Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks' vegan list

Default Re: Starbucks Vegan List

don't they have a vegan tattoo shop as well....damn oregon, so close yet so far!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

And strip club. But let's not get started on that one again...

hah no! not another 20 page thread with people virtually spitting at each other...

I want a vegan mini mall!!!!

(Not one with a strip club, I hasten to add. )

I know I am oober jealous...

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    In the US Starbucks do a vegan brownie.
    A vegan brownie

Bastards
    Not all of them have it. Only larger cities do. Not even the biggest city in my state offers it. Nor do any of the ones in Lousiana i've been too.

I'll bet Atlanta might. But if i'm going that far, I'd just go to one of their vegetarian/vegan/raw resturaunts and get something that isn't crappy.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Mahk

Animosity is correct that the vegan one must have limited distribution. The common brownie they sell near me has all sorts of no-no's. They make it pretty easy to tell what the ingredients are at a particular location here. Click "find your store" to begin, input your general location, and then hover your cursor over the store of choice when the map appears and select "view nutrition info".

My local Starbucks "espresso fudge brownie":
    INGREDIENTS:
    MARGARINE (VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND PALM OILS], WATER, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, NONFAT DRY MILK, SOY LECITHIN, SODIUM BENZOATE [PRESERVATIVE], ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE [COLOR]), SUGAR, WHOLE LIQUID EGGS, DARK BROWN SUGAR (BROWN SUGAR, CANE, CARAMEL COLOR), ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR [PROCESSED WITH ALKALI], COCOA BUTTER, BUTTER FAT, SOY LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER], SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), CORN SYRUP, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR [PROCESSED WITH ALKALI], COCOA BUTTER, MILKFAT, LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER], VANILLA), EVAPORATED MILK (MILK, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN D3), COCONUT OIL, COFFEE, VANILLA (NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ALCOHOL, WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SUGAR, CARAMEL COLOR), SALT, BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), LECITHIN.

Robeks which is a smoothie place here has vegan cookies...but I havn't tried them because they are about 500 calories...and when you are drinking a smoothie that is probably 500 calories that most likely won't be a good choice...

Quote Roxy View Post
    Correct!

I can confirm that the Chai contains honey in Canada too.

Is there a Hudson's in Brisbane do you know?

I had some soy latte's at Gloria Jean's when I was down there visiting my family.
    According to the Hudsons Coffee website, there are a few in Brisbane

Gloria Jean's have lovely cafes, with lots of warm atmostphere and comfy couches... but it's all just a big deception to lure you into ingesting the poison they serve that in certain circles must pass for coffee *raises snobby cafe-connoisseur nose*

As far as I know, all Starbucks, Peets, Seattle's Best, and Coffee Bean have vegan alternative drinks as long as you replace the dairy milk with soy milk. They all have fair trade choices as well.

Although, I have never seen any vegan food at these places, even the fruit has cheese mixed in and the vegetable sandwich has cheese on it.

[Just as a side note for Missbettie and/or Pennsylvanians] I know of a local place here called Saints Cafe which serves very good fair trade, organic coffee along with about five flavors of vegan cookies. I tried the peanut butter one.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Don't know if anyone is near Iowa City, Iowa or ever planning to go ther (though I don't know why anyone would), but if you're ever in the area, check out Fair Grounds coffeehouse. Everything is fair trade and organic and *everything* on the menu can be veganized. They have soy milk and soy whipped cream, and they don't charge extra for either. They make their own vegan chocolate syrup and their own vegan cheeses, which are amazing. They also have vegan nachos with homemade vegan sour cream and soy cheese, vegan waffles, and even a vegan chocolate melt sandwich. They also have the most delicious and inventive flavors, like hazelnut truffle latte, venice night (amaretto and cherry), almond joy (coconut+almond). Yum!! You wouldn't think a place in the middle of the Midwest would be that vegan-friendly... Iowa City also has a vegetarian Indian restaurant and a completely vegan, organic gourmet restaurant called Red Avocado. Many other restaurants in the area are vegan friendly and have vegan items clearly marked on the menu. So if you ever find yourself in Iowa, check out Iowa City!

