Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Starbucks' vegan list

Default Re: Starbucks Vegan List

as far as i remember it is "safe" as long as you get the one they use for their classic hot chocolate. it is the same one they use for their moccha. if i were you, i'd ask them when you order - just in case.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Clementine, a friend of mine told me that if you buy a Starbucks card (works like a gift card) and register it online, you can get soy milk and flavorings for free. I just got one a couple days ago.
    they'll do the same in the uk now, too. atm, it's only in the north of london, from the 24th on as well in the centre they told me. it should also be available throughout the uk then soon.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

I got a gift card for Christmas and registered for the free soy milk. I don't really like Starbucks though. I am looking forward to vegan frappucinos though. A place near me makes one but I haven't tried it yet.

As far as I know, all Starbucks, Peets, Seattle's Best, and Coffee Bean have vegan alternative drinks as long as you replace the dairy milk with soy milk. They all have fair trade choices as well.
    what vegan options are there for coffee bean? last time i went, the barista was vegan and helped me order. it was either tea, or a soy cafe latte. they use powders in all their drinks that have whey.. :/
    a hero begging change
    his sword across his knees.

Quote talitha View Post
    I got a vegan falafel panini in Starbucks today. I hadn't seen it before. It had tomato salsa, spinach and sliced tomato and was YUMMY heated up
    ive never seen these before! which starbucks carry these? ive only seen the breakfast sandwiches and wraps..
    a hero begging change

Mahk

I don't think falafel exists in US Starbucks, only Europe. The powder used to make hot chocolate/cocoa and similar drinks is whey-free and vegan.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I don't think falafel exists in US Starbucks, only Europe. The powder used to make hot chocolate/cocoa and similar drinks is whey-free and vegan.
    I think Coffee Bean is some kind of chain cafe; at least that's how I took it (I certainly hope coffee beans are vegan; I don't know what I'd do with myself without coffee! ).

Mahk

I reread that post and concluded the question was "Which are the drinks I could buy if I went to Starbucks and wanted a drink that was made from coffee?"

coffee bean is a kind of chain cafe, there's one in hastings for example, and they do soya milk. there aren't too many of them in the uk, like it seems.

ah, and don't worry, the coffee beans itself should be vegan, it's only a kind of fruit, collected and roasted - nothing else. (or at least in the major case nothing else)

Quote mariana View Post
    I think Coffee Bean is some kind of chain cafe; at least that's how I took it (I certainly hope coffee beans are vegan; I don't know what I'd do with myself without coffee! ).
    If coffee wasn't vegan... it's not even worth thinking about!!

(How sad we are...!)

Quote Elahiya View Post
    coffee bean is a kind of chain cafe, there's one in hastings for example, and they do soya milk. there aren't too many of them in the uk, like it seems.

ah, and don't worry, the coffee beans itself should be vegan, it's only a kind of fruit, collected and roasted - nothing else. (or at least in the major case nothing else)
    Quote Troutina View Post
    If coffee wasn't vegan... it's not even worth thinking about!!

(How sad we are...!)
    All I could think was....what if they do something crazy like shellac the beans or something (like they do to fruit)? Where would we be left without coffee? It really isn't worth thinking about!

Quote Mahk View Post

the powder referring to coffee bean? to be clear, we are talking about coffee bean and tea leaf, right? hahaha or starbucks? cause starbucks uses syrups.. hahaha sheesh. too many coffeehouses
    a hero begging change

JC

Quote mariana View Post
    All I could think was....what if they do something crazy like shellac the beans or something (like they do to fruit)? Where would we be left without coffee? It really isn't worth thinking about!
    Do they shellac all fruit?? Or just the shiny ones...? if they do, that's atrocious

Quote JC View Post
    Do they shellac all fruit?? Or just the shiny ones...? if they do, that's atrocious
    I don't know, I heard they do, but then I've also heard they don't (and then I've heard they don't shellac organic fruit, but others have told me they do). I've also heard of beeswax being used on fruit. I don't get why they need to coat them in ANYTHING. I just try to buy less shiny fruit where possible....

Edited:
    I found some threads about it--
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19503

Mahk

Quote lizmag View Post
    the powder referring to coffee bean? to be clear, we are talking about coffee bean and tea leaf, right? hahaha or starbucks? cause starbucks uses syrups.. hahaha sheesh. too many coffeehouses
    It is difficult to understand you since you don't capitalize store names and the stores are named after products they sell.
    ---

Starbuck's cocoa [AKA "hot chocolate"] is made from a powder which is whey-free and vegan. Of course one has to ask for soy milk instead of normal milk too.

