Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks' vegan list

desmond jones

Default Re: Starbucks Vegan List

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    i had one of the workers read the ingredients of the mocha powder to me and there was no milk... unless they started adding milk in the last couple of years...

do u know what the natural flavors are in the syrups? or is it just a guess? if there is actually butter in them then i have been misinformed. sugar is not necessarily not vegan.

well, i live in California, and i read it. it had skim milk powder.

i don't, but when something is "butter toffee" flavored, or something else obviously unvegan, then the "natural flavor" would be from the source suggested. otherwise, it would be artificial

yes, that is true, but the opposite can also be said. sugar is not necessarily vegan. therefore, as vegans, we should look at the possibility that it is not vegan.

with the mentality of "it could be vegan," then the same can be said for glycerin, stearic acid, fat, lactose, etc.

RubyDuby

I'm pissed about the mochas. Did the guy just skip that ingredient when reading the ingredients to me???

anyway, about the sugar- 1/2 of sugar in US is cane sugar, 1/2 is beet sugar.
    beet sugar is never refined with bone char. cane sugar is refined with bone char about 1/2 the time.

I was not stating that the sugar is vegan. It sounded to me that you were saying it is unvegan, along with stating the syrups are unvegan without knowing if the ingredients are artificial or natural, but really it was just a guess.

I would like to know, but now knowing that I've had skim milk there after checking that there was no milk in it, I'm not going to Starbucks anymore.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Ruby, yeah it sucks that Starbucks doesnt have many vegan options. I just went on their site and suggested having more vegan foods and bevs for us! Vegan stuff is one of the top-rated suggestions.

I've decided to stop going to Starbucks, too. I've found a locally owned shop that sells fair trade coffee and even does hand-ground clover coffees. And the other shop up here has both vegan bevs and soups!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

desmond jones

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I'm pissed about the mochas. Did the guy just skip that ingredient when reading the ingredients to me???

anyway, about the sugar- 1/2 of sugar in US is cane sugar, 1/2 is beet sugar.
    beet sugar is never refined with bone char. cane sugar is refined with bone char about 1/2 the time.

I was not stating that the sugar is vegan. It sounded to me that you were saying it is unvegan, along with stating the syrups are unvegan without knowing if the ingredients are artificial or natural, but really it was just a guess.

I would like to know, but now knowing that I've had skim milk there after checking that there was no milk in it, I'm not going to Starbucks anymore.
    well, when i go there i just get plain unsweetened lattes and sweeten them with Sugar in the Raw, or i will request to have them sweetened with it.

but yeah, all starbucks powder mixes are based with dried skim milk.

you should check out Seattles Best! the coffee is better, and all the syrups are sweetened with aspartame (which isn't name brand, so it doesn't test on animals,) which isn't really healthy but is vegan.

however, they still used sugar-based sweetener, but you can get the drink sugar-free or unsweetened, which i normally get.

their mochas are still, sadly, milk-based.

T+P, I'm assuming you get soy milk? Plain latte would mean it was dairy. And aspartame has been tested on animals. I think most of the fake sweeteners are vegan, though I've never seen the bottles myself. They sell them at the grocery store, so I suppose you could check it out there.

I get soy milk lattes or the iced teas. I'm not every coffee smart and I don't know what exactly is in cappuccinos, frappes, mochas, etc, so I never get them.

In Toronto, some Starbucks have a vegan chocolate brownie. It just tastes like a really bland "Wacky Cake" with just a chocolatey coating for icing.