Quote mariana View Post
    Don't know if anyone is near Iowa City, Iowa or ever planning to go ther (though I don't know why anyone would), but if you're ever in the area, check out Fair Grounds coffeehouse. Everything is fair trade and organic and *everything* on the menu can be veganized. They have soy milk and soy whipped cream, and they don't charge extra for either. They make their own vegan chocolate syrup and their own vegan cheeses, which are amazing. They also have vegan nachos with homemade vegan sour cream and soy cheese, vegan waffles, and even a vegan chocolate melt sandwich. They also have the most delicious and inventive flavors, like hazelnut truffle latte, venice night (amaretto and cherry), almond joy (coconut+almond). Yum!! You wouldn't think a place in the middle of the Midwest would be that vegan-friendly... Iowa City also has a vegetarian Indian restaurant and a completely vegan, organic gourmet restaurant called Red Avocado. Many other restaurants in the area are vegan friendly and have vegan items clearly marked on the menu. So if you ever find yourself in Iowa, check out Iowa City!

Wow! I wish we had a place like that...

Our Starbucks locations offer absolutely no vegan options food-wise. No vegan whipped cream, No vegan 'specialty' drinks. All you get is plain drinks with soy milk...

We have a fair-trade coffee shop in Birmingham. No vegan sweets, No soy whipped cream, No vegan 'specialty' drinks... They do have some food items suitable for vegans, Though. The good thing is that everything is fair-trade and shade grown. It's a start. And being that it's a small, Local bussiness. I'm sure they would be open to carrying things like that if they knew there was a market for it. Esspecially since my yoga classes will be right down the street and I will most certainly become a loyal customer.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Well it certainly sounds like a start! Maybe if you let them know you're interested (and if you know anyone else who might be interested and have them say something too) maybe they would carry more vegan products...it's worth a shot!
    I was pretty excited to find the place I was talking about, although the school where I go to college is an hour away from Iowa City so I only get to go to this coffee shop every couple of weeks (the college has a bus there every few weeks). The town I go to school in is really small and has very few vegan options. There used to be a health food store but now it's closing. But I'm so thankful to get to escape to this amazing vegan-friendly coffee shop every few weeks! Next year I'll be studying in London so I'll be happy to have a lot more vegan options. Hope you're able to convince them to maybe increase their vegan options--you never know, if enough people say something, maybe they will!

Quote Roxy View Post
    Correct!

I can confirm that the Chai contains honey in Canada too.

Is there a Hudson's in Brisbane do you know?

I had some soy latte's at Gloria Jean's when I was down there visiting my family.
    I've just enquired about the UK chai latte as I used to love them and got this reply

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Starbucks Coffee Company.
    Here are the ingredients of the Chai Tea Latte:

An infusion of water, black tea, cardamom, black peppers, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, natural flavors, star anise, organic cane sugar, honey, ginger juice, vanilla and citric acid."

I got a vegan falafel panini in Starbucks today. I hadn't seen it before. It had tomato salsa, spinach and sliced tomato and was YUMMY heated up
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

labelled vegan?

I personally wouldn't trust the heaty thing to be clean

Yes it was labelled vegan. I'm sure you're right about the grill thing though... I only thought about it afterwards

Quote Linxie View Post
    I've just enquired about the UK chai latte as I used to love them and got this reply

An infusion of water, black tea, cardamom, black peppers, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, natural flavors, star anise, organic cane sugar, honey, ginger juice, vanilla and citric acid."
    Noooooooooo!!!! I drink at least one of those a day! Or used to.....
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Quote Linxie View Post

how ridiculous. Have you emailed them to remove it from the vegan list?

Mahk

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    labelled vegan?

I personally wouldn't trust the heaty thing to be clean
    I've thought about this dilemma in other scenarios (woks) and I've come to a conclusion that I'm sure will baffle most readers here until I explain my logic. Here goes; asking to have the grille machine washed with soap and water, not just scraped off, prior to making the otherwise vegan falafel panini is less vegan than letting them do it their way! Here are the time lines of the two scenarios:

My way:

A) Customer prior to me has a beef panini and although it appears clean to the eye, lets say 137 beef molecules have fallen onto the grille surface. Keep in mind molecules are so small they are invisible to the unaided eye.

B) Omni Establishment cook preps grille for my vegan panini, with a quick scrape only, and 100 of the beef molecules are thrown away, leaving 37 still on the grille.

C) My panini is grilled and absorbs 10 of the remaining 37 beef molecules.

D) I eat the 10 molecule contaminated vegan panini.

Average Joe vegan's way:

A) Customer prior to Joe has a beef panini and 137 beef molecules fall onto the grille surface.

B) Joe asks the omni establishment cook to thoroughly wash the grille with soap and water prior to use and s/he gladly complies.

