Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salad cream

Question Salad cream

Has anyone tried to make salad cream? I don't mean mayo but the much more vinegary salad cream?

Default Re: Salad cream

Well you can buy some vegan salad cream over here, so i've not felt the need to. You could try wizzing some silken tofu up with mustard, cider vinegar, oil, salt etc, to taste? Give it a go and see!

sugarmouse

I tried yesterday!It went horribly wrong.lol

cobweb

bryzee where can you get vegan salad cream (as opposed to mayonnaise). I've hear people mention it before but never can remember where it's found?.

I got tesco's healthy living one last time. Someone mentioned Asda doing one I think?

cobweb

oh, i'm stuffed then! - was hoping it might be co-op or somerfield!

Morrisons low fat one is vegan, as is one of the asda ones.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Oh yeah...it was you who said about the asda one. Sorry!

cobweb

Quote Risker View Post
    well i'm still stuffed, then, we only have a co-op, a somerfield (that didn't get taken over by morrisons) and a lidl here .
    never mind, i did find plamil mayo here recently so that'll do nicely.

Creams are the tough part,the vegan "Nayonaise" s replace the emulsive capacity of eggs with something, probably lecithin, or some other oil-water mixer. I find that using this as a base, combined with some tahini makes a nice twist.

I would use as a base, 1-2 TB of very light tahini, mix it with 1-2 tsp of vegan mayonnaise, and mix that very well-- it can be thick like peanut butter at this point. Then add a TB of wine vinegar, or lemon juice. I would whip in a bit of water, up to 1/4 cup to get the proper consitency. season with dill, or a bit of grated lemon rind with some poppy seeds, finely chopped parsley and very finely chopped French shallots (that look like little purple onions with a brown skin). some Dijon mustard is very nice, the old style with the seeds is nice too. a good pinch of salt. Many commercial Vegan mayonaise is actually too sweet for my liking, but with enough acidity and salt, it is less overwhelming.

I looked for months and tried many recipes for mayo and salad cream without success until this....

Soyannaise - the recipe is from a book called VEGAN it is by tony weston and Yvonne Bishop and it is a really great book. Make this recipe and then buy the book and make the AMAZING recipes in it.

This is the easiest recipe to make ever and I will never buy mayo or salad cream again after making and tasting it.

125ml - 4fl oz Sweetened soya milk
    pinch of salt
    100ml - 3.5 fl oz of sunflower oil
    1 dessertspoon of white wine vinegar
    1 garlic clove (optional)
    1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
    25ml - 1fl oz flax oil

Put the soya milk and salt into a saucepan and heat until hot, but not boiling.

While whisking the milk with an electric mixer or hand held blender (I use a stick type blender) add the oil and vinegar.

Still whisking add the crushed garlic if using and the mustard and flax oil. Refrigerate and use as required. It will keep for up to a week. I use more vinegar for the salad cream version.

And that is it - really really easy and the result is fantastico. I didnt use the garlic and i added more vinegar. I also used Frenchs American mustard - I prefer this mustard it tastes like the juice in piccallili.

I really can't recommend this book highly enough it introduced me to a product called Ackee as well which is a tropical fruit used in Jamaican cooking. It looks and has the same feel as egg yolk and there is a recipe for quiche using ackee in this book which tastes amazing (not like eggs).
    Last edited by vava; Sep 15th, 2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

I've got this book and agree, it's fantastic. I made the soyannaise and it is good. I hadn't thought to try making it more vinegary to make salad cream.
    I found a recipe for a mayo which was easier though. It is from a little cook book from the Treehouse in Norwich (closed now sadly). 175ml sunflower oil, 25ml lemon juice, 100ml unsweetened soya milk, salt and pepper to taste. I add 1tsp dijon mustard and 1/2tsp sugar. Just put everything together and liquidise. I use one of those hand held plunger thingies. Very easy and much superior to anything you can buy in my opinion.
    Back to the book though, the only thing I find a bit off putting is some of the rather obscure ingredients which are difficult to find and expensive as well. Having said that, I just adjust the recipes to what I have and they still taste good! It would be nice to know what they are meant to taste like though! Mild coconut curry and pecan pie are my favourites.
    My daughter (20) and a friend made us a six course meal a few weeks ago and the main course was Inca parcels from 'Vegan'. The used cous cous instead of amaranth, arame instead of seaweed flakes, olive oil instead of the required pumpkin seed oil and avocado oil and ordinary paprika instead of smoked paprika (I had some of that once and didn't like it one bit so that was fine). The result was great, in fact the whole meal was wonderful. I would rate it higher than Millenium in SF Unfortunately she is off to uni on Sunday so I don't suppose this will happen again for quite a while if ever.

