Thread: so i bought flax oil... don't tell me i take it like cough syrup

Red face so i bought flax oil... don't tell me i take it like cough syrup

What do I do with this stuff? Just swallow a tablespoon full? I guess I imagined the bottle would have suggestions on it for how to ingest it. Also do I take it everyday? Right now I'm just on "vegan one multiple" vitamin but my hair seems to be losing luster so I thought I should add a little flax. help?

Default Re: so i bought flax oil...don't tell me i take it like cough syrup..

You can use flax oil in cereals, oatmeals, and salads. It's recommended to use on cold foods only since the chemical structure of the unsaturated fats can change in higher temperatures. Also, since it's a great source of omegas, it should help with your hair condition. Flax is awesome, I'd have to recommend the seeds since they're more readily absorbed and provide additional fiber. The oil grosses me out, so I prefer the seeds for that reason as well. I would NOT swallow it like cough syrup though ick. Oh and remember to keep it in the refridgerator!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote gotvegan? View Post
    Right now I'm just on "vegan one multiple" vitamin but my hair seems to be losing luster so I thought I should add a little flax. help?
    These vitamins can be very misleading. None of them, not even the really expensive ones, will be of much use if you don't have a healthy, balanced diet (boring, overused words I know!). If you're not getting plenty of fresh veg and fruit, and drinking plenty of water, then you're hair isn't going to shine.

Use vitamins as a supplement only, not instead of. When I first became vegan in the 1800's () I made the mistake of thining a pill could cure all and I was pretty lazy about my diet.

The best thing you can do for appearance of hair and nails is eat well and drink plenty.

(but of course, you might be eating a great diet anyway. )

If you don't like the taste of the flax oil you can buy gelatin-free capsules, but they work out more expensive. http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-..._capsules.html

I like the taste and put it on salads. I sometimes take it like cough syrup.

I put it on my toast, instead of margarine, and then add something else such as yeast extract. The taste does take some getting used to though and you soon notice if it's rancid - so as ella says remember to keep it in the fridge.

The only good thing I can say about the taste of flax oil is that it is a teeny-weeny bit nicer than pumpkin seed oil
    here comes the sun

I've never had pure flax oil but I mix my combination 'omega oil' with balsamic vinegar and have it on salad, or add it to cereal.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I put it in smoothies so I don't taste it at all. I also add it to salad dressings sometimes.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

cobweb

i do slurp it by the spoonful, i also do it with hemp oil (my current favourite) and/or slosh it all over my food.

i think it tastes a bit 'fishy' off the spoon..
    s'nice over salad with black pepper/lemon juice etc.

the cold pressed seeds i use with raw sweetcorn to make into a raw (dehydrated) bread, and that's nice with squished avocado on top
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I bought flax seed oil but didn't put it in the fridge (oops). Today I bravely tried taking a spoonfull but ended up throwing up....

Let's just say i dont like the taste

So I might take your advice rantipole and put it in a smoothie.

Quote clueless View Post
    I bought flax seed oil but didn't put it in the fridge (oops). Today I bravely tried taking a spoonfull but ended up throwing up....
    it was probably very rancid. doesnt keep very long even in the fridge (three weeks maybe?).
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote clueless View Post

Let's just say i dont like the taste

So I might take your advice rantipole and put it in a smoothie.
    Eww...you poor thing. Yeah, tipsy's right, it's probably rancid. The first time I tasted flaxseed oil I wasn't sure what to do with it so I took it by the spoonful...I was so grossed out. I HATE oily stuff, so I have no idea why I thought I would like it. The next day, I mixed it into pasta sauce and totally ruined the flavor of my pasta. After that, I started mixing it with water and lemon juice and drinking it like a shot, but lately I've been mixing it into smoothies. I'd definitely recommend following rantipole's advice on smoothies.

Quote tipsy View Post
    it was probably very rancid. doesnt keep very long even in the fridge (three weeks maybe?).
    Thanks Tipsy. On the back it says consume within 3 months. But I've probably ruined it now lol.

Default Re: so i bought flax oil... don't tell me i take it like cough syrup

flax oil is totally gross imo. it ruins the flavour of anything it touches. i use the powder, which tastes better, or take a capsule.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I tried this stuff by the spoonful, and felt like gagging - i don't think it was gone off or anything - but having a spoonful of any oil would probably have the same effect!

I'd rather have olive oil! I can just about swallow a spoonful of flax seed oil without gagging, but I think if I got any again I'd go down the salad dressing route.

I've had year old mixed omega oil by the spoonful before - tasted fine to me

the "good oil" (tescos sell it) - some hemp mixture is pretty tasty - much nicer than linseed in my opinion - kinda nutty

Yeah hempseed oil is nice, it does taste nutty and can easily be poured onto salads.
    if your worried about your hair in particular you could try MSM which is a natural source of sulphur.
    since I started taking MSM pills my hair has grown more in last few months than it has in last ten years!!
    http://www.foryourhealth.co.uk/store...id=104&catID=2
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

exec

For all these oils like olive oil and flax oil, is it better to take them raw like cough syrup, put in salads, or to use them in cooking?

Definately raw and in salads preferably rather than just take them staright off the spoon!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Quote exec View Post
    For all these oils like olive oil and flax oil, is it better to take them raw like cough syrup, put in salads, or to use them in cooking?
    Never use them in cooking, because it destroys the oil and makes them bad for you. Always eat em raw!