JC

for me, the duller-skinned fruits are the most appealing! or maybe that's just because i know the dark secret behind the shiny fruits!!

Quote JC View Post
    for me, the duller-skinned fruits are the most appealing! or maybe that's just because i know the dark secret behind the shiny fruits!!
    Yeah, I agree. My family grew apples when I was younger, so I always associated the duller, less "perfect" look with delicious, home-grown apples. The really shiny apples always look kind of fake to me...and it's gross how if you scratch them with your fingernail all this wax stuff starts flaking off!

Mahk

"waxed" and "shellaced" I think look different. waxed I think is dull not shiny. ?

Since they don't label what is or isn't I've decided this is beyond the scope of what's "practical and/or possible". Alternatively I could live my life this way:

"Hi, remember me, Mahk? I'm the guy who has to ask every week if you still aren't waxing or shellacing the cucumbers and apples like you told me you didn't last week."

Not happening.

Windfall

lol Mahk!

I find it really tricky knowing whats shellaced or not... normally when I buy fruit somewhere when not really groceryshopping, its cause I cant find anyting else I can eat...

Where I normally shop for food I know what to go for

Quote Mahk View Post
    "waxed" and "shellaced" I think look different. waxed I think is dull not shiny. ?

Since they don't label what is or isn't I've decided this is beyond the scope of what's "practical and/or possible". Alternatively I could live my life this way:

"Hi, remember me, Mahk? I'm the guy who has to ask every week if you still aren't waxing or shellacing the cucumbers and apples like you told me you didn't last week."

Not happening.
    Really? I didn't know waxed ones were dull-looking. Hmm. Anyway, I have to agree with you on the practical and/or possible. I'll just keep buying duller-looking ones (because the shiny apples look kind of alien to me) and trying to buy from farmer's markets in the summer (I am guessing they probably don't wax or shellac, and the produce is usually better).

Also, I just googled it, and apparently in place of beeswax or shellac, fruits are sometimes coated in vegetable wax or petroleum-based wax (), so it could be that they're coated in vegan wax.

Hmm, this is really off-topic. Sorry!

Quote lizmag View Post
    the powder referring to Coffee Bean? to be clear, we are talking about Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, right? hahaha or Starbucks? cause Starbucks uses syrups.. hahaha sheesh. too many coffeehouses
    Let me help ya out Mahk.

Did I get that right Lizmag?

I prefer Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf myself, but its still rare that I will go to the corporate coffeehouses over the small mom and pop shops. Its good to know there are options and Charbucks though, since they are EVERYWHERE.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I prefer to go to the local coffee shops over the chains.

A new coffee shop opened recently in Las Vegas where all they sell is organic, fair trade coffee & tea. No extra charge for soy based drinks!

They USED to have vegan muffins but the baker was really wacko (for instance... regular muffins were the size of a baseball, vegan muffins were the size of a quarter ) and the owners stopped carrying the muffins when all the vegans complained about the size to cost ratio

They also have agave syrup, soy yogurt, vegan bagels and chocolate hemp spread!

Good news, us UK customers can now get soy and syrups free when you use a prepaid Starbucks card. Pick one up in store, top it up, and register it at http://www.starbucks.co.uk
    Free SOY

** UK related only***
    When I was in there the other day, I was told that the new spring menu would have some extra vegan items on it, but that they were stopping the felafel wrap. :-(
    Looking at the online menu, it does appear to have gone, but I see no extra stuff.
    Has anyone else been in recently to take a look?
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    ** UK related only***
    When I was in there the other day, I was told that the new spring menu would have some extra vegan items on it, but that they were stopping the felafel wrap. :-(
    Looking at the online menu, it does appear to have gone, but I see no extra stuff.
    Has anyone else been in recently to take a look?
    I did notice I hadn't seen the falafel wrap in awhile. I prefer the hummus wrap myself but it's sad to see a vegan item go. Do you know what the new vegan items are for the spring? It would be nice if they were offering vegan brownies like they apparently do in some parts of the US...but I'm probably hoping for too much.

Quote mariana View Post
    ....It would be nice if they were offering vegan brownies like they apparently do in some parts of the US...but I'm probably hoping for too much.
    I would expect to see Gordon Ramsey turn vegan before that happens.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin View Post
    I would expect to see Gordon Ramsey turn vegan before that happens.
    LOL

the only vegan items here in the uk are the houmous wrap with roasted vegs and the fruit salad at the moment.

