipping Gorilla?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i might get bored quickly though.
    I think all exercise is boring in the end but that is what your favourite tunes come in! People like us are doing it cos we have to, not for enjoyment!!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote puffin View Post
    What about skipping Gorilla?
    Naw, I say we include her
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I think all exercise is boring in the end but that is what your favourite tunes come in! People like us are doing it cos we have to, not for enjoyment!!
    I guess it depends. Like I really love martial arts and those are actually fun for me, and same with tennis (I'd do it even if there was no health benefit). Though something like running I only do for the health benefit and it's always something I force myself to do, though some people love running. Though, I'm sure some people despise all exercise. I hope you can find something you do like Gorilla. If you like tennis, maybe there a local gym offers tennis? I know some offer sports like volleyball or handball.

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Naw, I say we include her

RubyDuby

Quote Gorilla View Post
    well, i can't ride a bike, despite trying to learn - so that's out.

i used to go swimming but the pools in Brighton are terrible, too small and always full of kids messing about, i'm not a very strong swimmer so if i go to the serious swimmers' sessions i just get in people's way and annoy them because i'm not very good.

i used to quite like tennis, but i don't have anyone to play with

i hate jogging
    u sound just like me!
    too bad we dont live closer. i need somebody to play tennis with.
    If I didn't have an active job I'd never get any exercise.

i've always wanted to try those dance competition type video games. those look like fun!... but u dont like dancing. hmmm.

hula hooping/trampoline/jumping rope? to mix it up a bit?
    eta: not all at once!

and while listening to music (like marrers said) or watching a movie.

u looked great in those pics! but everybody needs some sort of exercise. and u sound dwn about it.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Surely you can't have tried every single type of exercise marrers? Maybe we should write you a list and challenge you try something different every week until you find something you enjoy?!

cobweb

well i LOVE going to the gym and i never thought i would!
    i have to steer myself away now for various reasons, so i alternate now, swimming, gym, yoga
    Gorilla have you tried doing a Yoga (or other) DVD at home?

no, yoga messes with my head, the same way meditation does. i don't know what other kinds of DVD there are apart from vacuous celebrity ones

Wii fit? Pole Dancing?

sugarmouse

Have yuo tried doing random short workouts,Gorilla?

I sometimes search through youtube for those, if they arent long enough I just do them again or do another short one. I especially like this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7zSS8hBX4

That is a lot of weight to be put on it definitly suonds as if it is a side effect of soemthing.
    Do your meds have weight gain down as a side effect?Maybe try a differnet one?I know it is a pain up the ass changing meds. I have had to do it myself few times but, it sounds as if the gain is getting you down, which can counteract the good things the meds do!
    You look great to me though, you are still v slim.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Pole Dancing?
    good lord no

thanks Sugarmouse, yeah i reckon it's a side-effect of the meds, i'm going to change brands anyway because i think these have stopped working now, although my doctor's put me back on another type that can also cause weight gain.

cobweb

btw Gorilla my G.P finally admitted last week that my meds are causing my previous extra weight gain (2 stone in a year!) and my present difficulties losing it!

and there are tons of workout DVDs out there, i just got a Tai Chi one today, but there's also kick-boxing, martial arts of all kinds, pilates, etc etc, etc............

BlackCats

Wii fit?
    I have heard good things from people about Wii Fit, it's expensive though I suppose. I did about 20 mins on my trampoline yesterday, I am really out of shape, I used to be able to do it for about 45 mins. I put my music videos on when I do it but it does get boring when you know what song is going to come on next. The only exercise I don't mind is walking because it doesn't feel like exercise.

I have wii fit but i dont like the weight thing with the chart that tells you that you have put on a pound but it looks like you have put on 5 cus it goes up so much

i don't have enough money to buy a Wii.

i don't know, nothing really appeals to me - it's hard to consider any kind of exercise fun

cobweb

gorilla (*keeping on with the nagging!*) you can also get resistance bands quite cheaply which work roughly like hand weights but are more versatile and very easy to store away, i use them in the evenings - ooh, also a gym/swiss ball to roll about on?

space hopper?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i don't have enough money to buy a Wii.

i don't know, nothing really appeals to me - it's hard to consider any kind of exercise fun
    Well, if you're wanting the benefits of exercise but don't enjoy it then you're just gonna have to look on it as a means to an end.
    We all go to (or have done) jobs we dont like for the sole purpose of earning money to pay for things we need (rent, bills etc) or may want. If exercise is so unappealing to you then just look on it as the same, something that needs to be done and, at the end of it, instead of a pay packet, it's your fitness and health thats improved instead of your bank balance.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

very true Gogs. i'll just have to think of something that i can be bothered to do on a regular basis

But there's gotta be something that's fun. Hmmm, laser tag? Paintball? There's jumping rope, pole vaulting (you could combine it with pole dancing... at least it would make the Olympic event more entertaining, long jumping, jumping hurdles, jumping motorcycles, jumping the shark....*tries to think of more fun somethings*

Vigorous sex?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    very true Gogs. i'll just have to think of something that i can be bothered to do on a regular basis
    to you too!
    I wasnae trying to be sarcy or anything, sometimes i'm exercising and thinking to myself WTF am i pushing myself like this for, it's not enjoyable, and a couch and a bag of crisps, maybe some chocolate, seems infinitely more preferable BUT as soon as i'm finished then the buzz comes and the feeling of 'It's done, I feel far better now, i could never have managed that ****** months/years ago' appears. Satisfaction.
    Then the couch and the crisps, lol!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Vigorous sex?
    i would if i could, but sadly have nobody to do it with!

i wasn't at you in particular Gogs, just at exercise in general! i never get that satisfaction after exercise, i just get a feeling of, 'bloody hell i'm knackered, what was the point of that?!'

cobweb

ooh, gogs, i agree, it seems ok to laze on the couch after you've exercised!

i have nobody for vigorous sex, either, gorilla, pity we live so far apart!

