Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: need partners for healthy weight loss

Default Re: need partners for healthy weight loss

Quote sugarmouse View Post

know how you feel veganwitch, although my weight has gone up and down over the years, it crept up on me at one point, from being thin to suddenly realising I was alot bigger than I thought i was!
    thanks sugarmouse! I appreciate all the tips you mentioned. I will keep them in mind, but deep down I have this sort of premonition that I am not going to lose any weight. Idk, I can't seem to stop the "reaching for the bread" impulse.

Quote veganwitch View Post
    i half wonder (or hope) that my problem is b/c of a thyroid conditon. but of course i don't want to go to the dr. and actually find out if that is the case.
    do you have any other symptoms of thyroid problems? how's your iodine intake? i've heard of people taking high doses of iodine to help lose weight but i don't know if that works.

why don't you want to go to the doctor, if you don't mind me asking? is it because you kinda hope it's your thyroid and you don't want to be disappointed? if you think it could be your thyroid you should probably get it checked out, it could potentially have some serious consequences if you leave it untreated. it wouldn't necessarily mean medication.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

When I'm wanting to snack but know I have eaten enough and am not actually hungry I eat those mixes of seeds in tamari sauce / munchy seeds (the ones from Terre a Terre in Brighton are esp nice Gorilla). I find (eating a few at a time, not a handful) they give me the sense of constantly eating and having something nice and flavourful. They probably aren't exactly low calorie but I know it would be worse if I reached for bread or crisps I'd eat more quicker and consume a lot more food.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I agree with Gorilla about getting the thyroid checked out. Once you know whether anything is wrong and what they suggest is done about it you can decide what you are prepared to do.
    Even if you decide to do nothing at least you won't be any worse off than now - but you'll know what you are dealing with and what may happen if it is left untreated so you will be making an informed choice. You could also look into alternative therapies. I don't think ignorance is bliss.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Gorilla and Marrers you both make a lot of sense.

I don't really monitor my iodine intake. I think the sea salt I have has iodine in it but I use salt very sparingly. As far as other symptoms go I am always cold , tired, and have muddled thinking. But I think that is pretty much my natural state..lol.

I just generally avoid the dr. I realize it is irrational but in my (irrational) mind I worry that if I go to have something checked out (like my thyroid) they will tell me I have cancer. I agree that ignorance is not bliss for the most part but when it comes to me and my health I like to keep my head as firmly tucked in the sand as possible.

Please don't yell at me for not going to the dr. I know I should but I won't.

I've been keeping more seed-type snacks in the house as well but all in all I am not a huge snacker. I just eat a lot at meals so I am trying to cut down on portions. And I also tend to eat very late at night which I know isn't good.

What other foods are high in iodine?

Please don't yell at me for not going to the dr.
    GO THE THE DRS AT ONCE!!

I don't know about the iodine but just wondered if you are supplementing b12 at all? Might be worth a try.

LOL!!! Marrers you are too much

I take B12 sporadically at best. Yesterday I had two mints w/ b12 in them
    Other than that I have a bottle of b12 tablets that smell and changed color on me so I stopped taking them. This was a long time ago and I just haven't gotten my procrastinating self around to buying more.

Read a bit on the b12 threads here if you are buying fresh tablets. There is talk about one type being better than another (and I've been told the sublingual ones you put under your tongue or a spray are the best methods).

Hmmmm...the ones I was taking were the sublingual ones. I had started breaking them into small pieces b/c one tablet provided over 16,000% of your daily intake

Have a look at this thread veganwitch:- http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21495

As far as other symptoms go I am always cold , tired, and have muddled thinking.
    that sounds like you could be anaemic. do you eat plenty of iron rich foods?

What other foods are high in iodine?
    seaweed such as kelp is the best source - i put a little bit of kelp powder into meals and you can't taste it so it's good if you don't like the seaweedy flavour.

sorry you feel so anxious about going to the doctor.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that sounds like you could be anaemic. do you eat plenty of iron rich foods?
    seaweed such as kelp is the best source - i put a little bit of kelp powder into meals and you can't taste it so it's good if you don't like the seaweedy flavour.
    sorry you feel so anxious about going to the doctor.
    Thanks Gorilla. I eat lots of raw spinach which I think is high in iron. I have kelp powder in the house and I use in in several recipes I make. You're right about the non-seaweedy flavor. It's good.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Have a look at this thread veganwitch:- http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21495
    Good info, thanks Marrers. I didn't realize there was so much controversy over b12. I'll be shopping around for a new one. I might even try the spray you mentioned.

