Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canned or fresh?

Default canned or fresh?

I read an article in today's Qld Sunday Mail that refers to a Harvard School of Public Health report confirming that tomato products are a better source of lycopene than fresh tomatoes. Seems the heat processing of canned foods causes the lycopene to be better absorbed by the body. Actually I've also read recently that tomato sauce has more nutriment than tomatoes. Where does this leave the rawfoodists?

The article also refers to the current age of 'orthorexia nervosa' - a 'disease' coined to illustrate the almost religious obsession with 'pure' eating that many people have - rather like the 'organic' purists. But there is a groundswell of evidence that frozen and/or canned fruit and vegies rate high in the taste test too, plus a 16 percent cost saving. I use very few canned foods, but always canned chickpeas to make homus, and canned beans of various types - it is easier and quicker. I also prefer frozen spinach because I don't know how long the fresh spinach has been wilting at the greengrocers.
    Eve

tails4wagging

does the research show that any aluminium from tins can get absorbed by the the food then into our bodies?. I seem to remember some years ago, a bit of a scare about that??

Quote eve
    I read an article in today's Qld Sunday Mail that refers to a Harvard School of Public Health report confirming that tomato products are a better source of lycopene than fresh tomatoes. Seems the heat processing of canned foods causes the lycopene to be better absorbed by the body. Actually I've also read recently that tomato sauce has more nutriment than tomatoes. Where does this leave the rawfoodists?
    I heard about this too...I love canned tomatoes, tomato puree and tomato sauce so this is good news for me!!!! I tend to eat more fresh tomatoes though, just coz I do...

I don't use canned beans very often just because dried beans are much cheaper and they really don't take that much effort (just soaking and boiling)

In some cases, processed food is more concentrated, less watery, and therefore have higher concentrations of certain nutrients, due to the boiling process. In the tomato example, if one should make a soup with tomato sauce or tomato pure, one would most likely add more water than if using fresh tomatoes. And when adding water to the canned tomatoes, the amount of nutrients pr. serving would be less that in the sauce or puree anyway, so the final meal might contain as little (or less) nutrient than if it was made with fresh tomatos.

Cooking food changes the chemistry of what you cook, and I can't see any reason why the end result never should contain more of one useful nutrient or another. I'm not living on pure raw food myself - but feel than more raw food in most cases, for most people, at least for me, is better.

Regarding religious food obsessions, I think it is likely that that the more pure, raw or organic a diet is, the more it potentially could attract people with eating disorders or neurotic obsessions. So many people could go organic, raw or vegan for the 'wrong' reasons.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

TeeHee, the bit about 'religious food obsessions' made me chuckle, that's exactly how many of my friends and family have described Veganism!!

Quote Korn
    Regarding religious food obsessions, I think it is likely that that the more pure, raw or organic a diet is, the more it potentially could attract people with eating disorders or neurotic obsessions. So many people could go organic, raw or vegan for the 'wrong' reasons.
    Korn I couldn't agree more - I do suffer with anorexia nervosa and although my veganism is NOT eating disorder based, occassionally during difficult periods I will try to control my diet by going organic or 'wholefoods'. I also have experienced people who are inclined to be eating disorder minded and when they learn of my veganism they always want to adopt it, thinking that is why I am skinny. I quickly inform them of the abundant existance of vegan chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cakes, desserts and flavoured milks etc, and they soon change their mind - veganism itself is not restrictive - any diet is restrictive if you deprive yourself of the things you like coz you want to lose weight.

Very few people, I imagine could be happy being 100% raw - I am not implying that all raw-foodists or whole-foodists have eating disorders (think our beloved CC for example), but food is too social these days and lets face it - most of us enjoy sugary, gooey, doughey, salty, greasy food once in a while (come on guys admit it )

Can it , a pdf from the ethical consumer is an interesting little read, and relevant to this thread.

Quote Banana
    most of us enjoy sugary, gooey, doughey, salty, greasy food once in a while (come on guys admit it )

i admit it! i love greasy salty gooey foods! (sugar isnt my weakness, and i usually cant eat doughy things LOL)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

i know this doesnt apply to tomatoes but isnt frozen foods better nutritionally than canned as the food has to be frozen within a certain time limit and so this cuts out the amount of time that it can deteriorate before canning?

sometimes depending on where the food comes from, frozen may definately be better nutrition-wise and air-miles wise.

Fresh vegetables are more healthy than canned vegetables in the long -run. The factor that determines our age is how many many free radicals of oxygen we have in our bodies. Free radicals of oxygen are harmful but by eating fresh vegetables (especially tomato) we can reduce the amount of free radicals that we have, and therefore pro-long our lives.
    You see, oxygen is gas that likes to exist in pairs (02), as we get older our body loses its ability to combine the oxgen and so we have more single oxygen particles than we would if we were younger. Fresh vegetables (grown with natural substances as fertilisers e.g. manure) contain anti-oxygens which mop up the singe oxygens and help us to live longer.

This is what my biology teacher and I were discussing last friday. She has a book about it, and is going to show it to me next lesson. So I'll know more about it next friday

"The article also refers to the current age of 'orthorexia nervosa' - a 'disease' coined to illustrate the almost religious obsession with 'pure' eating that many people have - rather like the 'organic' purists."

