Thread: Fruits and veggies - too little, too much

Default Fruits and veggies - too little, too much

Is there such thing? I think I may eat too much fruit

PinkFluffyCloud

I suppose it depends whether or not it 'agrees' with you?
    My dentist has told me to go easy on the citrus fruit which, apparently erode your teeth enamel. I only have 2 'fillings', but my front teeth are weak at the ends, little bits have chipped off, and this is his explanation.

I don't think it's possible to eat too much fruit, the more fruit the better is my motto. But, because fruit is digested differently than other foods it's best to eat it alone on an empty stomach or at least ten minutes before a meal.

If you are worrying about eating too much fruit, then I think you are either worrying too much or worrying about the wrong things.

Anyone with type 2 diabetes needs to be very choosy about which fruits and how much of them to eat.
    Eve

yes Casey i have heard that fruit should always be eaten by itself, and preferably in the morning for optimum digestion.

perhaps you could try replacing some of the fruit you are eating with vegetables, if you feel you're eating too much fruit? was it you Banana who said you were having trouble with diarrhoea-like symptoms? this may be caused by too much fruit, and apparently can be helped with onions, leeks, carrots and other root veg, kale, ginger, cinnamon; rice, oats and spelt for breakfast (i know you love your oatmeal!)
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

In the morning? I always get nasty heartburn or upset stomach when eating fruits on an empty stomach...

Default just 2 fruits a day?

My understanding is it's best to have just a couple of fruit servings per day. But I've heard some doctors tell some people to have only one. Then I know some folks who just totally pig-out on fruit.

And I'm wondering, what about for those folks who are high risk for developing diabetes? (it's on both sides of my family)

I think of "everything in moderation," but what's that, really? seems too relative to me...

*sincererly and thanks*

cross barer

Default Re: just 2 fruits a day?

I have never heard anyone recommend limiting fruit intake!
    Presently there is a media campaign by federal health department in Australia recommending everybody eat (a total of) 5 serves of fruit and vegetables every day.

My mum did a diet a few years ago where she ate only fruit until lunchtime (and as much as she liked) and then whatever she wanted for the rest of the day. She lost weight, but she doesn't like fruit, so she couldn't stick to it.
    To me, that sounds like heaven. Unfortunately my mother prefers diets that involve some form of animal product, she is one of those people that believes what she reads in the paper and thinks I have gone too far being vegan, and is very challenged by it.

Cryospark

Fruit contains complex carbohydrates the bodies preferred fuel, it reaks down slower then other forms of carbohydrate that are very soluable, the quicker something dissolves in water the more likely it will aid in promoting diabetes. Basically what I'm saying is what you eat now put you more at risk of diabetes then fruit. your recommended daily intake in percentage from foods is 10% protein 10% fat and whatevers left complex carbohydrate, the first two are limited having to much of them, which is what happens when u eat meat, will have a dire effect on your health.

So it's the protein and fat that should be more closely monitored and not worry about how much fruit? I'm really surprised; I hadn't heard that before. I thought it was that fruit should be limited because of having sugar, and white/processed flour should be basically avoided.

*I've also read that there's a link between diabetes and dairy consumption, but that's obviously not an issue since I'm vegan! hee-hee

My understanding is that some people limit fruit because of the sugar content. In my opinion, a diet which limits fruit intake cannot be a good diet. Fruit is full of goodness and low in nasties, and the fruit sugar is not as bad as the normal refined stuff. Sweets for diabetics are sweetened with fruit sugar!

Some fruit are high GI, though, but Patrick Holford (ION) has said at a seminar I attended that you can never eat enough of these fruit for them to have an impact. I.e. water melon has a high GI but so little carbs that it is not significant - apologies for not looking up numbers.

littleTigercub

If you're trying to lose weight (or maintain), too many fruits are going to hurt. I know at Weight Watchers, my meetings leader only suggests a few fruits a day (no more than 3) because it will make you gain.

I know for me, when I pig out on fruits, there's always a gain on the scale when I weigh myself.

cross barer

Quote Peas'nHominy
    I thought it was that fruit should be limited because of having sugar, and white/processed flour should be basically avoided.
    Flour contians the simplest of all carbohydrates, starch. The sugar in fruit is called fructose and is made up of starch-like molecules. So while the fructose is breaking down during digestion, these starch chains are released one at a time so to speak... whereas when you eat white flour you get them all at once.

