Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me move to London!

Default Help me move to London!

This is not really related to anything vegan (sorry!), but I am moving to London in late September (to study at LSE for a year) and I have some questions which I'm hoping some of you guys who live in London can answer.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the mobile network Three? They seem to be the only network that has 12-month contracts (correct me if I'm wrong there), so I'm looking into getting a phone through them. I've heard that in some areas their coverage is kind of spotty, but I would assume they have good coverage in London...does anyone know?

2. Are there a lot of branches of Lloyd's banks around? (I would hope there are.) I am getting an account through them.

3. Can someone please explain the taxi system to me? I heard that it's really dangerous to travel solo in an unlicensed taxi, but how do you know what's a "safe" taxi and what's unlicensed?

Thanks so much, and I hope to meet up with London VF-ers when I'm over there.

Default Re: Help me move to London!

I can't answer your questions but I'm moving to England in late-September to study, too! We'll be England-in-late-September-to-study-buddies!! I'll be in Brighton, but I hope to meet you at one of the VF gatherings.

And the answers to these questions could definitely be useful to me as well.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I can't answer your questions but I'm moving to England in late-September to study, too! We'll be England-in-late-September-to-study-buddies!! I'll be in Brighton, but I hope to meet you at one of the VF gatherings.

And the answers to these questions could definitely be useful to me as well.
    Awesome!! Yes, hopefully we'll meet up at a VF gathering. (I imagine you'll visit London from time to time?)
    Well I guess this will be a good thread for both of us to get answers to our last-minute questions about England. :smile: BTW, matt, are you going to be there for a full year? And if so, did you enjoy the visa application process? (Talk about detailed!)

I definitely plan to go to London from time to time. I believe that Brighton is only about an hour away. And yes, I'll be there for a year.

I HATED the visa application process. The details, fine, I can deal with that. But when I applied online, they sprung this biometrics stuff on me! While I applied a month ago, I had to wait over two weeks for the first available appointment for me to go to San Jose (30 minutes away) and get fingerprinted before I could send my materials to be given my visa, whereas the last time I applied for a visa, I could send my materials right after applying. So the process effectively took two and a half weeks longer than I anticipated, just for my fingerprints. Ah well. I got an e-mail from the consulate today saying that I should be getting it in the mail soon, but I initially hoped to have it 2 weeks ago. I feel like it's cutting it close, since I leave in 3 weeks, but really I should be fine. Whew.

Hello

1. Don't know, sorry

2. Yes, lots of branches of Lloyds. These are the ones near Kingsway, where (the main bit of) the LSE is.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...e-results&cd=1

3. Taxis: black cabs (which aren't always black) are pretty safe as far as I know as they are licensed, so you can hail one in the street. Minicabs may or may not have licenses so it's best to order them from a firm that has been licensed, not pick one up in the street. More here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...es/DG_10036282

3 only works in 'urban centres' - my university isn't that far out of our city centre, though, and my 3-using friends have trouble getting a signal there. So I'd be wary of signing up for this, especially if you ever plan on going out of London. Your best bet might be to get a pay as you go phone when you get here - then it can be kept and re-used on future visits. (Tesco do these if you can't find anywhere else quickly)
    As for Lloyds, there are loads of branches and cashpoints around, and you can also (probably - I don't know what the conditions are for international students as mine all use Natwest) use your card in other banks' machines. Actual banks won't charge you for using these. There are cashpoints that charge - they tend to be the ones attached to corner shops and in pubs though.
    Also, this may have occurred to you already, but if not - get an oyster card! You can buy these online or at tube stations and use them on tubes, buses and trains within London. And save a shedload of money doing so.
    Good luck - maybe see you at Christmas without Cruelty?
    Last edited by Lisey_duck; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: DUH forgot something
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I definitely plan to go to London from time to time. I believe that Brighton is only about an hour away. And yes, I'll be there for a year.

I HATED the visa application process. The details, fine, I can deal with that. But when I applied online, they sprung this biometrics stuff on me! While I applied a month ago, I had to wait over two weeks for the first available appointment for me to go to San Jose (30 minutes away) and get fingerprinted before I could send my materials to be given my visa, whereas the last time I applied for a visa, I could send my materials right after applying. So the process effectively took two and a half weeks longer than I anticipated, just for my fingerprints. Ah well. I got an e-mail from the consulate today saying that I should be getting it in the mail soon, but I initially hoped to have it 2 weeks ago. I feel like it's cutting it close, since I leave in 3 weeks, but really I should be fine. Whew.
    Ugh, that sounds awful. I hope you get your visa in time! I heard about the biometrics beforehand, so I was expecting that (although it does seem a little ridiculous to want every single fingerprint instead of just a thumbprint). What made me really mad was when I tried to ask a question after having my biometrics taken and was told they couldn't answer any of my questions at the biometrics center but I could call some phone number for $5/minute or something insane like that.