Just come across this thread.

I weighed in today at a mammoth 15 stone 3lbs.

There are mitigating circumstances, which are irrelevant really as it still leaves me 2 stone heavier than I was probably 5 months ago - and then I needed to lose two stone.

So i've got four stone to lose.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

good luck Frank - i certainly didn't notice you having put on weight last time i saw you.

I eat lots of raw spinach which I think is high in iron.
    it is high in iron, but it also contains oxalate which makes the iron difficult to absorb and in large amounts can actually reduce the iron levels in the body. spinach is not actually one of the best sources of iron. try eating more lentils, beans, chick peas and other green leafy vegetables.

cobweb

bless, Frank, i am in the same boat, good luck to both of us!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    good luck Frank - i certainly didn't notice you having put on weight last time i saw you.
    I hold/carry the weight well.

Bigger shirts help a lot

Quote Gorilla View Post
    it is high in iron, but it also contains oxalate which makes the iron difficult to absorb and in large amounts can actually reduce the iron levels in the body.
    But is there anything we ought to be eating along with our spinach to help the absorption of iron? I love spinach.

BlackCats

(I love spinach but I always forget to buy it. Don't you have to combine spinach with something to absorb it, orange juice or vitamin C, not sure actually!)

I have noticed that quite a few people say that they lose weight quickly and easily when they turn vegan and keep it off for a while but then start to gain weight and then have to watch what they eat. Has anyone else noticed that? (not just on this forum btw, I have read it lots of places.)
    Last edited by BlackCats; Oct 15th, 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Don't you have to combine spinach with something to absorb it, orange juice or vitamin C, not sure actually!
    vitamin C helps the body absrob iron but i don't know how much it can reverse the effect of the oxalate in spinach.

^good luck Frank and Cobby.

^ Gorilla I didn't know that about the spinach. I guess I'm pretty uninformed but then I've never been worried about anemia (one of the rare things I DON'T worry about ..lol) so I haven't been too concerned w/ iron.

BlackCats

I take it that no one has noticed any vegans saying what I said! I can't believe it, I have heard it tons of times. I read that a doctor said that was why vegan diets were not good for people () because people had to stay on fruit and veg to stay slim or else they kept turning to carbs to fill them up and gained weight? I think maybe it is also because of the vegan junk food available now maybe. I also read that it might be the lack of iodine in a vegan diet like people have said.

I started off being vegan almost two years ago at 5'6" and at 126lb and stayed like that for a while and then went up to 133lb and stayed there for ages no matter what I ate (and I ate a lot) but in the last four months I have gone up to 150lb. I think because I haven't been able to exercise much and I have been eating lots more since I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking. But I have noticed that quite a few vegans say the weightloss or weight stability stops after a while and they gain weight instead. I am hoping to lose this extra 14lb but it seems really daunting. I have started trampolining this last week and hoping that it is doing some good.

cobweb

BlackCats i don't know many vegans who ever lost weight on veganism but i could easily believe it, personally i think it's partly because, at first you don't know what you can eat so you eat less/more healthy stuff. Then you discover baking/vegan junk food! .

I am a few stone heavier as a vegan than i ever was before, but it's hard to say exactly why because i think it's a mixture of reasons (having a baby, getting older, more sedentary lifestyle, eating disorders etc).

I am having big problems losing weight as my medication slows my metabolism, and yet without it i get depressed and then don't feel like exercising. I think i prefer to feel more stable, mood-wise, enjoy the exercise, and be larger than i'd like to be so i suppose i have to just stop looking in the mirror .

BlackCats

Yes exactly CW, I didn't even realise I could eat some types of pasta as a vegan at first! You seem to do lots of walking and stuff though don't you and gym it and swim so you must be quite fit. I agree that like you, I would prefer stable moods and a bit of extra padding myself to being thinner but more unhappy. I feel far happier without alcohol anyway.