I can't believe they actually made up a "disease" to describe the people who only want to eat NORMAL unsprayed, unprocessed food...wait considering how ridiculous our system of medicine is I do believe it. Wouldn't want too many people being free from chemicals and junk food now would we? Not much profit in that!

Some more comments related to the fresh/canned issue:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...0068#post20068

As you can see, there is disagreement about how much vitamins that gets lost during cooking and storing... What I know, is that I think fresh juice, hummus or pesto has a better taste than their canned equivalents.

Quote Korn
    What I know, is that I think fresh juice, hummus or pesto has a better taste than their canned equivalents.
    Aye

Quote casey_veggoddes
    "The article also refers to the current age of 'orthorexia nervosa' - a 'disease' coined to illustrate the almost religious obsession with 'pure' eating that many people have - rather like the 'organic' purists." I can't believe they actually made up a "disease" to describe the people who only want to eat NORMAL unsprayed, unprocessed food...wait considering how ridiculous our system of medicine is I do believe it. Wouldn't want too many people being free from chemicals and junk food now would we? Not much profit in that!
    They didn't make up a disease, it is a term used ironically to describe those people who insist on orthodoxy whether in relation to raw foods, organic, etc.
    If you want to eat *normal* unsprayed unprocessed food, perhaps you could tell me where to buy it. What unprocessed foods do you actually consume?

Green Envy, I suggest you ask your biology teacher for chapter and verse before writing about 'anti oxygens' and living longer. I agree with cedar blue that frozen is preferable to canned, as the freezing is carried out almost immediately the food is picked. That's why I like frozen spinach. But as to the canned chickpeas etc - I make a delicious homus using canned chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and a little olive oil. It is far superior to the sort that is sold in little plastic cartons at the supermarket.

The point is that one can't always go shopping every day for fresh fruit and veggies, and even if that were possible, how do we know that the produce is freshly picked every day?
    Eve

I've also noticed that hummus made of canned chick peas is more tasty than canned hummus.

I think that I've never heard anyone say 'you should eat less fresh vegetables, and more canned food'. But I have heard that some nutrients are more easily available after cooking, like the lycopene in tomatoes. Getting a good overview of what is healthy and not requires a lot of knowledge, and I think we all would like it to become a little simpler than it is, by saying that ******* always is better than ******... But very few things in life are black or white.

According to Dr. Sears: 'generally, the less processing, the better. In nutrient value, fresh is better than frozen, and frozen is better than canned. But there are many exceptions. Much depends upon the time between harvesting, and freezing, and canning. A vegetable that is frozen or canned hours after harvesting may contain more vitamins than a fresh veggie that has had to travel across the country to market. There are various nutritional tradeoffs from packaging and processing. For example, canned and frozen vegetables contain more sodium. Frozen broccoli may contain more beta carotene, since the stalks have been removed, leaving only the florets in the package, but it will have less calcium and more sodium.'

I'll post a chart showing how much of certain nutrients that are lost during canning / freezing later.

Wink Hash Browns

Hi All,
    This is my first post. I agree with Eve, cooking unlocks nutrients in foods such as chickpeas, soybeans, lentils etc that otherwise would be inedible to humans (forget tofu, tempeh for example, without cooking). That's not to say raw salad veggies, fruit etc are not very good for you - of course they are. Everything in balance and moderation (except dark chocolate!).

What isn't so good for you, but tastes pretty good anyway, are the Hash Browns I bought from the frozen section of the supermarket yesterday. They used to be made with beef tallow, but now are cooked in sunflower oil. Vegan Hash Browns - yum! I cooked them with sweet corn and a huge bunch of steamed veg, plus fried veg sausages. Very nice!
    Regards,
    Tom

Quote eve
    They didn't make up a disease, it is a term used ironically to describe those people who insist on orthodoxy whether in relation to raw foods, organic, etc.
    If you want to eat *normal* unsprayed unprocessed food, perhaps you could tell me where to buy it. What unprocessed foods do you actually consume?
    You sound like you were somehow offended by my statement, which I really don't understand. I was just expressing my opinion that people who chose to eat only organic or even only raw foods are not in any way shape or form suffering from some sort of mental disorder. Whether they were "ironically" or literally calling those people that doesn't really make a difference to me. The same could be said about vegans who chose not to eat any animal products, I'm sure if it was used in that context it would have been offensive to most people here. I don't think labeling people in such ways is appropriate.

Unsprayed foods are organic foods. Unprocessed foods are things like plain brown rice, plain whole wheat couscous, and of course fresh fruits and veggies. Minimally processed foods is what I try to buy, stuff like Amy's brand, where there's nothing unnatural added, and also frozen organic produce would fall under that category. These are just my personal definitions, but I hope that answers your question.