When carbs are digested, if they are not used they are converted to fat for storage until needed. So it stands to reason that something that releases the carb slowly is more likely to be used up through the energy requirements of daily activities.

Cryospark

You trust weight watchers Tiger lily? I wouldn't say you were fattened by fruit consumption, carbohydrates as the prefered fuel for cells is used up quickly, the complex ones release slower, if they get stored they are stored as glucogen which is our body starch, easily used up in one session of excercise. Protein however your body is very good at retaining from broken down cells it recycles what it can. Excess protein will be stored as fat also and be harder to use up for it gives 4 times the energy of carbohydrates, harder to use up something with much more energy. Other things halting your weightloss could be toxins in your body they mess with your process of converting glucose into different states, a detox would be a good idea if you find yourself somewhere where you face much pollution, this because you should not be getting polluted from a vegan diet. Weight watchers seem dodgy to me if they were really interested in the consumer and not the money they would possibly notify greenpeace on there position towards GMO but they don't so who knows whats in there food.

Simple carb will last like an hour or two complex 4 hours, apart from ebergy from activity, they are also used to heat you, when you start to feel colder you have runout of energy.
    Yah i lost 10 or so kilos in less then a week, more then 10% of my total body weight. Does weight watchers have a success story such as that?
    The low GI diet which should be your diet anyway being vegan is the only diet that works, the others cause other problems, the lower the GI the slower the carbs are released, a sweetener in the supermarket which is fruit derived fructose has a GI rating of 17, this is the lowest I've seen mentioned on a product. The best time to eat fruit is in the morning or at lunch after that it shouldn't be neccessary before you sleep.

I have hypoglycemia, so eating low GI is a way of life for me. And I eat a lot of fruit, particularly apples and bananas. I think any diet that limits fruit is rediculous - fruit (and veg) contain so many antioxidants and vitamins that prevent and fight cancer, that it makes no sense to restrict them!

As a diabetic I had a very high glucose level, and after discussing my food regimen with my doc, he advised me to cut out watermelon which has very high GI. He recommended other fruits, and probably I have a serving of 5 different fruits each day. The doc also advised me to increase my exercise regime, and for the last several months my glucose reading is in the 'normal' range, and I take no medication, just controlling the level by food and exercise.

Everyone knows about GI, but I had been in ignorance of it at that time. Now I'm careful, and like Banana, eating low GI is a way of life for me too. I also eat from apples, banana, prunes, blueberries, cherries, pawpaw, in the main. Cryospark is also right that the low GI diet for a vegan is the only diet that works, and that the lower the GI the slower the carbs are released. I don't really watch carbs, but believe that by eating grainy bread or brown rice, that is low carb anyway.
    Eve

Cryospark

GI is easy to check, you could do the same thing with your food in water see how quick it breaks up the quicker the higher the GI, not a foolproof test but yah. It is self evident when you look at wholegrain or brown rice when you look at their less healthy counterparts, they simply take alot longer to absorb water.
    You can see how watermelon is high GI because of its liquid content.
    GI diet is the diet that works for everyone not just vegans though some health conditions prevent it, the majority of people don't have diseases that prevent the breaking down of certain chemicals.

Pilaf

You should avoid or limit processed sugars only. Fructose from natural fruits is digested and broken down very differently in the body. Of course diabetic people should consult their doctor.

...er...sorry everyone ..but what does GI stand for??

the glycemic index it means the level of glucose in each food. (i think, either that or just simply the impact each food has on your blood sugar level)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Cryospark
    You can see how watermelon is high GI because of its liquid content.
    Apples and oranges have alow GI and they are watery too

Default The 5 a day for health ads...

So the government reckon that we should eat 2 fruit and 3 veg each day for health...but the Canadian recommendation is 5 - 10 serves! Can someone please verify why we don't need as much?

Quote foxytina_69
    the glycemic index it means the level of glucose in each food. (i think, either that or just simply the impact each food has on your blood sugar level)

so low gi content is good and high is bad, right?

anyone have a definitive of list of fruits and gi content then?