I have a problem losing weight because I suppose I don't care so much about being bigger as I used to be four stone heavier than this and it didn't really affect my life, I still had a boyfriend and went out to pubs and clubs and gigs and enjoyed myself etc when I was obese. I think I am far healthier now though obviously. I still would like to lose the extra weight or at least shape up a bit though.:smile:

cobweb

i am quite fit BlackCats but i feel very large and ungainly (not that i was ever petite and feminine though!!!)

you did really well with losing 4 stone.

BlackCats

Thanks CW, well I had no business being 4 stone heavier than this in the first place really. Weight is so easy to gain and so hard to lose.

I don't think any of my weight changes have had anything to do with veganism (except maybe when comfort eating or craving a certain type of food which isn't vegan I can end up trying lots of different things in a vain attempt to satisfy the craving - whereas if I could have just ate the Mars bar, or whatever I was craving, I'd have consumed far fewer calories). And as far as I can recall I don't think I lost weight at all on going vegan.

My friend has been totally stable in her weight for the 20 years she has been vegan.

WhoAreYou

Hi, I've been stalking this topic but haven't posted yet. I too am trying to lose weight I want to be toned. Last night though after I had done so much walking all day and was feeling good....I went for the bread at about 11pm!! I had 3 brown bread and 3 white bread with vegemite...I'm feeling crappola about it but I'm trying not to let it get to me but it's hard. I hate bread in fact I banned it, but my dad still has it!! Makes life a little difficult. Just wanted to share that

Quote WhoAreYou View Post
    Hi, I've been stalking this topic but haven't posted yet. I too am trying to lose weight I want to be toned. Last night though after I had done so much walking all day and was feeling good....I went for the bread at about 11pm!! I had 3 brown bread and 3 white bread with vegemite...I'm feeling crappola about it but I'm trying not to let it get to me but it's hard. I hate bread in fact I banned it, but my dad still has it!! Makes life a little difficult. Just wanted to share that

Maybe you let yourself go too long without food?

I should not eat bread but have done so for a while.

(Why did you 'ban' yours?).

I've gone two days without it and have gone for fruit instead, amongst other things.

That did not work an hour ago when i went for a tin of precooked three beans type. it was great - for about as long as it took to eat. Then I had some fruit

My body went carb mad and that's what cost me a lot of weight.

I'm bringing that under control now.

Tomorrow just start the day off with 'today - i'm not going to eat any bread' - and just get through that day. Don't worry about tomorrow. Then repeat for the next day.

Taking little steps is fine.

cobweb

^ i think that is an excellent idea, Frank, i'm going to try doing that, one day at a time (i'm ok with bread, i eat 2 slices max every day but it's other stuff i need to watch)
    - then, if a craving becomes overwhelming maybe i will give into it on that particular day and just say 'fine, tomorrow is another new day'

thanks Frank, simple but ingernious!

Quote Frank View Post
    Maybe you let yourself go too long without food?
    Yeah I definitely become a bottomless pit when I don't eat enough during the day. I'll then eat a large evening meal which should fill me up but I still snack all night long after it.

At least you'd done some exercise WhoYouAre, that would have worked off some of the bread!

My indoor trampoline came today. It's very hard compared to the outdoor one so will take some getting used to I think but it's nice to have another option with the winter weather looming.

I lost a pound I am sure it's just water weight but I felt good about it anyway. I am weighing myself once a week on the same day. At least I didn't gain anymore

BlackCats

I lost a pound
    Well done!

WhoAreYou

thank you. mmm carb mad haha. Well i banned bread because I love it and can never stop once I start. I ate a whole loaf in one go once! It was a mini loaf but still...just because it tasted so darn good! And I believe it is a real danger to my fat levels!
    I was wondering about potato, it is such a dinner food and I love it and I don't want to ban it but everyone is always going on about starch. By the way I bought some avocado/tofu sushi before it was about 9pm) and i've put it in the fridge and i'm NOT touching it till tomorrow and i'll have it for breakfast. Once again, carb. CARBS CARBS CARBS why do you hate me when i love you so?
    Hmm trampoline good idea. I got a skipping rope: It's GOOD

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Well done!
    Thanks BlackCats.

after a slightly excessive weekend - Chinese buffet (twice!), curry, Pogo's devil breakfast and a fair amount of booze (i did at least get some exercise though haha ) - it seems my body has decided i need to go on a diet, because unhealthy foods are just not appealing today. hopefully this will last more than one day! i've only had fruit and a big salad today, won't be having any chocolate or crisps or anything like that. it might not do anything for my ever-increasing weight but it certainly won't do any harm. i'm too scared to weigh myself again in case i've gone up over 10 stone (140lb) again

I ate an entire large bag of Tyrells crisps last night after a normal sized dinner. I'm going to have to stop buying them as I obviously have no willpower.