Quote cobweb View Post
    well i'm still stuffed, then, we only have a co-op, a somerfield (that didn't get taken over by morrisons) and a lidl here .
    never mind, i did find plamil mayo here recently so that'll do nicely.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a vegan salad cream in the co-op. Once again, it's one of the low fat ones. I have a feeling I bought it but was too scared to try it (especially as it has artificial sweeteners in which I usually avoid) and it went past the sell by date.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

yes, i buy Co-op low fat salad cream, tastes just like i remember it from before i was vegan.

cobweb

i had a look but couldn't find any in co-op or tesco, the ones here only have limited ranges of everything, but i have gone back to good old Plamil mayo anyway!.

Sainsburys "Be Good To Yourself" salad cream (the low fat one) is vegan - the only cruelty-free one out of a whole 4-foot section

I wish I knew what salad cream was.
    Is it salad dressing?
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

It's like mayo but a bit thinner and more vinegary. Much stronger flavour than mayo. Really good in salad sandwiches!

Ohh, I thought-never mind. Is it a bit like Miracle Whip?

err, we don't have Miracle Whip in the UK. salad cream is yellowish, thicker than salad dressing but still runny, and like a very strong vinegary mayonnaise. very nice on chips/fries

Hmmm, I wanna try some of this veganized then. Miracle Whip is sort of like that, it's a bit sweeter than regular mayo though, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to put it on fries/chips.
    I guess it's not the same, but people use it for tuna and turkey sandwiches and whatnot.

Quote twinkle View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a vegan salad cream in the co-op. Once again, it's one of the low fat ones. I have a feeling I bought it but was too scared to try it (especially as it has artificial sweeteners in which I usually avoid) and it went past the sell by date.
    I bought this aswell, and only used a little bit. I didn't like it, it isn't the same as the stuff I had before being vegan. I was also put off by the artificial sweeteners but was just happy that I found a vegan one. I've got loads of it left though - maybe I'll try it again.
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

i like a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard. not sure if that's creamy enough though but it's good
    Piggy

Good news everyone!

Waistline salad cream has a new "improved" recipe, it's been "improved" with... egg

i hope Sainsburys and Co-op don't follow suit with their low-fat versions!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Plums...

Ah well, I still have half a bottle left that needs using up.

Wait...
    So it's like vinegary mayo and you eat it on lettuce?!

I don't think I'd describe it as vinegary mayo, it does have a mayonaisse like consistency but it tastes a lot stronger, not really in a vinegary way though.

I think salad cream is miracle whip. If that's true then you folks are odd ones for putting it on lettuce.

It says on wikipedia that in the states you can get stuff just called 'salad dressing' that is like salad cream.

wiki article

I'm not a fan. Too sweet. I don't like ketchup or brown sauce either though, so I'm probably just odd

the one from co-op is really tasty

I've just bought some of the Sainsbury's low fat salad cream which is labeled as suitable for vegans. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to having some in a salad sandwich tomorrow for lunch. I haven't had salad cream since I went vegan as I assumed they all had egg in.

I will report back. Watch this space.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I've had the co op low fat one but I thought it was rather bland.

Quote Cherry View Post
    I'm not a fan. Too sweet. I don't like ketchup or brown sauce either though, so I'm probably just odd
    i don't like brown sauce, but i thought everyone liked ketchup

Quote beanstew View Post
    I've just bought some of the Sainsbury's low fat salad cream which is labeled as suitable for vegans. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to having some in a salad sandwich tomorrow for lunch. I haven't had salad cream since I went vegan as I assumed they all had egg in.

