Thread: Holiday dinner in a non vegan home

Default Holiday dinner in a non vegan home

so here is the dilemma...

for Easter tomorrow, I am invited as always to my bf's family's home for dinner. the problem is that they are definitely not going to be cooking vegan. i have gone there in the past plenty of times for dinners and just avoided eating any dishes with meat, but this is the first time since becoming a vegan.

so..is it rude to bring my own food? or even more rude to just sit there and not eat anything that they have prepared?

anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this?

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Default Re: Holiday dinner in a non vegan home

I would take a vegan dish to eat yourself and share with the others, but it might be sensible to ask your bf to call his family in advance and explain that that's what you're planning to do, to avoid any awkwardness. If he does that they might be able to make some of their food vegan too, you never know.

I agree, it would be really rude not to ring them and tell them in advance that you are vegan and, "would they like you to bring a vegan dish for everyone to try".
    Otherwise everyone is going to be excruciatingly embarassed when you sit there not eating!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

yeah, that's what i thought too. maybe i will try to whip something up that i can bring with me.

hmm...then i guess today would be a good time to learn how to cook..
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

It wouldn't have to be anything too challenging. Perhaps you could just make a big salad with a variety of colourful vegetables plus nuts or beans in it? That might go down well with the others, if the family is mostly making cooked stuff.

yes, i would assume there might be pasta..and then another course with meat. i think my bf is going to call over there today just to feel it out for me.

thats a good idea with the salad. i have been making these salads lately with garlic & herb tofu in it...very yummy. maybe if i just make a huge one with lots of other added goodies.
    at least once i figure all these little things out...i will know how to handle it for the future.
    thanks for your help!