I am so annoyed! Really worrying news, I read the ingredients on the humous wrap today. (in the UK)

I found L-Cystine in the indrediants.
    So guys, even though it is labelled vegan, it's not vegan.

I'm emailing them in anger now!

Don't jump the gun, Cysteine can come from vegetable sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-cysteine#Dietary_sources

Oh, I didn't know that, I just saw it and panicked. This reading labels thing is really hard.... :s

I have confirmation from Starbucks that the L-Cysteine is synthetically derived Yay!

Grrr bought two soya latte's in there today and got charged an extra 35p on each one. So because I'm not harming a cow I have to pay more :'(

if you go for the starbucks card, you won´t be charged anymore. neither for the soya milk nor for syrups

... a friend of mine told me that if you buy a Starbucks card (works like a gift card) and register it online, you can get soy milk and flavorings for free. I just got one a couple days ago.
    EDIT: oops! You already posted that, Elahiya! I didn't see it on the next page!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

leedsveg

Quote f2097 View Post
    Grrr bought two soya latte's in there today and got charged an extra 35p on each one. So because I'm not harming a cow I have to pay more :'(
    Maybe the best way to regard it is to think that you're paying (extra) so that the cow doesn't have to.

Quote Rakey View Post
    I have confirmation from Starbucks that the L-Cysteine is synthetically derived Yay!
    and it is definitely vegan, it is even labelled:

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Elahiya did you try the wrap? I had one at starbucks and thought it was such a treat. I love going into starbucks in borders bookshop. It's relaxing just siting their with a vegan wrap in one hand and a new shiny book in the other

I had one of those wraps saturday - so yummy! I wish I could recreate it at home, but I never can make things as good as someone else.
    Tons better than the soy cappuccino I had. (The coffee bit made me feel sick, but the froth was nice)

A vegan Barista I met while ordering at Starbucks, informed me that the Pumpkin Spice Syrup is not vegan, as it contains some sort of milk derivative. I was surprised but thankful for the info. Hope this helps as the seasonal drinks are beginning to come out.

RubyDuby

thanks kitty! that stinks though. :/
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I love my Starbucks! However there are a few issues. The only food mine has that is Vegan, are the bagels (which I get with Almond Butter) and oatmeal (which is a total ripp off). It's like 4 bucks (US) for a very small cup of oatmeal. Not filling, and not even a full serving. The Multi-Grain bagel is very yummy though! As for drinks, my Starbucks always has Soy Milk on the coffee bar in a container keeping it cold, and they do not charge for it. If you want a latte or specialty drink made with soy, then yes it is extra. I did find a loop hole for this. If you get yourself a gift card (you can start it for as low as 5 bucks) when you pay with it your soy and syrup extra's are free! And, you can set your card up for automatic refill on there website or put money on it whenever you want. The chai that mine uses is Tazo and I don't remember seeing honey listed in the ingrediants, but it's been a while since Ive had one. I'm interested in the Mocha being Vegan. I think they use Hershey's Chocolate syrup. Not sure if that has any milk products in it. I will have to check that out!

Zero

Starbucks in the UK are selling a Falafel Panini now which is tasty

Or as they put it.....

Falafel Panini
    Spiced tomato salsa with crumbled falafel, tomatoes, spinach and coriander on a stonebaked, wholewheat ciabatta. Less than 5% fat, vegan and delicious!
    http://starbucks.co.uk/en-GB/_Food/Hot+Panini.htm

and they're selling a 'perfect porridge' which your choice of milk, e.g. soya milk, over here in the uk

RubyDuby

Quote MyInnerHippie View Post
    As for drinks, my Starbucks always has Soy Milk on the coffee bar in a container keeping it cold, and they do not charge for it. If you want a latte or specialty drink made with soy, then yes it is extra.
    It was always like this in L.A. as well... well it was behind the counter, but always free in coffee and tea. Then here (upstate NY) I got charged 40 cents when they added it to my coffee in the drive thru. I even had to add more when I got to work bc they barely added any. I refuse to go to that one again. Whatever... saves me quite a bit of cash not going anyway.

Quote Zero View Post
    Starbucks in the UK are selling a Falafel Panini now which is tasty
    Mine had virtually no filling in it:

http://twitpic.com/n5jwc

Plus being a panini it doesn't taste as good if not warmed up, which obviously I did't choose as there's no cleaning of their equipment between use. Wish they still did the wraps - they were far better,
    Last edited by Mr Flibble; Oct 27th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I emailed Starbucks to get an updates list. Yeah, no such luck, but I will try again. I imagine our products here are the same in the US but one can never be sure.