I will report back. Watch this space.
    to me, both the Sainsburys and Co-op vegan salad creams taste just like i remember the non-vegan ones. i don't think the egg makes much difference to the flavour.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The Sainsbury's one tastes just like I remember Heinz as well. It's been over ten years since I had any though. I enjoyed my salad and salad cream sandwiches and will be eating more another day.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

So, that's where I can get my hands on some salad cream..............Sainsburys! Thank goodness for that, I used to get it at Asda but haven't been able to lately...........so it's off to Sainsburys then for me!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Cherry View Post
    It says on wikipedia that in the states you can get stuff just called 'salad dressing' that is like salad cream.

wiki article

So I went to a Fresh N Easy today and they had SALAD CREAM! Not vegan. But now that I have seen it I can say that it is definitely basically Miracle Whip, which one puts on turkey sandwiches and such.

Salad dressing in the USA is stuff that goes strictly on lettuce salads, not on sandwiches. Like ranch dressing and italian dressing or balsamic vinagrette. Not like Miracle Whip.

Now for my next question: What is brown sauce?!?!?!?!

"Brown sauce" that we eat in the UK is probably similar to steak sauce in the US. We tend to eat it on other foods than steaks though (obviously vegans would anyway!).

Quote Risker View Post
    didnt know that,thanx risker morrisons is my local supermarket,will but some next time i go
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Quote genisis View Post
    didnt know that,thanx risker morrisons is my local supermarket,will but some next time i go
    I don't think it is any more

oh no! that is a real shame.but i will check the ingredients just in case ;-)
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Quote Gorilla View Post
    "Brown sauce" that we eat in the UK is probably similar to steak sauce in the US. We tend to eat it on other foods than steaks though (obviously vegans would anyway!).
    Well I am always up for a new steak sauce so I'm gonna find some brown sauce and try it. Thanks for the info!

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    Well I am always up for a new steak sauce so I'm gonna find some brown sauce and try it. Thanks for the info!
    Daddies and HP are the major brands here. Both vegan and very tasty. I like brown sauce in sausage sandwiches, on Linda M. Country pies with mashed potato and generously dolloped over that famous British delicacy beans on toast (think I'll go make this now in fact).

Be warned that hospitlisation can be required after contact with HP sauce.

Quote Risker View Post
    I don't think it is any more

I checked the ingredients to the light salad cream:

water,sunflower oil,sugar,spirit vinegar,maize strch,salt,mustard flour, flavouring,stabilisers (guar gum,xanthan gum),

.........looking good so far ........but then...

colour (riboflavin) how annoying

riboflavin isn't necessarily animal-derived

Is it ever animal derived as an additive? I've not really looked in to it before.

The reason I said Morrisons salad cream wasn't vegan any more is because last time I checked it had egg in it.

thats what i thought gorilla,but on the allergy advice is says contains egg and mustard,which is probably what risker has seen,so i looked it up in my animal free shopper but couldnt find anything so assumed it was ok for vegans,but was still puzzled as to why it said 'contains egg' so looked fibroflavin up on the internet and the wikipedia encylopedia says 'egg white and egg yolk contains specialized riboflavin-binding proteins.which are required for storage of free ribrofavin in the egg for use by the developing embryo' so now i am a little confused!! So if anyone got anymore info on this I for one would be really grateful

Quote Gorilla View Post
    very nice on chips/fries

and plain pasta as i've recently discovered

Quote Gorilla View Post
    ... i thought everyone liked ketchup
    Nope, can't stand the stuff. I hate anything containing those slimy seedy red things

Don't seem to be able to get Tesco healthy living salad cream around here any more, have they stopped making it? (EDIT: No longer on their vegan list so it seems to be gone)

This is the 3rd vegan salad cream to disappear/go non vegan on me, are there any left? Is the co-op one still ok?