I wish they would get vegan salads! All the salads here come with cheese or chicken or something. Even the fruit salads are often packed as a combo with yogurt.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

desmond jones

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    T+P, I'm assuming you get soy milk? Plain latte would mean it was dairy. And aspartame has been tested on animals. I think most of the fake sweeteners are vegan, though I've never seen the bottles myself. They sell them at the grocery store, so I suppose you could check it out there.
    yeah, i always get soy (or rice if they have it.)

hmm, i thought only name brand aspartame was tested on animals. Seattles Best uses a generic, which i know because i asked the manager at the coffee shop. ohh well. i preffer to not even get aspartame sweetener, because i know it is unhealthy and supposebly increases the risk of cancer. not to mention, i have a possible mild form of epilepsy, which i'm supposed to be on medication for (stopped taking it, cuz it was antidepressants, which i didn't believe that i needed.) and the aspartame tends to mess with my migraines.

hmm, i didn't even know that vegan sugar substitutes were sold, other than chicory root startch (rare, expensive-ish) and this stuff called Sweet Leaf, which is SUPER expensive.

Disaster

I went into Starbucks today and as I couldn't see any felafel wraps or paninis I asked if they had any. I was told they have withdrawn them and replaced them with a bean melt wrap which is decidely NOT vegan

I don't know if this is national policy or will differ from store to store. Any one else had the same experience?
    Everywhere is walking distance... if you have the time

We don't have any vegan food in our Starbucks, never have... I'd be happy that they ever had them! You can go to the starbucks website and submit ideas. I submitted a vegan food request, along with ricemilk addition to the bev choices.

Quote talitha View Post
    Disaster

I went into Starbucks today and as I couldn't see any felafel wraps or paninis I asked if they had any. I was told they have withdrawn them and replaced them with a bean melt wrap which is decidely NOT vegan

I don't know if this is national policy or will differ from store to store. Any one else had the same experience?
    Aww no.. gutted! I noticed that they didn't have any the other day but thought that maybe they'd just run out. That sucks.

desmond jones

hmm
    they have some sandwhiches at my Starbucks that appear vegan, but i don't know what is in the bread.

i asked a guy in the claremont starbucks, who i knew was vegan, if they had any vegan foods, and he said "no, all of them contain refined sugar, and i can't determine whether it used bone char."
    it was him saying that that got me to cancel refined sugar out of my diet.

I was at Starbucks today and when the barista handed me my iced soy latte he told me that I could get free soymilk from now on if I registered a card (a gift card, which you can also add money to) at starbucks.com/card. I think it's available throughout the US but I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere. Anyway, if you register your card (you do have to give them your address), you get free soy and syrups every time you use the card, as well as free coffee refills and free beverage with every purchase of beans, and you get 2 free hours of wifi a day through AT&T. It seems like a pretty good deal to me (except for the giving out your address part)---especially since I hate that they make you pay extra for soy (Starbucks or elsewhere)!

Mahk

Mariana, that's a great tip. One could save tons of money if they went there often. I hate giving my address too, though.

Here's a link to all the fine print if anyone cares. Maybe one could pick up the card in person at the store and give a fake address, though?

I found this in their privacy statement:

You can opt-out of receiving marketing information at any time by changing the settings of your communication preferences, by following the unsubscribe links on any marketing sent to you, or by calling 1-800-STARBUC.

So that's good.

Using the card I could get the drink I usually get when I'm treating myself for about 50% off. I used to get grande caramel macchiatos (iced usually), then when I became vegan it had to be modified two ways: soy milk ($.40 upcharge) and substitute caramel syrup (vegan where I live by my standards, YMMV) instead of the caramel sauce which contains dairy. Maintain the vanilla syrup as is normally called for. Tastes pretty close. Now using the card I could order just a standard tall coffee with room, add cold soy milk, vanilla, and caramel syrups all for free. And then come back and get a refill of the same for free! It's made with normal coffee, not espresso, but all the other flavorings should be close.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Using the card I could get the drink I usually get when I'm treating myself for about 50% off. I used to get grande caramel macchiatos (iced usually), then when I became vegan it had to be modified two ways: soy milk ($.40 upcharge) and substitute caramel syrup (vegan where I live by my standards, YMMV) instead of the caramel sauce which contains dairy. Maintain the vanilla syrup as is normally called for. Tastes pretty close. Now using the card I could order just a standard tall coffee with room, add cold soy milk, vanilla, and caramel syrups all for free. And then come back and get a refill of the same for free! It's made with normal coffee, not espresso, but all the other flavorings should be close.
    That's awesome! Great thinking. Yeah, I usually won't give out my address but Starbucks already has mine (somebody gave me a $25 "customizable" gift card not realizing you have to design it online and have it shipped to your address at a charge of $4, which is ridiculous but I didn't want to waste the gift card). So I went ahead and signed up for the service and I'm looking forward to my free soymilk! I usually just get a soy latte so it won't save me as much as yours, but at least I'll save 30 cents every time I'm there. Btw, I signed up an hour ago and so far no e-mail spam *fingers crossed*. Thanks for the info on opting out of marketing stuff, though--might come in handy in the future.