Quote gertvegan
    Can it , a pdf from the ethical consumer is an interesting little read, and relevant to this thread.
    Thank you gertvegan. I haven't finished reading it yet as it is rather lengthy, but it is certainly on my list to read. PS: The initial paragraph doesn't make happy reading for me!
    Eve

casey_veggoddes, my apologies if you were offended by my post. It is also my aim to use minimally processed foods - to say unprocessed is drawing a long bow these days. Even, for example, plain whole wheat couscous is not unprocessed, though the wheat grains may be! Amy's brand I don't know as it isn't available here in Australia. Fresh fruits and veggies comprise the major part of my diet, though 'fresh' is in doubt because there's no indication as to how long the items have spent being transported to the regional town where I live, nor how long they have been at the greengrocer's shop. We do the best we can, but when it comes to leafy green veggies, it's the frozen products that I buy (they are fresher).
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

I have just been reading part of my 'Self Reliance' book, which says that , if we all ate a large amount of fresh 'sprouts' each day (which any of us can grow indoors), then we could live quite healthfully, and cheaply, if the rest of our diet was made up of dried Pulses and Grains, and a little fresh juice.
    I love sprouts, but hadn't realised how much Protein they contain, I will definitely be growing more now.

Default A bit of everything

This is surely an interesting and informative discussion. I remember sharing a ski lift at Heavenly Valley once with an agriculturist who stated that frozen vegetables are more nutritious than fresh produce from the supermarket because the storing and transporting will degrade the product more than field processing for freezing.

So I generally go for frozen spinach, peas, and lima beans. Kale, brocolli, mushrooms, sprouts, carrots, etc., I prefer fresh organic stock. They hold up well and these days are much fresher in the store.

Canned tomatoes are good. Even the best vine ripe ones I can find are not generally as good and real expensive too. Modern cans have a synthetic coating so the food is completely uneffected. The lush rich redness of Muir organic crushed tomatos is unbelievable, like you just picked the ripe ones yourself. For cooking and sauce purposes.

As for the legumes, I read somewhere years ago that overnight soaking would begin the growth process - turn on the vital center. Not enough to change the carbs to sugars or start growing, but switch them on and make the food vital. So I usually soak the hard beans for about 18-24 hours.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I have just been reading part of my 'Self Reliance' book, which says that , if we all ate a large amount of fresh 'sprouts' each day (which any of us can grow indoors), then we could live quite healthfully, and cheaply, if the rest of our diet was made up of dried Pulses and Grains, and a little fresh juice.
    I love sprouts, but hadn't realised how much Protein they contain, I will definitely be growing more now.

who is the author pinky? and the full title please??

PinkFluffyCloud

Cedarblue, the book is called 'Self Reliance, A Recipe For the New Millenium', by John Yeoman, published by 'Permanent Publications'.
    I bought it 'nearly new' off Amazon UK.

The book is easy to follow, and covers everything from how to get out of debt, how to make and grow your own foods, and how to make your own tools, etc. I have to say that it does include a small section on fishing/catching your own food, though the author doesn't seem to be in complete approval (shame he included it then!!) - and it is still worthwhile for all its other information.

Do you guys know anything about Dr. Norman W. Walker? I don't, but he was an active spokesman for Juice Therapy, and he emphasized that the juices always should be fresh. He lived until he was 119, and wrote his last book when he was 115.

Here is what I found at http://www.yourlifesource.com/upfold..._vitamins.htm:

ARE VITAMIN PILLS THE SAME AS THE VITAMINS IN FOOD?

Vitamins and nutrition have become hot topics these days. News media, books, health food stores and advertising campaigns are educating us about why we need vitamins and minerals. It is encouraging to see an increased realization of the role nutrients play in preventative health-care and in helping the body to heal itself with a strengthened immune system.

But we get a lot of misinformation on this subject from those who profit from the manufacture, distribution or advertising of the multi-billion dollar synthetic vitamin and processed foods industries. Let's take a look at what modern science knows about nutrition, what we are being told about nutrition, what we are not being told about nutrition... and why:

On Apples and Oranges
    The result of the influence from the big business of synthetic vitamins and processed food is a neglect of any distinction between natural vitamins and synthetic vitamins. For example, we are generally not told there is any difference between the Vitamin C in a fresh apple or orange versus the Vitamin C in a pharmaceutically-manufactured, synthetic pill, or synthetic vitamins added to "enrich" or "fortify" processed foods, such as white bread and sugar-coated cereal.

In most of this mass-disseminated wisdom of modern medical science, you also find no distinction between nutrients that are dead and nutrients that are alive. We are told to eat our fruits and vegetables, but we are not told there is a difference between a fresh, living, raw carrot and one that has been boiled, baked, steamed, radiated... or processed, preserved and canned on a grocery shelf.

Living Organisms
    Another point overlooked is the essential fact that our body is a living organism made of living cells that are constantly regenerating... and that living cells need living food to create healthy new living cells. Scientists understand and accept the fact that the life of our body stems from the life of some 100 trillion living cells that are constantly regenerating. It is estimated that 300 million cells are replaced in our body every minute.

We know the food we eat, the liquids we drink and the air we breathe provide the energy and the building blocks for this massive, ongoing rebuilding of cells. We know that raw vegetables and fruits are composed of living cells, and that the cells of these fruits and vegetables contain the same organic minerals, natural vitamins, living enzymes and assimiable protein that our cells need. We also know that cooking, freezing, radiating or processing kills food, stopping its cellular activity... and that once we have taken the life from food, there is nothing we can do that can restore that life. This irreversible change alters amino acids (protein) and minerals, and destroys all enzymes and most vitamins.

