Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: need partners for healthy weight loss

Default Re: need partners for healthy weight loss

Thanks Roxy and Cobby.

Roxy, I know what you mean about not being bothered to prepare proper meals. When you are stressed to the max, it requires a monumental effort to cook food.

Cobweb, I know you must be frustrated at the stall on weight loss. But I think it is encouraging that you are not gaining pounds.

I am going to start walking everyday at lunchtime. This may or may not backfire as the walk sometimes ends at a cafe w/ delicious french fries. *sigh*. I am my own worst enemy.

BlackCats

Well done Veganwitch on the weight loss.

Thanks BlackCats!

eugh, i havnt weighed myself in three years but I have a nasty feeling I need to lose about two stone. couldn't fit into a size 8 at the weekend, and ended up getting a size 12, admittedly it is a little too big for me (they didnt have a 10) but still I don't like buying size 12 stuff (not that theres anything wrong with being a size 12, but it really doesn't suit my figure!). but I have decided that alcohol will be a much smaller part of my weekly intake from now on so that should go someway to helping. even if i don't drink that many calories the next day i could just live off orange juice and bread. oh and im going back to kickboxing today which i havnt been able to do for a while coz of flu, soi think i might be getting my life back on track...come on 24 inch waist (yh right!)

i've lost 3 pounds, woo!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

^ I must have found them
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Well done Gorilla!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Congrats on the 3 pounds Gorilla, that's great!

I've lost 5 pounds in 5 weeks.

thanks Marrers and Veganwitch, and well done you too!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks Gorilla.

I am trying to ignore the crazy voice in the my head that is wondering if I am losing weight b/c I have some horrible disease. Honestly, I am my own worst enemy. When I was gradually gaining all this weight, I also worried I had some terrible illness that was causing weight gain. Now that I am losing some, I am worrying the same thing.

BlackCats

Quote squigaletta View Post
    come on 24 inch waist (yh right!)
    (I used to have a 24 inch waist, how things change! Kickboxing sounds fun Squigaletta.)

Well done Gorilla and Veganwitch! VW - it sounds like you are feeling a bit anxious.

I weighed myself and I have lost 2 pounds this week despite eating tons. I think it is because I have been having much more energy with the vitamins I'm taking and I have been exercising 4 times this week for 30-40 minutes each time. I'm not bothering to diet though, I just like food too much! I just thought I would mention that I did actually lose a couple of pounds.

Lol veganwitch, I always think that too - you can't win!

Well done BlackCats. I'm still on the cake diet! Same few pounds going on and off all the time but my body fat is definitely getting squishier.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

aww Veganwitch, try not to worry!

well done BC!

BlackCats, good for you! You're right about me feeling anxious....*sigh* , that's my natural environment I'm afraid.

Marrers, ain't that the truth!!

Gorilla, I will TRY!

New plan: adopt Marrers' cake diet and throw out the scale

Quote BlackCats View Post
    (I used to have a 24 inch waist, how things change! Kickboxing sounds fun Squigaletta.)
    Ha yeh me too, seems like a long way off atm, though I am losing I think (though still not weighing myself). Kickboxing was great to get back to, I just love going, and a few of my really lose friends are starting up too

Well done to everyone losing, you're such an inspiration!

Okay – someone has to start the New Year off, so it might as well be me.

Excuses first of all.

Been ill for three weeks, leading to a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but carried on with normal calorie intake – plus that little bit extra over the festive period. Did not really have any alcohol in this period – just managed to get out twice in the last four weeks.

Due to illness my new training regime fell through the floor. Worse still, I now have an ‘injury’ that could prevent me from doing anything for quite a while. Let’s wait and see on that one.

I weighed myself today at 16 Stone. Yes – I’ve gone over 100 kilos.

Not so long ago I was down to 13 stone – so this doesn’t really add up.

Moving forward.

The only thing I can do moving forward now is to reduce calorie intake to less than what I’m using. I got a feeling that is going to take some time. I guess for an active chap its about 2,500 calories per day. Any idea what it should be for someone who is not active?

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Good luck with your weight loss this year.

PS - What works for you: What do you eat low calorie that really fills you up?

Quote Frank View Post
    Okay – someone has to start the New Year off, so it might as well be me.

Excuses first of all.
    Ha ha - I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to pop up again! I've certainly piled on a few inches (though strangely only 2 pounds in weight) through a lazy lack of exercising and greedy overeating!

Time to get a grip now though . . .

cobweb

hi Frank, i have similar problems and put on weight in a ridiculous fashion

i'm not going to get too hooked up on calories, my plan is just to make more healthy choices, and make sure i exercise every day. If i feel to hungry i know i'll just binge.

i'm drinking 3 - 4 litres of mineral water every day now and that seems to be making me feel a lot better and keeping my appetite down.

Frank maybe you could find ways to burn calories that don't affect your injury too much. I know it won't feel as satisfying as a proper workout but at least it will be something - all movement is good.