Quote harpy View Post
    Hello

1. Don't know, sorry

2. Yes, lots of branches of Lloyds. These are the ones near Kingsway, where (the main bit of) the LSE is.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...e-results&cd=1

3. Taxis: black cabs (which aren't always black) are pretty safe as far as I know as they are licensed, so you can hail one in the street. Minicabs may or may not have licenses so it's best to order them from a firm that has been licensed, not pick one up in the street. More here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...es/DG_10036282
    Great, thanks for the info on Lloyd's, harpy...looks like they have quite a few branches near LSE. Lol, black cabs aren't always black? So how do you know if a non-black cab is actually a black cab?

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    3 only works in 'urban centres' - my university isn't that far out of our city centre, though, and my 3-using friends have trouble getting a signal there. So I'd be wary of signing up for this, especially if you ever plan on going out of London. Your best bet might be to get a pay as you go phone when you get here - then it can be kept and re-used on future visits. (Tesco do these if you can't find anywhere else quickly)
    As for Lloyds, there are loads of branches and cashpoints around, and you can also (probably - I don't know what the conditions are for international students as mine all use Natwest) use your card in other banks' machines. Actual banks won't charge you for using these. There are cashpoints that charge - they tend to be the ones attached to corner shops and in pubs though.
    Also, this may have occurred to you already, but if not - get an oyster card! You can buy these online or at tube stations and use them on tubes, buses and trains within London. And save a shedload of money doing so.
    Good luck - maybe see you at Christmas without Cruelty?
    Thanks for the info on Lloyd's and three (good to know about 3). Yes, I'd been told to get an oyster card, but I'd forgotten, so thanks for reminding me. Yes, I am planning to go to Christmas without Cruelty, so I will hopefully see you there!

RebeccaDye

Cool, my brother goes to LSE and loves it!

1. Alot of other phone companies have 12 month contracts. Personally, I'm with 02 who do 12 month contracts: http://shop.o2.co.uk/Great_Deals_Pay_Monthly. It depends how regularly you'll be using your phone but I find Pay As You Go to be better value and there's this offer on at the moment http://freesim.o2.co.uk/messages.php...ox-_-Unlimited

Lol, black cabs aren't always black? So how do you know if a non-black cab is actually a black cab?
    This should clarify: http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/Taxi.htm

Good luck

Licenced taxi cabs have a plate on the back stating so and will have a card inside with the drivers photo on. You generally get them by going to a specific taxi point or calling them, unlicenced taxis don't generally have the sign on the top of their cars and won't be at taxi points.

As for the phone, I too would go with a pay as you go, unless you intend on using it alot or want a new and state of the art handset then pay as you go is cheaper.

Go with smile for your bank account if you can, more ethical than lloyds. They have no branches but you can use post offices instead and there's loads of them.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

matt35mm - licensed taxis in Brighton look like this:

Oh thanks, Ruby Rose! A picture is very helpful.

Are you going to be at Univ of Sussex or Brighton Uni?

Uni. Sussex!

BlackCats

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Uni. Sussex!
    (That's where I wanted to go but they rejected me *cries*)

I'm learning a lot from this thread, I didn't even know that about unlicensed taxis.

I did my first degree there! There were some Junior Year Abroad Americans I met who have remained among my closest friends for 20 years since then! You'll love it.

Sweet! Yes, I'd love to make some lifelong friends that I can visit from time to time after I'm done with the year. I'm pretty sure I'll love it, yes.

BlackCats, I'm sure it was easier to get in as an international student. You should have just moved out of the country and applied that way!

Stu

Hackney Cabs (or 'Black' Cabs) have a very distinct design:

So just look for a car like that, but it might not be black. Oh, and they tend to have adverts plastered all over them these days.
    You can't pre-book them; you literally just flag them down on the street.

Minicabs are ordinary cars, but they have to be pre-booked. Try yell.com (Yellow Pages website) under 'taxi' for your local minicab companies. Hackney cabs are usually a lot more expensive than minicabs.

Three is a rubbish network in terms of signal coverage; don't go with them.

Lloyds have more branches than any other bank.

Thanks for all the info on taxis and the pics, guys--very helpful! When I was in London a few years ago I took a cab once and I seem to remember it as being black with maybe one advert on it...at any rate, it definitely looked like the style in the black cab pic posted by Stu.

And thanks to everyone for the info on mobiles. I do tend to use my phone a lot, but I'm really not sure how much I'll use it in London. I won't be calling my family on it, obviously, but I do text people constantly...

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Cool, my brother goes to LSE and loves it!
    Awesome, what does he study at LSE? I'll be doing Government.

matt35mm, when do you leave for England?

