Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Starbucks' vegan list

CuddlyChicken

Default Re: Starbucks' vegan list

Last edited by CuddlyChicken; Jun 26th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.

^^ I noticed that. I will be complaining as well.

Some of those foods never made it to the southern regions of the United States. We have too many panini options & coffee cakes but that's about it. And of course the essentials (oatmeal, cookies & bagels).
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

Starbucks apparently don't like vegans anymore. Really nothing but the crappy salad on their "spring 2012" list.

Link?

http://globalassets.starbucks.com/as...ing-140312.pdf

or if that doesn't work, click on "food nutrition" on this page, http://starbucks.co.uk/menu/nutrition

Ugh... so the US doesn't even have a vegan menu! I just sent in a comment to them that it would be lovely if they could do the same for us as they do for the UK.

Beware-Starbucks soy strawberries & creme frap not vegan

Although it seems that after a brief public outcry they will be changing it back.

Quote dragonrider
    Has anyone else noticed that Starbucks appear to have removed their vegan sandwich, the falafel pannini?.... I'm so disappointed as it was so lovely to be able to easily get a vegan sandwich in a high street coffee chain.
    I used to always get the falafel wrap, then it became the falafel pitta with much less falafel in it and then it became... nothing! I miss the convenience of it

Also there's a Starbucks on my college campus. I read here that the Starbucks soya mocha should be vegan and I got it a few times, then I started noticing a container of Galaxy hot chocolate powder behind the counter which probably has milk powder in it, I'm not sure if they use it in their mochas or not but it seemed weird for a Starbucks. Do they normally have a Starbucks brand cocoa powder or is it like the soya milk, they just get whatever brand they can get locally?
    Houmous atá ann!

They don't use cocoa powder, they use a chocolate syrup for the classic hot chocolate/mocha which is vegan and a something with cows milk for the signature hot chocolate. Why the have Galaxy back there is a mystery

Quote Firestorm
    They don't use cocoa powder, they use a chocolate syrup for the classic hot chocolate/mocha which is vegan and a something with cows milk for the signature hot chocolate. Why the have Galaxy back there is a mystery
    Thanks for replying FS. If they have a standard product that just makes it stranger! Luckily I'm finishing up my college exams next week and if I pass I won't have to deal with the mysterious Galaxy cocoa again!
    Houmous atá ann!

I wish there was a vegan list for the U.S...

I've been wanting to give Starbucks a try for quite some time. Any suggestions for a first timer?
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Soy mocha!

RubyDuby

triple venti vanilla soy latte is my go to drink. I also order the green tea soy latte from time to time, but if you don't like overly sweet be sure to ask for it to be unsweetened. The strawberries and creme and vanilla bean frappuccios are also yummy (cold, so better for this hot summer!) and vegan when prepared with soy milk.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Thanks for the suggestions, sounds yummy.

Quote Email Response
    Greetings Tiffany!

While we understand that some customers may have a need to know specific ingredient information prior to consuming a product, unfortunately we are unable to provide more in-depth information than what is currently available in the ingredient statement. If there are concerns about this product possibly containing an ingredient derived from a source that you do not wish to consume, we would recommend that product not be consumed.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth R
    customer service
    That is the second time I've tried to get anything out of them. How do you guys know what is vegan?
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

RubyDuby

They will read you the ingredients on anything if you ask. I know most of the syrups are and the chocolate syrup is for mochas and hot chocolate (if made with soy milk of course).
    Last edited by RubyDuby; Jul 15th, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: syrup not powder! oops

What about the ingredients that are questionable?

RubyDuby

Like what? I don't micromanage my diet. Worrying about being 100% pure just becomes frustrating and is counterproductive, imo.

There are always natural and artificial flavorings and other little weird ingredients in things that can come from animals, so I don't consume those if I don't know where they came from. Maybe Starbucks isn't that bad? I haven't seen the ingredients, I'm terribly shy so I like to know beforehand.

RubyDuby

You can find the ingredients lists for syrups here, which they use in flavored lattes and the syrup for mochas. I misstyped earlier when I said classic cocoa powder. sorry!