C) Cook washes away all 137 beef molecules from the grille surface along with 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 extra additional beef molecules by way of the non-vegan liquid soap the omni establishment uses. [Often sodium tallowate based, I believe.] I didn't just make that number up by the way. One teaspoon, or 5 grams, of water holds that many molecules, so liquid soap must be in the same ball park.

D) Joe eats vegan panini and is directly responsible for animal product consumption; whereas my contamination exposure was accidental, passive, and those 137 cow molecules were already dead by the time I arrived .

Joe's body may be more molecularly pure than I am by changing where those already dead 137 cow molecules end up, but I feel that already dead cow molecules are water under the bridge, you can't bring them back to life. Asking that 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 additional cow molecules be spent to relocate the 137 already dead and used ones to the drain and not to your stomach is an active use of animal product and therefore not vegan. By making the omni establishment use up more soap than they usually do per day you will force them to reorder it more quickly and that causes more cows to be killed to make the soap.

Did that all make sense, everyone?

I suppose one could carry their own packets of vegan soap and ask that their grill be washed with that instead but I think the cook would call the manager who would then call "the men in the little, white coats" to take you away.

You make far too many assumptions mahk for what you otherwise make out to be a logical argument.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Mahk

You make far too many assumptions mahk
    Please name them, Risker.
    ---------------------------------------------

To follow-up on my previous post, addressing everyone; my veganism is based on killing as few animals as possible, "wherever practical and possible". That is my top priority. Ingesting (accidentally due to cross-contamination) the fewest animal molecules, as is humanly possible, isn't even in my top three reasons. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I bet some others here in our forum would agree.

Quote Mahk View Post
    To follow-up on my previous post, addressing everyone; my veganism is based on killing as few animals as possible, "wherever practical and possible". That is my top priority. Ingesting (accidentally due to cross-contamination) the fewest animal molecules, as is humanly possible, isn't even in my top three reasons. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I bet some others here in our forum would agree.
    Well, you cheered me up anyway

This is my view on the panini heating situation: I personally don't worry too much about the grills being perfectly clean... I don't feel that eating a panini which is heated in the same place as non-vegan food is particularly contributing to animal suffering... and if it is, it is contributing in a verrry indirect way. It is simply impossible to consider the potential wider consequences of every single thing that we do, and to carefully weigh up the positives and negatives of each action. If veganism does require us to analyse every possible chain of events which we might bring about, then we are all doomed to fail miserably lol. Attempts at vegan perfection would indeed call for counting how many animal molecules are likely to be on grills etc like Mahk is trying to do.

Of course, there is the gross out factor of food being contaminated. And fair enough - I can totally understand that you don't want animal products on your food from that perspective. However... it doesn't bother me that much and I've eaten that falafel panini a couple of times. I thought it was yummy :].

Quote Mahk View Post
    Did that all make sense, everyone?

not really. I understand what you're saying, but I'd have thought we''re actually talking grams here, in terms of burnt cheese, animal fat, dried blood etc, not 137 molecules.

I personally wouldn't trust the average starbucks worker to be able to clean a contact grill that's been used for meat (especially not in any time less than 2 hours with strong cleaning products), so I wouldn't myself order something that requires cooking this way. It of course your choice what you do; if you can do so without wanting to throw up then that's great!

cobweb

ooh, that's why i just don't eat out these days - unless from a vegan establishment (and even then i would check for honey, etc as i no longer trust anyone!).

to me veganism is about doing what i can to avoid cruelty, and to avoid perpetuating cruelty, but also about living as free of animal derived substances as possible. If i felt i had eaten something with even a little bit of dead animal fat/blood on it, i would feel very uncomfortable/ill.

(that's not meant to be judgmental, just my own thoughts............)

Do those paninis have to be heated? I saw one and would have assumed it was eaten cold!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

well the wrap i've had from starbucks was just that - a flatbread wrap.

Just frigging eat it like the sarnie it is!

Mahk

Quote bexi View Post
    This is my view on the panini heating situation: I personally don't worry too much about the grills being perfectly clean... I don't feel that eating a panini which is heated in the same place as non-vegan food is particularly contributing to animal suffering... and if it is, it is contributing in a verrry indirect way.
    Using the grill directly (not washing it with soap first, that is) does not contribute to additional animal cruelty directly (or indirectly) at all. Those 137 dead cow molecules were on the scene before you (one) even entered the restaurant. That fraction of a cow suffered and died entirely because of outside reasons to you; namely the previous customer. You deciding where the molecules are disposed of changes the the total number of cows killed, as measured in molecules, how exactly? By insisting that they be washed down the drain does the total number of molecules magically decrease to 136? No, it doesn't. Choosing the location of disposal neither changes the total number of molecules now nor does it change (indirectly) when the restaurant will reorder more animal supplies.