RubyDuby

what about a pedometer?
    I know it isn't execise in itself, but may be encouraging?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

BlackCats

Quote cobweb View Post
    i have nobody for vigorous sex, either, gorilla, pity we live so far apart!
    I just laughed out loud at that!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i would if i could, but sadly have nobody to do it with!

i wasn't at you in particular Gogs, just at exercise in general! i never get that satisfaction after exercise, i just get a feeling of, 'bloody hell i'm knackered, what was the point of that?!'

It's not the exercise per se that i enjoy ( apart from playing football, but that's a different matter, lol), it's the increase in accomplishment that comes with it and that takes time sadly.

I think because everything is bought and sold so quickly and easily nowadays, on TV and the media, that we include health and fitness into that as well and it just doesn't work like that( ever noticed that people that promise these dreams of a 'quick' health fix/weight loss/muscle build tend to be making a rather large amount of money out of it as well?)

Any goal you should set should be over a minimum of a month if it's an exercise you're doing daily, you may not enjoy it but see when the months up and you find you're doing 2 or 3 times the reps or working out for twice the time without tiring ,THENS when it all becomes apparent and worthwhile!

An example is i'm doing these ridiculous gymnastic strength exercises at the moment. Now, they are 2 different actions of, literally, 1 min each a day!!! Sounds like nothing but when i started them i couldn't even get into the start position of one of them, lol, let alone hold for 60 seconds. I'd do maybe 6 sets of 10 seconds and gradually build but it was far from easy, it was tiring and exhausting.
    But see the first time i managed to do both for a minute.....................all the pain became worthwhile. That's the feeling that you can't bottle and sell but it also doesn't come easy, sadly!

I think what i'm saying is if you want something fitness wise badly enough it wont happen quickly, the only way to achieve it is to push yourself from a comfort zone to get it and set reachable goals to aim for, not pleasant at the start but it's really worth it in the long run when you can see the actual gains.

'Couch and crisps' is easier though, lol!

cobweb

that is very true, Gogs, it is so satisfying to see yourself accomplishing little steps in fitness. I was scared of the Leg Press machine when i first went to the gym, now it's my favourite machine and i press 100kg on it, 10 reps, not too much trouble atall.

i was also amazed how much easier it was to start swimming again than i thought it would be because of being fitter since using the gym for a few months. My confidence has also risen, too. Plus it's a great way of showing yourself that you care about yourself, looking after your body that way .

My new plan didn't work out so well. On the internet and in my head it seemed so easy. High calories one day, low calories one day, etc. But omg, it's so hard to eat low calories. I gave up after lunch. Ha.

yeah, i find it easier to just get used to one set amount.

I haven't really lost any weight in the past month (stayed around the same), but did measure my height for the first time in years today and found that I am 3cm taller than I thought i was. Doesn't sound like a lot, but in terms of BMI makes a difference of a couple of kg less that I need to loose. Which means.... my BMI is 25.x not 26.x and I'm less than half a stone over 'normal' weight, which is very good

Of course, bmi is a load of bollocks anyway, but i am happy

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Though, I'm sure some people despise all exercise.
    I think that is me!

Quote cookey View Post
    Surely you can't have tried every single type of exercise marrers? Maybe we should write you a list and challenge you try something different every week until you find something you enjoy?!
    Lol - maybe! I have never been a sporty type, even at school I was rubbish at everything and always the last to get picked. The trampoline was fun at first but now I have to do it for 'exercise' I don't enjoy it. Also I like floating around in the water but don't enjoy actually swimming properly (in fact I can't swim well anyway).
    There seems to be something about the idea of exercise that I resist.

I bought one of those vibration plates (cheap version of the Power Plate) from a shopping channel. Not sure if it will be any benefit but I thought I could alternate it with the trampoline some days.
    I also got ankle weights for when I'm on the trampoline. I've been using wrist weights for a while.

Gorilla, maybe when the new meds kick in you will feel more positive about doing something. In the meantime don't stress about it.

I was always one of the last to be picked for sports at school too Marrers. I can't catch properly or hit things with a bat and I can't run fast or jump high. But I grew up without a car and so we walked and cycled everywhere.
    Most of my exercise now is still walking and cycling but I also do weights in the gym for about 30 mins a few times a week (this is all you need if you're doing your cardio stuff elsewhere). I also love dancing and this is the one thing I could do for hours without feeling like I'm forcing myself.
    Interestingly, Im not a fan of actually going out for a walk or ride, I can only motivate myself to use it as transport.

10 days later i'm 92.4kg, 20.9% fat and 40.7% muscle.
    1 month on I'm 89.7kg

Well done Mr F

Quote puffin View Post
    Well done Mr F
    Yep, well done...it's always nice to see the numbers getting smaller
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.