When I used to go to Starbucks I'd always order my coffee plain, pay for it, and then ask for soymilk at the end counter. A friend that worked there said she didnt mind, I mean, its like 1 fl. oz. of soymilk!! BTW, are soy lattes more money than dairy lattes?

RubyDuby

It's their rule (around here anyway) that soy milk added to coffee is free.

ha - we have to pay extra for it in the UK.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    When I used to go to Starbucks I'd always order my coffee plain, pay for it, and then ask for soymilk at the end counter. A friend that worked there said she didnt mind, I mean, its like 1 fl. oz. of soymilk!! BTW, are soy lattes more money than dairy lattes?
    Soy lattes are the same price as a dairy latte but 30 cents extra for the soy.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    It's their rule (around here anyway) that soy milk added to coffee is free.
    No fair!

Quote mariana View Post
    Soy lattes are the same price as a dairy latte but 30 cents extra for the soy.
    How is that the same price? Am I being dim here?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Default Starbucks to close 600 US shops

http://business.theage.com.au/starbu...0702-306x.html

I learned a new word: "overgrowth".

desmond jones

Default Re: Starbucks to close 600 US shops

Quote Tangerine Dream View Post

ha the first thing i thought when i read your post was of a buff'd out tangerine. like, a muscley tangerine with arms flexing.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I went to starbucks down oxford street in borders bookshop and had a wrap labelled vegan. It was chickepa and falafel. It was lovely! I was unsure about hot chocolate so stuck to water. But was pleasantly suprised that they had a vegan wrap

Default Re: Starbucks to close 600 US shops

Quote Tangerine Dream View Post

So would that be closing the stores that they opened purely to drive other coffee shops out of business?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Cumin View Post
    How is that the same price? Am I being dim here?
    Sorry for the confusion...I meant that it's 30 cents more than a dairy latte--or 40 cents, depending where you are.

Mahk

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Quote tofuandpotatoes
    well, i live in California, and i read it. it had skim milk powder.
    I was curious why you two were getting different stories so I emailed and asked. Almost a week later I get an email that says to call 800-235-2883. [Hit zero to get to the CSR queue]

I asked if what they sold at the on-line store was the same as in the retail stores and he said yes. I never indicated where I was so I assume his answer is national. Only three ingredients and all vegan by my standards:

-cocoa powder processed with "alkali" (I would assume sodium bicarbonate, "baking soda")

-sugar

-vanillin, an artificial vanilla made from I think coal tar (?)

RubyDuby

that's awesome Mahk! thanks.

Thanks--that's good to know! I've never had a mocha there but I'm getting kind of bored of my usual latte and I wouldn't mind mixing it up a bit.

JC

i don't know if this has already been mentioned (because i can't be bothered to read the whole thread!) but the chai tea mix isn't vegan. i've seen that it's on the vegan list, but my friend works there and got me a box of the mix, but i've read the ingredients and it contains honey. bummer.

I just bought a Starbucks houmous & roasted vegetable wrap which I've not seen on sale before. Very tasty actually, and labelled vegan.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ooh. That sounds good Marrers.

I'll look forward to fighting for that in the queue at Starbucks ! I might have to actually prise it forecelly from the sweaty mits of some other poor person if they get there before me.
    The Starbucks I go to never seems to have enough felafel wraps so if I don't get there REALLY early they are all gone.