However, by asking the cook to use an additional 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of non-vegan soap (one teaspoon), which s/he wouldn't normally do between every panini order, in order to wash away the original already dead 137 molecules you had nothing to do with is a direct form of animal product use so you are personally responsible for additional animal cruelty. That's how I see it. Indirectly one would also be contributing to animal cruelty in the sense that the restaurant will be re-ordering non-vegan soap sooner and perhaps in higher quantity, because of this added monthly use, I suppose.

My way: 137 dead cow molecules are on the scene when I arrive and their existence is outside of my control. I don't use any additional cow molecules to these during my stay and then I leave. Total cows killed for me = 0.

Joe Vegan's way: Same beginning but then he is personally responsible for calling for the use of 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 dead cow molecules, that normally wouldn't be used at all, in order to dispose of the 137 he had nothing to do with in the manner that suits him. Total cows killed for Joe Vegan= 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules.

Mahk

Quote Mr Flibble View Post

not really. I understand what you're saying, but I'd have thought we''re actually talking grams here, in terms of burnt cheese, animal fat, dried blood etc, not 137 molecules.
    From my way of thinking the quantity is (almost) immaterial. It could be, say, 137,000,000 molecules instead of 137 and the logic still holds. I don't want additional animals to be killed for me just so that I can feel that my body is more "pure". Like I said before, I prioritize keeping the number of animals killed on my behalf as low as possible, way before I care about my body's molecular "purity".

I personally wouldn't trust the average starbucks worker to be able to clean a contact grill that's been used for meat (especially not in any time less than 2 hours with strong cleaning products), so I wouldn't myself order something that requires cooking this way.
    Spend 2 hours on cleaning one surface?! An omni restaurant employee?! Not going to happen, trust me, I've worked in omni kitchens.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [I'm no longer addressing just Mr Flibble from here on in this post.]

So what method of cooking is safe? Boiling? How do you (one) know the pot of boiling water used to boil your plain rice noodles or plain vegan spaghetti wasn't boiling egg noodles a second before your order? Do you think omni restaurants make a fresh pot of boiling water per order? [They don't, I've seen it.] Would a vegan sandwich be safe? What if the knife that cut the bread was used to cut a loaf of non-vegan bread a second before your bread? Do you think omni restaurant employees would even think to wipe clean (assuming that's enough) a blade that passes through non-vegan bread before they cut your vegan bread? Non-vegan bread not gross enough to be of concern? What if it was used to cut a beef sandwich in half before your bread?

Me, if I personally thought molecular purity was important I wouldn't eat foods from omni companies, at omni restaurants, or at omni friends' houses. Cross contamination at the molecular level is unavoidable. Lucky for me I feel no guilt eating from omni suppliers at all; eating (possibly) cross contaminated food does not contribute to animal cruelty, not even by one molecule.

Trivia: In researching that there are 167,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 molecules of water in one teaspoon, I learned that that number is greater than the number of teaspoons of water in the Atlantic Ocean! Them molecules are tiny.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    But as well as the flatbread wrap they do a panini (I saw it for the first time today!) Two choices marked as vegan - impressive.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote bryzee86 View Post

Just frigging eat it like the sarnie it is!
    There's actually two falafel sandwiches there these days. One is a flat wrap and served cold and the other is a panini that's usually heated :]. Nice that there's a couple of choices for us vegans even if they are both falafel hehe.

Mahk, I agree with you. If we worry about the ethics of non-vegan stuff being on a grill, to avoid hypocricy, we should also worry about the ethics things like non-vegan cleaning products being used. However, I personally will just draw a line and accept that it is impossible to always work out what is optimally ethical... If something is vegan I'm not going to get worked up about possible contact with a teeny amount of animal products. I can understand that people get grossed out by this contact, like cobweb said, but I don't see how it's unethical to not be too bothered by it. Really I think that this is about people feeling uncomfortable and disgusted by consuming any animal products rather than about the harm minimisation aspect of veganism. This is fair enough.. but I guess I'm just icky and don't really mind a tiny bit of cross-contamination... tis pretty hard to avoid all together.

Oops Marrers got there first :]. Yep tis impressive. (*sigh* I spend way too much time in coffee shops)

Mahk

Bexi, right on! I can get a little defensive when I feel my "veganess", or a newcomer like talitha's, is being brought into question. Sorry everyone.