I leave on 22 Sept (I'm trying to get used to writing the day then month), arrive in London on the 23rd, hang out/explore by myself until the 25th, when I'll have to do an official orientation until the 28th, after which I'll leave for Brighton.

I have the evening of the 23rd, all day 24th, and the morning and early afternoon of the 25th COMPLETELY to myself and I'd like to hang out with some of y'all in London during this time.

When do you leave, Mariana?

I actually arrive 23 Sept as well (yeah, I need to get used to writing day then month as well )! Maybe I'll be able to hang out with you while you're in London. My mom is coming with me to London though (she wants a little vacation, lol), so we'll see...I might need to entertain her, haha.

I have a more specific question about my visa if anyone knows anything about visas!
    My visa is valid from 23 September, but I'm planning to fly out of the US the 22nd and arrive in London the 23rd. Since I'll be arriving in the UK the 23rd, is that okay, or do you think I should change my flight to the 23rd? Anyone know anything? One of my friends, who has a lot of experience with visas, told me the worst that can happen is I'll be "grounded" in the US airport overnight...which is fine with me as long as I don't have to pay any extra to have my flight changed.

I can't say for sure on the visa thing, but I think you should be fine.

I'd still like to hang out with you and your mother, if it works out. Unless she'd find that strange. Because really otherwise I'd just be wandering alone or staying in my room.

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I can't say for sure on the visa thing, but I think you should be fine.

I'd still like to hang out with you and your mother, if it works out. Unless she'd find that strange. Because really otherwise I'd just be wandering alone or staying in my room.
    I think I'm going to e-mail LSE on the visa thing; hopefully they can be of help (since I know for sure I can't call the British consulate--they'll just refer me to the $5/minute phoneline ). Hopefully I won't have to change my flight.
    Hmm, I'm guessing my mom would be weird about "people I met online" but let me know what your plans are/if you're meeting up with anyone and maybe I'll be able to come. Although, I'm guessing I'll probably be free just as you're busy with orientation...I'm planning to run around like crazy the first few days finding stuff for my room (I have my own kitchen so i'll need all my own pots and pans and stuff). But I probably won't be as busy after I've settled into my room, 26 September...any chance you'll have time to meet up after your orientation's started, or do you reckon you'll be really busy then?

I think I'll be busy during those orientation times, except for maybe an hour here and there. They pretty much have it planned.

I'm sure we'll meet at some point. If I find out more details that make it convenient for us to meet, I'll let you know.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    matt35mm - licensed taxis in Brighton look like this

These cabs can also be flagged down in the street if their light is on (although in daylight it is much harder to see their lights than on the London cabs). Also these cabs are all painted the same colours (white and turquoise/ teal) but they can be any car, including estates cars, people carriers and 'London' taxi's. If you pre-book you can order the type of car you need.
    Also just worth noting that if you pre-book a cab using the telephone numbers displayed on these 'official' cabs you may get one of these or an unmarked car, depending on which cab is closest to you.
    Last edited by Marrers; Sep 4th, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to add & clarify
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I think I'll be busy during those orientation times, except for maybe an hour here and there. They pretty much have it planned.

I'm sure we'll meet at some point. If I find out more details that make it convenient for us to meet, I'll let you know.
    Ok, well let me know. I just remembered my mom might be going to some sort of 'parent orientation' event 24 Sept or 25 Sept so if I get rid of her, so to speak, for a day maybe I'll be able to meet up with you. Otherwise, I am sure I'll see you at some point or another.

RebeccaDye

Awesome, what does he study at LSE? I'll be doing Government.
    Nice! He studies History.

Nothsa

In terms of mobile networks.... you might want to try 'Blyk' if you wont be using it too much + want to save a few £££!
    You get 217 ( I think) txts and 42 call minutes for free, they just send you adverts every now and again (really not many at all!). Coverage is pretty good, i've never had it go on me.

If you're between 16 - 24 (you have to be, for some reason), I'd deffo check them out, even if it's just a back-up sim card.

www.blyk.co.uk

I've been looking into pay as you go phones and I find it really confusing...could someone who's familiar with them/uses them explain please? What is a "top-up" and where do you do it? Do you have to "top-up" every month? Sorry if I sound completely technologically inept, it's just that I'm not used to pay as you go phones.

A pay-as-you-go mobile phone is one where you have no contract. You pay for the airtime you use when you use it. The call charges and text charges are usually higher than for a contract phone (and you generally don't get free minutes or texts as you do with a contract phone). You need to buy credit or airtime before you use the phone (unlike a contract phone where you pay for your calls after you have made them).

Usually with a pay as you go phone you have to buy the handset yourself, whereas with a contract the company will throw in the latest handset and upgrades.

