Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Badger cull in wales (with updates)

Default Badger cull in wales (with updates)

Default Re: possible badger cull in wales?

Conservative rural affairs spokesman Brynle Williams AM said the announcement would be welcomed by farmers. "Clearly there will be opposition from wildlife groups to these proposals," he said.
    Bright isn't he

We need to enlist badger lover Johhny Kingdom as a high-profile opponent of the cull.

Default Re: possible badger cull in wales?

And for ages the Assembly seemed to be ruling out a cull.
    They haven't said which area it's planned for yet.
    It's outrageous that badgers should be blamed for the diseased state of the average dairy cow. Even Elin Jones, the Welsh Agriculture minister, has acknowledged that breeding for high production has led to stressed, diseased herds. And standing around in shitty sheds all winter is hardly health-promoting.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default Badger Cull Proposals 'Rejected'

Badger cull proposals 'rejected'

By Pallab Ghosh Science Correspondent, BBC News

View document here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7489000.stm

If link is lost - please read below:

Badgers have been blamed for the spread of TB in cattle

The government has decided against a cull of badgers in England to control TB in cattle, the BBC understands.

The policy announcement, due to be made next Monday, goes against the recommendations of the former chief scientific adviser, Sir David King. Last year he told ministers that culling badgers could be effective in controlling the spread of the disease.

The decision has angered the National Farmers' Union, which claims cattle TB has already cost the industry millions.

In April a "targeted cull" of badgers was announced in Wales as part of a plan to eradicate TB in cattle.

The Welsh Assembly Government's plan includes a one-off test of all cattle and a review of the compensation system.

It's not practical to carry out that kind of scorched-earth cull over a prolonged period for a policy that may not even work

NFU president Peter Kendall told BBC News that Westminster had "ducked the issue" and that the union would be organising a protest outside Parliament next week.

He added that farmers in England would be "devastated" by the decision.
    Some 4,000 herds were affected with TB in 2007, mainly in the south west of England, which was up nearly 18% on the previous year.

The NFU claims that if left unchecked, the disease would cost the government £1bn in compensation and control measures.

But ministers have instead accepted the scientific arguments of the Independent Scientific Group on TB in Cattle.

The ISG's analysis - an earlier and much larger study than Sir David's - concluded that culling badgers would not be economic.

And the Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has in the past also said that public acceptance would be a factor in determining the government's policy.

But Sir David said while he did not want to see badgers killed, the problem remained unresolved.

"In some areas the instance of TB in badgers is very high indeed and there is no policy at the moment for managing TB in badgers, and as long as that continues I'm afraid the epidemic will inexorably continue to spread across the country."

However, the decision was welcomed by prominent scientist Lord Krebs, who designed the experiments on the effectiveness of badger culling for the ISG.

"If this report [on the government's decision] is true then Hilary Benn has made the right decision," he said.

The ISG's analysis showed that sustained culling over a large area for five or six years might have some effect, "but even that is not clear-cut", according to Lord Krebs.

He said: "It's not practical to carry out that kind of scorched-earth cull over a prolonged period for a policy that may not even work."

According to Lord Krebs, the incidence of TB in cattle is increasing very slowly, and he believes that the disease could be brought under control through better surveillance and biosecurity.

Badger groups have fought a campaign against a mass cull.

Trevor Lawson, from the Badger Trust, said rejecting the idea of a badger cull would be the "right decision, based on sound science, which will allow farmers to move forwards in tackling this disease".

"There is no scientific, economic or practical case for culling badgers to control bovine TB," he said, adding that attention should be focused on cattle as "the main agents of the disease".

But the NFU's Mr Kendall said the disease was spreading at an "incredible" rate and needed to be dealt with.

"This is wiping out big chunks of UK farming and is ruining farming families and the rural economy. We need to take tough decisions. It's never popular but the farming industry will be devastated."

He added that the government was failing to show leadership.

"If we can't make difficult, disease-related decisions, based on science, we are in a mess," he said.