Cryospark

Quote Banana
    Apples and oranges have alow GI and they are watery too
    citric acid isn't water
    Some companies put the number on the box
    a cereal is around 40 gi muesli and such you put milk in it the average gi raises as the cereal is broken down by the milk, I have dry cereal and why am i up at 4am....

Seaside

The Glycemic Index is a measure of how any given food causes a rise in blood glucose after it is eaten. Glucose is given a score of 100, and all other foods are given a score according to how they compare to glucose in causing a blood sugar spike. The problem with the system is that it considers carrots a high GI food, and therefore bad for you if you are worried about your blood sugar control, and that par-boiled white rice has the lowest GI of all rices, recommending it over brown rice, which is a poor nutritional choice when it comes to fiber and nutrients.

What is not taken into account is that foods that are naturally low calorie or low carbohydrate are not going to have the impact as the same volume of pure glucose. For example, eating a tablespoon of pure white sugar is going to send your blood glucose way higher than a tablespoon of carrot or potato (another high GI food). Also, fiber, protein, and fat content of mixed meals will lower the GI of any carbohydrate in ways that cannot be quantified easily.

The key is moderation in any food choice. No one is going to sit down and eat 2 lbs. of carrots, or a whole watermelon, to the exclusion of other nutritious foods at mealtime. For people who are diabetic or hypoglycemic, GIs are a helpful tool in managing blood sugar through diet. People without these health concerns do not have to worry about eating enough fruits to cause blood sugar problems.

If you are substituting sodas and candy for whole fruits, though, or even dried fruits as opposed to fresh ones, you may have a problem!

cedarblue, here's a listing of foods showing their GI levels:
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...emic_index.php
    Eve

Zool

Quote Seaside
    The key is moderation in any food choice. No one is going to sit down and eat 2 lbs. of carrots, or a whole watermelon, to the exclusion of other nutritious foods at mealtime.
    I hate to admit it but the other day I sat down and ate an entire watermelon in one sitting.

I've done that in the past
    Eve

Cryospark

Quote Seaside
    The Glycemic Index is a measure of how any given food causes a rise in blood glucose after it is eaten. Glucose is given a score of 100, and all other foods are given a score according to how they compare to glucose in causing a blood sugar spike. The problem with the system is that it considers carrots a high GI food
    This is not a problem with the system, there is no problem with the GI system it is simply what it is. The only problem is when people put it into use incorrectly.
    These foods are high GI because they contain alot of starch, which is how carbohydrates are stored in plants for later use. Starch is more readily usable by the human body for it is not very complex.
    It is very simple
    low GI to moderate in the morning
    High GI later in the day
    So as you use up the carbohydrates before sleep. This is why you could possible eat any food you want on this diet, just at the correct time. Limiting fat intake and protein is just a better way of going about it.

Quote Peas'nHominy
    My understanding is it's best to have just a couple of fruit servings per day. But I've heard some doctors tell some people to have only one. Then I know some folks who just totally pig-out on fruit.

And I'm wondering, what about for those folks who are high risk for developing diabetes? (it's on both sides of my family)
    Quote adam antichrist
    I have never heard anyone recommend limiting fruit intake!
    Presently there is a media campaign by federal health department in Australia recommending everybody eat (a total of) 5 serves of fruit and vegetables every day.

In the UK we've also got a government campaign to get people to eat at least 5 portions of fruit & veg a day. I've never heard of limiting fruit intake either, but I suppose if you ate a lot of dried fruit or drank a lot of fruit juice it may be bad if you have diabetes. Personally I usually have at least 6 portions of fruit a day (including juice and dried fruit), and I'm OK so far!

From what I've heard, the current increase in adult-onset diabetes has been caused by kids eating way too much refined carbohydrates, ie white flour and sugar, rather than too much fruit!
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Cryospark

Default Re: The 5 a day for health ads...

They need more because they eat to much maple syrup otherwise ;p
    We need just as much as them, our government is saying atleast that amount aren't they? better then nothing i guess.

Peas'nHominy, do Texan doctors recommend how many potions of MEAT a person should eat every day

I heard that it's against the law to disparage the meat industry in Texas

Thanks to everyone for the info about GI, I didn't know what it was either.