But despite what we know, there are those who would like us to believe processed foods are as beneficial to us as raw, living food, and that synthetic vitamins in pills and processed foods are as good as natural vitamins in raw food. The truth is that modern science knows relatively little about the long-term effects of how man-made chemicals and altered natural substances interact with our bodies on the cellular level. Warnings have been issued about the dangers of high doses of synthetic Vitamin C, B1 and A, and similar problems are suspected with synthetic Vitamin E. It's possible that a short-term boost may be felt from some synthetic vitamins. But let's address the question of whether they can take the place of living nutrients in supplying material for our cells to function, regenerate new living cells and build a healthy immune system.

There appear to be three schools of thought on this comparison between natural nutrients in fresh, raw food versus synthetic vitamins and inorganic minerals.

The first school is characterized by a total silence on the subject of any distinction between natural and synthetic. They'll say a pill has X number of international units of certain vitamins, and they may say what these vitamins are good for. You may notice one of these little pills has a lot more Vitamin C than an apple or orange. But they make no claim about whether X amount of synthetic Vitamin C is as good as the same amount of Vitamin C in oranges. They also avoid the subject of whether a person could live healthily on synthetic vitamins alone without ever consuming natural vitamins in food.

The second school of thought includes "experts" who recommend synthetic vitamin supplements, but warn we should also eat a balanced diet. Some of these experts acknowledge food is a more "reliable source" of nutrients than vitamins found in pills. But they don't explain the difference, and they still say we should take the synthetic supplements, just in case we don't get enough nutrients in our diet.

The third school of thought is a minority opinion.. This school teaches that there is a major difference between live food and dead food (or live nutrients and dead nutrients), and that the living cells in our bodies are designed to be nourished by live food and live nutrients, rather than dead, processed food and synthetic vitamins.

Science has substantiated the superior nutritional value of raw fruits and vegetables, but this emphasis on live foods is still a minority opinion among nutritionists and even in the health food business. From almost every direction, we are told that cooked, frozen and processed food is comparable to fresh, raw food, and that synthetic vitamins can fill our nutritional needs.

How could we ever comprehend an explanation for this tremendous lapse in mass-disseminated scientific knowledge if we didn't consider the fact that there is more money to be made from selling synthetic vitamins and processed foods than from raw, live food that can be grown in a backyard garden.

A book from six decades ago is more advanced than some of the latest scientific work with vitamins. Dr. Norman W. Walker wrote Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices in 1936, with the premise that a deficiency of vitamins, minerals and enzymes is the primary cause of practically all sickness. Dr. Walker was seriously ill in his early 50's when he was encouraged to try natural healing. He went on to develop the concept of healing with fresh vegetable and fruit juices, and lived to be 119 years old, writing his last book at age 115. Dr. Walker taught all healing and regeneration of the body must come from within. Hippocrates, the Fourth Century B.C. Greek physician who is the Father of Medicine, based his teachings on this same principle. To best nourish our immune system, Dr. Walker taught we should eat a vegetarian diet composed predominately of fresh, raw vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts. He agreed with nutritionists who say it is difficult to get optimal amounts of some nutrients from eating food. Advocates of synthetic vitamins use this as an argument for taking mega-doses of vitamin pills. Dr. Walker's teachings are more advanced than these modern nutritionists because he recognized the difference between live nutrients and dead nutrients.

Dr. Walker developed Juice Therapy as a means of consuming more nutrients than can be obtained by eating food. In drinking fresh juice, nutrients come from live, raw vegetables and fruits, without heating, freezing or other processing that would alter or destroy nutrients. When juice is separated from the pulp (or fiber), most of the nutrients from these raw vegetables and fruits stay in the juice, while the pulp is expelled and discarded. Without the pulp, the nutrients can go directly to the blood stream and to the cellular level without the time and energy-consuming process of digestion. And because the pulp has been removed, we can consume a much larger quantity of nutrients than would be possible by eating that same food. For example, we can consume nutrients from a pound of raw carrots in minutes by drinking an 8-fluid-ounce glass of carrot juice.

Contrasting Juice Therapy with synthetic nutrients, Dr. Walker states, "One pint of carrot juice, daily, has more constructive body value than 25 pounds of calcium tablets." He notes the calcium in pasteurized milk "is just as inorganic as that used in making cement."

Medical science knows we need calcium to build strong bones, but we also know the inorganic calcium we put into our bodies can form kidney stones, gall stones, tumors and calcium deposits in joints, while leaving our bones deficient in calcium. This paradox could be explained if orthodox medical science would acknowledge the difference between inorganic calcium (which our bodies can't use) and organic calcium (found, for example, in raw carrots or green, leafy vegetables.)

Dr. Walker, a doctor of science, was among the first to differentiate between organic and inorganic minerals. He offered an example to explain this distinction simple enough for a six-year-old to understand. Dr. Walker noted the Earth is full of minerals, but the only source of organic minerals our bodies can assimilate is from plants. We know we can't eat a scoop of dirt and get nutrition from minerals in the earth. That's because these minerals are inorganic. The only means of turning inorganic minerals from the earth into organic minerals we can assimilate is through plants and their photosynthesis. Plants take in these dead, inorganic minerals through their roots and transform them into living, organic minerals we can use. Heat from cooking returns these minerals to their dead, inorganic form.

