Thread: Leeds & Reading 2008

Default Leeds & Reading 2008

Hey guys, anyone going this year? I'd like to meet up with some forum folks if anyone's going to Leeds!

Default Re: Leeds & Reading 2008

Hmph I wish they wouldn't release the tickets before the full list of which bands are playing. All the tickets have sold out now I went in 2006 and it was great. I doubt I'll go this year even if they release more tickets as the line up doesn't look so good this year.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

You can usually buy tickets on the gate, I know people that do it every year and have never had a problem (at Reading at least, I doubt Leeds is much different)

Good news about the festival this year is it's no longer associated with Carling so you should be able to buy whatever beer you fancy.

Not sure what they've implemented yet but they're also doing some other stuff like allowing you to take your own food & drink into the arena, being less corporate, reducing the costs of food/drink/tickets and reducing the number of tickets they sell.

yes! going for the friday at reading, mainly to see rage against the machine. most of my friends have weekend tickets and are camping - does anyone know if its possible to get into the camping area without a weekend ticket? it would be good if i could stay in a friend's tent on the friday, and maybe hang around the campsite for a bit.

i was pretty shocked by the price of the tickets - i went to a 4 day festie in belgium for the price of my one day reading ticket!

Stu

Nope, you won't get into the camping area without the appropriate wristband. You could maybe get some friends to distract the security, then just leg it into the camp site. But you'd have to do it every time, which would increase your chances of getting caught. Plus, they'd probably recognise you after one or two occasions.

You sure stu? Has it changed recently because I've known many people who have just bought day tickets and stayed the whole weekend in camping, once you get through the main gate you're free to enter the camping area. Only problem is you cant leave the site or see any bands.

BTW, for anyone that still wants tickets and doesn't want to risk buying them on the door, they should be selling off a second batch at some point.

There are no special wristbands to get in to the camping bit (I've been since 2002) No-one checks- you basically go from the main arena to the campsite, there's no 'entrances' to the actual camp site from that direction (You just stumble upon seas of tents). You can only get in on the Weds with an early entry campsite pass, and on the thursday with a weekend ticket. After that... no probs.

However, if you park in the weekend car park and try to get through an entrance there with a day ticket they'll tell you where to go. You need a weekend ticket to get in from the car park side (they also check before you get to the car park you have as many weekend tickets as people in the car)

Stu

Are we talking about the same Reading Festival here? What I said definitely applied when I was there, but this was a few years ago. I haven't been for about maybe 4 years.

I was talking about Leeds (I've been 2002-2007) Not a clue about Reading as I've never been it probably is a bit different though, leeds being in a field not actually in Leeds and Reading actually being in Reading!

Last Reading I went to was 2002 and they directed us day ticket holders straight through the campsite in order to find the car park.

This may have changed.

I found this on the official leeds forum about changes this year as Carling are no longer the sponser. It also includes some info on day ticket holders camping as we have been discussing (note that this was on the Leeds forum and probably only applies to Leeds)

The Focus group met with Festival Republic tonight to discuss the festival. Thought you may be interested in what was said in response to the feedback that was put together. There will no doubt be some other posts about this so look around because I probably missed some stuff!

Here we go...

--> In terms of Drum & Bass - there are no plans to create a D&B tent or similar. Festival Republic feel this genre has been well covered through the booking of arguably one of the largest D&B acts - Pendulum. The fact that Leeds is primarily a rock festival was also mentioned.

--> In regard to an ambience tent - Festival Republic feel this is openly available via the oxfam tent. Cheesy tunes may also be requested here and of course at any of the camp site DJ's

--> In regard to seperating the Dance/lock up stage and giving longer availability. More dance would lead to the "watering down" of acts. Ultimately Festival Republic may struggle to fill the bill. There is also the issue of whom the artists feel "at home" playing to. At Creamfields for example they are guaranteed to draw an audeicne because of the strict genre of the festival whereas Leeds is different.

--> In regard to making the silent disco bigger. An extra 1,000 headsets will be available this year. The position of it will remain the same.

--> In regard to the NME/Radio 1 tent sizing issues. Alot of site management is going to take place in terms of moving the tents and stages around. The NME/Radio 1 tent will also be expanded and the speaker system that was in place last year outside the tent will return for those who would rather not etner it.

--> In regard to artist information - There will be an increase in the amount of personnel within the main arena and clear signals will be provided as to where festival goers can obtain information.