In May, a report by badger groups claimed the "virtual extermination" of badgers in the Republic of Ireland had failed to stop the spread of bovine TB.

But the NFU accused the groups of being selective in their use of figures and argued that controlled, selective culling of wildlife around infected farms in the Republic had brought considerable success in reducing the incidence of the disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7489000.stm
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Re: Badger Cull Proposals 'Rejected'

Yay! UP YOURS NFU!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I couldn't have put it better myself Holly.

Thank %^$! for that. Perhaps all our petitions and letter writing helped.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Yay! this is great news

Apparently farmers are furious and are arranging protests.

Quote Andy View Post
    Apparently farmers are furious and are arranging protests.
    Toffy sods.

Quote Cumin View Post
    I couldn't have put it better myself Holly.

Thank %^$! for that. Perhaps all our petitions and letter writing helped.
    I am sure they did. It is so great to see something go the right way for a change...although if my MP had had his way the cull would have gone ahead....loser
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Toffy sods.
    Why do you think farmers are Toffs?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    Why do you think farmers are Toffs?
    Well obviously not all farmers are, but those ones in question are so self-righteous that I feel within my rights to accuse them of toffery. And looking at some of the morons on the BBC "Have your say" debate....

Agreed ,
    BBC forums, even those of old (on TV + Radio), have been heavily populated by the self-righteous types.
    You've only got to say the words

"Dear BBC, I was disgusted/delighted/deluded to find..."

seitan

it has never been proven that badgers tranmit tb. the government cull badgers just to shut up the dumb f*ck farmers, who ,obviously believe its working.
    as for farmers being toffs, id say the minority are, but either way, i hate them.

Quote seitan View Post
    it has never been proven that badgers tranmit tb. the government cull badgers just to shut up the dumb f*ck farmers, who ,obviously believe its working.
    Thankfully they're now realising that the thousands killed in the 80s and 90s did nothing to halt or slow the spread. Stupid fuckers shouldn't have taken so long.

moggy

Copied from another site

Yes, fantastic news I'd say!! The Government has decided against a mass cull in England. Congrats to Viva, Badger Trust and all the other groups who campaigned against the cull.
    Sadly though, a mass slaughter will go ahead in Wales unless we stop it....
    From www.viva.ork.uk--

"Going against solid scientific advice the Welsh Assembly have recently voted to allow badger culling to go ahead in Wales. This will be a wildlife massacre of an almost unprecedented scale - and for nothing. The largest report into bovine TB found that badger culling would actually make the situation worse by displacing surviving badgers. It is not too late to try and make them see sense!

Please write a polite letter to Elin Jones AM, the Minister for Rural Affairs (whether you live in Wales or not!):

Elin Jones AM
    National Assembly for Wales
    Cardiff Bay
    Cardiff
    CF99 1NA

Or email: elin.jones@wales.gov.uk

using the following sample letter:

"Dear Minister

As a citizen of the UK I was extremely disappointed to hear that the Welsh Assembly has voted for a badger cull in Wales.

This move goes against the advice of the largest ever study into the spread of bovine TB which found that culling badgers would have no meaningful impact on the spread of the disease - and would actually make it worse. The real culprit is bad farming practices. Despite intensive culling of badgers in the Republic of Ireland the proportion of infected herds has remained largely constant since culling intensified in 2002. Whereas, Northern Ireland has virtually halved infection, through effective cattle controls without badger culling. I urge you to follow Northern Ireland's lead and call off the cull - it will achieve nothing, only needlessly cost the lives of thousands of wild animals and tarnish the reputation of Wales.

Yours sincerely"

Excellent! Do you think this will help make them back down in Wales?

Default Badger cull is a go ahead

Disgusting, ill informed, stupid greedy a$$holes...
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-25094480/

Default Re: Badger cull is a go ahead

Ugh, what a complete load of sh*te

FFS =/

The Lurker

Disgusting

I honestly thought it was something they had suggested but would come to realise was an unrealistic and extreme reaction. Really gutted

helen105281

Thats just awful.