In their book, Living Health, Harvey and Marilyn Diamond emphasize: "It is physiologically impossible for your body to use an inorganic mineral... Anyone who knows biochemistry and physiology knows this to be true - chemically an organic mineral is the same as an inorganic one. But there the similarities cease" , because inorganic minerals have not been organically processed by plants.

Nutrients Don't Work Alone
    Modern science is also learning more about the ways in which minerals, vitamins, amino acids and enzymes work together, and in relationship with other factors, ranging from pH (acidity and alkalinity) to stress. The more we know about nutrients, the more we realize they don't work on their own as isolated chemical compounds. Minerals in their natural form (in raw foods), are always combined with specific amino acids, and sometimes with vitamins, in a process known as chelation. Our bodies are designed to consume minerals in chelated form.

Amino acids and enzymes also have a vital working relationship. While amino acids (which make up protein) provide building material for our cells, enzymes are the life forces that do the building. Promoters of synthetic vitamins and processed foods don't talk much about enzymes, because they are found only in living organisms (including raw food). Enzymes are a vital element of nutrition. They are the catalyst for all chemical changes in our body, such as digestion of food, sending oxygen from the lungs to our blood and cells, body movement, synthesizing proteins from amino acids to make muscle, and even thinking. Vitamins and minerals work together to help these enzymes function, and are sometimes referred to as "co-enzymes", Those who depend solely on cooked food and synthetic vitamins for nutrition will be deficient in enzymes.

We also know some nutrients are necessary for the absorption of other nutrients, but modern science has just begun to discover the interrelationships that exist between these nutrients. So, our goal should be to ensure that our body has a sufficient, balanced supply of all necessary nutrients in natural form, rather than focusing on just one specific vitamin.

A lot of things, I buy frozen and a lot I get fresh. I don't get canned that often.

I, too believe that a lot of frozen produce is better than canned and in some things, are better than fresh. I'm lucky enough to have a greengrocer that carries some local foods but the rest is imported from other places. I don't like my food travelling more than I do, so I get frozen where I can. Beans, refried beans, tomatoes, olives and my husband's chili sauce are the only canned items I get anymore. Everything else is from my deep-freeze unless I can get it at the produce place and I know it's local. Then, I'll get fresh.

Korn, I would be very interested to see that chart of yours.

Default Frozen junk food

Re vegan Hash Browns - I believe they are McCain brand, and you find them in the frozen section of the supermarket (check labels of course!). I have recently bought some McCain's Potato Nuggets, and they also are vegan and very more-ish!

Re organic food - great if people want to bother. I don't have much access to organic produce where I live, and I just don't have the time to shop around, working 2 jobs, and with 2 kids. Remember too that organic doesn't mean VEGANic, and most likely some animal-based fertiliser has been used to grow the produce. As an ethical vegan, I still see organic food as essentially a personal choice thing, and as a side issue to the main game of trying to get non-veggos to eat more vegan food. What do others think?
    Tom

Quote Kiva Dancer
    Korn, I would be very interested to see that chart of yours.
    The list is from a book about homocysteine (called 'The Heart Revolution', by Kilmer S. McCully, M.D., and Martha McCully on Harper Perennial):

Some excerpts:
    Losses of B6 through various processes:
    Root vegetables / canning: -63%
    Beans & peas / canning: -77%
    Green vegetables / canning: -57%
    Beans & peas / freezing: -56%
    Green vegetables / freezing: -37%
    Fruits & juices / freezing: -15%
    Fruits & juices / canning: -38%

Loss of B6 from processing of grains:
    Whole wheat / made it into white flour: -82%
    Whole wheat / made into cake flour: -86%
    Brown rice / made into white rice: -69%
    Brown rice / made into precooked rice: -94%
    Raw corn / made into white cornmeal: -87%
    Raw corn / made into yellow cornmeal: -47%

Losses of Folic Acid ( = vitamin B9) through food processing:
    Raw corn / made into yellow or white cornmeal: -62%
    Whole wheat / made into white flour: -79%
    Brown rice / polished into white rice: -20 %
    Fresh asparagus / canning: -75%
    Lima beans / canning: -62%
    Green beans / canning: -57%
    Beets / canning: -72%
    Corn / canning: -73%
    Mushrooms / canning: -84%
    Chickpeas / canning: -37%
    Green peas / canning: -55%
    Tomatoes / canning: -54%
    Spinach / canning: -35%
    Fresh vegetables / freezing: -10-15%

Default Produce

Well, this list certainly motivates one to use fresh organic unprocessed foods, if not already doing so. Is it no wonder that processed flour and canned food ruin one's health and vitality? You are what you eat allright. I heard a lady on the bus this morning comment that she had so little energy. I had already observed a flesh fed being with that paleness typical of processed food. She had a Bush button too.

I can remember seeing some really pathetic looking and expensive produce at certain store years ago. Couldn't afford it anyway so I went for the commercial and frozen varieties.

These days I have a Wild Oats store not far and get really fine organic produce where feasable. And at least they locate the produce in the opposite corner of the place from the fish-cheese-meat coolers.

