Thread: craving hemp oil!

cobweb

Question craving hemp oil!

i usually have 'cravings' for fairly un-nutritious 'foods' such as cakes or chocolates so i haven't really had a lot of faith in the theory that the body will 'crave' what it really needs before .

however, this last week i have had overwhelming cravings for hemp oil .

i almost literally sniffed it out at the shop a few days ago, and though it was £7 for a small bottle and i didn't really have enough money, i felt compelled to buy it. i am now putting it on all my food, and using it as an all-over moisturiser.

yesterday i opened the fridge and saw it there, and literally picked up the bottle to drink out of it! . i suddenly realised that wasn't a good idea and controlled myself .

it is weird - i usually take omega vegecaps and haven't bought any oil for ages. do any of you get strong cravings for healthy nutrients? .

Default Re: craving hemp oil!

How strange!! I have tried the seeds and hated them, which is a shame since they're so good for you... But £7? how much was inside that and where did you buy it from? I have good oil (they sell both filtered and unfiltered) which is from asda, it was something like £3.97 for 500mls, haven't yet tried the oil, so wish me luck!

I know what you mean about hemp oil .. its great just spread over toast etc
    Great taste too ... good thing about hemp oil is that it has omega 3 and 6 in the correct ratios for our bodies which other foods dont
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote Fungus View Post
    it has omega 3 and 6 in the correct ratios for our bodies which other foods dont
    ...and 9!! :P

cobweb

the one i bought was 250mls @ £6.66, it was 'Elmer's Original' cold pressed organic hemp oil, i will only use cold pressed.

Quote cobweb View Post
    the one i bought was 250mls @ £6.66, it was 'Elmer's Original' cold pressed organic hemp oil, i will only use cold pressed.
    good oil is also cold pressed... something to bare in mind for the future!
    btw, what difference does it make if cold pressed?

is the oil better..as in better digested or what have you, than the seeds? i get through loads of raw hemp seeds but i never saw the oil in shops or owt.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote emmapresley View Post
    is the oil better..as in better digested or what have you, than the seeds? i get through loads of raw hemp seeds but i never saw the oil in shops or owt.
    I'm not sure about digestion, but I'm sure the oil would get into the blood stream quicker.. Nutrient wise, oil would give you more omegas (seeds you would need to crush to release first anyway), whereas seeds would give you more protein.

cobweb

^ agree

i have a limted range of options for where i can buy hemp oil here - just one option i think actually! , but luckily i like the Elmer's one. I use it as a moisturiser aswell as for eating but it needs using up within 6 weeks so i'm happy with the small size bottle (even if it's dear).

IIRC, tesco's and other supermarkets have it - ' good oil ' brand in a black bottle.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Herbsman

Quote Fungus View Post
    hemp oil... has omega 3 and 6 in the correct ratios for our bodies which other foods dont
    Which would be fine if your only source of essential fatty acids was hemp seed oil.

However, (according to nutrition freaks on veganfitness.net) if you consider all the other oils that you consume in your diet, you will find that as a whole you are still consuming a greater proportion of omega 6 than you need, and not enough omega 3 in comparison.

Omega 6 is already abundant in our diets, and flax seed oil contains a higher proportion of omega 3 than hemp seed oil does. Hence, flax seed oil is supposedly a better supplement than hemp seed oil is.

hehe I like the nutrition freaks at veganfitness!

I agree that flaxseed oil/ ground flaxseeds are the way to go. But if you like hemp oil, stick with it!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

cobweb

Quote Fungus View Post
    IIRC, tesco's and other supermarkets have it - ' good oil ' brand in a black bottle.

when Tesco move in here (soon) i'll have a look, ta.

i use flax aswell when i can get it but prefer the taste of hemp and it smells nicer for my skin