Gah. I hate this sort of stuff. Profit - and the meat and dairy industry - come before any consideration of the wider world.

If my dog savages a sheep, the farmer shoots my dog.

If a cow wanders into my garden and ruins it, can I shoot the cow?

No. Not that I would want to shoot the cow but in my case it's my fault for not protecting my garden; in the farmer's case, it's still my fault, even though the farmer doesn't protect his animals.

I hate this blame of animals for just being.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes Elin Jones and the Assembly Government are just pandering to the prejudices of the dairy industry (as usual). They should take their duty as 'custodians' of the national herd more seriously....at least 40% of the Welsh dairy herd is lame (on average), meaning some herds have even higher levels of basic neglect. Everyone knows that historically TB tends to become endemic in stressed populations. Pembrokeshire farmers should try caring for their animals properly before scapegoating and then authorising mass genocide of another species.

The Assembly Government has sent out letters to everyone who owns land in the cull area (North Pembrokeshire) saying that surveyors will be coming to map badger setts, then contractors will be setting traps and returning to shoot all trapped badgers. They have created a whole new set of laws to criminalise anyone harbouring, concealing or protecting badgers or encouraging others to do so. The Badger Trust has applied for a Judicial Review of the decision to cull, so let us hope that will be successful.

Please donate to the Badger Trust to help pay their legal fees for the challenge of the government's decision to cull.

http://www.nfbg.org.uk/Content/Home.asp

^ Thanks for the link kokopelli.

Anybody in the 'Intensive Action Pilot Area', please get in touch with Pembrokeshire Against the Cull (PAC) and go to the Public Meeting on next Monday.

http://www.pembrokeshireagainstthecull.org.uk/

All support for the campaign against the badger cull in West Wales is VITAL now. The Welsh Assembly Government's sett survey is meant to be happening this month, with the trapping and shooting following this spring/summer, and then EVERY YEAR FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS

http://www.savethebadger.com/

Please help any way you can....email Elin Jones and tell her what you think of her decision to go ahead with the cull, based on exactly the same scientific evidence that led to Hilary Benn rejecting it in England. Tell her you won't be going on holiday any more to a country that sanctions this barbarism and lack of respect for native wildlife.

Elin.Jones@Wales.gov.uk

Quote kokopelli View Post
    Please donate to the Badger Trust to help pay their legal fees for the challenge of the government's decision to cull.

Donated.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I've also passed on the links included in the thread to several others.

Ruziko

Sickening. It's obvious the cause of TB spread is due to poor husbandry, not a freaking nocturnal animal that is unlikely to wonder among bovines!

Here's another good site to peruse, it gives some good info about the whole debate.

http://www.badger-killers.co.uk/bad_science.html

Thanks for the link David.

There's a programme about the cull on BBC Radio Wales 'Eye on Wales' programme on Monday 22nd February (tomorrow) at 6.35pm (it will also be on the BBC 'listen again')

1st March, St David's Day, Pembrokeshire Against the Cull supporters will be crossing the Old Severn Bridge into England at about 12.30pm.

There's also a rally in Cardiff on Monday 8th March organised by Save the Badger, they want as many people as possible to attend and assemble outside the Senedd at 11.45am. They're asking people to wear smart clothes and no badger costumes and to behave lawfully and non-violently.

Default Urgent badger petition

Please sign this petition to the Welsh Assembly Government to try to stop the badger cull going ahead:

http://www.assemblywales.org/gethome...n-petition.htm

They're planning to TRAP & KILL ALL BADGERS in North Pembrokeshire EVERY YEAR for the next FIVE YEARS.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Please write to the Assembly as well and tell them you won't be visiting Wales if this barbaric cull isn't stopped.

Default Re: Urgent badger petition

It looks as if you have to register on that site before you can sign the petition, and I'm not sure it wants people who aren't in Wales to register. I've had a go though and I will try and write to them anyway.