I had gotten off-track for a while (no meat though), putting on the belly, and feeling wasted and unmotivated. Today I'm starting to feel alive again. That's why I'm here on this forum. To keep it that way this time.

At my stage in life I might not get another chance.
    I am a tangerine ;)

ConsciousCuisine

Quote PinkFluffyCloud

Yup! That's why I listed them as my "favorite protein" on the "what's your favorite protein?" thread...oz. per oz. they have more usable protein than cooked animal products!

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Yup! That's why I listed them as my "favorite protein" on the "what's your favorite protein?" thread...oz. per oz. they have more usable protein than cooked animal products!
    I am still struggling to grow them straight, so I can harvest them easily, CC.
    I am using a small propagator - tips, please?

I LOVE eating sprouts, now, if mine are no good I buy fresh ones at a local(ish!) health store. How did I live without them???

Interesting list Korn, but I wonder what the percentage loss is for products over time (spent in packaging, loading and unloading, lying on the shelves, often up to a week, and then in the fridge crisper for a couple of days? Also, B6 which we don't need much of, and folic acid, can be easily compensated for in a tablet if anyone is concerned. Unlike Chakra, I'm not motivated to use "fresh organic unprocessed foods" - especially as where I live, the organic stuff stays on the shelves the longest! Personally I believe that vegans can be quite obsessed with food.
    Eve

I think that a common mistake among most people who have decided that they are pro or against something, is that we easily can fall into the trap of hunting for and focus on facts that confirm what we already have decided that we believe in. Personally, I think fresh food in most cases taste a lot better than non-fresh food, and, like I mentioned, that ie. freshly made hummus (even from canned chick peas) is more delicious than canned hummus. So it's easy for me to believe that, and look for facts that confirm that fresh food is more healthy than stored food. But I also can see that as a fan of both fresh and organic/veganic food, not all organic food is really organic (let alone veganic!!), and that not all 'fresh' food is fresh.

For me personally, it just feels more right to eat non-canned food and not need to compensate for it with supplements than to eat canned food + a pill: While it's true that not all 'fresh' food is fresh, canned food is never fresh....

I think taste is an important decision maker for most of us. For example, if I drink a glass of fresh orange juice, and then drink non-fresh orange juice immediately afterwards, the non-fresh juice just tastes so... not fresh. But if I drink non-fresh orange juice without drinking fresh orange juice just before it, sometimes it feels very refreshing (if it's of the right kind. I think most canned juices always taste a bit 'old').

Nutrient-wise, I'm sure it's correct that canned food often is canned when the food is fresh, and therefore, in some cases, can contain a lot of nutrients even after being stored for a while. Some plants, like tomatoes, are also sometimes cooked for a very long time (like 2 hours!) to achieve a certain taste - maybe the plants that taste good even after a lot of cooking are the same plants that contain nutrients that are more easily absorbed when cooked?

From my little experience with growing ie. corn, strawberries and tomatoes, there's a HUGE difference in taste between homegrown plants grown with no artificial fertilizers and the stuff you get in the regular supermarkets. I have never tasted any corn even remotely close to as delicious as the corn I've grown myself. They were even a lot more tasty than the organic corn I bought from a farmer near by - the corn I bought from him was freshly picked, but picked in the end of the season....

I don't think we're all meant to walk around naked and eat leaves of the trees all our lives; nature is great, but culture/cultivation is useful too. (Besides, I like cooked and some stored/canned food.) But I do notice that I'm becoming more and more like my 4 year old son: he prefers raw carrots rather than cooked, and enjoys cooked beans a lot more if I wrap them in a large, green lettuce leaf for him. He thinks it's much more enjoyable to eat an apple straight from an apple tree than to buy it in the store, and he likes fresh strawberries a lot better than frozen ones. But neither of us are eating raw potatoes...

To me, a one week old garlic still can taste good, while a cooked potato that has stayed two days in the fridge doesn't. I just trust that taste doesn't only exists for pleasure, it's also a hint about the quality and nutritiousness of the food.

Not that it's something wrong with eating something just because it's tasty. If I like raspberry jam, I like it even if it's just good, and even if it's less nourishing than fresh raspberries. Besides, it's winter where I live, and no fresh raspberries around!

Quote eve
    Personally I believe that vegans can be quite obsessed with food.
    I definately have that tendency - I am trying to stop it, by not eating extravigantly. The more whole and organic I eat, the more of a mental case I become! I guess I become a food snob - I go through stages where I think oragnic is better, but in reality, you can scrub your veggies! At the moment I am trying to eat conventionally but healthily (beans, instant oatmeal, wholegrain bread, hummus, fruit etc...). I am sick of food running my life

hmmm dont pestiscides go into your food, regardless of scrubbing them?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Korn is quite right that we easily can fall into the trap of hunting for and focus on facts that confirm what we already have decided that we believe in. I'm certainly guilty of that. What you said about the food you grow yourself, reminds me of when I grew my own fruit and veges some years ago. When I moved there, my daughter was 5 yrs old, and we lived there for several years. She is now in her late 30s, but I can still 'taste' in my mind, the veges we grew. Sometimes we would go outside to pick veges for lunch, and end up eating the peas, corn, etc, before we got back to the cottage! Now, I can't abide the comparatively horrid carrots, tomatoes, and strawberries that are for sale. Inside they are hard and tasteless. At the time I grew my own, the word 'organic' wasn't yet fashionable, though I never used chemicals, but used cow manure. There certainly was a HUGE difference in taste between homegrown plants grown with no artificial fertilizers and the stuff you get in the regular supermarkets. And neither have I tasted any corn remotely close to what I grew myself. Nowadays, the freshest veges for me are frozen spinach and peas.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Eve, I read in the paper yesterday that freah fruit and veg typically lose 85% of their nutrients within 72 hours of being picked.
    I believe the only healthy way to eat is to grow your own - can't wait to get started!