Someone posted in this thread somewhere about there being two kinds of hot chocolate - signature and classic, or something like that? I went to Starbucks and asked if their hot chocolate had milk in it, she said they can make it with soy... didn't specify anything about more than one kind of hot chocolate. Does anyone have any more info on this?

I'm jealous of the vegan goodies you guys are getting there from Starbucks in the UK! We had a vegan brownie here for awhile... I had it a few separate times from different locations and it was pretty dull and dry and not very tasty at all.

Agreed that the oatmeal is expensive but it does the job in a pinch (ie: when I'm at the airport and there is literally nothing else even remotely vegan nor tasty available and I can't leave the building). I find it fairly filling but then again, it doesn't take much for me.

If you want a latte or specialty drink made with soy, then yes it is extra. I did find a loop hole for this. If you get yourself a gift card (you can start it for as low as 5 bucks) when you pay with it your soy and syrup extra's are free!
    I'm not sure I'd call this a "loophole" since they advertise that as being one of the benefits of having a registered card! At least they do here.

I am so jealous of the options in the UK. I am in the Philadelphia area and live in NJ. There are no good food options in my Starbucks. Boo!

Yeh, I guess your right, its not really a loop hole, but my SB didn't come out and tell me for months. Finally one very nice girl told me about it. They didn't have it advertised anywhere. And, Ive passed the info along to others who had no clue about either.

Quote sparklingsights View Post
    Someone posted in this thread somewhere about there being two kinds of hot chocolate - signature and classic, or something like that? I went to Starbucks and asked if their hot chocolate had milk in it, she said they can make it with soy... didn't specify anything about more than one kind of hot chocolate. Does anyone have any more info on this?
    maybe i mentioned it or someone else? anyway, as far as i'm concerned the classic would be 'safe' for us vegans. if your order a moccha, ask them just in case which of the chocolate types they're using and make sure you get it with the 'classic'-version.

but my SB didn't come out and tell me for months. Finally one very nice girl told me about it. They didn't have it advertised anywhere. And, Ive passed the info along to others who had no clue about either.
    Crazy. When it first came out here they were advertising it like crazy. I was pretty stoked when I found out, too! Free syrup is cool but I was really happy to not have to pay the extra for soy anymore. Seems so unfair really. The regular milk should cost more. Cruelty tax.

Quote Elahiya View Post
    if your order a moccha, ask them just in case which of the chocolate types they're using and make sure you get it with the 'classic'-version.
    Yeah, I think the next time I will go in I will find someone who might actually give a damn and ask them some proper questions. The girl I asked seemed pretty clueless.

Actually, I've been asking a LOT about ingredients lately, various places I go... I was very, very, very surprised by the amount of people who just say "I don't know." You don't know what you're selling? REALLY? And who says that to a customer anyway? "I don't know" and then stares at me blankly... if you don't know, go find out! Don't just stand there and expect me to go away. ...Sadly, this situation was extremely common in the past week. I have no idea what's up with people!

Quote sparklingsights View Post
    Actually, I've been asking a LOT about ingredients lately, various places I go... I was very, very, very surprised by the amount of people who just say "I don't know." You don't know what you're selling? REALLY? And who says that to a customer anyway? "I don't know" and then stares at me blankly... if you don't know, go find out! Don't just stand there and expect me to go away. ...Sadly, this situation was extremely common in the past week. I have no idea what's up with people!
    yeah, i got the same reaction a couple of times as well. when they replied they wouldn't know and kept staring at me i simply asked them if they could take a look (which is a bit surprising to me that you have to ask them to do so. in my opinion it's part of the customer service?)
    on the other hand i experienced it quite often at coffee shops, be it starbucks or others, that the baristas would go and check ingredients and even show the labels to me.

the funniest i've ever seen was at a nero branch. they always ask you at coffee shops if you'd like to have any cake or muffin. as usual, i replied with 'no thanks, none of them are vegan'. the girl only stared at my and asked me completely puzzled what 'vegan' is, she'd only know vegetarian yes, things like that happen in central london...

My partner and I just had the best experience this evening in one of our Starbucks - we espied the previously mentioned falafel panini. We then asked the people serving if they had any foil they could wrap the panini in before heating it (otherwise, we would have it cold). They didn't have foil, but they instead wrapped it in greaseproof paper which they use for heating their pastries. And then the barista said, guess I'd better crack open the soya milk! They were really good with it all (which we should expect, but it's still not the norm).

And the panini was divine!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

RubyDuby

What a difference good customer service makes.