--> In regard to Futuresound - Yes it will be returning and will be set up the same way. It willnow be known as the "BBC Introducing Stage". Bands who play there will play at both Leeds & Reading.

--> In regard to CCTV - more will be put into operation, and specifically CCTV into the car park will be looked into.

--> In regard to CAT teams - CAT members are briefed and required to sign a contract with code of conduct, rules etc. You may also be interested to know the security is divided up between 3 different firms of which they are assigned to one of the following: Pit Work/Stages, Arena entrance and Campsites. The overall good reports a about security at last years festival means that as requested by many of you - they will be returning this year!

--> In regard to police presence. A covert capture tent was used last year however it was not openly publicised. Their effectiveness is based on the chances thaty a thief will choose that particular tent out of 35,000 odd!
    - Plain clothes police officers are at the festival and around 3 teams were used last year and worked closely with security. Introducing uniformed officers is not seen as a good idea due to the levels of tolerance they would require. Plus, a small number cannot be used so its either none at all or a large amount which doesn't really give off the right impression.

It is also worth noting - crime rates at Leeds are considered to be very good and last year there were less than 100 tent thefts, which is considerbaly lower than Reading! We have also been asked to reinforce the point of not leaving valuable in tents especially now considering the availability of lockers. The lockers will also be monitored and come with insurance.

--> More security will be present in the campsites and main arena.

--> The wellfare tent will be returning

--> In regard to tattoo/piercing facilities - this is not a decision by Festival Republic but deals with specific licensing law put in place by Leeds city council, so I wouldn't hold your breath basically.

--> In regard to taking alcohol into the arena - The answer is no, mainly in concern to the artists and the potential use of cans etc. as missiles.

--> In regard to the cost of alcohol - it is argued that in Leeds where the festival is located - the cost is similar and basically because you're in the middle of a field you pay slightly more for having that convenience!
    - On another note the alcohol we're getting this year is Carlsberg! The price is unknown but likely to remain similar!

--> An effort will be made to introduce a Smoothie stall.

--> In regard to the Signing tent - hopefully layout changes will solve any issues!

--> This is the same with the Oxfam tent and the queuing system will be sorted out

--> On the issue of water pricing - this is something that Fesitval Republic are going to come back to after they've spoken to vendors etc. However it is still stressed that empty/open bottles maybe be taken into the arena and filled up at the taps. The issue of low pressure and queuing for the taps will also be looked into.

--> In regard to getting a cocktail bar - not a massive demand for it and Jack Daniels provide cocktails. Similarly the same argument with getting real ale, the issue of storage is also a problem here and that gas is more expensive to use (thanks Jenko).

--> In regard to the Amnesty - unlikely to return but will be looked into.

--> In regard to selling ice - there is no reason why this can't be done and an effor will be made to implement this.

--> In regard to the souvenir beer mugs - because they are European only 1/3 of a litre of 1/2 litre sizes are produced and in the UK there is no current cleaning machines for these sizes therefor they all have to be hand washed. They were used at Latitude fesitval but it is smaller in size and therefore it was more managable to hand wash them. It is something currently being invested in and there is potential to see them intoruced in a few years time but not for this festival!

--> In regard to the 10 cup limit on the pint cup refund - this was not authorised at all and there will not be a limit this year. You will also be able to return 1/2 pint cups aswell for the same price. And if you're interested - last year there was a 93% return rate! Woo!

--> In regard to recycling - it is being considered that festival goers will receive 3/4 different waste bags at the wristband exchange. Each one for respective, Cans, plastics, general waste and tents.

--> In regard to campsite DJ's in Brown Camp - they will not be there this year!

--> A point was also raised regarding the deterioration of showers since they were first introduced - this is being looked into and hopefully will be sorted.

--> In regard to the return of the Strongbow loafing lounge - the answer is no. Its all based on the company and whether they wish to.

--> In regard to the cost of programmes - It is unlikely we will be seeing a price drop but correct timetables will be available online and signs at campsites are going to be put up.

--> In regard to providing free condoms by teaming up with a company - this is going to be looked into and may be possible. The only issue is with younger festival goers using them for the wrong reasons!

--> In regard to selling more merchandise online - this will definitely be available

--> In regard to the tickets being available for longer than a week after the festival - technically they are on sale until they all sell out so the week thing is just a guideline. The idea of releasing some more tickets at a later date perhaps around pre christmas time was also rasied and could well be put forward.