Thanks! That helps.
    I'm seeing natural and artificial flavors, which worry me since they can come from animal sources. I see lots of people and lists saying this and that is vegan, I wonder how you find out for sure? I don't know why they have an ingredients option in the email section if they can't answer anything. :/

RubyDuby

I don't know if there is a way to know for sure in this case. I guess I just assume that with something like syrup, if there is no egg or dairy allergy warning, what else could be in the flavor? I realize there is a chance it isn't 100% pure vegan, but natural/artificial ingredients comprise such a small part of the drink (one pump of syrup in the whole drink, the natural/artificial flavor is a tiny part of the syrup after water and sweetener), I'm willing to take the "risk" and do consider it vegan for all practical purposes. I realize not everyone will interpret veganism the same way I do. Unfortunately, this world is far from vegan friendly. No sense in making ourselves crazy.

Well, thanks for the responses. I don't want to consume anything that has intentionally had animal ingredients added to it, I understand your view as well but like you said not everyone interprets veganism like that. Maybe someone else has any more information? If not then I will just pass on Starbucks, maybe I'll make my own coffee drinks someday.

RubyDuby

Quote ShadowTears View Post
    I don't want to consume anything that has intentionally had animal ingredients added to it.
    Neither do I. I'm just assuming they're safe based on an educated guess. Of course, there's the option to skip it.

You should definitely get your own espresso/latte maker if you can! We have one, but the steamer broke.

I don't know anything about coffee, I'm just starting but it sounds fun! Sucks about your steamer, aww.

Oh my god! Look what I got!

Quote "Email Response
    Hi Tiffany,

My name is Odeki and I'm from Starbucks Customer Service.

Thank you for inquiring about our flavorings. Our flavorings, either natural or artificial, are not from an animal source.
    Thanks again for writing us. If you ever have any questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Odeki K
    customer service
    Thank you Odeki!!! Thought I would pass this along!

RubyDuby

neato! How did you finally get a response??

I tried just asking if they come from an animal source rather than ask if they're vegan. I figure they might just not want to get in trouble by telling us it's totally vegan and then something happens. I could be wrong, might have just been a lucky shot and I got a good responder. Hopefully what he said is true.

There's one more ingredient I'm curious about: caramel color. I've seen plenty say it's vegan, and then plenty say it can come from an animal or dairy source. Anyone know more about that?

So me and my dad went there the day before yesterday and I got that mocha frap.
    It was pretty good. Honestly it was a little watery and lacking in flavor, but I don't know what they're supposed to taste like. I liked it and my dad had a strawberries and creme frap, as well as one more for the ride and one to bring home to Mom (who also enjoyed it).
    We may be going again today or sometime soon seeing as my dad needs to go into town anyway. He wants to try a cappuccino, any suggestions?
    Oh, and the perfect oatmeal is vegan right? I kept reading that it is and ordered that as well.
    Is there any other food that's vegan? A bagel or something? There were soo many ingredients in them that I have no idea. (Enzymes?)

Yayy:

Also, here is the ingredient list for the soy milk I got from an email:

Hello Tiffany,

Thank you for contacting Starbucks.

To answer your inquiry, I have included the entire ingredient list for the Soy milk used in our location. I hope this is helpful.

Organic Vanilla Flavored Enriched Soymilk (offered in US Company Operated locations): Organic Soymilk (filtered water, whole organic soybeans), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Vanilla Flavor with other Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12

Nutrition (per 1 cup serving): Cal 130; total fat 4g; sodium 95mg; carb 16g; fiber 1g; protein 7g

*According to the manufacturer, there is no meat/dairy or meat/dairy derivatives found in this product

Thanks again for writing us. If you ever have any questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Sincerely,

Althea M
    customer service
    Last edited by ShadowTears; Jul 26th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

well that's good to know (: when I am out with my kids and they want hot chocolate we can go to starbucks now, ty for the list!
    Tanya

Finally a new vegan offering in Starbucks:

Quote Firestorm View Post
    Finally a new vegan offering in Starbucks:
    Very nice! I miss the falafel wraps, they were really nice and I don't see why they got rid of them. At least now they have some falafel again.
    Houmous atá ann!

I have to admit this was lovely, and a bargain at £3.95 with a free pack of weird crisps. Plus £2.85 for a latte.

Looks like Starbucks has finally made soy milk free! Noticed it had changed from the old 40p in my local this morning. Reached out to Starbucks to confirm this is nationwide and permanent.