Thread: Childhood intelligence and being a vegetarian

Default Childhood intelligence and being a vegetarian

Childhood intelligence and being a vegetarian

Do bright children grow up to make healthy choices?

Evidence increasingly suggests that intelligence is associated with health and survival,1 2 3 although the reasons for this are not fully understood. To varying degrees, intelligence could mediate the long term impact of early adverse circumstances (such as overcrowding), influence the acquisition of factors that protect health, and reflect underlying biological mechanisms that regulate health. A cohort study in this week's BMJ by Gale and colleagues4 assesses whether intelligence can influence the acquisition of protective factors. In a large representative population study of more than 8000 British men and women, intelligence in childhood was associated with a vegetarian diet in mid-adulthood, and this was independent of educational attainment and social class.4
    More.

cobweb

Default Re: Childhood intelligence and being a vegetarian

i've seen reports of this nature before and they don't suprise me atall!.

littlewinker

I'm in Mensa and I first tried to become vegan when I was 9 (and thought about it for a long while before)

*looks smug*

Makes sense, all this is saying is that people that weren't very bright in childhood were less likely to go vegetarian in their teen years than those who were bright in childhood. It makes sense that more intelligent people, when making informed decisions about their diet before they've settled into lifestyle patterns, are likely to make choices that benefit their health. It's just saying that smart people make smart choices.

Most people who go vegetarian do so in their teenage years because once people get into adulthood and fall into eating patterns, they're less likely to change diets. It's perfectly natural, people don't like change because what has worked for the past 30 years for them is bound to keep working. Unfortunately, that ignores long-term problems like heart disease where once you find out about it and find out that your current diet ISN'T working, it's too late because you're on a steel slab in the morgue.