Thread: I'm traveling to London

Default I'm traveling to London

Hey Londoners,

I'm traveling to London in a few weeks and I'm trying to find a hostel/hotel. I'm landing at Heathrow airport and was wondering if you all could help me. I'm a little confused by the whole North London, South London. Is everything pretty close? Does the tube pretty much cover all areas within the London Area? Any information would help.

Thanks in advance everyone

love,
    ariana
    When I grow up I want to be a computer!

Stu

Default Re: I'm traveling to London

Hullo.

North London is king (well technically Manchester is king, but North London is king of London). The tube hardly goes South of the river. Likewise people who value their wallets (kidding, Sam!).

Transport operates in a 'zone' system. I.e. Zone 1 covers the very centre (touristy bit) of London, with zone 2 forming a circle around that, zone 3 forming a circle around that etc etc. If you can stay in zone 1 or 2, that's probably the best. If you're trying to find a hostel, there's a reallllllly cheap and realllllly popular hostel bang in the centre of London, just off Piccadilly Circus. I can't speak for its quality, but I've known people to crash there, and they never said anything bad about it.

OK, I've just looked it up. Here is the link:
    http://www.piccadillybackpackers.com/
    I notice that this place seems to be aimed more at backpackers, so it might not be what you're looking for.

Anyway, enjoy your stay in Blighty!

To use New York analogies Central London would be the equivalent of Manhattan and North London and South London would refer to the other boroughs. If you only need to stay in the centre then the tube covers everything. If you want to go further out though then you would need either the tube or a train.

The best way of paying to travel is to get an Oyster Card. You load money onto this and then you touch it on a special readers when using the tube or bus and it deducts the appropriate fare. There is a maximum daily fare so once you reach that limit all further journeys are free!

Here is the TfL (London's equivalent of the MTA) page about the Visitor Oyster Card:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...kets/5185.aspx

The one downside with an Oyster Card is that they are not valid on most train services, so if you will need to be using a train then you would be better off instead buying a Travelcard, which is a paper all-day pass for use on tube, bus, and train.

The catch with that is that you have to know in advance which zones you need it to cover, otherwise you could end up spending more than you need, or having to buy extra tickets when you go beyond the allowed zones.

For the tube and bus both of those methods are MUCH cheaper than paying for individual tickets though. And if at all possible, on weekdays do not travel until after 9:30am as travel costs a lot more before that time.

This page on the TfL site has various maps you can download, which will show you the different zones and which areas have trains or tube lines:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx

The DLR (Dockland Light Railway), incidentally, is a mostly elevated light rail service but for all intents you can consider it another tube line.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Thanks, these are two great pieces of information !

I didn't even think as far ahead as cards for the tubes and such.
    When I grow up I want to be a computer!