Its more intersting than it sounds too cos as well as the houmous and roasted veg it has ginger, sunflower seeds, carrot & onion chutney with shredded carrot and baby spinach.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Apparently in Austin they now have vegan frappuccinos: http://karisullivan.wordpress.com/20...n-frappuccino/. I read somewhere that they're supposedly introducing them across the US this summer.

Ooooh. That would make me so happy.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I know! I'm so excited!...except I don't know if I'll be in the US this summer, so I'm a little sad too because I might not get to take full advantage of it.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I was curious why you two were getting different stories so I emailed and asked. Almost a week later I get an email that says to call 800-235-2883. [Hit zero to get to the CSR queue]

I asked if what they sold at the on-line store was the same as in the retail stores and he said yes. I never indicated where I was so I assume his answer is national. Only three ingredients and all vegan by my standards:

-cocoa powder processed with "alkali" (I would assume sodium bicarbonate, "baking soda")

-sugar

-vanillin, an artificial vanilla made from I think coal tar (?)
    So does this mean that the mocha latte (without cream of course) is vegan?

I'm a Starbuck's Junkie. Love ther Goild Coast Blend of Coffee. Sometimes I splurge on a Soy Latte with sugar free Hazelnut.

Quote Marrers View Post
    Its more intersting than it sounds too cos as well as the houmous and roasted veg it has ginger, sunflower seeds, carrot & onion chutney with shredded carrot and baby spinach.
    Mmm. I had one of those when I was out last week to fuel my Christmas shopping. It was a lot nicer than the falafel ones they do, in my opinion.

Mahk

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    So does this mean that the mocha latte (without cream of course) is vegan?
    800-235-2883. [Hit zero to get to the CSR queue]

Quote Mahk View Post
    800-235-2883. [Hit zero to get to the CSR queue]
    Thanks!!

Yesterday when I was in Starbucks the barista handed me a book of 50p off coupons (one for each day until 29th January). They each have a date on them so you can only use one per day. Not sure if they're available throughout the UK or just certain branches but I think it's a pretty good deal!

The new Tea Lattes are great at Starbucks. I get the Black Tea Latte with Soy milk and sugar free vanilla. Perfect for a cold morning or night.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Don't forget - they do a falafel wrap we can have as well.
    WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS! Is that a UK only thing? They deff do not have many if any vegan food options around here. I love falafel, even if its crap at starbucks I'd still be happy since I go there for coffee on breaks anyway. Man I'm jealous....

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    WAIT ARE YOU SERIOUS! Is that a UK only thing? They deff do not have many if any vegan food options around here. I love falafel, even if its crap at starbucks I'd still be happy since I go there for coffee on breaks anyway. Man I'm jealous....
    Yeah, it's a UK only thing unfortunately. In the UK Starbucks also sells lemon and coriander hummus wraps! But I've heard of certain Starbucks in the US selling vegan brownies, and they don't do those in the UK (though I think it's only in a select few in the States).

Quote mariana View Post
    Yesterday when I was in Starbucks the barista handed me a book of 50p off coupons (one for each day until 29th January). They each have a date on them so you can only use one per day. Not sure if they're available throughout the UK or just certain branches but I think it's a pretty good deal!
    they sent me one of those, mean as they are

wait, the fruit salad is also vegan
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Mean?

yes, because it urges me to use all the vouchers! LOL
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

considering starbucks is on the boycott israel list, i'm less inclined to go there these days, 50p vouchers or no 50p vouchers...

i find it ridiculous that starbucks charges 45 cents extra to use soy milk instead of skim milk in their drinks... in Ontario, Canada, anyway. *rolls eyes*
    I dont think Second Cup charges though... maybe I should give them my business!

Clementine, a friend of mine told me that if you buy a Starbucks card (works like a gift card) and register it online, you can get soy milk and flavorings for free. I just got one a couple days ago.

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Does anyone know if the hot chocolate is vegan with soya milk in the uk?

cheers
    x