--> In regard to forum members having access to ticket reservations - no reason why this can't be set up and a certain benchmark can be used to clarify who is ledgable to receive them - such as the date a member joined.

--> In regard to the BBC not balancing the Reading and Leeds highlights - this is basically because Reading started first and is more historically known. Therefore the BBC will be able to gather a larger audience by broadcasting mainly Reading highlights, obviously they want more viewers so! There is also the fact that Reading is much closer to where The BBC is based in London and ultimately it would increase costs to send more people further up to Leeds.

--> In regard to publishing a Leeds DVD - the problem is when an act plays they own the rights to that performance and they may wish to include on one of their own releases so getting permission from artists is very hard.

--> In regard to getting different coloured wristbands for Under 18's - it will be looked into and either voulntarily (i.e. you can if u want) or strictly (you have to) enforced. If it is voluntarily enforced then a second wristband would be given additionally to the normal wristband.

--> In regard to having more entertainment in campsites such as twister etc - the idea is that people in the campsites make their own entertainment (I'm sure we all know of a few things) and the intention is to have the entertainment grow more around Piccadilly Circus.

--> In regard to Guitar Hero competition - currently in negotiations with Guitar Hero to get this so hopefully we should be seeing it!
    --> In regard to the Lynx man wash - again this is up to the company whether they wish to come or not.

--> In regard to preventing day ticket holders from camping - this is very hard to prevent unless controlled exits are put in place, however this is being discussed further.

--> In regard to entrance congestion - the main arena entrances will be made wider!

--> In regard to the lost and found system using a computer and a database - this was seen as a very sensible idea and will be set up.

--> In regard to having specific campsites play certain genres - this is a bit difficult to put into place and unfair on the DJ's because they volunteer to DJ for the campsite where they are camped and should be allowed to play what they wish. However requests will of course always be available!

--> In regard to having an initial incentive such as a free beer for handing in gas canisters as well as the prize draw - this is being looked into.

If you see any mistakes or feel something has been missed out please post a message below! You will notice that alot of things are noted down as "being looked into". This isn't an easy way of copping out; they genuinely will be looked into and discussed.

Hope this was helpful!

EDIT: Thanks to Darksun for keeping me right and adding this extra stuff:

• The NME stage will be moving to where the Alternative/Comedy stage was. It will also have a secondary barrier inside to ease crowd pressure (which won't be a 'golden circle', it'll work the same as the secondary barrier on the main stage)
    • The Alternative tent will be moving to where the Carling stage was last year, off to the side of the main stage
    • The old Carling stage (which definatly won't be called the carling stage) will either move to where the NME stage was, or possibly take the place of the Lockup/Dance tent, with that moving to where the NME stage was

Some people complained about sound levels on the main stage last year. However, FR's own measurements indicate this wasn't the case, with the levels being significantly louder than what is allowed at Reading

There will be specially designated 'information stewards' in the arena, armed with the latest info and able to answer questions.

The Lost & Found will be better organised this year, hopefully with the introduction of a computer system to move things along

The Gas Cannister exchange will be reviewed after it was noted that most people didn't consider entry into a prize draw to be much of an incentive. Possible alternatives being considered include either an instant reward, such as a drinks voucher, or a prize draw with a higher chance of winning smaller prize

Regarding the Real Ale issue, FR regard this as a 'niche market', and given the storage requirements, and just the fact it takes so much longer to pour a pint than it does lager, it's really not feasible at the bars.

Regarding the camp site DJs - Festival Republic are hoping to secure a license that will allow them to perform till 6AM (this was done last year in breach of license). However, it is planned that the ending of the DJs will be staggered accross campsites, with Brown finishing earliest (if DJs are there at all), with Yellow and the Village finishing last. This means that people who want a good nights sleep have the option to camp in brown, and people up for an all night party camp in Yellow (which tends to be what people do anyway)

A note on the BBC coverage - as stated, this is out of FR's hands. However, the BBC has promised an increased level of Radio coverage from Leeds. If people feel passionatly enough about this issue, it may be worth contacting the BBC to make your views known, if they get enough feedback they may reconsider.

To clarify the Under-18 wristband issue - an option that seems to be prefered by FR is the ability to get a wristband that can effectivly be used as ID at the bar.This means you only need your ID at the wristband exchange, and can leave it in a locker the rest of the time.

Some additional exits from the arena will be put in for use during the 'exodus' after everything finishes for the night
    http://forums.leedsfestival.com/tm.aspx?m=280048