I always buy flax oil and flax seeds, but I never use them! I hate the taste and the texture of the ground seeds makes me want to gag. I have gotten samples of hemp seeds from the health food store and it's much nicer but pricier.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

hey,im new so still tryin to get the hang of this site...so many posts and reading all the great advice you guys give out.
    i brought flax oil and the seeds a while ago,didnt say anything on the bottle about keeping it in the fridge so i didnt,tried it on its own and didnt like it (i can drink most things if i know there are doing me good..i.e drank olive oil before on a detox wkend),so threw it out... i much perfer the seeds and i find that they are nice on cereal. i may try the oil again and follow your advice and add it to my drinks.

I bought whole flax seeds from Trader Joe's and ground them down with my father's coffee grinder. I haven't thought of anything to put it on, as I don't like the peanutty taste on my food. I hate nuts in food. Maybe you can do what I did and stick it in shakes and stuff.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I have taken both flaxseed oil and hemp oil over long periods of time, and I MUCH prefer hemp seed oil or flax. Not only does it taste revolting, I've noticed that flax is not good on my stomach and digestion, it has at times given me diarrhea. Also nutrition wise hemp oil has omega 3-6-9 in the ratio needed for your body (which i assume most of you already knew!!). Since I don't like an oily mouth I bought a baby medicine syringe from boots and make sure it goes straight down my throat... does the trick

I just bought the seeds. In Australia they're called linseeds. They are MUCH better than the oil, even though the oil would be more dense with omega 3, the seeds are very mild in taste in comparison and i HATED the taste of the oil. So i recommend the seeds for anyone who doesn't like the taste of the oil. But they're hard to crush lol.

Flaxseed oil = VILE

I use omega 3 margarine on bread. Walnuts also have omega 3 so you can snack on these...

Quote clueless View Post
    I just bought the seeds. In Australia they're called linseeds. They are MUCH better than the oil, even though the oil would be more dense with omega 3, the seeds are very mild in taste in comparison and i HATED the taste of the oil. So i recommend the seeds for anyone who doesn't like the taste of the oil. But they're hard to crush lol.
    On a side note to this, the omega 3 in linseeds aren't actually bioavailable until crushed, so if you swallow them whole and drink of water, you will only get the effect of the fibre, not the omega 3..

Quote hiddenfromview View Post
    On a side note to this, the omega 3 in linseeds aren't actually bioavailable until crushed, so if you swallow them whole and drink of water, you will only get the effect of the fibre, not the omega 3..
    Yes I did try to crush them but it's amazingly difficult. I managed to get a few crushed. But i still think crushing them is worth it when I think of that horrible oil taste I think next time I might try blending them with something... hopefully that works. I was thinking of making some ice cream sticks w/mashed banana, soy milk, agave or maple syrup and flax seeds.

exec

What kind of oil do we have out in the market? Canola, olive, corn, flax, coconut, etc. I mean what else? And is there any effort done on comparing the pros and cons amongst these oils?

Clue, I just wanted to point out that you can grind up the flaxseeds to increase their bioavailability by using a flaxseed grinder or coffee grinder. I got mine at a kitchen supplies store for about US$10.

Exec, I think we're focusing on comparing oils for their omega 3/ omega 6/ omega 9 content and ratios. The oils you've mentioned certainly do have some nutritional value, but I'd stick with ground flaxseed or hempseed for omega content.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote exec View Post
    What kind of oil do we have out in the market? Canola, olive, corn, flax, coconut, etc. I mean what else? And is there any effort done on comparing the pros and cons amongst these oils?
    There are one or two older threads dicussing different types of oils for cooking purposes, e.g.

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13359

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Clue, I just wanted to point out that you can grind up the flaxseeds to increase their bioavailability by using a flaxseed grinder or coffee grinder. I got mine at a kitchen supplies store for about US$10.
    Thanks for the tip! I asked my mum and turns out we have an unused coffee grinder so I might just try that.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I've had year old mixed omega oil by the spoonful before - tasted fine to me
    But thats cause your a freak!!!
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Quote clueless View Post
    Yes I did try to crush them but it's amazingly difficult. I managed to get a few crushed. But i still think crushing them is worth it when I think of that horrible oil taste I think next time I might try blending them with something... hopefully that works. I was thinking of making some ice cream sticks w/mashed banana, soy milk, agave or maple syrup and flax seeds.
    There's a recipe for cupcakes using ground flaxseed as an egg replacer in Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World (they're lychee cupcakes)....but IMO there was WAY too much flaxseed in the cupcakes. They tasted really flax-y and heavy! Anyway, it's an idea if you want to mix them into something...although cupcakes might negate the positive health effects of the omegas in flax.

Why would anyone drink oil straight? You eat it with food. It's good. I love it. I can't say it's done anything for my hair, though.

I mixed together soy milk, mashed banana, strawberry, dates (for sweetness - could also use agave/maple) and chopped flax seeds and I froze it in some icy pole moulds. It worked!! They tasted NOTHING like flax and it's quite healthy.

I want to try that smoothie...

I make a saladdressing with flax seed oil, mustard, chilli, safflower oil, garlic, lime jucie and so on and have it over my salads. The mustard removes the flax oil taste (at least for me).

Or in soups ... mmmm. (Just one teaspoon, after its cooked)

Or I take it like caugh syrup and drink some juice after to get rid of the yukky aftertaste.

I like to add the ground flax to smoothies. It makes it thicker and doesn't really taste like flax. I only add a spoonful of the ground flax to my smoothies.
    Peace, love, and happiness.