Interesting article, PFC.... is the article available on internet as well? I think this partially explains some of the B12 issues with plant based food.

I grew up in the country, and we grew a lot of fruit and nut trees in our back yard (we had the best apricots I've ever tasted!), because the climate (hot & sunny) was good for that. We also kept chooks, then chopped their heads off when (inevitably) they aged and their laying capacity declined. That's more 'natural', if you like, than being vegan. But my attitude is, there's so much cruelty in nature (even apart from what humans inflict) that stuff 'natural'. If we really wanted 'natural' we'd still be living in caves, hunting animals and occasionally hunting and eating other humans. Veganism is not natural - I still need supplements in the form of pills or supplemented food- but I believe it's the most ethical and civilised way to live. That's the only reason I'm vegan. Otherwise I'd be scoffing Mars bars and Magnum ice creams like there was no tomorrow!!
    Tom

Quote vegecentric
    But my attitude is, there's so much cruelty in nature (even apart from what humans inflict) that stuff 'natural'. If we really wanted 'natural' we'd still be living in caves, hunting animals and occasionally hunting and eating other humans.
    What do you mean by the word 'natural'? To me, 'natural' does not exclude that we use clothes or brush our teeth. Also, natural is not the same as 'normal'. Neither does natural equal 'living how people did thousands of years ago'. There have been both plant eating and meat eating cultures for thousands of years. You might have seen our 'Did humans always eat meat?'-thread here )?

Veganism is not natural - I still need supplements in the form of pills or supplemented food- but I believe it's the most ethical and civilised way to live.
    Do you think that you would need your B12 supplements if there weren't a zillion things in our 'de-naturalized' world that reduced B12 levels in water, soil, plants and possibly even in air?

Possible B12 sources in plants

B12 articles

...more B12 discussion here...

Raw *is* better in almost every case. Exceptions only in the cases where large quantities of antinutrients are present and toxic (most legumes), in which case, you'd better cook to get rid of most of them.

It doesn't make sense to cook and amplify the effects of one twisted nutrient while destroying the others. With the carotenoids, what happens is the cis forms turn into trans which is less biologically active:

Retinoids and carotenoids are thought to be generally unstable. Typical thermal processing and home cooking reduce vitamin A activity (e.g., the conversion from trans to cis isomers of beta-carotene ) by 15-35%. Cis isomers are less biologically active. This occurs particularly at higher temperatures, and when foods are supplemented with iron and copper.

refs

Cano MP;. Vegetables. Jeremiah LE;. Freezing Effects on Food Quality. New York, NY, Marcel Dekker, Inc.; 1996: 247-298

Eitenmiller RR;Landen WO Jr.;. Vitamin Analysis for the Health and Food Sciences. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press; 1999.

The more recent studies that separate cooked from raw vegetables are finding that cooked in many cases have a null effect while raw is most protective. Here are just a few studies with this finding, but there are many many more. Note the dates: this separation of cooked from raw is a relatively recent thing in nutrition literature. We will be seeing a lot more of these studies in the future:

Link LB, Potter JD.
    Raw versus cooked vegetables and cancer risk.
    Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Sep;13(9):1422-35.
    PMID: 15342442 [PubMed - in process]

Jedrychowski W.
    Contribution of Epidemiology in Poland for better understanding of the natural
    history of diseases in gastrointestinal tract.
    J Physiol Pharmacol. 2003 Dec;54 Suppl 3:245-61.
    PMID: 15075477 [PubMed - in process]

Sieri S, Krogh V, Pala V, Muti P, Micheli A, Evangelista A, Tagliabue G,
    Berrino F.
    Dietary patterns and risk of breast cancer in the ORDET cohort.
    Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Apr;13(4):567-72.
    PMID: 15066921 [PubMed - in process]

Rouzaud G, Young SA, Duncan AJ.
    Hydrolysis of glucosinolates to isothiocyanates after ingestion of raw or
    microwaved cabbage by human volunteers.
    Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Jan;13(1):125-31.
    PMID: 14744743 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Adzersen KH, Jess P, Freivogel KW, Gerhard I, Bastert G.
    Raw and cooked vegetables, fruits, selected micronutrients, and breast cancer
    risk: a case-control study in Germany.
    Nutr Cancer. 2003;46(2):131-7.
    PMID: 14690788 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Gaudet MM, Olshan AF, Poole C, Weissler MC, Watson M, Bell DA.
    Diet, GSTM1 and GSTT1 and head and neck cancer.
    Carcinogenesis. 2004 May;25(5):735-40. Epub 2003 Dec 19.
    PMID: 14688020 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Markaki I, Linos D, Linos A.
    The influence of dietary patterns on the development of thyroid cancer.
    Eur J Cancer. 2003 Sep;39(13):1912-9.
    PMID: 12932671 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

For those of you not familiar with PubMed, all you need to do to see these reports is normally to go to www.pubmed.com (or http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi ) and enter the number of the report in the search field.