^ I went into my local Co-op on Saturday and was amazed to see that they have started to stock Swedish Glace.

One tub of vanilla, three hours later - and it was empty

WhoAreYou

There is a major rule that is: never go shopping on an empty stomach. So obviously it's going to be best if you just stuffed yourself, then that chocolate soy ice-cream won't jump in to your hands as soon as you see it. It worked too. It stops me from buying munchies and sweets, unfortunately I'll eat other people's ahaha but it could be doubly worse.
    I'm now addicted to avocado veggie sushi. And white rice is an enemy of mine...but...it's all i think about 24/7

i weighed myself this morning and i was pleased to see i'm still exactly 10 stone/140lb so i haven't gained any more weight. now i just have to lose a stone

At my self-imposed friday weigh-in, I found out I lost another pound. It's quite encouraging and also kind of funny b/c I've yet to start exercising. I'm just trying not to eat like my usual gluttonous self.

Yay, congrats on the weight loss!!! I haven't stepped on the scales for a bit, but after my ED I'm almost scared to in case it starts getting obsessive again. But I do want to lose the weight. I've started incorporating more raw foods into my diet, and drinking more water. Next week I'm hoping to start running and I hope to pick up my skipping rope too, I'm just so lazy

Will let you know how I get on, veganwitch! I'm just under 60kg (132lbs, 9st6) and want to lose 5kg, which will take me to 121 lbs, or 8st8.

My weakness is the biscuits my bf buys, so moreish

cobweb

veganwitch that is good, slow but steady wins the race!.

i have done next to no exercise for the 2 weeks my son has been off school - haven't put on any weight but haven't lost any either. Must get back on track tomorrow!.

thanks fiamma and cobby.

fiamma, we will have to see which one of use actually picks up our jump rope first. The closest I got was opening the closet door and making sure it was still hanging on it's hook...lol.

cobby, that's great you've held steady at your weight in the absence of exercise !

I am now 155 lbs and want to get to 130....might be a bit unrealistic, but we'll see.

You don't have to weigh yourself fiamma, just measure or find a snug set of clothes to periodically try on to see if they are getting looser.

I noticed after the 2 weeks where I was unable to exercise (and was eating lots of cakes and crisps) that I look fatter although my weight remained the same. My body shape changed and my fatty bits are more squidgy.

well another week gone and another pound gone. this seems too easy, I'm really not doing anything special to lose the weight.

of course I think the pound today was due to my barely eating the past couple of days.

Congratulations on the weight loss veganwitch, although I'm sorry to hear your recent lost pound could've been the result of stress

I've been having terrible eating habbits lately, and it's why I haven't been posting in the "What Did You Eat Today" thread.

All I seem to be doing is working night shifts, sleeping and going to the hospital. There's been no time to cook up decent meals, and when there has been time, I find I can't be bothered.

I'm making a commitment to myself that starting tomorrow, I need to start eating more consciously, and less conveniently.

cobweb

that's good, veganwitch, those 1lbs will be adding up nicely.

Roxy your life sounds hard at the moment so be easy on yourself!.

as for me, my weight loss has stopped, grr.

Thanks Cobweb. I'm feeling really drained and part of the reason is because I haven't been eating well. If I don't eat well then I don't get the nutrients I need to keep my body and brain functioning properly.

Do you think it's the weather Cobweb? Perhaps you're not getting out as much (for walks and such), and that's making your weight loss come to a stop for now.

cobweb

i think it might be a factor, Roxy, yes, the wet dark days tend to make me eat stodgy foods i think, plus i haven't got a good exercise timetable going on right now.