ETA it did let me register and sign the petition, thanks kokopelli

Yes, you can sign it even if you're not in Wales. The NFU are watching the progress of the Welsh cull closely because they want it extended to the rest of the UK and the Conservatives and Lib Dems say they will have a cull in England if they win. It's got to be stopped!

By the way, thanks harpy

Signed, thanks for posting that kokopelli

Thanks Suzanne
    Please everyone, don't forget to email everyone you know and get them to sign too!

BlackCats

Quote kokopelli View Post
    Please everyone, don't forget to email everyone you know and get them to sign too!
    Done.

Bad news, the badger cull has been declared legal:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8622873.stm

Bad news, the badger cull has been declared legal, despite the Badger Trust's arguments to support their application for judicial review of the government's decision to authorise culling:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8622873.stm

Default badger trust appeal

Last month, the Badger Trust applied for Judicial Review of the Welsh Assembly Government's decision to kill all the badgers in North Pembrokeshire over this coming summer and every year for the next 5 years at least. The judge rejected the Trust's arguments and ruled that the cull is legal

Now the Trust is appealing. Although they didn't have to pay the government's costs for the Judicial Review hearing, their own costs ran into tens of thousands of pounds and now they need more funds for legal fees.

Please support their appeal and donate now:

If the cull goes ahead, it's likely to be extended to other parts of Britain, to appease lobbying from the Farmers' Union. PLEASE HELP TO STOP IT NOW!

I live in the cull area and what they're planning defies belief. The government has given the legal power to enter land, at any time, against the owners' wishes, to contractors armed with guns who do not have to give their names. The government will not even confirm whether these people have had CRB checks, but landowners will be criminalised for obstructing them or interfering with the cull in any way.

Animal Aid has set up 'Cull Watch', to record and publicise the cull as it happens:

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...ldlife//2282//

Default Re: badger trust appeal

Just found out that the sett survey contract has gone to Thomson Ecology:

http://thomsonecology.com/page/home

They supposedly work to protect native wildlife!!!
    Apparently many of their employees are deeply unhappy that Thomson have taken on this job.

Default Re: badger trust appeal

Viva have started a boycott of Welsh dairy produce.
    Please tell all your non-vegan friends about the badger killing!

http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/badgers/boycott.htm

Default welsh badger cull news

This is a place to post news about the progress of the Welsh badger cull.
    Last edited by Korn; May 12th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Six existing trheads merged. Please don't start new ones...

Default Re: Badger cull in wales (with updates)

Hi,

I just merged 6 threads about this topic. Horrible story. Although it belongs to the Animal Cruelty section, we'll keep it in the public area for now.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Sorry, Korn, and thanks for merging the threads. This is an urgent current issue. The sett surveys are now underway and soon they will start trapping. The traps will be pre-baited with peanuts for about 10 days, then set at dusk to trap badgers during the night. At dawn, the trapped badgers will be transferred to specially-constructed killing cages to be shot and the carcasses removed for post mortem.

There are 900 land holdings in the cull area, only 368 are cattle farms and not all the cattle farmers agree with the cull, so the compulsory killing is being forced on most people against their wishes. It's difficult to describe the distress and anxiety this is causing to all the wildlife-loving people in the area.

Guildford-based Thomson Ecology have recently opened new offices in Cardiff. If the cull is allowed to go ahead, it's highly likely that it will be extended to the rest of Wales and other parts of the UK where TB is endemic in cattle. The Pembrokeshire cull is costing tax payers £9 million, so it's a massively lucrative contract for Thomson, who portray themselves as responsible, considerate, scientific and environmentally friendly.
    Last edited by kokopelli; May 16th, 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: changed 'dairy farms' to 'cattle farms'

Today the contractors turned up at 2 farms wearing balaclavas, without notice, accompanied by the police who arrested 3 people for 'obstruction' because on one farm they followed the surveyors around, and on the other, the farmer attempted to verify the ID of the balaclava-wearers. Shocking police-state tactics. A new low for the Assembly Government.

The story in the Western Telegraph:
    http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/ne...rotest/?ref=mr