Quote cobweb View Post
    to me veganism is about doing what i can to avoid cruelty, and to avoid perpetuating cruelty, but also about living as free of animal derived substances as possible. If i felt i had eaten something with even a little bit of dead animal fat/blood on it, i would feel very uncomfortable/ill.

(that's not meant to be judgmental, just my own thoughts............)
    Cobweb, feeling poorly or ill makes sense. I would feel sick and be upset too, however I think it is important to note that I don't think one should feel any personal guilt about it at all, in my opinion. That is unproductive and bad for one's mental health. From the way I see it, whether I am poisoned intentionally by a Gordon Ramsey A-hole type, or accidentally by a clumsy omni restaurant employee cross contamination issue, it's not my fault at all; it's their fault. I am the victim, not the culprit. If I clearly state that I am vegan to my server or read ingredients that are clearly vegan, if I then find out otherwise I may be mad at them, but not at me. Are you the same, I hope?

Quote Marrers View Post
    But as well as the flatbread wrap they do a panini (I saw it for the first time today!) Two choices marked as vegan - impressive.
    shows how long it's been since I was in Starbucks last!

Quote Mahk View Post
    Bexi, right on! I can get a little defensive when I feel my "veganess", or a newcomer like talitha's, is being brought into question. Sorry everyone.

Cobweb, feeling poorly or ill makes sense. I would feel sick and be upset too, however I think it is important to note that I don't think one should feel any personal guilt about it at all, in my opinion. That is unproductive and bad for one's mental health. From the way I see it, whether I am poisoned intentionally by a Gordon Ramsey A-hole type, or accidentally by a clumsy omni restaurant employee cross contamination issue, it's not my fault at all; it's their fault. I am the victim, not the culprit. If I clearly state that I am vegan to my server or read ingredients that are clearly vegan, if I then find out otherwise I may be mad at them, but not at me. Are you the same, I hope?
    Sorry to get involved on your little discussion, but my mum always says "you chose to be vegan" (i.e. a guilt trip like i am at fault), the way I see it is, society CHOSES to go to the excess of murdering living beings JUST to eat them.. I therefore say "it's not my fault that everybody else eats meat"... afterall the world is non vegan... we just have to remember to stick to the right path against all odds..
    I still don't like to have seperate cookware at home, or eat in a mixed restaurant though... anybody else feel this way?

As far as the panini grill goes....could you ask them to wrap your panini in sandwich paper before they grill it?

We've got a deli at my work and I sometimes eat things from there that are heated in the panini grill but it's practice at our deli, to wrap a piece of sandwich paper around the item before it goes into the grill to stop cross contamination.

Starbucks would probably do it if you asked.

I just think it's wonderful that you guys get to have this conversation - dissecting the intricacies of your food from Starbucks. No coffee chains here even have vegan food options for us to dissect!

Where in Aus are you?

I'm in Melbourne, Roxy. I know I shouldn't complain :P

Melbourne is awesome!! Tang, we dont have any vegan food at our Starbucks here either. I don't mind it, whatever, I'm used to it here.

I had one of their flatbread wraps again this week, despite the fact that they told me months ago they were dropping it. Sales must have picked up - Hooray!
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Those panini sound good, all we have are baked goods with obvious eggs and probably all kinds of milk products.

desmond jones

anything chocolate/mocha flavored isnt vegan: there is milk powder in the mocha mix.

also, the flavor syrups all have sugar, and many of them contain "natural flavors," butter, etc.

LGBunny

Just to add about Chai Latte's - Nero's version is definately not vegan because they put milk in the powder they make it with.

RubyDuby

Quote tofuandpotatoes View Post
    anything chocolate/mocha flavored isnt vegan: there is milk powder in the mocha mix.
    i had one of the workers read the ingredients of the mocha powder to me and there was no milk... unless they started adding milk in the last couple of years...

do u know what the natural flavors are in the syrups? or is it just a guess? if there is actually butter in them then i have been misinformed. sugar is not necessarily not vegan.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

My best friend works for starbucks and said that all of the pre-prepared powders and mixes have whey in them. This includes the powders for fraps and mochas. I'm not sure what else they use it in, as I always just get plain coffee.

RubyDuby

are u kidding me??? mocha was safe. grr. oh well. too expensive anyway...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

This was like a year ago, though. Maybe they are fine?

I'd check with them, maybe you can look online?

My dad got a venti caffe mocha the other day and it was like $4 something, which is like ridiculous, anyway. I agree.

Wow that's cheap. It's almost twice that cost here.