Although I haven't got around to trying it a lot of people were saying good things about eating a diet of low GI foods (Glycemic Index) making it easier to eat sensibly and lose weight without cravings.
    "GI is a ranking (from 1 to 100) which measures the effect of a food on your blood-glucose level over the two hours after the food is eaten," explains Joanna McMillan-Price, a Sydney nutrition scientist and co-author of The Low GI Diet book.
    Eating a lot of high GI foods can be detrimental to your health because it pushes your body to extremes. This is especially true if you are overweight and sedentary. Switching to eating mainly low GI carbs that slowly trickle glucose into your blood stream keeps your energy levels balanced and means you will feel fuller for longer between meals.

The basic technique for eating the low GI way is simply a "this for that" approach - ie, swapping high GI carbs for low GI carbs. You don't need to count numbers or do any sort of mental arithmetic to make sure you are eating a healthy, low GI diet.
    Rose Elliot wrote a low GI cook book.

There are definite benefits to a low GI diet. I follow the guidelines, though haven't lost any weight (and shouldn't). My mom follows the low-GI diet and lost about 80 lbs on it.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Frank, if you google basal metabolic rate you can work out how many calories (based on height and weight) your body will use up just by being your body. depending on how sedentary you are consuming at this level, or below it, will cause a calorie deficit.

This thread might help some people:

weight-loss foods that are cheap and filling

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19412

did 40mins swimming in the morning yesterday (then wrote an entire essay ) then did a 1hr15min body pump class at the gym. ate tonnes of fruit too...lets hope I can keep it up. Off to write another entire essay, then gonna cross train 4 miles I think, woop woop

I have put on a few pounds over Christmas. Thought going back to work would shift it but i only had a day there. Anyways it will be getting warmer soon *is optimistic* and i am going to be constructive with my days. Thursday i plan on exercising, plan on going to the gym on Friday unless it snows.

Gained 3 lbs. over the holiday. Thanks to all the lovely treats. Haven't been very active over the holiday either...so that didn't help. Now I am concentrating on adding more veggies and fruit to my diet and cutting out any more sweets. I wish I could organize myself well enough to count calories. I hear that is the only way. Still if I replace the bad with the good that should help some.

Planning to go to the gym tomorrow I reckon. Will do the usual hour and a bit in gym then however long in pool.

Eating mostly raw now too which is helping a bit!

I've been snowed in. I need to get to the gym!!!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cobweb

lovely snow!

i've just bought a 'disco burn' DVD so i'll be doing that for physical exercise and for cheering-up reasons twice a week, and hitting the gym twice a week (minimum)
    i just need to get my a into g, haven't seen the gym since before christmas

Quote cobweb View Post
    lovely snow!

i've just bought a 'disco burn' DVD so i'll be doing that for physical exercise and for cheering-up reasons twice a week, and hitting the gym twice a week (minimum)
    i just need to get my a into g, haven't seen the gym since before christmas
    Disco burn, wow, they think of everything!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Glad to see this thread is still going strong, I keep forgetting about it.

I put on over six pounds over Christmas.

The good news is I've managed to lose that so I'm now back to my pre Christmas weight of 12.5 stone, I reckon I have another stone to shift to reach a reasonable target weight.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I’m down to 14 stone 12 today.

That’s a big improvement on 2nd January when I was 16 stone.

I cut out bread, potatoes, chocolate and ice cream.

If I need something sweet - I have fruit or raisins.

Been able to get around now and work helps too.

Been having stews for dinner. Very tasty, very filling. I get tired after the stew though. Maybe too many carbs?

Started sprouting again as well.

I don’t expect to lose another stone in the next 10 days – but I’m going in the right direction.

BlackCats

That's good Frank!:smile: Wow very quick.

cobweb

blimey, frank!

i would sorely miss potatoes, though, they're so easy, cheap and filling!.

I've put on 14lbsince August
    I really could do with losing about 21lb to get to 9 stone.
    This morning I made a smoothie with orange juice, banana, kiwi and peach , then I walked the kids to school (25 mins) and ran/walked back.
    Probably have another smoothie for lunch in a mo.
    here comes the sun

Quote cobweb View Post
    blimey, frank!

i would sorely miss potatoes, though, they're so easy, cheap and filling!.
    Try sweet potatoes.

They work for me - although they are maybe an acquired taste for some.

Booo, ate lots last night, works christmas do, sometimes I hate having a job so accomodating to my vegan needs! back on it today though, body pump this evening.

BlackCats

Well I started eating more healthily yesterday as I have put on 2 stone (28 pounds) in 2 years now. I would be glad if I shift any of it but obviously the full amount would be great!