For example, if you enter 15342442 (the first report quoted above), and then 'Go', you'll soon see a little mini picture of a document next to the text 'Raw versus cooked vegetables and cancer risk.'. By clicking on the image, this text will appear:

Raw versus cooked vegetables and cancer risk.

Link LB, Potter JD.

Cancer Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA. lbl10@columbia.edu

This review of the medical literature from 1994 to 2003 summarizes the relationship between raw and cooked vegetables and cancer risk and examines whether they may affect cancer risk differently. Twenty-eight studies examined the relationship between raw and cooked vegetables and risk for various cancers. Twenty-one studies assessed raw, but not cooked, vegetables and cancer risk. The majority of these assessed risk of oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal, esophageal, lung, gastric, and colorectal cancers. Most showed that vegetables, raw or cooked, were inversely related to these cancers. However, more consistent results were found for oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal, esophageal, and gastric cancers. Nine of the 11 studies of raw and cooked vegetables showed statistically significant inverse relationships of these cancers with raw vegetables, but only 4 with cooked vegetables. The few studies of breast, lung, and colorectal cancers also suggested an inverse relationship with both raw and cooked vegetables, but these results were less consistent. In the two studies of prostate cancer, there was no association with either raw or cooked vegetables. One of two bladder cancer studies found an inverse relationship with cooked, but not raw, vegetables. Possible mechanisms by which cooking affects the relationship between vegetables and cancer risk include changes in availability of some nutrients, destruction of digestive enzymes, and alteration of the structure and digestibility of food. Both raw and cooked vegetable consumption are inversely related to epithelial cancers, particularly those of the upper gastrointestinal tract, and possibly breast cancer; however, these relationships may be stronger for raw vegetables than cooked vegetables.
    Thanks for the links, marika5!

I agree that meat-eaters in our society are no more 'natural' than vegans, in that they rely, as we do, on modern technology for their food, shelter, transport etc. On the other hand, there is no such thing (to my knowledge) as a 'vegan' tribe or society. Veganism as an idea has only been around since 1944 when Donald Watson coined the term.
    As for B12, there is no reliable plant source for this. Tempeh, mushrooms, spirulina, and other plant foods claimed as sources either don't contain enough or have B12 'analogs', that not only don't provide the vitamin but inhibit the absorption of the real thing. Whether this B12 problem is due to modern lifestyles or not is immaterial. I know of too many stories of vegans becoming seriously ill due to ignoring this issue to dismiss it as unimportant. We, as vegans, have a duty to ensure that anyone trying this diet don't suffer as a result. Vegan nutritionists such as Amanda Benham, and indeed the UK Vegan Society are unequivocal about the need for supplements or supplemented food to ensure vegans don't get B12 deficiency.
    Tom

Default Does anybody else not use canned food as well?

These recipes are wonderful, I've used a few of them. However, anything canned freaks me out. I think using canned ingredients takes away from the whole homemade idea. But that is just my opinion. I have nothing against people who use canned ingredients. Does anybody else not use canned food as well? Just wondering.
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 30th, 2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Just a thought...

I don't have a great deal of canned produce, with the exception of baked beans and tomatoes. I have heard that unless tomatoes are in season locally it is a better option, flavour wise, to rely on the canned variety.

What I tend to do for other beans is soak and cook a large amount and then freeze them, so they're still handy for cooking but it's a cheaper alternative to canned beans.

I don't eat anything from a can these days. I try to be as natural as possible. it freaks me out that cans sometimes don't even have a use by date!!!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Beans and tomatoes are the only things we regularly use from tins.

It's interesting that you're worried by the lack of a sell-by date, VanillaBean. They usually do have them here but according to a friend of mine in the food business it's only because they have to - the food doesn't normally deteriorate unless the tin is damaged, he says.

I seem to remember they found tins of food that Scott's expedition to the Antarctic left, and they were fine, decades later. (Admittedly they had been refrigerated as well!)

Kevster

Default Re: Does anybody else not use canned food as well?

We generally have no tins in our house, i think due to environmental reasons from their production mostly....?

Nope, no tins. I recently accidentally bought a bulk lot of tomato puree which turned out to be tinned....I had to buy a tin-opener.
    "You can discover more about a person in one hour of play than in a year of conversation" ~ Plato

Hardly ever due to the high salt and sugar content - we keep canned tomatoes for emergencies though and Corum likes baked beans.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Kevster View Post
    We generally have no tins in our house, i think due to environmental reasons from their production mostly....?
    Are cans particularly environmentally unfriendly, given that they can be recycled again and again?

I suppose it depends what you compare them with - certainly worse than stuff straight from the allotment or garden, probably worse than dried, but surely better than frozen in terms of energy use, and certainly better than air-freighted fresh stuff...?