Seaside

Posted by Zool:
    I hate to admit it but the other day I sat down and ate an entire watermelon in one sitting.
    Posted by eve:
    I've done that in the past

I didn't think it was possible, though I can imagine why you would want to. I can eat a whole one of those cute little yellow cantaloupe-sized watermelons in one go, but not a ten-pounder!

Seaside

Posted by Cryospark:
    This is not a problem with the system, there is no problem with the GI system it is simply what it is.
    The authors of the book themselves admit that it is a problem that the classification of healthy foods like carrots and potatoes as foods to avoid because of their high glycemic index will cause people to choose less healthy foods with lower GIs. If a system that has components in it that are inherently easy to misunderstand it is a problem, which is why the emphasis is now on mixed meals, rather than single foods.

Cryospark

Seems simple enough to me ;p that's the authors of a diet based on the Index I'd assume, not the index itself because it rates things indiscrimately. I removed the word system because it can be confused with diet, things are easily lost in translation ;p
    Hmm I wanna houseboat too

Quote kokopelli
    Peas'nHominy, do Texan doctors recommend how many potions of MEAT a person should eat every day
    Yes! Great point! Thank you! *duh, what was I thinking*

Well, my kids will be VERY happy to get their fill of fruit now. Fortunately, my kids also love veggies.

The hard part for me right now, though, is my new foster daughter, who is sadly obese, will eat fruit all day but no veggies. I'm trying to get her up to 3 servings of veggies a day. She is really enjoying learning about these things and is trying, but it's hard for her. She is almost 7 and not use to eating vegetables! Her fingernails and toenails were even peeling from lack of proper nutrition.

She was also not use to drinking water, but she's conquered that now. She's been losing a couple of pounds a week since she's been with me, and basically all I've done so far is changed her drinking habits, sugar-eating habits, and take her to playgrounds a lot. I haven't even tried to put her on a "diet" - just trying to provide for her as I do my own kids. But I was worried about the fruit.

Kurmudgeon

Default Re: The 5 a day for health ads...

I recently heard/read we need 14 serves of veggies.

It sounds like you're doing a great job. Peas'nHominy
    I wouldn't worry about the fruit too much! She'll probably gradually get a taste for veggies the longer she stays with you. Maybe she'd like salads better than cooked veg, since she likes fruit so much. Maybe she'd eat grated carrot, celery, lettuce, parsley etc, if it was mixed with chopped fruit in a salad.

Anyway, as my son reminded me today, lots of stuff that's classified as vegetables is actually fruit, like tomatoes, cucumber, peppers etc.

Seaside

Quote Cryospark
    Hmm I wanna houseboat too

Quote kokopelli
    Maybe she'd eat grated carrot, celery, lettuce, parsley etc, if it was mixed with chopped fruit in a salad.
    Very good idea!!

Question Too Many Fruits and Veggies??

Is it possible to eat TOO MANY fruits and Veggies as long as you're getting enough calories? I usually eat at least 5 servings of veggies a day and 7 servings of fruit, which is way more than the USDA recomends. How much is too much??

Default Re: Too Many Fruits and Veggies??

Wow, I bet you're definitely getting a lot of vitamins! The only problem I could think of would too much fiber, and then having to go to the bathroom all the time. Is that happening?

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Fruits and Veggies - too little, too much

On a good day, I get around/up to 20 servings of vegetables and fruits (mostly vegetables and up to 3 servings of fruit). I never have a problem visiting the loo too often

Some doctors (pro veg*n ones) say that eating no more than a few servings of fruit a day is best and that the focus should be on vegetables. I am sure you can see who I listen to, based on my preferences

Nope, not really... I pee a lot though, because I drink a lot of water.

Is there a problem getting enough protein with mostly vegetables ConsciousCuisine? I've only been Vegan for a few months, so I'm pretty new at this...

ConsciousCuisine

veggiegirl3, it depends on what else you eat Also, which veggies you choose to eat. Broccoli has a good amount of high-quality protein.

When I am "on plan" I eat fruits and vegetables and also make sure I get beans, lentils and a small amount of grains, nuts and seeds.