I'm just not sure that I'm eating enough or that what I'm eating is right, I had quite a busy day yesterday so I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast and then made a massive chickpea and veggie curry and I had two bowls of that with some flaxseed oil throughout the day and lots of water and green tea. I know that is three meals but I felt very hungry and shaky this morning. I used to do Weightwatchers when I was vegetarian but I think vegans need to eat more calories generally? I am quite a hungry person so I don't want to feel like I'm staving myself. I'm not sure what a typical healthy day for a vegan would be. Any help?:smile:

cobweb

i feel the same, BC, i can't bear feeling weak and hungry .

Your food intake sounds on the low side of normal to me .

Yesterday, over the whole day, i ate one of those tiny individual packs of cereal, 2 pittas with houmous and cucumber, mashed tatties, 1 Grassingtons chicken type thingy, and veg, followed later by a large cereal type bowl full of popcorn. That is a fairly typical day for me. I'm exercising at the gym for around 4 - 5 hours each week in total, plus little walks with Tam and housework so i would have thought that was a pretty reasonable food intake. I can't shift the weight though, i want to lose around 3 stone, and i would still be heavier than 'ideal' then (*sigh*).

BlackCats

I think yesterday was too little food for me definitely but I was rushing about and didn't have much time. I am going to eat a bit more today but try and keep it healthy. Thanks for posting what you eat typically CW, that doesn't sound an enormous amount as you do so much exercise.:smile: I think I might try and eat carbs for breakfast and lunch for energy and try and have something protein based like sausages with veggies or a tofu stir fry in the evening.

I can't believe I haven't had any crisps or chocolate for two days now but I'm sure that won't last!

cobweb

he-he, well done!

i am wondering about limiting snacky things like popcorn to weekends only and being super healthy through the week, hmm.........cannot see me giving up potatoes though, they are so filling!

BlackCats

Quote cobweb View Post
    i am wondering about limiting snacky things like popcorn to weekends only and being super healthy through the week, hmm.........cannot see me giving up potatoes though, they are so filling!
    Me either, I think potatoes are quite good for you anyway, maybe not as chips though. I am going to stop buying some junk like crackers, I could eat a whole packet at one sitting with pure spread on them and they don't fill me up at all! I think a small packet of crisps is only 2 and a half points so I will have them sometimes.

I’m down to 13 stone 12 today.

That’s a big improvement on 2nd January when I was 16 stone.

I’ll next report when I am down to 12 stone 12!

BlackCats

That is good Frank.

I have only lost 10 lbs so far (I think it has been just over 5 weeks) but I haven't really been sticking to my diet religiously so I suppose it's better than nothing. I put on 7 lbs over X-mas so I really have only lost 3 lbs off my normal weight. I must try harder.

^ Its not easy.

For eating - I discipline myself Monday to Friday - then relax at the weekend.

My body is responding and I've got that kick in the heels you get when you're starting to feel good.

But it will still be be a long slog to get where I want to go.

prilly-pie

Wow reading this thread you guys are doing really well!!
    I wish to lose 20lbs to help with fitness and general well being - emotional and physical.
    Here I go!

Hi all, can I join in here please?

I really want to get into shape and lose about a stone or so. I'm on the wrong side of 11st at the moment, and have had enough of wearing what I can fit into instead of what I want.
    There's so much support on here and everyone's doing great!
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

BlackCats

Yes you can join. (I don't think you need to lose any weight though from meeting you.)

I haven't even remotely been sticking to my diet this week and I don't think there is any point in me weighing myself tomorrow. I am going out to eat at a vegan restaurant tonight and on Friday night so I think I will start dieting afresh on Saturday.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Yes you can join. (I don't think you need to lose any weight though from meeting you.)

I haven't even remotely been sticking to my diet this week and I don't think there is any point in me weighing myself tomorrow. I am going out to eat at a vegan restaurant tonight and on Friday night so I think I will start dieting afresh on Saturday.
    Thanks You certainly don't! TBH I was surprised to see you on here
    I just don't feel comfortable how I am, all my clothes are tight and I can't afford to buy any more My trouble is I just eat too much crap.

You gotta have some time off though, otherwise it seems like such a chore! Enjoy your eateries, they sound like fun. Senor spud says he's going to take me out to dinner on friday, and I know we'll end up eating junk
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

cobweb

eek i am MASSIVE again, and no, it's not me being a paranoid woman. Ian took a picture of me today and i look like i am 9 months pregnant, seriously.

i haven't ever really got back into the gym after having an enforced Christmas break. I have to make some sort of plan and stick to it again i think.

I get terrible cravings for carbs and i think it gets worse when i exercise less. Grr.

Well done, Frank, you are doing well.

Quote cobweb View Post
    I get terrible cravings for carbs and i think it gets worse when i exercise less. Grr.
    I take a chromium supplement once a day. This seems to have surpressed my cravings for sugar.

I use a GTF Chromium 200ug from Holland & Barrett. They cost about £3 for 50 tablets and I have one a day.

Quote cobweb View Post
    Well done, Frank, you are doing well.
    Thanks. Its hard work - if I eat less than my body needs each day I see a weight loss overtime.