I use Orange Pay as You Go. I buy airtime from supermarkets, post offices, petrol stations and newsagents when I need it. You can also buy airtime by calling up the company and using a debit card. This is 'topping up' your credit. Personally, I buy about £50 of airtime every four months or so, but it will depend on how much you chat on the phone. The phone companies try to encourage you to top up regularly, and some offer some special deals where you have to commit to buying a certain amount of airtime every month. Personally I don't see the point of this.

I'm pretty sure you can also top up online (which is what I'll do) or in some shops or maybe grocery stores.

There's no shortage of places who can do top ups, certainly. Most of the bank hole-in-the-wall machines do top ups too.

Also, don't be daunted by having to buy the handset - I had to get a payg phone in an emergency once (nothing dramatic, just my normal phone going on the blink at a time when I needed to be in contact with people!) and the rather basic handset was about £15. Admittedly if it's going to be your only cellphone for a year you might want something less basic, but at least you have the choice.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

Thanks for the so much for the explanation, Ruby Rose. I thought you had to top up a certain amount each month!
    Yeah, lisey_duck, I am a bit daunted by having to buy the handset...will have to look into pricing. I'm not sure how much I'll use the phone. I tend to use my phone a lot now (esp for texting), so maybe in the end it would be cheaper to do a contract. I'm really not sure, especially since I know incoming calls and texts are usually free there (right?), so that will take up less of my minutes and texts... I guess I need to start doing some calculating.

Stu

Quote mariana View Post
    ...especially since I know incoming calls and texts are usually free there (right?)...
    Yep. Do you guys have to pay to receive texts and calls? That's seriously messed up, if you do.

Quote Stu View Post
    Yep. Do you guys have to pay to receive texts and calls? That's seriously messed up, if you do.
    Yes, and it is seriously messed up! I've even gotten 'junk' texts before (like "want a 'friend' tonight?" kind of texts) and had to pay for them!

How much do you have to pay to receive texts in USA?!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    How much do you have to pay to receive texts in USA?!
    The same as for sending them. I'm not sure how much since I have a text messaging 'bundle,' but I believe it's usally $0.15 for each text sent or received. At least, I believe that to be true of most networks. At any rate, it's kind of ridiculous.

you should never have to pay to receive calls or texts! That is despicable!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    you should never have to pay to receive calls or texts! That is despicable!
    I agree!! And I bet it will be a very unpleasant experience moving back to the US next year and having to go back to paying to receive calls and texts. Maybe I better not go back.

I was talking to a friend who lives in Canada and he said texting hasn't really taken off over there because it is so expensive.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

that's very odd. some networks here charge to listen to voicemails and that's extortionate enough. i guess UK mobiles aren't as much of a rip-off as i thought.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that's very odd. some networks here charge to listen to voicemails and that's extortionate enough. i guess UK mobiles aren't as much of a rip-off as i thought.
    That I find odd. It's free for me to listen to voicemails, though I'm not sure about other US networks.

Well here you can get plans that include unlimited texts, but they cost more, so in effect you're still paying for them.

I already have a phone (I won one in a random drawing from the Education Abroad program that I'm going through), so I should just have to get a SIM card and then top it up? Then all texts are free and calling someone costs money? Did you guys also say that incoming phone calls are free??

It should be ok. You need to check it'll work with the frequencies used in the UK, 900 & 1800. If it's Tri-Band it'll work but apprently there's 2 different types of tri-band phones, one does 900/1800/1900 and one does 850/1800/1900, both will work but the first will work better. If it's quad band it'll work perfectly.

If that's ok, then yes, you just need to buy (or you can often get them posted to you for free from the net) a pay as you go sim card and top it up (they often come with some credit to begin with). Sending texts are usually about 12p/min, making calls, costs vary. It's free to receive both calls and texts (except premium rate texts).
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Stu

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Then all texts are free and calling someone costs money? Did you guys also say that incoming phone calls are free??
    Texts are not free on pay-as-you-go phones. They cost about 12p per text, usually. Incoming texts and calls are free. The only time you would pay to receive a text, is when you've subscribed to some rip-off premium thing, where you sign up to receive info about a football club or something like that.

Quote Risker View Post
    Sending texts are usually about 12p/min...
    He means 12p per text, the silly little kitten.

Thanks Risker and Stu for explaining. I understand it pretty well now.

The phone I have is a used one from someone who did this UK study program before me, so it is one that was purchased and used in England, and should work just fine with a new SIM card.

Stu

Yeah, and you can probably get a SIM card for free. I think Virgin will send you one in the post for free, but only to a UK address I expect.

that's cool Matt, you'll have to give us all your number - mobiles have proved pretty useful for arranging meet-ups!

i have some PAYG o2 sim cards, by the way, if anyone wants one.